After Installing A New Power Supply/video Card..

MilkmanAnt

Did you delete the drivers for the old video card before you removed it? It's usually a good idea to do that to make sure that once you install the drivers for the new card you do not have any conflicts between the old drivers and the new ones.

Do both the old and new cards have the same chipset (i.e. both Radeons or both Nvidia, etc.)? If so, you may be OK to leave the older drivers there. It's more important that you do this when you switch from one chip set to another, like I did when I replaced my Radeon card with an Nvidia card.

It probably wouldn't hurt, however, to get rid of the older drivers.

Do both the old and new cards have the same chipset (i.e. both Radeons or both Nvidia, etc.)? If so, you may be OK to leave the older drivers there. It's more important that you do this when you switch from one chip set to another, like I did when I replaced my Radeon card with an Nvidia card.

It probably wouldn't hurt, however, to get rid of the older drivers.

Both ATI Radeons. I decided to just put it back in and remove anything ATI. I just got the knock on the door, so I'm gonna head on and install this thing.

One more thing, should I install the Catalyst thing first or the 4850 itself?

Both ATI Radeons. I decided to just put it back in and remove anything ATI. I just got the knock on the door, so I'm gonna head on and install this thing.

One more thing, should I install the Catalyst thing first or the 4850 itself?

Install the video card first. Then install CCC & the drivers for the card.

*If I see smoke coming from Brooklyn... then I know you messed something up. 8)

Good luck MM.

I believe the drivers are different for the 3400 and the 4000 series of Radeons. What operating system are you running? If an ATI entry appears under the "add/remove programs" part of the control panel, then you should be able to select "change", and then click "uninstall all ATI programs/drivers" or something similar at the bottom of the next list. I've had an easier time of uninstalling in XP 32 bit compared to Windows 7, but your mileage may vary.

Then, install Driver Sweeper and wipe everything out: http://www.phyxion.net/Downloads/

Now, are you ever thinking of crossfiring with another card, or does your board/PSU even handle crossfiring? If so, you may want to install the 8.10 (not 8.11, or 8.1, or 8.12, 8.10. *8.10*.) drivers for the 4850 rather than anything more recent, since the 8.1 is the last update where crossfiring was mildly stable.

Any other questions, let me know. I'd be happy if my tremendous misery from this weekend ended up with good for somebody.

Install the video card first. Then install CCC & the drivers for the card.

*If I see smoke coming from Brooklyn... then I know you messed something up. 8)

Good luck MM.

Lol...this thing is gigantic! So if smoke does come, duck for cover! :excl:

It fits well, although it barely entered the CPU. Maestro thanks for your words in those messages. I had to jump out of my shell and go to work. It was fun messing around with these kind of things!

I believe the drivers are different for the 3400 and the 4000 series of Radeons. What operating system are you running? If an ATI entry appears under the "add/remove programs" part of the control panel, then you should be able to select "change", and then click "uninstall all ATI programs/drivers" or something similar at the bottom of the next list. I've had an easier time of uninstalling in XP 32 bit compared to Windows 7, but your mileage may vary.

Then, install Driver Sweeper and wipe everything out: http://www.phyxion.net/Downloads/

Now, are you ever thinking of crossfiring with another card, or does your board/PSU even handle crossfiring? If so, you may want to install the 8.10 (not 8.11, or 8.1, or 8.12, 8.10. *8.10*.) drivers for the 4850 rather than anything more recent, since the 8.1 is the last update where crossfiring was mildly stable.

Any other questions, let me know. I'd be happy if my tremendous misery from this weekend ended up with good for somebody.

I'm running Vista 64bit Sean, I did remove the previous ATI things before I got my hands on the 4850. I didn't use Driver Sweeper though, and you can forget about Crossfire with this giant! No more room. Also I plugged the 6-pin piece from the supply to the card so I guess I am ready to turn the CPU on.

This thing is incredible! I've maxed out NBA 2K9, 8x AA, and about to put 16x AF.

I'm done chatting, time to enjoy this thing!

As JoeRudi stated once: "When you get a new video card and run your games.... It's like someone turned on the lights."

Glad you got everything installed and running, MM. I didn't see any reports of an explosion in Brooklyn, so you seem to be OK. :)

How is NFS Shift? Thinking about picking that up.

Haven't played a good racing game in awhile.

Man I'm in the same situation as you. I think it's pretty good, definately deserves a demo try. But the 3 min. promotional video (Can't skip it) after your first race in the demo makes me mad!

The price is why I won't be getting it though.

Man I'm in the same situation as you. I think it's pretty good, definately deserves a demo try. But the 3 min. promotional video (Can't skip it) after your first race in the demo makes me mad!

The price is why I won't be getting it though.

Hmm, thanks for the heads-up. Might check out the demo.

I hear ya on the price. There are other games I'd rather spend that $$$ on first.

Archived