Mlb2K10: All Smoke And Mirrors?

JoeRudi26

34 members have voted

1. 1. Why Won't They Show Actual Game Play?

• Marketing Strategy, Simply A Teaser
    • Still Underdeveloped, Too Buggy
    • Nothing To Show, Nothing Has Changed
    • They've Mastered A Gem, And Plan To Take Sony By Suprise

2K has released more than enough info (thanks Meastro) about their upcoming title, but it's strikingly obvious that they're not clueing us in on the most important aspect of the game.  Not only was "game play" their major downfall last year, but they continue to dodge the obvious while trying to market their product so far this year.  All this, with only a little over a month until the actual release.

They've given us screenshots, a few writeups, and a game trailor.  But  no game play?

Why not?    :unknw:

I picked option #3.  Other than a few minor changes, I have a feeling were going to be getting pretty much the same game.

How can anyone possibly answer this 6 weeks before it's even released? Once I've played several games, I'll pick an option. Speculating about what info they are releasing is kind of silly, isn't it? Wait and see, my friends.. It could be terrible, it could be great, it could be adequate.

How can anyone possibly answer this 6 weeks before it's even released? Once I've played several games, I'll pick an option.

Once you've played several games first, you can then answer as to why they won't release vids of the actual game play?

Sounds like you missed the point.

Man, I wish I was that slick. 8)

Actually, I surprised you haven't dug up some game play footage yet, M. As much as you've been posting lately, I figured the vault was full. :)

Man, if any real gameplay footage was out there, I would have posted it here for sure. It's amazing that so many over at 2K's site think that was actual gameplay footage. :facepalm:

I've been trying to post everything I find for both games.

As for Take 2... they have always been horrible at marketing their games and keeping their customer base informed.

*I like the direction they are trying to go this year, but it all doesn't mean a hill of beans if the core gameplay is not there. :sorry:

i hope we can have a chance to see how the gameplay works about early to mid-february..

the only things i'm impressed about is the new franchise mode, player models (but i still doubt that the lighting and shadows wee see in the trailers is really as good in the game). i'm really hopeful about lessening the influence of the left stick would work nicely(last year it has too much influence regardless of pitch location)..

i find their "batter's eye" feature can be really good or really bad, because in the screenshot they released, Sabathia hasn't raised his arms yet but the "batter's eye" tipped what coming is a fastball,

well maybe when the demo comes out, we would really know about the gameplay

I totally got the point. I just think it's a dumb thing to speculate about. Sorry to offend.

If 2K9's gameplay was solid, then it would be a dumb thing to speculate about. But it wasn't even close to solid. JR is right, enough with the write-ups and images.

This is the only thing that many people want to see. Write ups and screenshots won't fool a lot of people like 2K9's did.

• 2 weeks later...

2K has this habit of making their ads feature the cover athlete (Reyes, Timmy & Virtual Timmy) without ever showing actual gameplay. Then the game comes out and you see why.

Gameplay has been the major question at 2k, and at their own site, they're avoiding those questions like the plague .... asking everyone to wait for the "Insight" preview for that aspect.

To me, it's not a good sign, but I'm willing to try the new my player feature, etc. The overlays and menus look much better than 2k9, and I see from the images that the dust actually looks like dust instead of brown circles (that was horrible).

The thing that bothered me most was the realism, and the horrible angles the bat would be at during the point of contact. I would imagine that collision detection issues have been mostly fixed.

What I would really like, aside form the obvious, is that performing the gestures incorrectly would result in pitches that end up out of the zone instead of over the plate. I'm doubtful that will happen because people would throw a poop-fit if they were only able to throw 65-70% strikes, while being 'good' at the game.

I understand it has been, and always will be, designed for quick action, online gaming. I understand I'm a dino and not the target audience. I also don;t understand why they put so much effort into online experience, but then do nothing to the quitters that rack up wins on the leaderboard by quitting games they are losing. From what I have seen, it destroys the online experience for a good number of gamers.

I can tolerate some small flaws and even some graphic hiccups once in a while, but each version has had a major flaw that has outweighed any good or progress.

I freeze-framed the trailer video at about 0:31, where the LHB fouls one off over the 3rd base coach's head. The arms and bat looked mostly aligned, which is a big collision improvement. In previous versions, the arms would have been parallel to the ground, and the bat would have been angled with the barrel pointing toward the ground, with one hand going "through" the bat.

It also appears they added "breaking up DP" collision. Hopefully, it's not overdone (too frequent, too successful) like MVP.

The throwing motions of the players are MUCH better than the "from the ear" motion that EVERYONE in MLB10 uses (I hate that).

Pitcher's motions have been traditionally very smooth in the 2K series ... that's been one of the few positives.

2K has this habit of making their ads feature the cover athlete (Reyes, Timmy & Virtual Timmy) without ever showing actual gameplay. Then the game comes out and you see why.

Gameplay has been the major question at 2k, and at their own site, they're avoiding those questions like the plague .... asking everyone to wait for the "Insight" preview for that aspect.

To me, it's not a good sign, but I'm willing to try the new my player feature, etc. The overlays and menus look much better than 2k9, and I see from the images that the dust actually looks like dust instead of brown circles (that was horrible).

The thing that bothered me most was the realism, and the horrible angles the bat would be at during the point of contact. I would imagine that collision detection issues have been mostly fixed.

What I would really like, aside form the obvious, is that performing the gestures incorrectly would result in pitches that end up out of the zone instead of over the plate. I'm doubtful that will happen because people would throw a poop-fit if they were only able to throw 65-70% strikes, while being 'good' at the game.

I understand it has been, and always will be, designed for quick action, online gaming. I understand I'm a dino and not the target audience. I also don;t understand why they put so much effort into online experience, but then do nothing to the quitters that rack up wins on the leaderboard by quitting games they are losing. From what I have seen, it destroys the online experience for a good number of gamers.

I can tolerate some small flaws and even some graphic hiccups once in a while, but each version has had a major flaw that has outweighed any good or progress.

Couldn't have said it better. OMG the dust was disturbing since the 1st time I saw it. "Particle effects" was always off! 23 more days 'til it's released...I guess they think My Player and 40 Man Rosters will equal successful sales. They know what needs to be shown.

• 2 weeks later...

here's a 9 min gameplay video... of course they could've made sure nothing bad was in it...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/nine-minute-gameplay-mlb-2k10/62164

still not sure if crashing into wall bug is gone, or rounding 3rd base nonchalantly and getting tagged out is still around.

i guess we can't take these seriously unless they were done by a 3rd party. and even then, all the game situations are not gonna be covered.

here's a 9 min gameplay video... of course they could've made sure nothing bad was in it...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/nine-minute-gameplay-mlb-2k10/62164

still not sure if crashing into wall bug is gone, or rounding 3rd base nonchalantly and getting tagged out is still around.

i guess we can't take these seriously unless they were done by a 3rd party. and even then, all the game situations are not gonna be covered.

Was that video kind of choppy?....Seemed like it to me.

"MLB 2K10 Pitchers vs. Hitters Developer Insight and Game Trailer to be released today." Maestro get ready to post! Lol

Saw the game trailer and it look real nice, but did notice the portraits for player traded was not updated, see Marlon Byrd of the cubs, he was on the rangers last year.

Archived