Official Impressions Thread

Trues

My impression is that the game is so much improved over last year its not even funny.

I played a game, Yankees v.s. Cardinals on the highest level and tried playing the same way I did last year. Randy Johnson gave up four homeruns in two innings for a total of 8 runs. I kept missing my spot on the pitch meter. THAT WAS GREAT! Finally I will have to work to win a game. I also couldn't hit to save my life in the first two innings.

Im going to really have to adjust to the hitters eye, as I keep seeing red and thinking fastball. :lol: You'd think red would be fastball, but oh well. Hopefully that will be moddable.

I agree the commentary is kind of bad. The announcers kept talking about how I don't have a very good fastball. ITS RANDY FREAKIN JOHNSON!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS2 Impressions:

-The pitcher finally doesn't look like he's throwing from center field! That's the first thing I noticed.

-Extremely fluid game play. I haven't had one glitch yet.

-LEFTY'S HIT HOMERS!

-Too many blown calls

-Graphics are essentially same, save some added detail. I don't have a problem with the grpahics. To me, the game "feels" different than last year, and that, to me anyhow, is what is most important.

-Single A teams are really cool

-The HITTER'S EYE is perhaps the best new feature in all of baseball games. Seriously. It really helps you pick up the pitches, even though I'm still swinging out in front of change ups, even though I KNOW THAT IT'S COMING :roll:

- I really like the new in-game menus.That's minor, but helps with my managing the game

- Arguing the Call is pretty cool

- Improved CPU AI all around, I think. No more pinch hitting a pitcher or sending in a slow running to run the base paths. Reasonable bullpen decisions and other subs.

OWNER MODE....

... Well, needless to say, I wasn't real pleased that I had to build a new park. After all, I'm playing with the Phillies. Granted, you can play in whatever park you want, but here's my gripe.... YOU CAN'T DO OWNER MODE IN A CURRENT BALLPARK. That means, even though I am playing my home games in Citizen's Bank Park, all of my revenue comes from my created stadium. My attendance numbers and such come from my created park, even though I'm not playing there. So, I'm still not making any money. I'm playing at a huge ballpark but, evidently, fans are still coming out to my created park despite no game being there. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to give in eventually, and start playing in my created park.

My idea was to play at CBP so I could gain enough income to start building on my new park. Well, that seems hard to do each day. We all know, we're losing money on the road, and lots of it. My created park looks like a single A park. I guess I just wish MVP had a owner mode similar to Madden's. MVP's is just no very realistic. Sorry, but no ball team starts with a crappy looking park for their new stadium. Doesn't happen. 8O

Overall - 9.0 out of 10

I love the gameplay, and no matter what, that's what matter the most :)

Anybody got any impressions of the XBOX version?

Anybody?...

It's awesome. No choppiness whatsoever and the controls are highly responsive. Some player faces look great like Manny Ramirez and Paul Konerko but others look very generic. Fielding is great this year. Your guys can actually run fast and the animations are fluid.

It's awesome. No choppiness whatsoever and the controls are highly responsive. Some player faces look great like Manny Ramirez and Paul Konerko but others look very generic. Fielding is great this year. Your guys can actually run fast and the animations are fluid.

Thanx.

By the way, are Owner Mode budgets different for different teams?

Like, would the Yankees have a MUCH larger budget than the Devil Rays, or are all the budgets the same for all the teams?

Thanx.

By the way, are Owner Mode budgets different for different teams?

Like, would the Yankees have a MUCH larger budget than the Devil Rays, or are all the budgets the same for all the teams?

I just bought the game yesterday and I'm in class right now so I haven't had a chance to try it.

My impressions:

1. It rocks.

2. I wish Owner mode was bit more realistic, it's a bit of a dissappointment (since it takes so freaking long to build a new stadium). But Dynasty is still as good as ever.

3. The Mini-games are amusing, although funnily easy if your Todd Helton or another good hitter (that pitching game is HARD).

4. I need to go up from Rookie (I've been playing rookie to get the hang of it again), I'm 5-0 as Orioles, Yankees are 0-5 (I can believe they got sweeped by the Red Sox, but by the Orioles, even with ME as the orioles?). And they're seems to be a glitch, at least in my dynasty, where the Yankees use fake people on 1B and CF even though they have Tino and Bernie.

5. Rosters need some work, but I've made a few essential changes.

6. Nice selection of retro jerseys, but there's still some things the modders can do.

7. Stadiums were a bit of a dissapointment, from what I can tell, most of the "new ones" are cookie-cutters.

8. I think Sadaharu Oh may be a classic player, he'd probably be the player labeled as "1b" but with no team next to it. Can someone confirm this?

one thing I forgot to mention was that the AI for the CPU was much better. Mulder had a shutout going into the seventh, gave up a double to Posada that I foolishy tried to turn into a triple and got thrown out by Edmunds, and then gave up a homerun. LaRussa yanked him and brought in Ray King against Giambi.

