Complaints With 1961 Conversion And Glove Colors

Deputy

Deputy,

I had just written you a PM offering my assistance to personally help you adjust TC61* closer to what you would like it to be for your personal enjoyment. But having read your most recent post I would like to withdraw that offer as it appears to me that you are a very self-centered, arrogant person who believes if things are not as you think they should be then they are wrong.

Your arrogant way of putting "partial" in bold in front of conversion fully exemplifies my position.

As far as your Covington issue I am in the final week of a 61* Dynasty and Wes Covington has had a total of 26 plate appearances for the White Sox versus 59 during the real 1961 season ---- this is directly related to the Durability rating we assign a player and in my opinion "when" he appeared in those games during the course of the real season is of no concern of mine and does not impact this mods realism value.

Also the White Sox have 4 games remaining in this 61* Dynasty and find themselves in 3rd place with 89 Wins. They had 86 Wins in the real 1961 season and finished in 4th place. Their Team ERA in this 61* Dynasty is 4.21 and their Team Batting Average is .278. In the actual 1961 season their Team ERA was 4.06 and their Team Batting Average was .265. Close enough for me and probably somewhat impacted due to the requirement of the game to have a starting rotation of 5 pitches unlike in 1961 where many teams used a fairly consistent 4 man rotation with their top aces appearing more often than they do in this game. Thus, I would expect to see a bit more success in hitting and a bit less success in pitching from each team in the TC61* Dynasties --- which is precisely what I do see.

So, I fully dispute your beliefs that these rosters are not a very reasonable and realistic representation of the 1961 season as a whole. Not only do I dispute that assertion of your's but I feel I am very qualified to discuss any aspect of the 1961 Major League season in the most detailed manner you would like. I also feel fairly qualified to discuss/debate/argue any aspect of how this MVP Baseball 2005 game functions relative to a players rating or team makeup.

You do have my permission to adjust the TC61* mod to your liking and then release your Deputy's version of TC61*. I would be anxious to see how you respond to others that might criticize your work in such an arrogant manner which you criticize this mod. I feel comfortable that you would respond with how they are wrong and you are right regardless of their issues.

Don - As always, you've shown the true gentleman that you are and have taken the high road in your response.

As far as Deputy releasing his own modded version of TC61*, he may be able to use the work you created, but that doesn't mean that others who contributed to the mod (stadium modders, audio modders, cyberface modders, installer creator, etc.) will agree to let him include their work!

Don, you're a great guy and it shows by offering to help this twit because YOUR mod doesn't match his standards.

But I can tell this piece of crap right now that whatever changes he makes will be picked apart like there's no tomorrow. And with good reason.

Deputy...I don't even know what to say. You sir, are a piece of work. You have totally TRASHED this mod, and think that you can come in here and FIX IT. Again I say, you don't deserve to be able to download anything here, and you don't deserve to be able to use anyone's work on this site.

You can take your, "Holier Than Thou" attitude, and shove it. Get lost, fade back into the background, you are not needed, or even wanted around here.

I guess some people are happy with "good enough" and others want to fix what's broken. Count me among the latter.

"If you have a stash of photos with every player in their proper cap or uniform, please share them with us. Contrary to what you might think, Don didn't just pick the first photo he could find of a player, and say, "He's not wearing the proper cap, but who will notice?"

I'm amazed that Don hasn't enlightened everyone abput the existence of baseball cards. They have some excellent pictures of EVERY player. Or did you miss my post where I put up the correct picture of Aparacio wearign a Sox cap while playing FOR the Sox? I guess you were too busy thinking up clever replies to see it.

"The minor league players were not changed in the mod..." Why not? All I ask for is to give them the correct color gloves. Again...that "good enough" attitude. From your description of how to do it, seems like it would have taken all of about 15 seconds.

"We've been through this ad nauseum. You don't like the rosters. Fine - Fix them the way you want and stop complaining."

I notice you did a nice duck and dodge of the missing Al Pilarcik. Makes me wonder how many other players were left off.

I have been playing this game since it was releasewd and through the full conversion mods that updated everything in it. Never saw the ball stuck in the net/fence bug crop up. Never saw a post about it even existing. Feel free to reference a post, other than the one by Don in this thread, that mentions or describes it and I will take back my criticism about it. I have hit numerous balls into these areas (they are in both left and right field and the ONLY time I have encountered it was with the 1961 conversion. Try swimming in a different river than De Nial.

"Finally, now that you've volunteered to be the Total Classics technical writer, when can I expect the updated Readme files so that I can repackage and re-upload all of the TC releases currently available? Also, I hope you have fairly good Spanish language skills, since the MVP Caribe guys, who released the MVP Caribe and WBC 2009 mods, released both English and Spanish versions of their Readme files and I would hate to think that you would do an incomplete job on these Readme files."

I would be more than happy to write a COMPLETE readme of the 1961 Conversion. I haven't downloaded any of the others so can't help you there. I don't have much interest in the other conversions. Only reason I picked the 1961 version is because it is "close" to 1959. However, I doubt very much you will be interested in including my readme. I would write what is and isn't included in this mod.

"Now now, be nice Dylan, Deputy is entitled to his own opinion, no matter how fringe it is compared to everyone else. Our community encourages contributions from everyone, and I look forward to seeing the impending results."

"Everyone else on the site likes this mod the way it is, you're the only one who complains."

Everyone else...that's an interesting choice of words. Looking at "everyone else" that has posted besides me, I see Administration, Modders, and Staff. Kinda makes me wonder where the common members are? Perhaps they have downloaded and tried the conversion and just gave up on it after discovering the same things I've posted? Or maybe after seeing the "pile on" tactics you guys are engaged in, they don't want the hassle of posting their opinions. I do see one post in another topic by a guy named Rade from Serbia about game physics that's pretty much on the money. At any rate, I am done posting about the 1961 Conversion. It's obvious nobody wants to really make it a better conversion. And I can't be bothered trying to give suggestions to closed minds who think it has achieved perfection. Adios.

It's obvious nobody wants to really make it a better conversion.

So what's stopping you from doing it yourself?  Cherry picking someone's else's work after the fact is really beneath someone that expects perfection in the first place, isn't it?  

Lead by example.  We're all waiting.

The Admins, Modders, and Staff are the only ones that pop in here on a day-to-day basis. That's why they're the only ones posting. And as far as "common users" go, you're about as common as they come. You've offered nothing to this site. And I mean nothing. This is a baseball video game. There are things that can't be perfected with a mod. Yes, the rosters are something that can be changed. But this is Don's mod and he done it the way he wanted. He didn't do it for your, mine, or anybody elses benefit. He done this mod for his enjoyment, and decided to share it with us. He knew there were things that weren't 100% correct when he released it. But you can't seem to get that through your damn skull.

You want to change things around to suit you, fine. That's what MVPEdit, Photoshop, and the other utilities are for. But just because you don't like what is released, then Don, or anyone else for that matter, should jump to attention and change it to make it truly recreate that era. MVP is not a true simulation game, and there are things within the coding that just are not possible. Deal with it. Or better yet, bring back the 1959 White Sox to play in your living room. Then you can have your "true simulation".

I have been playing this game since it was releasewd and through the full conversion mods that updated everything in it. Never saw the ball stuck in the net/fence bug crop up. Never saw a post about it even existing. Feel free to reference a post, other than the one by Don in this thread, that mentions or describes it and I will take back my criticism about it. I have hit numerous balls into these areas (they are in both left and right field and the ONLY time I have encountered it was with the 1961 conversion. Try swimming in a different river than De Nial.

Sorry, you're wrong. This happens in every single mod from 1927 through 2008, and frankly has nothing to do with whatever mod you're using. Fenway specifically is a problem area due to the strange angles, but I've had it happen in Yankee Stadium (several versions), Shibe, Ebbets, League Park, Baker Bowl, Braves Field and so on. MVP's engine can't fully handle the switch in collision data, and so this is the result. It happens.

If anyone knows about collision data in MVP stadium mods, it would be me.

What you are not seeing is that you are the first guy that has had a problem with this mod since it has been released. And this mod was released four years ago this month.

