Complaints With 1961 Conversion And Glove Colors

Deputy

Two things I noticed...

When I hit a deep fly ball and it hits the wall, it gets STUCK in the wall (or fence). The outfielders get near the wall and then just stop and "run in place" while the base runner scores an inside-the-park home run. This has happened twice so far. Once in center field and once along the 1st base line wall. I think it was in either the Senators or A's park or Baltimore. Never had it happen in the 2008 conversion. I'm guessing the dimensions of the walls/fences are somehow "off".

The baseball gloves in the 1961 conversion...I notice that almost every glove in the conversion is either multi-colored or one solid color. Back in 1961 no team used colored gloves. EVERY glove was ONE shade of brown or tan, depending on how well oiled or how new it was. No black, no blue, no black-grey or brown-tan combos. Is there a fix for this? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Two things I noticed...

When I hit a deep fly ball and it hits the wall, it gets STUCK in the wall (or fence). The outfielders get near the wall and then just stop and "run in place" while the base runner scores an inside-the-park home run. This has happened twice so far. Once in center field and once along the 1st base line wall. I think it was in either the Senators of A's park or Baltimore. Never had it happen in the 2008 conversion. I'm guessing the dimensions of the walls/fences are somehow "off".

Let us know exactly which stadium it is. It sounds like an issue with the wall collision data, which is contained in the stadium's .txt file that is in your data folder.

The baseball gloves in the 1961 conversion...I notice that almost every glove in the conversion is either multi-colored or one solid color. Back in 1961 no team used colored gloves. EVERY glove was ONE shade of brown or tan, depending on how well oiled or how new it was. No black, no blue, no black-grey or brown-tan combos. Is there a fix for this? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

When you say multi-colored do you mean a combination of normal colors (brown, blue, black, grey, tan), or are you seeing any red and green gloves? Seeing a red and green glove means that you are running out of memory when the game is running. This can happen if you are using a stadium with a large file size, if you have too many applications running in the background, etc. The only real "fix" for the other glove colors is to edit the rosters in MVPEdit and globally edit the "glove color" attribute for all players to be brown or tan.

Hello Mr Deputy,

The outfielder running in place at the fence while the baserunner circles the bases is something I do see - although very rarely. I think it is an issue with a particular modded stadium or just a bug in the game itself.

With the multi-colored gloves I would think that is a problem with your installation as in TC61* you should only see 3 styles of gloves -- one dark brown somewhat modern glove, one light brown somewhat modern glove and an older classics style glove. If you are seeing other colors then your install of TC61* was possibly not done properly.

Take Care,

Don

I just opened up the latest *61 .mbe file in MVPEdit and ran the following search with the Global Editor on all major league teams:

fielding glove color <> light brown AND fielding glove color <> brown AND fielding glove color <> classic

The search did not display any results (i.e. no players were found with gloves that were other colors than these three). If I run the same search on the minor league teams, I do get players to show up, so it shows that the query does work.

I am seeing blue gloves, brown/tan gloves, and black/grey gloves. No red gloves or green gloves. Blue gloves did not exist in 1961, nor did black/grey or tan/brown on the same glove. If you tell me how to take a screen shot, I can post them on here. The multi-colored gloves are correct for present day, but not for 1961.

I am seeing blue gloves, brown/tan gloves, and black/grey gloves. No red gloves or green gloves. Blue gloves did not exist in 1961, nor did black/grey or tan/brown on the same glove. If you tell me how to take a screen shot, I can post them on here. The multi-colored gloves are correct for present day, but not for 1961.

Might be something wrong with your graphics card. I've never seen green, blue, or red gloves in the 1961 mod.

Just thought of something too, maybe teams have called up players in the minors who have coloured gloves. As Jim said, "If I run the same search on the minor league teams, I do get players to show up, so it shows that the query does work."

Certainly a possibility.

