Official Impressions Thread

Trues

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They all look like rodents with acne. I hope the face modders out there will clean this mess up.

I have to say, that is a rather funny describtion...

The XBOX version is not so bad from what people say...

Damn, so far, I'm not getting MVP any sooner than Monday, the stupid XBOX drive replacement still isn't here... :evil:

After tweaking sliders and playing around with the game, here is what I have come up with:

1. The animations are much better than last year. Throwing the ball to players on the run is a Godsend. Less diving plays, so when they do happen they feel more special. I keep seeing new things that I have never seen before (or have at least been upgraded). I love blocked balls in the dirt now. The scoot every which way. The drag bunt is cool, and works about as well as it should. I am not always successful, but you get a real satisfaction out of slipping one past the pitcher and diving into first. The new 1st baseman scoops & DP animations are very good as well. Some look a little quick, but I am sure it is tough to synch these all up.

2. The ball physics seem much better. The ball bounces off the outfield wall better. I needed to up my power & contact a bit on all-star so the ball didn't seem so "heavy".

3. More walks, foul balls, better pitch meter. I have played games where my started threw 120 pitches in 7 innings.

4. Much improved dynasty mode. Owner mode has taken over as the unusuable broken mode in the game.

5. I think player faces are better, although I see where some would complain. Some players like Beltran, Piazza, Jeter, A-Rod, look fantastic.

This is the first Piazza I have seen in any game that really looks like him.

6. Mini games are fun. More would have been nice. I would have liked to see some real drills for Spring Training (kind of like what Madden has).

7. Love the fact that there is Single A now, and the prospects have projected abilities that can be changed.

8. I have slight stutter on longer throws (which is frustrating that it wasn't fixed, but doesn't really take too much away from the game). Otherwise the games runs smooth.

9. The new uniforms & stadiums are nice additions.

1. Being forced to build a new stadium from the get-go in Owner mode completely destroys the mode. On top of that, the C-A-B feature sucks. Who's idea what is it to throw in such a limited amount of customizable options? Seriously, how lame. Why would developers force such non-sense like this and not give us the option to turn it off? I don't quite understand it. It would have been much better if it was anything like Madden.

2. Commentary = crap, period.

3. Some player models are so disproportioned it's not even funny.

4. Can anyone tell me what the point of Manager mode is? Seems like a useless, waste of space feature to me. :? Does anyone actually get any enjoyment out of it?

Aside from those very major annoyances, I'm enjoying the game. Runs smooth, looks good, plays good. Can't wait to get my dynasty started. :mrgreen:

finally got it today. for some reason the install seemed to take forever! game seems to play well for the most part it seems fairly fluid in overall play.

haven't experienced too much choppiness so far. however the grass does shimmer, seems to be worse at the beginning of each game. players themsleves look kinda strange, actually thought they looked better stock out of the box last year. heads are large, and the few i have seen look a lot alike.

i've only played a couple quick games- seattle vs. tampa - ichiro looked better last year and his stance looked better last year as well IMO, he looks kinda like karim garcia in this version.

played against the a's also and kotsay looked bizaare.

the bad news...

only one thing wrong with this game for me and that is the terrible glowing, fuzzy green grass. I've tried everything to improve it and from what i have read on the forum i am not convinced that upgrading my video card will help. that said, i seriously hope that doesn't stop anyone from buying this game because...

the great news...

the fielding animations are stunning. They not only look great but they improve gameplay 300%; no more weird hits because 1st baseman is waiting for pitcher to get to the bag etc. I've played about 15 games and I am still seeing breathtaking animations: just saw a diving catch that ended with a roll and a quick side-arm throw from the knees to second - unbelievable.

The drag bunting has exceeded my expectation by a longshot. So fluid and effective with the right batter....we can finally have a true "small ball" experience with mvp.

the number of fouls, foul tips and balls with default settings is much much better than last year and i can't wait to see what all the great modders here have in store!

the bad news...

only one thing wrong with this game for me and that is the terrible glowing, fuzzy green grass. I've tried everything to improve it and from what i have read on the forum i am not convinced that upgrading my video card will help. that said, i seriously hope that doesn't stop anyone from buying this game because...

the great news...

the fielding animations are stunning. They not only look great but they improve gameplay 300%; no more weird hits because 1st baseman is waiting for pitcher to get to the bag etc. I've played about 15 games and I am still seeing breathtaking animations: just saw a diving catch that ended with a roll and a quick side-arm throw from the knees to second - unbelievable.

The drag bunting has exceeded my expectation by a longshot. So fluid and effective with the right batter....we can finally have a true "small ball" experience with mvp.

the number of fouls, foul tips and balls with default settings is much much better than last year and i can't wait to see what all the great modders here have in store!

