Baseball Movies

MarkB

I'm always on the lookout for new baseball films that I haven't seen yet, but I think I might be starting to get through them, so shout out your favourite baseball movies and let's see what people think of various films, and try to name ones that others haven't mentioned yet.

Here's the list I've racked up so far, most of which I've watched.

61*

Angels In The Outfield

Beer League

Brewster's Millions

Bull Durham

Cobb

Eight Men Out

Field Of Dreams

For Love Of The Game

Major League, Major League 2 & Major League: Back To The Minors

Mr. 3000

Mr. Baseball

Pride Of The Yankees

Rookie Of The Year

Soul Of The Game (aka Field Of Honour)

Summer Catch

The Babe

The Battery

The Benchwarmers

The Fan

The Natural

The Rookie

The Sandlot, The Sandlot 2 & The Sandlot: Heading Home

I've tried to post as many as I can think of, regardless of how bad (sequels to Sandlot, Major League 3) or slight the baseball relevance is (Brewster's Millions, Summer Catch, The Fan), but if you know any more, post them.

Personal favourite has to be Soul Of The Game, I just think it's an excellently made film. I would bet that not many have heard of The Battery as it's a Japanese film, but for what it is, it's a very good film. It's not comedic like a lot of the American baseball films are, yet in a good way, it shows the comparison between how baseball is for a lot of people around the world and the bright lights of the MLB, or even playing in the U.S. at all. Of all of them, I can't recommend The Battery enough, as subtitles are readily available for it.

So, what are your favourites?

If you're going to put the Sandlot films on your list, you have to include the Bad News Bears series. In this case, I'm talking about the original films that came out in the 70's although you could put the updated Billy Bob Thornton version on the list, if you wanted.

And don't forget a movie that I am sure is at the top of Y4L's list (although I've never actually seen it): Fever Pitch, starring Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore, a romantic comedy that centers around the Boston Red Sox. ;) According to Wikipedia, the film was released in the UK as The Perfect Catch.

thanks for the list, Ive seen most of these, and enjoyed pretty much all of them, even the "bad" ones, sandlot, ect. were good for a chuckle.

I havent heard of The Battery, and am certainly going to check it out on your recommendation.

My favorites would start with the Natural, Eight Men Out, 61, and Field of Dreams.

I have anouther related movie on its way from netfix to me this weekend, called The Winning Season. I havent seen it yet, maybe I will post you all a review when i get through it.

Here is a list of some of my favorite baseball movies, in no particular order:

61*

Field of Dreams

Eight Men Out

Pride of the Yankees

The Natural

Major League

A League of Their Own

Kill the Umpire (1950. I saw this movie on Turner Classics on day and it was great.)

It Happens Every Spring

For Love of the Game

The Bad News Bears (1976 version)

Cobb

Bull Durham

Bang the Drum Slowly

Big Leaguer (1953. Movie about minor leaguers in the NY Giants system. Carl Hubbell makes an appearance in this movie.)

And I am sure I have omitted many others. By the way Jim, Fever Pitch did not make the list. I've never seen that movie and I never will. :)

Also, here is a short list of baseball movies that I have never seen but would love to:

Death on the Diamond

Alibi Ike

Elmer the Great

Angels in the Outfield (1951 version)

If you're going to put the Sandlot films on your list, you have to include the Bad News Bears series. In this case, I'm talking about the original films that came out in the 70's although you could put the updated Billy Bob Thornton version on the list, if you wanted.

And don't forget a movie that I am sure is at the top of Y4L's list (although I've never actually seen it): Fever Pitch, starring Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore, a romantic comedy that centers around the Boston Red Sox. ;) According to Wikipedia, the film was released in the UK as The Perfect Catch.

Yeah, I was torn whether or not to include the blatantly kids ones, but given that they account for such a large percentage of the genre - after all, there aren't that many baseball movies in general - it was difficult to ignore them. Although some of them I wish I had. Sandlot 2 was awful, I only got halfway through it, and I didn't even download the third one.

