My suggestion for the start of the baseball season

Yankee4Life

We've seen already how stupid the schedule has been since the season began. The Yankees should have no business opening up this early at home because of the cold. Same for the Indians. The eastern teams should all start in better weather for the good of the players and fans. I wrote a letter to MLB about this some time back and it was completely ignored. Here's what I wrote. Let me know if you think this is a good idea or not.

Dear Mr. Manfred,
                                 I have been a baseball fan for many years now and for me the best part of the season has been Opening Day. Looking forward to that has helped me get through many winters here in Central New York.

However, once the season starts many of the games that open up on the east coast in places such as Philadelphia, New York and Boston are met with near freezing temperatures that neither the players or fans should have to put up with.

My solution is this. Start the season for the first week to ten days down in the south and out west and in places where there is a dome. There are thirty teams and it would work out well. Here is a list of where you can open up at and the weather would be more than cooperative.

Los Angeles
San Francisco
San Diego
Arizona
Milwaukee (domed)
Miami
Atlanta
Anaheim
Oakland
Texas
Houston
Seattle (domed)
Tampa Bay (domed)
Toronto (domed)

That's a total of fourteen. The next southern city would be Washington or Baltimore. Or, if you want to return to tradition, allow the Cincinnati Reds to open up the season.

If this was done it would eliminate a lot of rain outs and make the players and fans a lot more comfortable. Opening Day is meant to be enjoyed in the sunshine and not during a threat of snow where your fans are dressed up as if they are attending a NFL game.

Thank you.

13 hours ago, kozmafan223 said:

I think it's a good idea.  You could usually add St. Louis to that list.  We're normally at least a little warmer than Washington or Baltimore at the season's start

You're probably right. This idea of mine isn't perfect but it does provide warm home games for fourteen of the fifteen scheduled games. It's got to be a lot better than having games played in New York in early April for example.

• 6 years later...
On 4/7/2016 at 7:29 PM, Yankee4Life said:

We've seen already how stupid the schedule has been since the season began. The Yankees should have no business opening up this early at home because of the cold. Same for the Indians. The eastern teams should all start in better weather for the good of the players and fans. I wrote a letter to MLB about this some time back and it was completely ignored. Here's what I wrote. Let me know if you think this is a good idea or not.

Dear Mr. Manfred,
                                 I have been a baseball fan for many years now and for me the best part of the season has been Opening Day. Looking forward to that has helped me get through many winters here in Central New York.

However, once the season starts many of the games that open up on the east coast in places such as Philadelphia, New York and Boston are met with near freezing temperatures that neither the players or fans should have to put up with.

My solution is this. Start the season for the first week to ten days down in the south and out west and in places where there is a dome. There are thirty teams and it would work out well. Here is a list of where you can open up at and the weather would be more than cooperative.

Los Angeles
San Francisco
San Diego
Arizona
Milwaukee (domed)
Miami
Atlanta
Anaheim
Oakland
Texas
Houston
Seattle (domed)
Tampa Bay (domed)
Toronto (domed)

That's a total of fourteen. The next southern city would be Washington or Baltimore. Or, if you want to return to tradition, allow the Cincinnati Reds to open up the season.

If this was done it would eliminate a lot of rain outs and make the players and fans a lot more comfortable. Opening Day is meant to be enjoyed in the sunshine and not during a threat of snow where your fans are dressed up as if they are attending a NFL game.

Thank you.

I totally agree on this - have been saying to my friends for a very long time and cannot see why this is not done.