This is my huge problem, too. But rest assured, once the mods are out, will be getting NIIIIICE grass :roll:

one other thing i have noticed: once i added the first 4 mods (spitoons- ball and bats and kc's uni update and kerms roster file) the game has player detail set to default LOW and it is greyed out- meaning it cannot be changed. has anyone else noticed this? i know it's not because of the mods or my system - i had almost every mod installed last year that was available, including all stadiums, all umachines unis, batting and fielding gloves, faces, rosters, datfiles, camera mods, a few of my own minor league unis etc. basically everything the game would hold. and could still set the player detail to high. anyone have an idea what's changed this time? players now look kinda "boxey" especially their feet after mods have been installed.

other than that, the game as a whole is starting to grow on me, it is pretty fluid, i'm not experiencing any choppiness really. and i started a M's dynasty (until someone does a barry mod at least), and it seems pretty realistic on all-star mode. although i have noticed hits are hard to come by for me and not as hard for the cpu, which is no real biggie- should be simply adjusted with sliders, which i haven't played with yet (just got the game yesterday). i'm noticing that long balls are not as frequent and they don't go quite as far YET, that may probably change as the game is mastered by a individual player. home runs are also equal between left and right handed baters. line drives seem to go where they should, bouncing softly off the walls on gappers etc. the jury is still out on hitters eye, i personally have found it a little hard to concentrate on exactly what type of pitch (indicated by the balls color while being released from the pitchers hand). i'm sure in time it'll be something you grow used to..

defense seems a lot stronger as i haven't really seen any of those slow dribblers roll past my infielders like in last year. shots up the middle are still hard for the second baseman and ss to get to, but, at times they can make a spectactular dive and snag one, usually this results in a weak throw to first and the runner being safe. of course this is with pokey reese in my experience so far, so stronger armed ss's may make the plays even more spectacular a little more often. still haven't snagged a homer yet, but IMO that's a tough one in most games.

pitching seems pretty good, the strike zones are a lot more realistic as far a the major league zone goes. at times umps will expand the zone to make a bad call, calling a ball a strike. other times they will shrink the zone and call an obvious strike a ball. pretty good to get your blood pumping at bad calls just like in real life.

other notes: player animations seem pretty cool, after a home run some guys watch the ball and then go into a slow jog. others do the generic overdone "point to the sky" routine. still haven't seen any special ones on defense yet if there are any.

the argue call thing for the manager is overdone IMO, it isn't an option until after a replay (or bypassing the replay) and doesn't seem to be an option after a controversial third out call, as the game immediatley goes to the between inning screen. so in that sense you really can't use it in the heat of the moment. obviously i haven't seen a play changed as the result of an argument and it results a lot of times in the mngr getting tossed, whether or not this "pumps" up the team i'm not sure yet. you can "control" the intensity of the argument by tapping the 4 button (i believe), but i haven't seen any arguments as drastic as pinella's (tossing bases etc.) in real life. maybe you can we'll have to play with it more i guess. it seems to me IMO that it should have just been set to some type of default frequency by the cpu, so the manager would run out after a obvious miscall and start the argument. it seems to take a llittle bit away from it to have to hold down the button, scroll to the appropriate screen and toggle down to the argument option. almost more hassle than the reward (if any) of the argument outcome.

grass is shimmery which is annoying as hell, but it seems to get better as the game progresses. it's at its worst during the opening sequence shot of each game, and as the starting pitchers make their initial warmups. stadiums are as usual "ok", although i see this year that ea has actually used a few "real" brands for advertising. ads like donruss, new era and a couple others are around the ballparks.

as i mentioned earlier in another post, players heads seem a little um "big" this year, and not quite as in detail as last year, other people say the opposite though. this may be due to the fact that the player detail has been set to "default low" in my game though, something i'll have to see if i can fix- may be time for a new card i guess...

haven't messed with owner mode yet, don't know i will as you cannot use the teams default stadium as a starting grounds. whch to me is ridiculous.

weather- haven't seen any rained out games yet or weather effects play a factor in a game yet. althought the announcers do mention weather forecast at the beginning of each game. i do see that it seems like there is the "wind" factor even in dynasty mode, which, should make a lot of us happy. the other weird thing i can see about dynasty is that upon entering each game, the before game screen indicates the time of day etc. the game is going to be played. yet right after that it gives you the option of game time (day or night), wind factor, and what stadium you want to play in, even when wind and weather etc. is set to random in dynasty options. i guess to some that may be cool, but honestly if it is set to random i personally would like the cpu to decide the outcome. it seems like it's too easy to tailor the wind factor to a users benefit. also if i'm playing with the giants, why would i want to play in PNC park for example? IMO these 2 options take away from the overall realism.

all in all i think the overall game so far that i've seen, is pretty darn good, and getting better as i go. the few things that are annoying other than the argument option are purely graphical and cosmetic, i'm sure they'll get ironed out as we go.