We KNOW that multi-colored gloves and blue gloves are incorrect for 1961! Sometimes I wonder if you think we're all stupid and know nothing of baseball history before the year 2000. :facepalm:

As Don said, and as I posted, the *61 rosters DO NOT have colored gloves assigned to major league players, only tan, brown or classic gloves. Open up the rosters with MVPEdit and check the fielding glove color attribute for the players you see with colored gloves to confirm this.

As Don suggested, you could have something wrong with your installation, or as Dylan posted, you have minor leaguers called up to the majors.

As far as taking a screen shot, go to http://www.fraps.com/ and download the Fraps application. After installing the application, start it up (letting it run in the background) and then start MVP2005. When you get to a screen you want to save, press the F10 key to take the screen shot. Fraps will save a .bmp file (with a lengthy file name) in the folder where you installed Fraps. You can then upload the image here.

As I said, no green or red, just blue, black, black/grey, and dark brown/light brown. The dark/brown/light brown is probably correct. I found FRAPS on my comp so I can take a screenshot. I just checked with the Exhibition Game and Play Now games and the colored gloves don't show up. Seems to be only in the Dynasty Games. And that makes sense, since now that I think about it the only time I see colored gloves is during Dynasty play. I dunno if it's minor leaguers being called up or not, but even minor leagures didn't have colored gloves in 1961. Heck, if you've ever seen a baseball glove from 1961 you would freak out and wonder how anyone won ANY fielding records with them. They are TINY compared to the garbage baskets major leagures use today. And pretty much all of them were light tan.

Some were only 3-finger gloves. But I digress. :)

I will take pics in the next Dynasty game and post them here. I doubt very much it's a graphics card issue. I keep my drivers up-to-date. I have an nVidia GeForce 9800 GT with 1 GIG of onboard RAM.

It would only be a video card issue if you were seeing red/green multi-color glove (usually with the words "Texture Missing") on it.

Typically, when we develop the classic single season mods, we only create the major league rosters. We do not modify the minor league rosters.

As I said, no green or red, just blue, black, black/grey, and dark brown/light brown. The dark/brown/light brown is probably correct. I found FRAPS on my comp so I can take a screenshot. I just checked with the Exhibition Game and Play Now games and the colored gloves don't show up. Seems to be only in the Dynasty Games. And that makes sense, since now that I think about it the only time I see colored gloves is during Dynasty play. I dunno if it's minor leaguers being called up or not, but even minor leagures didn't have colored gloves in 1961. Heck, if you've ever seen a baseball glove from 1961 you would freak out and wonder how anyone won ANY fielding records with them. They are TINY compared to the garbage baskets major leagures use today. And pretty much all of them were light tan.

Some were only 3-finger gloves. But I digress. :)

I will take pics in the next Dynasty game and post them here. I doubt very much it's a graphics card issue. I keep my drivers up-to-date. I have an nVidia GeForce 9800 GT with 1 GIG of onboard RAM.

You are totally disregarding the previous posters comments that you may have not installed the mod correctly. I believe everyone here knows that there weren't any multi-colored gloves back in 1961. Rather then trying to make us all look like complete idiots with your history lessons, perhaps you should take some advice from the guys who made this mod.

It would only be a video card issue if you were seeing red/green multi-color glove (usually with the words "Texture Missing") on it.

Typically, when we develop the classic single season mods, we only create the major league rosters. We do not modify the minor league rosters.

Okay...that explains it. I called up a minor league player for shortstop and he has a blue glove. I guess other teams in Dynasty are also calling up minor league players. Thanks a ton for the clarification. Now if I can just figure out which ballpark has the mysterious "sticky ball" zone that the fielders can't get at, I'll be in business :D

post-46418-127352973735_thumb.jpg

You are totally disregarding the previous posters comments that you may have not installed the mod correctly. I believe everyone here knows that there weren't any multi-colored gloves back in 1961. Rather then trying to make us all look like complete idiots with your history lessons, perhaps you should take some advice from the guys who made this mod.