Managers faces look like crap. They seem to have been better last year.

Haven't tried a dynasty or an owners mode yet, but I will probably not do an owners mode. Not into the build a stadium idea. I like Yankee Stadium just fine. Im curious though whether we can hire new coaches and stuff in dynasty mode. Will inquire into this today after work...

Oh yeah, Sadaharu Oh, he's the guy with 868 career dingers...

Is Hank Aaron in the game?

It would be weird if Oh was in there but Aaron wasn't...

I don't know, it's just that Oh is the only 1st baseman I can think of that wouldn't have a major league team next to his name....

Good job lad...

This is my week off, and I can't play MVP 2005 on my week off 'cause I'm waiting for the damn package...that pisses me off to hell...damn...

Lad? Hehe. I'm actually 25 and taking CompTIA and Microsoft certification courses to polish up my resume. I already have my degree. :wink:

i have my first impressions and i have a question too.

question

as the games as only been avalble to play no more than 48 hours, how is that one member was able to get ern eoungh points yet to unluck all the classic parks. genrally that some 1,000 of points. seems qiuck. i'd love to get into some the uniform stuff, but hve varly little points yet. three games played and i don't what it'll take for me for to get there, since changed the way you can earm points. you half actully play to get them, but i like maaging or owning, as i can't pitch a lick.

my obersverations as far.

i haven't run into any noticeable errors in game play as of this point.i didn notice as of game, that the pitchers, are reasoable to the real world, so some point. starters seem to start out grate, pitching well for three or four inningsd, then slide quickly, middle pitching as bad, like it really seems to be, and closer seem to far will, like there intened to be. fielding is changed, but for the better. fielders don't seem to appear like there over running the ball in the outfield, more real, and they don't wither just catch the ball or drop it like last year. they catch, or they catch, and then look like there going drop, but catch it before dropping it, or they make errors. infield play more real. the double play is much more real. you dont have a runner every single time on top of ssecond everyn time 2b or ss is there trying to turn it, cutting uder him, everytime. you still have of coruse, but everytime. the play of the turning doubles plays seem more real. pitching of the ball appears and feels more natural to me in he movement, but also the ball itsdelf seems a little eaiser to generally see, which is good. i agee heads are different; but doesn't bother me that much. calls aer reasonable, a how much of the time do calls get missed as it is. it appears they did a bit of tweaking to ovrerall grapichs, but the big thing, and one not mnoticved and may help explan better smomthing graphics, is they restricted the res levels you can play at. the highest is 10something, by 12 something, wher last year at least for me is would been max 1600x1200. i've always played it at 1024x768. the catchers moves seems more real then they go to throw to second, and there more, buti'll save for others to explore.

PC Impressions:

I have to admit I was disappointed at first when I opened the game. I immediately started an owner mode dynasty with the Sox and well, as most people have touched on here it sucks. I don't understand how the Red Sox can't afford to sell concessions or merchandise in the beginning or any MLB team for that matter. Seems very unrealistic. The Stadium creation blows. For some reason you can't replicate the Green Monster in left field. The only high wall option is in right. Gimme a break.....I love the Green Monster.

After I got through all the unpleasentness of setting up my first season it was time to play the game everyone in the Northeast is waiting for. Schilling vs. Johnson opening day. Great graphics. The details are much brighter and the players acutally resemble themsevles consistently. I too, am in love with the Hitters eye. Although hitting is tougher in this mode because the pitcher appears a lot closer. You can use the old center angle if you want but you don't get the hitters eye effect.

EA worked out a lot of those annoying fielding errors. Instead of launching the ball into the dugout when throwing to the pitcher covering first you can now lead him and the pitcher will finish the play. It's more realistic than 2004. I have yet to see any outfielder catch a ball at an impossible degree. That seemed to be the case in 2004. They would turn their arms all sorts of unnatural ways when they caught the ball. The miscellaneous animations they've added really add to the realism of the game. Although if you like a realisitic game like I do you may want to adjust the rate of fatigue on pitchers. My first three starters went threw complete games.

The AI has improved. The pitchers rely on actual game strategy to produce outs in this one. I haven't felt like the CPU cheated me out of any outs yet. They all seem genuine. I had an 18 pitch at bat with Manny against Mussina. The offensive AI is improved to. The CPU will adjust their stance to increase the chances of getting a hit but they also tend to swing the bat a little more on the default CPU contact setting. That was my main pet peeve in 2004. The CPU hardly bit on anything out of the K zone.

