New Five-O Coming This Fall!

LINK.

Hawaii Five-O will be returning to CBS (same network as before) this fall.

The pilot for the series was shot in Oahu in early March and CBS liked what they saw.

The cast includes former Lost cast member Daniel Dae Kim as Chin Ho Kelly; Scott Caan, son of actor James Caan as Danny ("Danno") Williams; Jean Smart from Designing Women and "24" as the Governor; Vancouver-raised Grace Park of Battlestar Galactica fame as Kono Kalakaua (formerly played by a male actor, Zulu); and in the lead role, Australian actor Alex O'Laughlin playing top cop Steve McGarrett. O'Loughlin previously had a police role on the US drama The Shield and also played a private investigator who turned into a vampire in the show Moonlight. O'Loughlin and Caan are depicted above.

According to Daniel Dae Kim, "Some of the characters are descendants of the original characters and others have the same names but have no relation."

The show has been given the Monday night 10 p.m. time slot. The show will debut in the fall of 2010; the premiere date is not yet known.

It's been a long route to this remake.

In 1997, Stephen J. Cannell (A-Team, 21 Jump Street) produced a one-hour pilot staring Gary Busey and Russell Wong. It was not well received, due to the fact that Chin Ho Kelly, one of the supporting characters, was killed off in the original series.

In August 2008, Criminal Minds executive producer Ed Bernero expressed interest in reviving the Five-O TV franchise. But as of October 2009, Bernero was out and several new creative people were assigned to the project, among them Fringe creators Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman and CSI: NY showrunner Peter Lenkov.

The following is the CBS press release from May 19, 2010:

Hawaii Five-O is a contemporary take on the classic series about a new elite federalized task force whose mission is to wipe out the crime that washes up on the Islands' sun-drenched beaches. Detective Steve McGarrett (O'Loughlin), a decorated Naval officer turned cop, returns to Oahu to investigate his father’s murder and stays after Hawaii’s governor persuades him to head up the new team: his rules, her backing, no red tape and full blanket immunity to hunt down the biggest “game” in town. Joining McGarrett is Detective Danny “Danno” Williams (Caan), a newly relocated ex-New Jersey cop who prefers skyscrapers to the coastline but is committed to keeping the Islands safe for his 8-year-old daughter; and Chin Ho Kelly (Dae Kim), an ex-Honolulu Police Detective wrongly accused of corruption and relegated to a federal security patrol, who is also a former protégé of McGarrett’s father. Chin’s cousin, Kono (Park), is a beautiful and fearless native, fresh out of the academy and eager to establish herself among the department’s elite. McGarrett vows to bring closure to his father’s case while the state’s brash new Five-O unit, who may spar and jest among themselves, is determined to eliminate the seedy elements from the 50th state.

Personally, I'm loving this. Although I am wondering why a woman is going to be playing Zulu's role? I am not in favor of that at all. But I got to accept it. Zulu was my all time favorite on that show even though he was only on it for the first four seasons. I actually met him in 1984 right on of all places Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki.

Here is the new opening credits for the show:

Watch it!! Be there. Aloha.

Thanks to the people who constantly upload stuff on the Usenet groups, I have an episode of Five-0 to share with you.

This is from season three, episode two and it is called Trouble in Mind. A brief synopsis of this program is as follows:

Singer Nancy Wilson gives an outstanding performance as singer Eadie Jordan who has not only a concert to perform, but a serious heroin addiction problem. Trouble is, there's a batch of smack laced with arsenic circulating around Oahu. Series and main theme composer Morton Stevens plays Hank, a drummer who dies from using the poisoned dope in a scene at the beginning. (When McGarrett looks at a file after Hank's death, in addition to the drummer's photo, there is some paperwork which is supposedly his musicians' union contract -- but close examination reveals it to be concerned with oil drilling rights!) The jazzy score is by Stevens, and I would suspect that so are the arrangements for Wilson. She sings part of at least four different songs -- Stormy Monday, Honeysuckle Rose, the title tune, and Spinning Wheel. Harry Guardino plays Mike, Eadie's manager/arranger/accompanist. There is some inter-racial embracing between the two which probably raised eyebrows way back then, plus a disturbing scene with a very young kid (Remi Abellira) who claims to be a heroin addict. When Guardino berates the kid for his habit, the kid says Guardino is talking "fuzz jive." This show has McGarrett referring to cassette tapes (which he pronounces "case-sette"), as opposed to the reel-to-reel variety.

This is in AVI format (DVD2XviD) and you should have no trouble playing it. You can download this one hour show right here.

I am psyched for this new show.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this. I loved the original and I'm going to keep an open mind and not try to compare the new version to the older version. It's been nearly 40 years since the original series aired and there have been a lot of changes (technology, societal views and behaviors, etc.), so that may be enough of a reason not to compare them. For example, how many times will we see McGarrett's secretary... oops, I mean Administrative Assistant... bring him coffee? ;)

I watched the opening trailer you posted and was surprised to see how close it was to the original opening. Even some of the same scenes are used!

