New Five-O Coming This Fall!

Even if you are not a fan of this show and have no plans on watching it when it airs later on this month, you may find this next post very interesting.

The story of Kam Fong is a very sad one. From scandals and tragedies when he was very young that shook him up very much to his life leading up to Five-O. It's something that should remind us that everyone we come in contact with or have heard of through sports or entertainment, has a story behind them.

This guy was an amazing person who went through so much that no one should have to ever go through.

Kam Fong was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1918. When Fong was seven years of age his family was torn apart because his father was caught having an affair. Because of this the family split up and Fong's maternal grandfather kicked the father out of the family business and the family lived in poverty.

Fong was employed as a boilermaker (a trained craftsman who produces steel fabrications from plates and sections) at the Pearl Harbor shipyards and was an eye witness to the attack on Pearl by the Japanese in 1941.

Fong's life was filled with personal tragedies, so much more than one person should have. He was witness to the horrific death of his brother when he was painting their home. Someone lit a match and it got out of control very fast and Fong's sibling burned to death in front of him.

In 1944 Fong lost his home and his entire family because of a terrible accident that involved two planes. Two B-24 bombers collided over his home and landed on his house killing instantly his wife and his four year old daughter and two year old son. Fong was devastated, inconsolable and because of this, tried to commit suicide. His mother happened to be in the right place at the right time and she stopped him from going through with it.

It took awhile, but five years later Fong remarried and he and his second wife had four children together. Fong served as a police officer on the Honolulu police force for sixteen years, making him the only member of the Five-O crew to actually perform real life police work.

After retiring from his police job, he worked as a disc jockey in Hawaii, sold real estate and started dabbling in the community theater. Fong's real estate partner at the time made an appointment for him to audition for a new television series that producer Leonard Freeman was creating without him knowing it and nudged him into going to it. When Freeman found out Fong actually was a police officer, it sealed the deal.

Fong went on to play detective Chin Ho Kelly for ten of Hawaii Five-O's twelve year run on CBS. He died in 2002 after a long battle with inoperable lung cancer.

Message from original Danno Williams

September 14, 2010 by Star-Advertiser Staff

Written remarks from James MacArthur, who played “Danno” Williams in the original “Hawaii Five-0,” on the world premiere of new “Five-0″ pilot, Sept. 13, 2010, Sunset on the Beach, Waikiki.

Good evening everyone! I hope you’re all enjoying a fine Hawaiian sunset and I’m sorry I can’t be there with you tonight.

Ever since I saw the scrip for the pilot, I’ve been very excited about this new “Hawaii Five-0.” From that first moment, I knew CBS had another winner on its hands.

I can remember back to when Lenny Freeman called to invite me to participate in the original version. My first thought was, “Great! If I’m lucky this is my free ticket to 13 weeks in Hawaii. Count me in!”

Little did I know that 40 years later, people would still be calling out to me to “Book ‘em, Danno!” wherever I go, and that “Hawaii Five-0″ would become a worldwide phenomenon, an indelible part of our modern culture, ready tonight to launch a bold new incarnation.

I think I can confidently speak for Lenny (Freeman), Jack (Lord), Kam (Fong), Zulu and the rest of the original gang, as well as myself, in saying that we’re all just delighted with the outstanding caliber and sheer talent of the people involved with the “Five-0.” It’s very heartening to see our legacy now in the hands of the terrific people you see before you tonight.

I’m looking forward to making an appearance in the new show when the time is right, and I can’t wait to see what the writers have in store for me. In the meantime, I’ll be watching each week, eagerly anticipating the further adventures of the new “Five-0″ team.

May you all enjoy Hawaii and its fabulous people as much as I continue to do to this day, and may your association with “Hawaii Five-0″ be as successful and fulfilling for you as mine has been for me.

And remember, “Be there! Aloha!”

LINK.

Hawaii Five-O home page at CBS.com is right here. Remember the series premiers tonight at 10 pm EST.

