Edit Limit Confirmed

grmrpr1313

is there a reason why this limit exists? it just seems so odd to have a limitation such as this.

A poster on the 2K forums came up with a possible explanation that makes sense. Because of 2K share, people can now share their rosters from 2K10 with others, so they might not have wanted to get into trouble with MiLB with too many real player names because they don't have the rights to minor league players, just the teams.

They don't want to host anything that could get them into hot water, so they make it so people can't create the complete minor leagues in-game.

that is just bizarre. i wonder if mvp had that. it's not something i remember ever running across until now.

MVP's limit is that the first name could only be so long (12 characters ?), and the last name could only be so long (16 characters?). So, each player had the same amount of space reserved for their name.

MLB2K9 and MLB2K10 have a list of used names, and a fixed amount of space in the save file to add more names. If you add enough names, you will run out of room.

I definitely preferred how MVP did it.

MLB2Kxx tries to save space in the save file by not repeating commonly used names. They also let you have the name on the back of the jersey be something other than the player's last name. (For players whose jersey name is already used, this takes just 4 extra bytes).

One thing they could have done to save a lot of space is to go with 1 byte characters like MVP uses. Instead they used 2 byte characters.

-------------------

Bad news. Seems, we need roster editor. A free one, I may add. Who will make it? :spiteful:

I will be working on a roster editor again this year. I don't have the game yet (Estimated delivery is Monday), but I have already looked at the roster file. The basic layout is the same, but it is different enough that I'll have to identify every little detail again. So I will be charging $10 again this year, but I will still give a free trial.

By the way, last year Tony3 used my editor to fix all of the names of the minor league players in the default roster and made it available to everyone for free.

MVP's limit is that the first name could only be so long (12 characters ?), and the last name could only be so long (16 characters?). So, each player had the same amount of space reserved for their name.

MLB2K9 and MLB2K10 have a list of used names, and a fixed amount of space in the save file to add more names. If you add enough names, you will run out of room.

I definitely preferred how MVP did it.

MLB2Kxx tries to save space in the save file by not repeating commonly used names. They also let you have the name on the back of the jersey be something other than the player's last name. (For players whose jersey name is already used, this takes just 4 extra bytes).

One thing they could have done to save a lot of space is to go with 1 byte characters like MVP uses. Instead they used 2 byte characters.

-------------------

I will be working on a roster editor again this year. I don't have the game yet (Estimated delivery is Monday), but I have already looked at the roster file. The basic layout is the same, but it is different enough that I'll have to identify every little detail again. So I will be charging $10 again this year, but I will still give a free trial.

By the way, last year Tony3 used my editor to fix all of the names of the minor league players in the default roster and made it available to everyone for free.

Great news ty,

I'm glad to see you'll be making a roster editor for this game. I'd also echo Trues' request for a global editor, especially so fielder arms can be toned down across the board...

ty is there anyway that in the new editor that for the ones who buy it can have a code that is permanent,that way whenever i format i dont have to keep bothering u when i need a new code lol,im one of these guys that format at least once every couple months

ty is there anyway that in the new editor that for the ones who buy it can have a code that is permanent,that way whenever i format i dont have to keep bothering u when i need a new code lol,im one of these guys that format at least once every couple months

I can't really think of a way that wouldn't defeat the whole purpose of protecting the program.

Though there are probably things that you could do even if you do format so you still get the same registration number.

Option 1. Make sure your computer name and your hard drive name are the same as they were before you formatted.

Option 2. Use something like Norton Ghost to backup your hard drive after you register my program. Then instead of manually formatting and reinstalling windows, use the same program to restore your hard drive from your backup.

I haven't really tested these, but I'm pretty sure Option 2 will work. Option 1 might also work.

Great news ty,

I'm glad to see you'll be making a roster editor for this game. I'd also echo Trues' request for a global editor, especially so fielder arms can be toned down across the board...

Great news for PC users, shitty news for console users

As for the cannon arms, I've heard a lot of people bitching about that and while it looks like the ball is traveling like a rocket from the outfield I hit a ton of doubles (I'm now getting 5-6 a game easy), and I've never been thrown out at the plate yet. I think the ball comes in so fast because the players are REAL slow getting a tag down. If you adjust the arms you will still have very slow tags. Instead of fixing the slow tags 2K just cranked the arms up

I reformat all the time too(couple months is a long time for me), and the same code has always worked. I had to get a new code with I upgraded OS (xp to 7) and when I added new hardware (Hard Drives), But besides that the same code has worked

Great news for PC users, shitty news for console users

As for the cannon arms, I've heard a lot of people bitching about that and while it looks like the ball is traveling like a rocket from the outfield I hit a ton of doubles (I'm now getting 5-6 a game easy), and I've never been thrown out at the plate yet. I think the ball comes in so fast because the players are REAL slow getting a tag down. If you adjust the arms you will still have very slow tags. Instead of fixing the slow tags 2K just cranked the arms up

Reminds me of High Heat 2003, when instead of fixing the high level of double plays the right way, they added the "lob throw" from second to first, which allowed a lot double plays to be unsuccessful.

Archived