Just my two cents: I like it!

It's not as good as all of us had hoped for, of course, but hey, let's face it, we're

diehard pc baseball gamers. We ain't easy to please....lol. I know I'm not.

The All-Star Level is challenging, but not too difficult to be overwhelming. The

gameplay is improved in realism from last year's, I'm seeing a greater variety in

the flight of the ball off the bat so the physics seem to have been improved, and

the computer ai seems to be more aware of appropriate baseball strategy.

Yes, the choppiness on throws from third and short to first is annoying, but I've

been able to reduce it with the settings on my graphics card (ATI 9600) and I've

greatly reduced the static grass by following advice on here to set my antistropic

level to 8x. EA does have a decent track record of releasing patches so hopefully

they will address this problem with one soon.

The number of sliders has been increased, the datafile can still be modded, and

it doesn't seem like any of the areas in the game in which modding was done

last year have been closed down on us. I'm looking forward to the next year of

playing this game, especially thanks to all the wonderful improvements that I know

are coming from the MVP Community.

The CPU hits everything....I'm 1-3 and I've been ahead in all the games. The CPU just keeps hitting everything I throw, no matter how I throw it. I have the CPU contact and power down to -50 and they just hit like team from another world [double digit runs and hits....every game]

PLEASE....someone tweak the datafile to make it a more competitive game. It sucks this way!

The CPU hits everything....I'm 1-3 and I've been ahead in all the games. The CPU just keeps hitting everything I throw, no matter how I throw it. I have the CPU contact and power down to -50 and they just hit like team from another world [double digit runs and hits....every game]

PLEASE....someone tweak the datafile to make it a more competitive game. It sucks this way!

Mmhh, can't really say that at all. I think the games are much closer, the most so far, in terms of HR's per game, were 4, and that was 3 on my side, one for the CPU. ALL-STAR I feel right now is the way to go, and like I said, I have my slider settings from last year. After 8,9 games getting used to new gameplay, I enjoy the game a lot, it is much harder to hit, the hitter's eye almost always confuses me, so I turned it off, but all in all it seems way more realistic.

Other then the fact that I cannot play the game. IT ROCKS!!! Choppyness is so bad when I am being pitched to, the ball chips in so badly (chops ) that you cannot even hit. Its insane, theres no way to tell if its gunna be a ball or a strike .. thats how bad this choppyness crap is.

I started using the combo trues/spitoon data file and the difference in gameply is remarkable. Seriously deep pitch counts, lots of foul balls, walks, and really selective pitching on my part (if not I get lit). I liked the game before, but now with this data file mod it's borderline High Heat-esque. Hell Melvin Mora even legged out a baltimore chop for a single off of home plate.

Overall I think this years game is light years ahead of last years version. Mercifully I don't have choppiness to contend with. I'm not worried about outdated rosters either......the mod gods will provide. My only complaint really is the lame box score that STILL exists with this game. What does EA have against a major league styled box score?????

Regards;

well I finally got the game - good stuff. I haven't experienced any choppiness. I've noticed things others have mentioned - specifically the grass doesn't look that great and the stock unis are junk. My 1st mod (for myself only b/c of RIAA) will be to change the music - man the music on this thing drives me nuts. I usually like MVP's music, not this time. They even through a song that was in Madden on here. I'm not happy w/the fact they didn't update portraits but that's not a big deal since people like Hory and The H are around. Anyway, just my $.02 - ready to mod again!

Some things I noticed since playing are...

1) Intro movies are somewhat slow/lagging behind

2) After playing a game with EA Sports Online your user profile is not active

3) Announcers sometimes call out wrong players names

4) Extra out, like there would be 2 outs you get another one and your side will still be up

and thats all I noticed so far, if anyone else noticed these also then say so, so I'm not the only one thinking I'm crazy.

The biggest thing I absolutely love about this game are the improved physics. No more hard-hit balls going from 110 m.p.h. slowing down to 2 m.p.h. in 2 seconds!!! Plus more liners and doubles into the corners.

However, one thing I noticed is that the outfielders seem a bit stupid. A guy hits a groundball single, sometimes the outfielder will actually let the ball roll all the way to the wall and play it like an extra-base hit! Anybody else experience this?

As for all this talk about too few walks, I've been letting the CPU play on All-Star and my pitchers have walked as much as six in a row at one point. So my problem is too many walks. Any way I can fix this with the sliders?

What issues does the official patch plan to address?

Archived