Actually, you might try a little anger management of your own. The mod DOES have colored gloves for minor league players, and in Dynasty mode, if you or the comp calls up a minor league player, the colored gloves DO INCORRECTLY appear. And on a counter note perhaps there should be a sticky describing EXACTLY what is and isn't changed in these mods to eliminate any future confusion. As it is people only find out these things AFTER playing the conversion for a while. The mods are listed as "total conversions". Perhaps they need to be re-named "partial conversions", since there are some things that haven't been changed that do appear in gameplay. I don't try to make anyone look like idiots. People accomplish that on their own with posts like yours. BTW...the installation WAS done correctly.

Actually, you might try a little anger management of your own. The mod DOES have colored gloves for minor league players, and in Dynasty mode, if you or the comp calls up a minor league player, the colored gloves DO INCORRECTLY appear. And on a counter note perhaps there should be a sticky describing EXACTLY what is and isn't changed in these mods to eliminate any future confusion. As it is people only find out these things AFTER playing the conversion for a while. The mods are listed as "total conversions". Perhaps they need to be re-named "partial conversions", since there are some things that haven't been changed that do appear in gameplay. I don't try to make anyone look like idiots. People accomplish that on their own with posts like yours. BTW...the installation WAS done correctly.

Actually, no. DJEagles is not someone who is easily angered in here. Sure he gets upset in here from time to time just like anyone else would, but not a lot. In this case he's got every reason to be upset and I don't blame him.

Since you have had the 1961 mod in your hands you have done nothing but complain about it. Forgive me if you had anything nice to say about this mod because if you have it must have been lost in the barrage of complaints you have made.

So some of the minor league players have different colored gloves? Once again you have the power to correct this. You have MVPEdit, right? Edit the attributes in the minor leagues and check the fielding glove color attribute for the players that you see have the blue or red gloves. I fail to see what is so hard about this. As Jim said when these mods are created the major league rosters are created and the minor leagues are not modified.

And that little shot that you just said about having this mod renamed "partial conversions" instead of "total conversions" is not going to endear yourself to anyone around here. This is EXACTLY what DJEagles meant by you trying to make us all look like complete idiots. In the history of this website you are the only one who has complained about the Total Classics season mods.

I understood what you meant by having people on certain teams and we guided you to get MvpEdit so you could set up the rosters to your liking. Fine. But since then you've done nothing but nit pick on this mod and quite honestly it has become quite tiresome. There's a lot of work done to make these mods and all you have done is sit back and put them down.

Please do us all a favor and stay with the 1961 mod and do not download any other season mod available here. I don't know if we all can take you tearing apart another season.

Can't do anything about collision data. No matter what approach you take moving the coll vertices, there are areas the game simply cannot handle. I've taken every precaution over the years in removing the worst areas (CF at Ebbets Field, the divot in Fenway CF, Shibe CF) by design, but some things are unavoidable.

If this is a dealbreaker for you, I'd have to recommend installing a stock EA stadium.

I can't believe you. I have never in my life met anyone like you before. THESE ARE FREE MODS! The guys here put their blood, sweat and tears into them, only to have you trash the little things. You don't deserve to download these mods.

Deputy,

The readme.txt file for this mod and most others states that you should turn off options such as "Injuries"; "Callups"; "Trades" etc as to allow the designed 25 man rosters to not be altered during Dynasty play - otherwise things such as you descibe will likely occur. It also states that the "Minor Leagues" are there for compliance reasons only and should not be considered accurate.

Take Care,

Don

And on a counter note perhaps there should be a sticky describing EXACTLY what is and isn't changed in these mods to eliminate any future confusion. As it is people only find out these things AFTER playing the conversion for a while. The mods are listed as "total conversions".

To counter your argument, perhaps you should use take the time to read the Readme file that is included with the mod which DOES explain exactly what was and was not changed in the mod. Did you read the Readme file, or are you one of those guys who installs first and then asks questions later.

Perhaps they need to be re-named "partial conversions", since there are some things that haven't been changed that do appear in gameplay. I don't try to make anyone look like idiots. People accomplish that on their own with posts like yours. BTW...the installation WAS done correctly.

I've tried to be patient, however, I'm getting a little tired with your "holier than thou" attitude, where everything that does not behave the way you like is automatically a bug. We've explained to you the approach we've taken to these mods, but in your eyes, that's not good enough. You don't like it, so the way we did it is wrong.

You say that you don't try to make anyone look like idiots? How about your lecturing that there were no multi-colored or blue gloves used during the 1961 season. Do you think that you're the only one who doesn't know that?

If you can do a better job on these mods, please do so (i.e. put up or shut up). I anxiously await the arrival of YOUR Total Classics mod. There are plenty here who will be happy to go over it with a fine toothed comb and point out any inaccuracies or things that don't appeal to them.

If you have questions (note I said questions and not complaints), we'll be more than happy to answer them. If you have constructive criticism, feel free to share it. If, however, all you want to do is complain and point out all of the "bugs" you've found, please tell someone else. We're all tired of your nitpicking and complaining. Have you forgotten that creating these mods is a hobby for us - something we enjoy doing? We don't get paid for them, nor do we want to. If you don't like the mod, just uninstall it and we'll refund every penny that you paid for it

I'll end my rant now, as I've got better things to do......

To counter your argument, perhaps you should use take the time to read the Readme file that is included with the mod which DOES explain exactly what was and was not changed in the mod. Did you read the Readme file, or are you one of those guys who installs first and then asks questions later.

I've tried to be patient, however, I'm getting a little tired with your "holier than thou" attitude, where everything that does not behave the way you like is automatically a bug. We've explained to you the approach we've taken to these mods, but in your eyes, that's not good enough. You don't like it, so the way we did it is wrong.

You say that you don't try to make anyone look like idiots? How about your lecturing that there were no multi-colored or blue gloves used during the 1961 season. Do you think that you're the only one who doesn't know that?

If you can do a better job on these mods, please do so (i.e. put up or shut up). I anxiously await the arrival of YOUR Total Classics mod. There are plenty here who will be happy to go over it with a fine toothed comb and point out any inaccuracies or things that don't appeal to them.

If you have questions (note I said questions and not complaints), we'll be more than happy to answer them. If you have constructive criticism, feel free to share it. If, however, all you want to do is complain and point out all of the "bugs" you've found, please tell someone else. We're all tired of your nitpicking and complaining. Have you forgotten that creating these mods is a hobby for us - something we enjoy doing? We don't get paid for them, nor do we want to. If you don't like the mod, just uninstall it and we'll refund every penny that you paid for it

I'll end my rant now, as I've got better things to do......

Well I AM trying to do a better job, or at least complete the job that was started with this partial conversion. I am trying to actually limit the players to some kind of realistic roster, instead of having players that were traded on the same roster with players that were aquired. And other players that played for teams in 1961 that are MISSING COMPLETELY. That alone is a monumental task. Now I am trying to convert ALL the gloves in the minor leagues to the actual glove color that EXISTED back then. I haven't filed ONE complaint. I consider what I posted as constructive criticism. The more I play the conversion the more I see it is nowhere near complete. Evidently whoever did the conversion focused on player data and parks ONLY and never imagined people would play Dynasty games. I am a stickler for realism. And that realism is a bit lacking in the 1961 conversion.

Problems I've found so far with this conversion:

1.Pictures of players show the wrong team caps or uniforms.

2.Gloves the wrong color. Granted they are only in the minor leagues, but in Dynasty those players DO get called up. I have one playing on Baltimore as a SS that has a blue glove and for some reason I can't change the color.

3.Roster assignments/trades that try and cover a whole year (or make everyone happy, not sure which) and that lead to some teams being WAY overpowered while other teams are excessively weak. White Sox are a good example of too much power on one team.

BTW...ever hear of a player named Al Pilarcik? He played outfield 35 games for Kansas City and 47 games for the White Sox in 1961. He is NOWHERE on your 1961 conversion roster. He was part of the Wes Covington trade. Oops. :rolleyes:

4.A bug that I have ONLY encountered in the 1961 conversion, where the ball gets stuck in the wall or fence while fielders are "running in place" trying to chase it down. I doubt very much this is a MVP 05 game bug, as it would have been encountered and reported and fixed with a patch by now.