I'm sure I've watched Bad News Bears somewhere, but I can't find it on any of my drives for the life of me. Confuzzled.

thanks for the list, Ive seen most of these, and enjoyed pretty much all of them, even the "bad" ones, sandlot, ect. were good for a chuckle.

I havent heard of The Battery, and am certainly going to check it out on your recommendation.

My favorites would start with the Natural, Eight Men Out, 61, and Field of Dreams.

I have anouther related movie on its way from netfix to me this weekend, called The Winning Season. I havent seen it yet, maybe I will post you all a review when i get through it.

I look forward to it. Hope you enjoy The Battery. It's different, but very good. As long as you can cope with reading the subtitles instead of actively listening to the dialogue, you'll be fine, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Here is a list of some of my favorite baseball movies, in no particular order:

61*

Field of Dreams

Eight Men Out

Pride of the Yankees

The Natural

Major League

A League of Their Own

Kill the Umpire (1950. I saw this movie on Turner Classics on day and it was great.)

It Happens Every Spring

For Love of the Game

The Bad News Bears (1976 version)

Cobb

Bull Durham

Bang the Drum Slowly

Big Leaguer (1953. Movie about minor leaguers in the NY Giants system. Carl Hubbell makes an appearance in this movie.)

And I am sure I have omitted many others. By the way Jim, Fever Pitch did not make the list. I've never seen that movie and I never will. :)

Also, here is a short list of baseball movies that I have never seen but would love to:

Death on the Diamond

Alibi Ike

Elmer the Great

Angels in the Outfield (1951 version)

Man, I need to find some of them. I've never even heard of most of them. :lol:

2191958990_f25391d785.jpg

I enjoyed it. Most of the acting is well done, the production is very good, and the way the storyline is written is absorbing and entertaining at the same time. It's not a film you could watch half of, then finish watching 2 weeks later. You're looking for the next part of the storyline from the first 15 minutes onwards. Plus, there's the added bonus that, depending on how much you know about the scandal, you will probably learn something new from the film, or at least an insight into a certain person's perspective on it.

How good is Eight Men Out? I've had it on my dvr for quite awhile now and just haven't found the time to watch it yet.

It is really good.It gives you the story of the events that lead to the throwing of the 1919 Series. It also shows you how the stinginess of Charles Comiskey lent a hand to what happened.

I enjoyed it. Most of the acting is well done, the production is very good, and the way the storyline is written is absorbing and entertaining at the same time. It's not a film you could watch half of, then finish watching 2 weeks later. You're looking for the next part of the storyline from the first 15 minutes onwards. Plus, there's the added bonus that, depending on how much you know about the scandal, you will probably learn something new from the film, or at least an insight into a certain person's perspective on it.

It is really good.It gives you the story of the events that lead to the throwing of the 1919 Series. It also shows you how the stinginess of Charles Comiskey lent a hand to what happened.

Thanks. I might watch it tonight after the Lakers game. :popcorn:

If you like Soul of the Game a lot, I got one better for you:

00031872-523324_400.jpg

It is the definitive barnstorming movie. Look at the cast list:

* Billy Dee Williams as Bingo Long

* James Earl Jones as Leon Carter

* Richard Pryor as Charlie Snow, "Carlos Nevada" and "Chief Takahoma"

* Stan Shaw as 'Esquire' Joe Callaway

* Tony Burton as Issac, one of Bingo's players

* Rico Dawson as Willie Lee Shavely, an All-Star

* Sam Brison as Louis Keystone, another All-Star

* Jophery C. Brown as Emory Chambers, an All-Star

* Leon Wagner as Fat Sam Popper, an All-Star

* DeWayne Jessie (Otis Day in Animal House) as Rainbow, the All-Stars' batboy.

* Ted Ross as Sallison Potter, Bingo's nemesis and owner of the Ebony Aces

* Mabel King as Bertha Dewitt, another Negro League team owner

* Ken Foree as Honey, one of Potter's henchmen

* Carl Gordon as Mack, Potter's other goon

Like any good baseball nut, I have a full shelf devoted to baseball movies.

The other I would add, if you've got the scratch, is Baseball, the Ken Burns documentary. I heard the 10th Inning will finally air this spring! Stoked!

• 3 months later...

Archived