‘Hawaii Five-0′: 5 Things To Know About Its Debut

I know what you’re thinking. Not another remake!

When this TV critic heard CBS was re-doing the seventies classic ‘Hawaii Five-O‘ I thought the same thing, and rolled my eyes the same way you did.

But then something funny happened on the way to pilot season…

They started casting, and the cast was good. Then I heard the pilot was being directed by (Kate Beckinsale’s hubby) Len Wiseman (’Live Free or Die Hard,’ ‘Underworld’), implying it might have some edge, and, sure enough, the premiere plays like an action movie. And while prime-time certainly doesn’t need another cop show, let’s face it: criminal procedurals are what CBS does best (see also: the ‘CSI’ franchise, ‘Criminal Minds,’ etc.) — so this is totally in the network’s wheelhouse, and as such, they give this series a great spin.

Ushering in the CBS “reboot” (not a remake) of the original series is summed up in three words in the premiere episode when a suspect asks, “What kind of cops are you?”

“The new kind,” says the new, darker, man of few words Steve McGarrett, as played by Alex O’Loughlin, who comes off as more of a brooding Jack Bauer than a stately Jack Lord in this version–and that’s a good thing.

Here Are 5 Things to Know About the New ‘Hawaii Five-O’ (*the first is to give it a chance):

1. What’s Old:

~The Song: The theme song is same, but spiffier — Listen to it Here.

~The Names: Steve McGarrett, Danno, Chin Ho, and Kono are all on board.

~The Car: The 1974 Mercury Marquis, driven by Jack Lord’s McGarrett in the original, appears in the update as the vintage sedan belonging to this McGarrett’s late father.

~The Line: “Book ‘em, Danno” — will appear once in the debut episode, in a clever, organic way (and hopefully not overused too much in the future).

2. What’s New:

~Testy Twosome: McGarrett and Danno are more of a buddy-cop team, as opposed to the ’70s McGarrett, who was the walkie-talkie wielding top cop. Here, O’Loughlin’s mourning McGarrett, a Navy SEAL who returns to Hawaii to investigate the murder of his father, plays the straight man to Scott Caan’s sarcastic sidekick, Danno. The two–reluctantly–team up when the governor (Jean Smart) gives McGarrett free reign to take down his father’s killer, who has turned her island paradise into something more like Cutthroat Island.

~Gender Bender: Kono Kalakaua’s character, a rather hefty male in the original as portrayed by Gilbert Lani Kauhi, has been turned into a lithe and lethal female rookie cop, still called Kono (Grace Park), in the modern update to add a little estrogen to the elite force.

3. What Works:

~The beautiful backdrop of Hawaii — the entire series is shot on location — and the skimpy attire that goes with it bodes well for a visually appealing display week-to-week, and the camaraderie that emerges by the end of the pilot indicates a foursome with some potentially fun chemistry. As for longevity, the tale of cops-n-robbers in paradise won’t go stale anytime soon (see also: the original series, which ran from 1968 to 1980, and ‘Magnum P.I.‘) [Editor's Note: Only one episode has been screened.]

4. What’s Hot:

The ‘Babe Factor’ is in full force with Kono Kalakaulau, played by former ‘Battlestar‘ babe Grace Park, who surfs in a bikini and strips down to her skivvies in an undercover interrogation scene in the series premiere. Of course, the trio of hunks doesn’t hurt either: ‘Moonlight‘ favorite Alex O’Loughlin in the leading role; ‘Lost‘ hottie Daniel Dae Kim back in Hawaii as Kono’s cousin, Det. Chin Ho Kelly; and beefy Scott Caan (’Ocean’s Eleven‘) cracking wise as Det. Danny ‘Danno’ Williams.

