Official Impressions Thread

Trues

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, EA dropped the ball.

They got a Classic Fenway, but no Classic Yankee Stadium.

[naughty word] YOU EA!!!

I'm sure that somebody will make a mod of Classic Yankee, like in '04.

I still can't believe that they have Veterans Stadium, but not Classic Yankee. I didn't see Ebbetts Field either.

Few create player notes - two more "generic" labeled stances. One of which I think is Edgar Martinez's.

Adrian Beltre stance is in the game and it looks pretty cool to me. I might use it for myself.

They have an Eric Chavez stance that looks cool, too. Much better than last year's bent stance for him.

Revamped Chipper Jones stance

Kaz Matsui stance, looks pretty cool.

David Ortiz, but we knew that.

I do not know how accurate these are but these are the new ones.

SF

Well, I gotta admit that I am just a tad disappointed with Owner mode, cuz you have to create your own park, and in that park, you have nothing, zero, I mean you can't even sell hot dogs, or popcorn...So that is for sure not what I expected it to be, because that really isn't realistic at all, and now, I have to shift what I was going to do because now I don't want to own a team that already has a brand new stadium, so I may have to settle being like the Devil Rays, which will actually be a cool challenge...

Second, I'm sort of pissed about the no Spring Training prior to season one, and that is because What time of year is it? Spring Training time...I guess that is sort of minor, cuz, before any roster mods come out, I am sure Spring Training will be close to, if not already over...

Finally, and this is just comical, and I'm not sure if this is par for the course compared with 2004, but on my Single A team I have the Krukow/Kuiper brothers....Not one, or two, but three players with the last name of Krukow, and two with the last name of Kuiper!!!

Thank God for modders!!

Oh, and the soundtrack seems like it would be more for a FIFA game that baseball, not sure if you guys noticed that, oh and what's the deal with the grass?

Other than that...the game rocks!!!

Some of the players heads seemed enormous. I played a quick couple of innings against the cardinals and when eckstein and walker came to the plate their heads were huge as though they needed to drag them to the plate. just one thing that seemed to stand out. other than that, with modifications, this game should be better than last year's version.

The Rightfielder just threw Rocco Baldelli out at first base

This was just after I was going to comment on how the AI is pretty good...I was the Devil Rays, playing the Durham Bulls in exibihition, and Durham's pitcher didn't give Aubrey Huff anything even remotely in the strike zone

Take this however you will, people who don't have the game:

When I installed the game, I immediately started a season with the Red Sox, because they have ridic. money and a great roster. On my first game, opening day, Schilling vs. Johnson, I threw a perfect game. Which I guess isn't all that impressive, but I was on the phone with my girlfriend for the first 6 innings while I was pitching. Manny also hit two home runs.

I'm abso-freaking-lutely in love with the hitter's eye. Yeah the game is really quite difficult to get used to in the beginning, but after the first game or so you realize how great it is. And I can't believe I ever thought ill of the batting mini-game, that is a truly obscene amount of fun and a great way to earn points.

I'm loving the game. Hitting is just more accurate, I'd say, rather than easier. It happens to be easier for me because it forces me to concentrate on the specific trajectory of the ball, which is good, and so i'm finding that easier. However the ball does come in a good deal faster, and i'm having a hard time always figuring out exactly where it's going to end up, but that's a good thing.

I'm just loving it, I think they did a great job and I'm thorougly entertained.

My impressions:

1) The commontary this year is not very good... I play as Anaheim and they talk about Dallas McPherson and how is gonna be send down to the minors... Just overall, weak.

2) Using manual fielding is unforgiving. If you are not quick enough, the ball goes right by ya, as it should.. I have to use assisted...

3) When trying to warm up a pitcher... there seems to be at least 3-4 menues you have to go through if you use the controller. While the menues are for defense and such.. it just seems alot of menues to get to the bullpen. Not a problem or issue..

4) The Owner mode.... I guess I do not understand it..... I went into owner mode and selected Anaheim as my team and I could not use Angel Stadium.. I had to create my own. Now I know that is the concept.. by why would I want to use a Major league team with a bare bones stadium. I hope with a patch or a mod, we can use the "real" stadiums... If not, I probalby will not use owner mode much, and it seems cool after the creation of the stadium part.

5) I like the replay after the play is over... It looks cool....

6) The graphics overall are ok.. seems to be like last year.. but touched up a bit.

7) The crowd looks really bad this year... they seems to "sway" in their seats..... up close it looks cheesy...

8) Baserunning has me confused. When I played my game, I got picked off twice. My player just stood there.. I pushed back on the controller and my player would not goto back to the base..Maybe this is a slider issue.. I will have to play more...

9) As far as the studdering issue... I have not seem any really bad instances.. I am running the game at 1024x768x32... I have to play more games and maybe this will come up.. but so far no problems....

OVERALL....

I give the game an 8....

GOOD- The physics are still strong... the graphics are good.. the batter/pitcher view is still awsome...Dynasty mode is still good...

BAD- Commontary is weak.....the crowd is cheesy.... Not necessarly bad... owner mode needs to be "fixed"

Thanks,

Mike

The music at the beginning is the FIFA theme "What a Finish". Don't know who it is by. Check the FIFA web site or the game if you are really interested in who the musician is.

By the way, I love 2005. Geat game play and no choppiness on my rig. Studders every once in a while but other than that flawless.

3) When trying to warm up a pitcher... there seems to be at least 3-4 menues you have to go through if you use the controller. While the menues are for defense and such.. it just seems alot of menues to get to the bullpen. Not a problem or issue..

The instruction manual says that we can warm them up the same way as last year (button 7, I believe)...but I can't get it to work. Like you, I have to pause and find the right menu. Has anyone been able to warm up a pitcher like last year, with the gamepad?

Archived