Jim, I'm kind of concerned too. I am afraid that because I loved the original show so much that this will be a disappointment to me. Already they are doing something that I don't like or understand. As I said in the first post they are casting Zulu's part (Kono) as a female character. Now, Zulu's been deceased since 2004 but I don't know if he'd like that or if the diehard Five-0 fans will like it either.

But I'll tell you one thing. I'll be tuning in.

Just one more show and that will be that. It's also from Season three (episode #11) and it is called Over Fifty? Steal.

The guest star in this show is Canadian actor Hume Cronyn, who plays insurance investigator Louis Avery Filer. Cronyn uses disguises and guile to knock off a jewelry store and other businesses. And when he's done, Cronyn taunts the Five-0 team by leaving Monopoly cards.

It's probably one of the best shows of the series and Cronyn steals the show. Here is the IMDB page for this episode.

Sit back, relax, enjoy and laugh.

Over Fifty? Steal

• 2 weeks later...

http://tv.ign.com/articles/109/1097287p1.html

One of fall's most buzzed about new series, CBS's Hawaii Five-O stands out from other cop series thanks to its extremely geek-friendly participants. Two of the shows executive producers, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, are well known in fanboy circles, from their days working on Hercules and Xena to their time as Alias writers, to their recent credits - which include writing Transformers and Star Trek and co-creating Fringe with their frequent collaborator J.J. Abrams.

As for the cast, Alex O'Loughlin (Moonlight) takes on the lead role of Steve McGarrett (played by Jack Lord in the original), while his partner Danny Williams is played by Ocean's 11's Scott Caan. Rounding out the special police unit McGarrett leads are two characters played by well known actors to genre fans – Daniel Dae Kim (Lost) as Chin Ho Kelly and Grace Park (Battlestar Galactica) as Kona Kalakaua.

I recently spoke to both Roberto Orci and Grace Park about the project, and Orci noted that he and Kurtzman were initially reluctant about being involved with Hawaii Five-0, in the wake of Transformers and Star Trek, "because we thought, well, we don't want to be known as 'reboot guys.'"

However, Orci explained that executive producer Peter Lenkov (24, CSI: NY), who wrote the pilot, "Pitched us a great story… and such a great kind of paradigm for the show and how to really get into the characters that he really talked us into it. And then we thought, 'This could be really fun.'"

Check out the trailer for Hawaii Five-O

As far as the tone they're reaching for on the series, Orci said, "The sweet spot for us was always like Lethal Weapon or 48 Hours," noting that while that may sound easy , "Everyone always tries to do the action buddy [cop] thing with real stakes and it's actually deceptively hard. This is our opportunity to take a stab at that kind of a classic tone, where the violence is real, but you can still have a lot of fun with it. It doesn't have to be totally grim, you know?"

One more bit of geek-bait in Hawaii Five-0 is James Marsters, known to Buffy and Angel fans for his role as Spike. Marsters plays the bad guy in the pilot, and I asked Orci if it was a one-off role or whether he could return to face Steve McGarrett again. Orci replied, "The editing room will tell! We still have much to decide how it will end. Until it airs, it's just a work in progress."

Amusingly, just as on Battlestar Galactica, Grace Park finds herself playing a character from a 1970s TV series who was male in the original version. Explaining the new show's take on Kona, Park told me, "Kona's fresh out of the academy, and she has quite a few skills under her belt which would make her an asset to the team. She's right at the beginning of the formulation of this elite task force which is developing in Hawaii."

HawaiiFive-0Crop_1276627468.jpg

(L-R) Scott Caan, Daniel Dae Kim, Alex O'Loughlin and Grace Park in Hawaii Five-O

Park noted that while, "Hawaii is not necessarily a place with a lot of crime," international criminals, "might be attracted to Hawaii for several reasons, and so that's where we come in."

"I play cousins with Daniel," added Park. "His name has kind of been dragged through the mud, and he's been set up. So his character thinks that mine doesn't have a hope in Hell because of the family name."

Hawaii Five-O looks to really deliver on the action front, especially when it comes to what we expect to see on TV. Remarked Park, "I'd read the script, but then watching the pilot really blew me away. To me, it looks filmic. I recently saw another huge budget movie, and it just lacked that pop, and Hawaii Five-O delivered."

Kona gets a big introduction, as the guys show up on the beach to find her surfing. While this is a natural skill for Kona, Park revealed, "I'd never surfed before!" Park mentioned that her reply to those telling her she looks great in the surfing sequence is, "Well it's actually not me! That's another chick." Park smiled, adding, "She's got a great body, thankfully, because that's supposedly me!"