Instead of sitting back and assuming that everything is perfect in the 1961 conversion, why not either work to finish it or help others

to finish it and correct errors and omissions? Don't blame me for an incomplete product. Hmmmm....the "readme". Let me quote "E) 1961 uniforms have been created for all teams."

Oops...SHOULD say all MAJOR leage teams if you include correct glove color as part of the uniform. The rest of the readme doesn't cover anything of what I have been posting about. Perhaps you need someone who can write a better/more detailed readme file?

Well I AM trying to do a better job, or at least complete the job that was started with this partial conversion. I am trying to actually limit the players to some kind of realistic roster, instead of having players that were traded on the same roster with players that were aquired. And other players that played for teams in 1961 that are MISSING COMPLETELY. That alone is a monumental task. Now I am trying to convert ALL the gloves in the minor leagues to the actual glove color that EXISTED back then. I haven't filed ONE complaint. I consider what I posted as constructive criticism. The more I play the conversion the more I see it is nowhere near complete. Evidently whoever did the conversion focused on player data and parks ONLY and never imagined people would play Dynasty games. I am a stickler for realism. And that realism is a bit lacking in the 1961 conversion.

2.Gloves the wrong color. Granted they are only in the minor leagues, but in Dynasty those players DO get called up. I have one playing on Baltimore as a SS that has a blue glove and for some reason I can't change the color.

3.Roster assignments/trades that try and cover a whole year (or make everyone happy, not sure which) and that lead to some teams being WAY overpowered while other teams are excessively weak. White Sox are a good example of too much power on one team.

BTW...ever hear of a player named Al Pilarcik? He played outfield 35 games for Kansas City and 47 games for the White Sox in 1961. He is NOWHERE on your 1961 conversion roster. He was part of the Wes Covington trade. Oops. :rolleyes:

4.A bug that I have ONLY encountered in the 1961 conversion, where the ball gets stuck in the wall or fence while fielders are "running in place" trying to chase it down. I doubt very much this is a MVP 05 game bug, as it would have been encountered and reported and fixed with a patch by now.

Instead of sitting back and assuming that everything is perfect in the 1961 conversion, why not either work to finish it or help others

to finish it and correct errors and omissions? Don't blame me for an incomplete product. Hmmmm....the "readme". Let me quote "E) 1961 uniforms have been created for all teams."

Oops...SHOULD say all MAJOR leage teams if you include correct glove color as part of the uniform. The rest of the readme doesn't cover anything of what I have been posting about. Perhaps you need someone who can write a better/more detailed readme file?

You're a total jerk. Everyone else on the site likes this mod the way it is, you're the only one who complains.

Again, thank-you stecropper, Jim, Andy, and all of the other TC creators. Your work rocks.

You're a total jerk. Everyone else on the site likes this mod the way it is, you're the only one who complains.

Again, thank-you stecropper, Jim, and all of the other TC creators. Your work rocks.

Now now, be nice Dylan, Deputy is entitled to his own opinion, no matter how fringe it is compared to everyone else. Our community encourages contributions from everyone, and I look forward to seeing the impending results.

Now now, be nice Dylan, Deputy is entitled to his own opinion, no matter how fringe it is compared to everyone else. Our community encourages contributions from everyone, and I look forward to seeing the impending results.

I do apologize, and the harshness and rudeness in my original post has been omitted.

Then by all means show us the right way to do things. Or better yet, punish us by doing the work and not letting us see it. That way we can suffer here with an inferior mod, green with envy that we will never get to see the "perfect" mod.

If you have a stash of photos with every player in their proper cap or uniform, please share them with us. Contrary to what you might think, Don didn't just pick the first photo he could find of a player, and say, "He's not wearing the proper cap, but who will notice?"

