MVPnation interview...

Bman0123

http://www.maddennation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24880

MVPnation.net was recently granted an interview with Associate Producer Ben Brinkman. We would like to thank him for taking the time out during this busy period to answer our questions.

MVPNation: Not much mention has been made of the online aspect for MVP. Can you tell us about some of the details, such as having the ability to set your starting pitcher and lineups before the game begins, are there any mini-games online, will we still see the opposing team's pitching meter, and the frequency of roster updates? Are there any other changes we should expect in this area?

Ben Brinkman:MVP 2005 introduces a bunch of new online components. You can send challenges to players with a similar ranking to yours. You can also check out the MVP 2005 leader boards for stats to help make your decision of whom to challenge.

We have both traditional tournaments and quick tournaments, which let you jump right into an online tourney. You can even use minor league teams in this, if you prefer.

You can in fact set your starting pitcher and lineup before the game begins – this is whether you play on Xbox Live, PS2, or PC – and it works pretty much the same as if you were playing an offline Exhibition game. In addition, if you want to use custom rosters, you can do so, but only in an unranked game. We thought there was too great a danger of cheating for ranked games, but we didn’t want to deprive someone of the opportunity to play an online game for fun with Babe Ruth, for example. No mini-games online for this year. You do see the opposing team’s pitching meter – we did think of removing this, but decided not to, since it is our first year on Xbox Live, and we didn’t feel it was fair to those who were new to MVP Baseball online.

We will have multiple roster updates, including one on the first day the game is available in stores.

MVPN: How has the atmosphere in the stadium changed? Will the crowd react differently to clutch plays or show more emotion in a playoff game?

BB: We now have a greater variety of player heckles, as well as more vendors. Also, you’ll now also hear vendors trying to sell stadium unique items in whatever stadium you’re at. So if you’re at Safeco, you’ll hear vendors selling Ichi-roll sushi, or Fenway Franks at Fenway Park.

As far as the crowd goes, you will definitely hear the crowd react differently to clutch plays or show more emotion in a playoff game…depending on which team is making the plays. If you’re the home team, and you turn a sweet double play or hit a big homerun, the crowd’s going to let you know they appreciated it…however, if you hit into a double play, the crowd is also going to let you know, but it won’t be with cheers. In Playoff games, the crowd is going to be pumped up right from the get go…living and dying with every ball and strike. You will definitely be able to hear the difference.

MVPN: Does emotion or momentum play into the games? Are there slumps or streaks and do they carry over from game to game?

BB: Not this year.

MVPN: Have there been any changes to the fatigue models, such as adding fatigue for position players?

BB: Yes, positional fatigue has been added to MVP 2005. You are going to have to rest your players in Dynasty and Owner Mode.

MVPN: Will you be able to hire and fire coaches in dynasty mode?

BB: Yes. Owner Mode is new this year and will give you the ability to hire and fire all staff members including coaches and managers.

MVPN: Do the rosters expand from 25 to 40 players come September?

BB: No.

MVPN: Has the ability to save an in-progress game been added this year?

MVPN: Has the overall effectiveness and ease of spotting the knuckleball been adjusted this year?

BB: We’ve addressed this with the Precision Pitch Meter. The Precision Pitch Meter separates the accuracy zone from MVP 2004 into perfect and mis-executed pitch zones. If you release the pitch in the small perfect zone it goes where you want. This area is roughly 25% of what was the MVP 2004 accuracy zone. If you release the pitch in the mis-executed area it will miss the target.

MVPN: Is there any sort of rating that applies to an outfielder's ability to make a diving or overall spectacular catch?

BB: Yes, his fielding rating will be used to determine spectacular catch attempts and success/failure. There is also a tunable that allows the user to increase or decrease these odds for a spectacular play.

Glad they fixed the online problem, however it is quite questionable to leave the pitch meter viewable when playing online.

I am happy to hear there will be a roster download to start with.

So Dynasty and Owner modes are two completely different things? Is Owner Mode INSIDE Dynasty and you have the option to toy with it or what?

Fire managers and coaches?! I think its about time my White Sox got a new pitching coach. The rest of the staff (Guillen, Baines, Greg Walker, Raines, Joey Cora) all former Sox, I wonder if Floyd Bannister or Greg Hibbard would be available!

MVPN: Do the rosters expand from 25 to 40 players come September?

The only thing that I'm really bothered about in this interview would be above. I thought they would have that in this year. Shows they still have an arcade style to the game.

I would have liked in-game save support, but it's no biggie.

Fire managers and coaches?! I think its about time my White Sox got a new pitching coach. The rest of the staff (Guillen, Baines, Greg Walker, Raines, Joey Cora) all former Sox, I wonder if Floyd Bannister or Greg Hibbard would be available!

How about Koosman? :)

Archived