I thought the mini games sucked. What practice field has all that crap on it? EA didn't cheese out the mini games in Madden why do it with MVP? Also you have to play an entire season before you can use Spring Training mini games as part of your dynasty. Lame.

Overall I would give this game a 7.5. I rate 2004 higher because after all the PC patches it was a very tight game. As the modders get their hands on it and the improvements start coming in I'm sure this 7.5 can easily turn into a 9 or higher. There is potential for this game to be even better than it's previous version if you can get over some of the bad parts of the game.

I'm sorry I didn't go into the unlockable players or classic stadiums. I have no interest in those extras.

I just got my copy today. I didn't pre-order it because there was no reason to. There's never a rush for sports games, with maybe the possible exception of Madden, so I just go in and pay the guy and walk out with my game.

My impressions:

I will be honest, I was worried about it since I have been reading about the choppiness a lot of you folks have been experiencing. So, with some reservation, I installed the game. And true to what everyone said, I had choppiness in the opening video of the game. I finally had to hit the ESC key to get to the main menu to get past it.

Once I was in the game, I made my profile and I was off. I played an exhibition interleague game against Washington. I was the Yankees. The choppiness that was in the opening video was NOT, thank God, in the game. I played that entire game with no problem at all.

My first game was Washington at the Yankees and I won it 2 to 1. But what I really want to say about that game besides the final score was how badly this game needs to be modded. I am happy we have people here that can do it.

What I would download first when it is modded:

1. Whomever made those "click to start" screens for last year's game I would request you do it again for 2005. I do not want to look at Money Ramirez every time I begin a game, thank you very much.

2. The grass. We have people in here that can make better grass for that game by using MS Paint. Oh well, I say. At least I don't have choppiness.

3. The players faces look AWFUL. Do yourself a favor and look at Hideki Matsui of the Yanks. They made him look like Herman Munster.

Anyway, like last year, this game will be hot once the modders take control over it. Thank you everyone!

I just got my copy today. I didn't pre-order it because there was no reason to. There's never a rush for sports games, with maybe the possible exception of Madden, so I just go in and pay the guy and walk out with my game.

My impressions:

I will be honest, I was worried about it since I have been reading about the choppiness a lot of you folks have been experiencing. So, with some reservation, I installed the game. And true to what everyone said, I had choppiness in the opening video of the game. I finally had to hit the ESC key to get to the main menu to get past it.

Once I was in the game, I made my profile and I was off. I played an exhibition interleague game against Washington. I was the Yankees. The choppiness that was in the opening video was NOT, thank God, in the game. I played that entire game with no problem at all.

My first game was Washington at the Yankees and I won it 2 to 1. But what I really want to say about that game besides the final score was how badly this game needs to be modded. I am happy we have people here that can do it.

What I would download first when it is modded:

1. Whomever made those "click to start" screens for last year's game I would request you do it again for 2005. I do not want to look at Money Ramirez every time I begin a game, thank you very much.

2. The grass. We have people in here that can make better grass for that game by using MS Paint. Oh well, I say. At least I don't have choppiness.

3. The players faces look AWFUL. Do yourself a favor and look at Hideki Matsui of the Yanks. They made him look like Herman Munster.

Anyway, like last year, this game will be hot once the modders take control over it. Thank you everyone!

Haha, LOL. Nice Review...

Hideki Matsui:

ph_425686.jpg

Heman Munster:

herman4.jpg

Here's my take on the owner's mode:

In a way I think starting from scratch does make some sense, at least if you think of it as having bought an existing team, and that it's not like taking over a team.

Like what happened with the Nationals this year. New team, new location, etc.

But I agree that you at least should have the option of recreating existing parks, like Fenway, etc.

A Yankee fan calling Manny Ramirez, "Money" Ramirez? Come on, you can't be serious. 8O

He was the highest paid player in the league last year, beat A-Rod by 500,000.

I know, just because it's a Red Sox player, he MUST be playing for minimum wage, after all, the Sox are a small-town team that won with a low payroll...[sEVERE SARCASM]

He was the highest paid player in the league last year, beat A-Rod by 500,000.

I know, just because it's a Red Sox player, he MUST be playing for minimum wage, after all, the Sox are a small-town team that won with a low payroll...[sEVERE SARCASM]

I know that Manny makes a ton of money (I believe he has the 2nd largest contract in baseball) and that the Red Sox payroll is the second highest in baseball. But A-Rod has the largest contract in MLB history and the Yankees have the largest payroll in baseball. The Yankees payroll at over $200 million still dwarfs the Red Sox payroll of around $130 million.

Archived