We've gone over this time and time again. The minor league players were not changed in the mod and that's why the Readme file states that you should turn off trades, injuries, suspensions etc. Why am I even bothering with this? You don't want to hear it and will just complain further.

If you want to change the gloves, you can do it very easily in MVPEdit:

1. Click the Global Edit (GblEdit) button

2. In the team pulldown menu, select "All Teams"

3. At the very bottom, in the "Modify" section, select "Field Glove Color" in the "Field" pulldown menu

4. Select your desired color in the "Value" pulldown menu

5. Click the "Run!" button and all your gloves will be changed to the same color

6. Export your rosters, and you will never, ever see a hideous, historically inaccurate, blue glove again!

We've been through this ad nauseum. You don't like the rosters. Fine - Fix them the way you want and stop complaining.

"Would have been fixed by a patch by now"? What fantasy world do you live in? You can play with a patched "normal" (i.e. non-modded) version of the game and still have fielders run into the right field corner of Fenway Park, get stuck, and run in place, while the baserunner cruises all the way around for an inside the park home run. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. No game is perfect - and the people who developed the game at EA got paid for their efforts!

Who ever said that everything is perfect in the conversion? No one ever said that. Also, you said, "Don't blame me for an incomplete product." A product implies that you get something that you pay for. This is a mod that was created in someone's free time and shared for the enjoyment of others. If you don't like it, fine. Don't use it or "fix" it until it performs the way you like. But don't keep whining about how it doesn't do what you want and that someone needs to fix it for you.

Finally, now that you've volunteered to be the Total Classics technical writer, when can I expect the updated Readme files so that I can repackage and re-upload all of the TC releases currently available? Also, I hope you have fairly good Spanish language skills, since the MVP Caribe guys, who released the MVP Caribe and WBC 2009 mods, released both English and Spanish versions of their Readme files and I would hate to think that you would do an incomplete job on these Readme files.

Maybe he can get Hoop27 to lend him a hand.

Deputy,

I had just written you a PM offering my assistance to personally help you adjust TC61* closer to what you would like it to be for your personal enjoyment. But having read your most recent post I would like to withdraw that offer as it appears to me that you are a very self-centered, arrogant person who believes if things are not as you think they should be then they are wrong.

Your arrogant way of putting "partial" in bold in front of conversion fully exemplifies my position.

As far as your Covington issue I am in the final week of a 61* Dynasty and Wes Covington has had a total of 26 plate appearances for the White Sox versus 59 during the real 1961 season ---- this is directly related to the Durability rating we assign a player and in my opinion "when" he appeared in those games during the course of the real season is of no concern of mine and does not impact this mods realism value.

Also the White Sox have 4 games remaining in this 61* Dynasty and find themselves in 3rd place with 89 Wins. They had 86 Wins in the real 1961 season and finished in 4th place. Their Team ERA in this 61* Dynasty is 4.21 and their Team Batting Average is .278. In the actual 1961 season their Team ERA was 4.06 and their Team Batting Average was .265. Close enough for me and probably somewhat impacted due to the requirement of the game to have a starting rotation of 5 pitches unlike in 1961 where many teams used a fairly consistent 4 man rotation with their top aces appearing more often than they do in this game. Thus, I would expect to see a bit more success in hitting and a bit less success in pitching from each team in the TC61* Dynasties --- which is precisely what I do see.

So, I fully dispute your beliefs that these rosters are not a very reasonable and realistic representation of the 1961 season as a whole. Not only do I dispute that assertion of your's but I feel I am very qualified to discuss any aspect of the 1961 Major League season in the most detailed manner you would like. I also feel fairly qualified to discuss/debate/argue any aspect of how this MVP Baseball 2005 game functions relative to a players rating or team makeup.

You do have my permission to adjust the TC61* mod to your liking and then release your Deputy's version of TC61*. I would be anxious to see how you respond to others that might criticize your work in such an arrogant manner which you criticize this mod. I feel comfortable that you would respond with how they are wrong and you are right regardless of their issues.

Archived