Ranking

NYM

Do you think rankings should be on this site?  

20 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

instead of factoring soley on posts.... why not factor the amount of time one has been on the forum and the # of the posts? that would reward consistent members rather than ones who in one month post 400 times and dont contribute any worthwhile messages

**** ... i'd be the Creator of Baseball in that matter. i used to have like 20 posts per day.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell me something, what do the rankings imply if they are based on the number of posts? There is no added value of having the title of "Legend" when we all can already see who posts a lot and who doesn't. In my opinion the ranking system should award people for making quality posts that are of some value to the MVPmods community.

Then again, what is value to one person might not be for another.

Example: Discussion in the MLB sticky threads that are not about the Yankees. If I go in the Met thread, or the Red Sox one, there's nothing of value in there for me. I gain nothing about reading how great and wonderful the Red Sox are. But the Sox fans in here see it different. That's their kind of thread, but not mine because like in the Wizard of Oz, I'm like the Scarecrow and I was born with a brain.

now who is to decide which posts are generated as "quality" and which are garbage? that's MY question ...

First of all, I suggest that only posts made that are related to the MVP game get rewarded. Now, to take it a step further, posts that answer a question or solve a problem should be rewarded greatly. That is one of the big reasons why we are all here. We want to learn from others and share knowledge.

The thing is that in the end, a member's ranking will mean nothing. We all have reputations and those reputations speak louder than any ranking that one can attain.

Also, we all already know that a high post count does not indicate that a member is of more value that of one with a lower post count. Some have boosted their post count by participating in fights. Those individuals should not be rewarded with the title of "Legend".

I will agree that awarding posts on a 'value' based system will be a difficult task, but in the end that is the only way that the rankings will fit the individual. People need encouragement to make posts that in some way contribute and this is one way of boosting the overall effectiveness of this site.

First of all, I suggest that only posts made that are related to the MVP game get rewarded. Now, to take it a step further, posts that answer a question or solve a problem should be rewarded greatly. That is one of the big reasons why we are all here. We want to learn from others and share knowledge.

I agree, If there is a ranking system it should be reward based somehow. Now finding one that works well is another story.

The thing is that in the end, a member's ranking will mean nothing. We all have reputations and those reputations mean more than ranking that one person can attain.

Also, we all already know that a high post count does not indicate that a member is of more value that of one with a lower post count. Some have boosted their post count by participating in fights. Those individuals should not be rewarded with the title of "Legend".

I will agree that awarding posts on a 'value' based system will be a difficult task, but in the end that is the only way that the rankings will fit the individual. People need encouragement to make posts that in some way contribute and this is one way of boosting the overall effectiveness of this site.

Makes sense man. And this is a hard thing to implement, which is why Trues was reluctant to do it in the past.

Strictly my opinion here, but I don't care how many posts a person has under their user name. The more they have, that means the more they spend time here and the more they are getting use out of this site.

Maybe instead of using titles such as All-Star, MVP and Legend we should instead identify members based upon their accomplishments. For example, Umachines and Kccitystar are 'Uniform Gods', Ezorn and Kamasutra are 'Stadium Architects', Moose is a 'Forum Enthusiast' and Yankees4Life is 'The Law'.

This will not only recognize a member's talents but it will also help to introduce existing members to new members. If in the future people want to ask a question about something in particular they would already have a good idea of who to ask.

What do you think??

Archived