5. What’s the Verdict?

~Worth the Trip: Fancast Editors give the new ‘Hawaii Five-O’

And it could very well be the ‘third series is a charm’ leading man O’Loughlin’s been looking for: “If this one doesn’t go, I’m completely bewildered. I have no idea how television works at all.” – Alex O’Loughlin (whose two strikes include CBS’ ‘Moonlight’ and ‘Three Rivers’) said to reporters about the prospects of ‘Hawaii’ being a hit.

The new ‘Hawaii Five-O’ premieres tonight at 10 p.m./EST on CBS.

Link to article

Hey Y4L....yeah I'm really excited for this. What a great Monday night, Rays/Yankees and Hawaii Five-O. The MOnday Night Football game is a snoozer. :popcorn:

Hawaii Five-O home page at CBS.com is right here. Remember the series premiers tonight at 10 pm EST.

‘Hawaii Five-0′: 5 Things To Know About Its Debut

I know what you’re thinking. Not another remake!

When this TV critic heard CBS was re-doing the seventies classic ‘Hawaii Five-O‘ I thought the same thing, and rolled my eyes the same way you did.

But then something funny happened on the way to pilot season…

They started casting, and the cast was good. Then I heard the pilot was being directed by (Kate Beckinsale’s hubby) Len Wiseman (’Live Free or Die Hard,’ ‘Underworld’), implying it might have some edge, and, sure enough, the premiere plays like an action movie. And while prime-time certainly doesn’t need another cop show, let’s face it: criminal procedurals are what CBS does best (see also: the ‘CSI’ franchise, ‘Criminal Minds,’ etc.) — so this is totally in the network’s wheelhouse, and as such, they give this series a great spin.

Ushering in the CBS “reboot” (not a remake) of the original series is summed up in three words in the premiere episode when a suspect asks, “What kind of cops are you?”

“The new kind,” says the new, darker, man of few words Steve McGarrett, as played by Alex O’Loughlin, who comes off as more of a brooding Jack Bauer than a stately Jack Lord in this version–and that’s a good thing.

Here Are 5 Things to Know About the New ‘Hawaii Five-O’ (*the first is to give it a chance):

1. What’s Old:

~The Song: The theme song is same, but spiffier — Listen to it Here.

~The Names: Steve McGarrett, Danno, Chin Ho, and Kono are all on board.

~The Car: The 1974 Mercury Marquis, driven by Jack Lord’s McGarrett in the original, appears in the update as the vintage sedan belonging to this McGarrett’s late father.

~The Line: “Book ‘em, Danno” — will appear once in the debut episode, in a clever, organic way (and hopefully not overused too much in the future).

2. What’s New:

~Testy Twosome: McGarrett and Danno are more of a buddy-cop team, as opposed to the ’70s McGarrett, who was the walkie-talkie wielding top cop. Here, O’Loughlin’s mourning McGarrett, a Navy SEAL who returns to Hawaii to investigate the murder of his father, plays the straight man to Scott Caan’s sarcastic sidekick, Danno. The two–reluctantly–team up when the governor (Jean Smart) gives McGarrett free reign to take down his father’s killer, who has turned her island paradise into something more like Cutthroat Island.

~Gender Bender: Kono Kalakaua’s character, a rather hefty male in the original as portrayed by Gilbert Lani Kauhi, has been turned into a lithe and lethal female rookie cop, still called Kono (Grace Park), in the modern update to add a little estrogen to the elite force.

3. What Works:

~The beautiful backdrop of Hawaii — the entire series is shot on location — and the skimpy attire that goes with it bodes well for a visually appealing display week-to-week, and the camaraderie that emerges by the end of the pilot indicates a foursome with some potentially fun chemistry. As for longevity, the tale of cops-n-robbers in paradise won’t go stale anytime soon (see also: the original series, which ran from 1968 to 1980, and ‘Magnum P.I.‘) [Editor's Note: Only one episode has been screened.]