Park noted she does snowboard, but "it's been awhile since I've been riding mountains." With some time off until Hawaii Five-0 begins production, she added, "I'm planning to head over to Tofino on the west coast of Canada for a few days. Freshen up [on surfing] a little bit, because I've only ever gone twice."

Hawaii Five-O debuts this fall on CBS.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey, an update here on the Five-O thread because I know that everyone here is on the edge of their seats about this new show coming this fall!

Um ok...only me. :lol:

Have patience with me here. When I think of this place I think of the best part of my life.

Here's a photo of the original cast and the new one.

Five-O cast on TV Guide magazine.

On August 24thOriginal Capitol soundtrack will be released on Itunes/Amazon. <---Strictly for collectors only. I had mine for years now.

Fall Preview video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sepWDZiynxc&feature=fvst

Nope. You're not alone on this Y4L. I am a big fan of the original series and I have a lot of hope for this new version of the show. The current TV Guide with Hawaii Five-O on the cover is the first one I've bought in 5 or 6 years. I rarely watch TV with the exception of sports or Criminal Minds here and there...I actually pretty hyped to see this series. :good:

Hey, an update here on the Five-O thread because I know that everyone here is on the edge of their seats about this new show coming this fall!

Um ok...only me. :lol:

Have patience with me here. When I think of this place I think of the best part of my life.

Here's a photo of the original cast and the new one.

tvgpix2.gif

Five-O cast on TV Guide magazine.

tvguide50.jpg

On August 24thOriginal Capitol soundtrack will be released on Itunes/Amazon. <---Strictly for collectors only. I had mine for years now.

Fall Preview video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sepWDZiynxc&feature=fvst

Nope. You're not alone on this Y4L. I am a big fan of the original series and I have a lot of hope for this new version of the show. The current TV Guide with Hawaii Five-O on the cover is the first one I've bought in 5 or 6 years. I rarely watch TV with the exception of sports or Criminal Minds here and there...I actually pretty hyped to see this series. :good:

Criminal Minds used to be my favourite television show. That is until Mandy Patinkin left the show. After that, for me, it became to much like the other crime series out there.

Y4L - You're not alone. I'm looking forward to this as well. After seeing the actor playing Dano in the "Oceans" movie franchise (Oceans 11, Oceans 12, Oceans 13), it will be interesting to see him in a more serious role.

Hey Dylan,

I do agree that after Mandy left Criminal Minds, a lot of steam went out of the series; but on the whole I think it's still pretty decent and it keeps me interested. I also still think it's better than that terrible Lie To Me show on Fox...me and fellow professional psychologists laugh our butts off at how much they exaggerate to the nth degree. :db:

Criminal Minds used to be my favourite television show. That is until Mandy Patinkin left the show. After that, for me, it became to much like the other crime series out there.

Update: Spike TV will be having a marathon of Hawaii Five-O beginning on August 30th. They will be broadcasting the season one episodes.

[08/19/10 - 08:32 AM]

SPIKE TV PRESENTS WEEK-LONG "HAWAII FIVE-0" MARATHON

Released by Spike TV

[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

"BOOK 'EM, DANNO!!"

SPIKE TV PRESENTS WEEK-LONG "HAWAII FIVE-0" MARATHON

Network To Telecast Entire First Season The Week Of Monday, August 30 In Celebration Of CBS's Re-Make Of Classic Series

New York, NY - August 19, 2010 - In anticipation of CBS's new version of "Hawaii Five-0" starring Alex O'Loughlin, Scott Caan, Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park, Spike TV presents a week-long marathon featuring all 22 episodes from the very first season of the Emmy® Award-winning classic island cop series. Beginning Monday, August 30, the series will be telecast daily (9:00 AM-6:00 PM, ET/PT) leading into the season one finale Friday, September 3rd.

Premiering on CBS in 1968, "Hawaii Five-0" was the codename for an elite unit of the Hawaiian police force, answerable only to the state Governor. Starring Jack Lord as former U.S. Naval officer Steve McGarrett, James MacArthur as police officer Danny Williams and Kam Fong as Detective Chin Ho, the unit was tasked with fighting organized crime, international crime, felonies and basically anything the regular police couldn't handle. The original series aired for 12, seasons and the final episode was televised April 4, 1980.

Spike TV's marathon of the classic series will also feature special previews of the new series, which will premiere on CBS on Monday, Sept. 20, at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

Spike TV is available in 98.6 million homes and is a division of MTV Networks. A unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), MTV Networks is one of the world's leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms. Spike TV's Internet address is www.spike.com.

LINK.

Hey awesome! I saw that same billboard on the way to CityWalk (in Studio City) on Wednesday night. I can't wait to enjoy (hopefully) a television series again and thankfully it's not another "reality" sh#t and garbage show.

Billboard for the new Five-O along Ventura Boulevard in Studio City, Los Angeles.

billboardg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived