Photoshop Thread

JoeRudi26

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to know how you make the metal borders. They kick my butt every time I try.

I don't really have a certain technique for the metal frames that you're talking about. For something like that (and a lot of other things), I just go in and figure it out until I get what I want. I probably wouldn't do it the same way twice. Something like the post score board that's in this tutorial is so much easier than it looks, and it's pretty much just done in shapes/layers, with a few gradients and transparencies thrown in for cosmetics. Pretty simple to just list each step.

But hey man, feel free to jump in any time if you want or see something that could be helpful. The more the better.

The next step you could take on this template is to start adding your text. Since there's obviously a good amount of text/information on one template, it is imperative that you keep your text lined up, both vertically and horizontally. The template is really just the foundation for the information, and most of the information is the text. Being able to read the information with ease is key, especially when you're dealing with a lot of numbers/stats. I've seen a lot of good templates over the last few years (on this site) that were very well done, but completely thrown off track due to either jumbled text and/or bad choices in font.

When lining up your text, you must use your pre made guides.

I started off with a simple font (Ariel), something that serves it's purpose and is easy to read. In the White Away Team Bar, I typed AWAY TEAM (0-0) for the information. Knowing that I'm going to add the Yellow Triangle Player Indicators (seen on the original template earlier in this thread) later on the Blue Player Stat Bars below, I space the AWAY TEAM (0-0) to the right to allow for room, because I want the text below to lineup directly under it. Next, I created a new text layer and chose the TEXT TOOL.

I type my next line of information, which would be the player's name (PLAYER on the template), and using my Vertical Line Guide, I place it on the top Blue Player Stat Bar and line it up on the left hand side with the text above (AWAY TEAM (0-0). Creating a new layer, I next type in this player's stats from the game, which is 0-0 HR (0) on the template. I then move the stat text to the right and place it appropriately on the top Blue Player Stat Bar, using my Horizontal Guild to keep it lined up with the bottom of the PLAYER text.

*you will move the Horizontal Guide up and down the template for each row of text*

As you will come to find out, text is fairly easy to do on these templates because it's basically a repetitive process. Once you have your first "line" of text Player 0-0 HR (0), simply highlight those layers in the layer box, right click and duplicate them. With the newly duplicated layers still highlighted, choose your Move Tool, (Ctrl+v), and with your arrows move the text layers down on the template. Always use your guides to line up the text both vertically and horizontally to put it place, using the first text layer as your base.

Just a quick note: Lining up text becomes easy after you have the first lines in place, but once you have all the text you need, you may still have to go back and adjust to make sure everything fits. This is due to the room you have on the background, ie, what you're putting your text over. Either this, or you can simply adjust the background layer, making it bigger or smaller with the Scale option: Edit > Transform > Scale.

CC (if you see this), I saw your post over at VSN in the dynasty template's thread. Awesome stuff, I can't believe how improved your skills have gotten since the end of last season - which really brings me to my point. I was just wondering if you're planning on posting your season here as well, and which game you're planning on going with, if you even know at this point. If so, I'd recommend posting some of your work here in this thread for feedback, etc., before the season gets started.

I've been working on some things too, but as I stated earlier, I'm keeping most things under wraps until opening day. Since I'm presenting a 'fantasy season' this year, I don't really want to give away what I'm got in mind. With endless possibilities and no real guideline to follow, I'll be able to add and build my storyline as the season progresses.

I guarantee no one will see this one coming. 8)

Anyway, I'll be going with The Show 10 (fingers crossed for 2K), and here's a small sample of what I'm working on: Don't pay attention to the text, still a work in progress

That's sweet JR.... Hope to see it in action soon.

Thanks man, here's another one I've been working on, trying to improve on one I made last year.  It's still a WIP and I welcome all feedback/criticism.  If we can get enough people here that plan on playing The Show online and are setting up a dynasty manager/website page, I wouldn't mind making these for each team/league.  From my perspective, it sort of depends on what 2K does.  If their title is legit this year, I'm sure I'll gravitate to the PC game.  Either way, I'll be presenting something.

That's just brilliant! :clapping:

Thank you, sir. :hi:

I still need to think of something creative for the background. The new graphics these days (ESPN, CBS, etc.) are using backgrounds with some sort of moving animation. Sucks I can't (obviously) do anything about it in PS, I would if I could.

Man, c'mon March 2nd, I can't take it anymore..

EDIT - BTW, nice sig. :good:

Thank you, sir.    :hi:

I still need to think of something creative for the background.  The new graphics these days (ESPN, CBS, etc.) are using backgrounds with some sort of moving animation.  Sucks I can't (obviously) do anything about it in PS, I would if I could.

Man, c'mon March 2nd, I can't take it anymore..

EDIT - BTW, nice sig.   :good:

Actually you could incorporate a moving background... Once you update the score and stats of the template... you could save it as one image and cut around the static part... then reopen photoshop and make the moving background by saving it by a gif. Kind of hard to explain, but that's the jist of it. Anyways, the bevel and emboss looks overdone, and the font doesn't look right for some reason.