4. What’s Hot:

The ‘Babe Factor’ is in full force with Kono Kalakaulau, played by former ‘Battlestar‘ babe Grace Park, who surfs in a bikini and strips down to her skivvies in an undercover interrogation scene in the series premiere. Of course, the trio of hunks doesn’t hurt either: ‘Moonlight‘ favorite Alex O’Loughlin in the leading role; ‘Lost‘ hottie Daniel Dae Kim back in Hawaii as Kono’s cousin, Det. Chin Ho Kelly; and beefy Scott Caan (’Ocean’s Eleven‘) cracking wise as Det. Danny ‘Danno’ Williams.

5. What’s the Verdict?

~Worth the Trip: Fancast Editors give the new ‘Hawaii Five-O’

And it could very well be the ‘third series is a charm’ leading man O’Loughlin’s been looking for: “If this one doesn’t go, I’m completely bewildered. I have no idea how television works at all.” – Alex O’Loughlin (whose two strikes include CBS’ ‘Moonlight’ and ‘Three Rivers’) said to reporters about the prospects of ‘Hawaii’ being a hit.

The new ‘Hawaii Five-O’ premieres tonight at 10 p.m./EST on CBS.

Link to article

• 4 weeks later...

After five episodes, ALL I have to say is I LOVE this NEW version of "Hawaii Five-O" and I love the opening theme song. It gets you all pumped up, similar to the opening of "Third Watch" (the artists Crystal Method helped too). Finally the two BEST things about the show: the locale (Hawaii) and Grace Park. Aloha dear sir... Aloha!!!

Sincerely,

Joe W. --- vbprogjoe :drinks:

LINK.

Hawaii Five-O will be returning to CBS (same network as before) this fall.

The pilot for the series was shot in Oahu in early March and CBS liked what they saw.

The cast includes former Lost cast member Daniel Dae Kim as Chin Ho Kelly; Scott Caan, son of actor James Caan as Danny ("Danno") Williams; Jean Smart from Designing Women and "24" as the Governor; Vancouver-raised Grace Park of Battlestar Galactica fame as Kono Kalakaua (formerly played by a male actor, Zulu); and in the lead role, Australian actor Alex O'Laughlin playing top cop Steve McGarrett. O'Loughlin previously had a police role on the US drama The Shield and also played a private investigator who turned into a vampire in the show Moonlight. O'Loughlin and Caan are depicted above.

According to Daniel Dae Kim, "Some of the characters are descendants of the original characters and others have the same names but have no relation."

The show has been given the Monday night 10 p.m. time slot. The show will debut in the fall of 2010; the premiere date is not yet known.

It's been a long route to this remake.

In 1997, Stephen J. Cannell (A-Team, 21 Jump Street) produced a one-hour pilot staring Gary Busey and Russell Wong. It was not well received, due to the fact that Chin Ho Kelly, one of the supporting characters, was killed off in the original series.

In August 2008, Criminal Minds executive producer Ed Bernero expressed interest in reviving the Five-O TV franchise. But as of October 2009, Bernero was out and several new creative people were assigned to the project, among them Fringe creators Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman and CSI: NY showrunner Peter Lenkov.

The following is the CBS press release from May 19, 2010:

Hawaii Five-O is a contemporary take on the classic series about a new elite federalized task force whose mission is to wipe out the crime that washes up on the Islands' sun-drenched beaches. Detective Steve McGarrett (O'Loughlin), a decorated Naval officer turned cop, returns to Oahu to investigate his father's murder and stays after Hawaii's governor persuades him to head up the new team: his rules, her backing, no red tape and full blanket immunity to hunt down the biggest "game" in town. Joining McGarrett is Detective Danny "Danno" Williams (Caan), a newly relocated ex-New Jersey cop who prefers skyscrapers to the coastline but is committed to keeping the Islands safe for his 8-year-old daughter; and Chin Ho Kelly (Dae Kim), an ex-Honolulu Police Detective wrongly accused of corruption and relegated to a federal security patrol, who is also a former protégé of McGarrett's father. Chin's cousin, Kono (Park), is a beautiful and fearless native, fresh out of the academy and eager to establish herself among the department's elite. McGarrett vows to bring closure to his father's case while the state's brash new Five-O unit, who may spar and jest among themselves, is determined to eliminate the seedy elements from the 50th state.