Every question and complaint you have brought up about this mod has been at first patiently explained to you. From the roster question to the different colored gloves. You were given legitimate reasons why things were done the way they were done. But nothing anyone said to you was acceptable.

You have no idea how long it takes to make one of these mods and the way you have put this mod down has not made you Mr. Popular around here. The reason why you don't here a lot of comments from the "common members" in here is that the people who have originally downloaded this mod four years ago are no longer visitors to this site or that they don't know this thread exists or don't want to involve themselves. The staff is still here and we defend the modders on this site from the ingrates, and it gives me great pleasure to let you know that you are now our number one ingrate. Cheers!

Now, I'm going to lower the boom right now. Try and follow this. You have your own copy of TC 1961. Do what you want to your own copy of this mod. Fix it any way you want to. Move the rosters around to your liking. Give everyone brown gloves or tan gloves for all I care. If there is anything else in this mod that you don't like, don't mention it in here. Whatever it is you fix the damn thing yourself. Don't bitch and moan about it because no one is planning on running back to the drawing board to fix this just for your satisfaction. You have disrespected a lot of modders on this site because of what you did. There is a huge difference between constructive criticism and out and out complaining and what you did here was some good old fashioned bellyaching.

I guess some people are happy with "good enough" and others want to fix what's broken. Count me among the latter.

"If you have a stash of photos with every player in their proper cap or uniform, please share them with us. Contrary to what you might think, Don didn't just pick the first photo he could find of a player, and say, "He's not wearing the proper cap, but who will notice?"

I'm amazed that Don hasn't enlightened everyone abput the existence of baseball cards. They have some excellent pictures of EVERY player. Or did you miss my post where I put up the correct picture of Aparacio wearign a Sox cap while playing FOR the Sox? I guess you were too busy thinking up clever replies to see it.

Your logic is fine, if a player was on the same team multiple years, so that a card was created for them on that team, however, what do you do if the player is traded to a new team halfway through the season (after his baseball card is created) and is not on the team the next year? There will be no baseball card for the player on his new team.

"The minor league players were not changed in the mod..." Why not? All I ask for is to give them the correct color gloves. Again...that "good enough" attitude. From your description of how to do it, seems like it would have taken all of about 15 seconds.

Why weren't they changed? Because Don didn't want to modify minor league teams! Simple as that. In fact the only conversion mod I know of that has accurate minor league teams is the 1994 and it took almost 2 years for that mod to be completed. If Don didn't want to bother with the minor leagues, why should he modify the gloves?

"We've been through this ad nauseum. You don't like the rosters. Fine - Fix them the way you want and stop complaining."

I notice you did a nice duck and dodge of the missing Al Pilarcik. Makes me wonder how many other players were left off.

You don't like the rosters. We know. Blah, blah, blah.... Find out how many other players are left off and let us know....

Now you are calling this a full conversion mod? I thought it was a partial conversion mod.... Make up your mind. It looks like Sean has addressed this issue in his post. Wait a minute... a different river than De Nial.... I get it! Hahahahahahahaha..... Stop - You're killing me...

"Everyone else on the site likes this mod the way it is, you're the only one who complains."

Everyone else...that's an interesting choice of words. Looking at "everyone else" that has posted besides me, I see Administration, Modders, and Staff. Kinda makes me wonder where the common members are? Perhaps they have downloaded and tried the conversion and just gave up on it after discovering the same things I've posted?

The 1961 conversion mod has been downloaded 1869 times. I find it hard to believe that everyone thinks the same way you do.

At any rate, I am done posting about the 1961 Conversion. It's obvious nobody wants to really make it a better conversion. And I can't be bothered trying to give suggestions to closed minds who think it has achieved perfection. Adios.

Please don't make promises you can't keep. As for your assertion about closed minds, you're the one with the closed mind looking at the mod with your blinders on. No one said the mod was perfect. Are there some issues with it? Sure there are. Just like there are issues with every mod ever created and there are issues with the unmodded version of MVP2005 that EA created. If, however, I have a choice of Don's 1961 conversion mod or 1961 mod at all, I'll gladly take Don's mod. At least until you release your mod......

Archived