Actually you could incorporate a moving background... Once you update the score and stats of the template... you could save it as one image and cut around the static part... then reopen photoshop and make the moving background by saving it by a gif. Kind of hard to explain, but that's the jist of it. Anyways, the bevel and emboss looks overdone, and the font doesn't look right for some reason.

I've actually tried my hand at making GIFs in Photoshop, and to be honest, it's more work than it's worth.  I really haven't looked around to see if it exists, but I was thinking there may be graphic making programs outside of Photoshop that could incorporate moving objects/animation.  No big deal really, it's not something I have to have.

As far as the template, here's the one I was going off of.  I'd like to be able to emulate it to a tee, but I've tried, it's pretty difficult.  I'd like to have the text they use too, but of course it's nowhere to be found.  Either way, I'll tweak it here or there, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

But hey man, thanks for the input!    :good:

on the layout modeled after the NBA layout, I'd like to know 2 things:

1. How you made those "banners" at the top, with the background all 3-d and slanted and ****.

2. How you made the scoreboard in the middle overlap the two banners, creating yet another really cool 3-d effect.

If it's really too complicated to describe, then could you maybe find a tut online that explains it better and link it to me?

Thanks again, you truly are the king of PS!

on the layout modeled after the NBA layout, I'd like to know 2 things:

1. How you made those "banners" at the top, with the background all 3-d and slanted and ****.

2. How you made the scoreboard in the middle overlap the two banners, creating yet another really cool 3-d effect.

If it's really too complicated to describe, then could you maybe find a tut online that explains it better and link it to me?

Thanks again, you truly are the king of PS!

To be quite honest, the team background panels (banners) are probably the most difficult thing I've done to this point in PS.   99% of the time I don't use tutorials because it's really been impossible to find the things I'm particularly making, and I know from experience that figuring it out myself leads to being better skilled down the road.

But anyway, it's all done through the Bevel and Emboss option found at the bottom of the layer pallet.  Highlight your layer, and click on the Add A Layer Style option at the bottom and go to Bevel and Emboss.  From there, mess with each and every option until you start to get your desired effect.  If there were one simple way to teach this, I'd do it, but there just isn't.   

Hopefully that gets you started, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

To be quite honest, the team background panels (banners) are probably the most difficult thing I've done to this point in PS.   99% of the time I don't use tutorials because it's really been impossible to find the things I'm particularly making, and I know from experience that figuring it out myself leads to being better skilled down the road.

But anyway, it's all done through the Bevel and Emboss option found at the bottom of the layer pallet.  Highlight your layer, and click on the Add A Layer Style option at the bottom and go to Bevel and Emboss.  From there, mess with each and every option until you start to get your desired effect.  If there were one simple way to teach this, I'd do it, but there just isn't.   

Hopefully that gets you started, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

It's ok, thanks, though, lol :p

Do you know a good place to get good logos from? Most of the logo images I find have a white background, which means I have to cut out the logos, which is a huge pain in the butt.

It's ok, thanks, though, lol :p

Do you know a good place to get good logos from? Most of the logo images I find have a white background, which means I have to cut out the logos, which is a huge pain in the butt.

Here's one of the best sites I know:

http://www.chriscreamer.com/

Good luck.   ^_^

I've been messing around with photoshop because me and my friends want to have a legit stickball league and I came up with these.

Me.png

sfsdfsd.png

I tried to make it as close to CSN Philly as possible because I live right outside there.

Edit: I know it doesn't make sense to have 23 homeruns and 8 rbis, I just tried to finish it and show my friends quick.

• 1 month later...

really awesome work bro, i was wondering is there some kind of photo shop 7 guide that really breaks things down how to use some of the tools, ive found a cpl videos on you tube, but still need some guidance, specially on swapping out ads in these iff files. really good skills you have though, keep it up. :drinks:

really awesome work bro, i was wondering is there some kind of photo shop 7 guide that really breaks things down how to use some of the tools, ive found a cpl videos on you tube, but still need some guidance, specially on swapping out ads in these iff files. really good skills you have though, keep it up.  :drinks:

I really don't know anything specifically that breaks down the tools. I learned from trial and error and tutorials I found on the net.

BUT, I'm sure what you're looking for is out there.  I'd like to find something like that myself.

Anyway, wish I could help, good luck.

I really don't know anything specifically that breaks down the tools. I learned from trial and error and tutorials I found on the net.

BUT, I'm sure what you're looking for is out there.  I'd like to find something like that myself.

Anyway, wish I could help, good luck.

ok thx bro, i was able to mess around opening a image .iff but like u said really hard trying to find info on it, your right gonna take a lot of trial & error.

I've been messing around with photoshop because me and my friends want to have a legit stickball league and I came up with these.

sfsdfsd.png

I tried to make it as close to CSN Philly as possible because I live right outside there.

Edit: I know it doesn't make sense to have 23 homeruns and 8 rbis, I just tried to finish it and show my friends quick.

That looks really nice!

• 2 months later...

Archived