Personally, I'm loving this. Although I am wondering why a woman is going to be playing Zulu's role? I am not in favor of that at all. But I got to accept it. Zulu was my all time favorite on that show even though he was only on it for the first four seasons. I actually met him in 1984 right on of all places Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki.

bscap0004s.jpg

Here is the new opening credits for the show:

Watch it!! Be there. Aloha.

This is news that I just heard about five minutes ago. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

All four of the original Five-O members are gone now. :(

Link.

'Hawaii Five-O's' James MacArthur dies

By Stephen M. Silverman, PEOPLE.com

October 28, 2010 5:40 p.m. EDT

James MacArthur, who became a household name as Danny "Danno" Williams on "Hawaii Five-0," died Thursday.

(PEOPLE.com) -- James MacArthur, the boyish actor who became a household name in the 1970s as Danny "Danno" Williams on TV's "Hawaii Five-0," died Thursday, a family representative told PEOPLE.

He was 72 and his family was at his side at the time of his death, according to a family statement. No further details, including a cause, were given.

Born in Los Angeles on December 8, 1937, MacArthur was adopted shortly after his birth by two living legends: actress Helen Hayes, considered the First Lady of the American stage, and her husband, Charles MacArthur, who, with collaborator Ben Hecht, wrote what some consider the greatest American stage comedies of all time, "The Front Page" and "Twentieth Century."

The young MacArthur grew up with his parents' biological daughter, Mary, on the family estate in Nyack, New York, which was called "Pretty Penny" -- so named because that's what it had cost.

Growing up in such an atmosphere was not always easy. As MacArthur told McCall's magazine in 1956 (and reprinted on his official Web site): "I think my mother is a great actress and the sweetest, gentlest and most generous woman I ever met. But she's vague at times and often impractical and sometimes does strange things ... She knows practically nothing about handling money."

Though he played sports as a boy, it seemed almost pre-ordained that MacArthur would become an actor. During summer breaks as a student at Harvard in the late 1950s and early '60s he played the clean-cut male love interests in "Third Man on the Mountain," "Kidnapped," and "Swiss Family Robinson" -- all for Walt Disney -- and, in 1961, debuted on Broadway opposite another newcomer, Jane Fonda, in the comedy "Invitation to a March," which ran 113 performances and won him the Theatre World Award for Best New Actor.

Other Broadway roles followed, as did movies, including the 1965 all-star WWII drama, "The Battle of the Bulge" and 1968's Clint Eastwood spaghetti Western, "Hang 'Em High," in which MacArthur played a traveling preacher.

That was the role that led to his being cast as Detective Dan Williams on "Hawaii Five-0," which costarred Jack Lord and ran on CBS from 1968 to 1980. (A new version, starring Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan, debuted this fall on CBS and is also a ratings hit.)

Off camera, according to the family statement, "James was an avid tennis player and enjoyed skiing, fishing and hiking. He was a skilled flamenco guitarist and a consummate reader. His passion for playing golf led him to meet and fall in love with his wife, LPGA tour player and teacher, 'H.B.' Duntz."

His wife of more than 25 years, Helen Beth Duntz, survives MacArthur, as do four children and seven grandchildren. (MacArthur's first two marriages, from 1958 to 1967 to actress Joyce Bulifant, and another, from 1970 to 1975 to actress Melody Patterson, both ended in divorce.)

In lieu of flowers, the family requests contributions be made to the Helen Hayes Awards in Washington, D.C.; the Helen Hayes Hospital in Nyack; the Solebury School MOM Fund in New Hope, Pennsylvania; the Palm Desert Community Presbyterian Church, Palm Desert, California; and the Hawaii Theatre in Honolulu.

Archived