MVP 17 End of Season Rosters - I NEED YOUR OPINION!!

Gordo

In looking forward to how I do end of season rosters, where I typically include guys with the most service throughout the season, not just who is sitting there at the end, I'm thinking I'm going to re-work the control for pitchers.  Now it would be great if I had the time and I was being paid 6 figures to do this, but I'm not, so I can't look at every pitch for every pitcher and how efficient they are with it.  In some cases, it's the situation for a given pitcher.  For example, he may have only an average curve ball, but throws it in a count situation that during a given season it works well for a stretch of time.  So what I go with the percentage that they throw a given pitch and then figure out the highest control rate.  

To date I've been doing it by the ERA.  So in my calculation chart, what I came up with is, e.g., if an ERA is between 3.51 - 4.00, the control for the most thrown pitch (usually a fast ball) ranges from 70-66 (3.51 - 3.6 is a 70; 3.61 - 3.7 is a 69, etc.); then I just dumb it down from there based frequency they throw each pitch, because like I said, I'm not gonna analyze each pitch for each pitcher.

However, we all know that ERA isn't always the function of the pitcher, especially if he leaves men on base upon exiting a game, which isn't always his decision.

Therefore, I wondering if you guys think that WHIP (walks + hits per inning pitched) is a better indication of control and should be used to re-work the pitchers?  I've already thought that I can base it on a pitchers career stat vs. present season stat very easily from the baseball-reference pages.  

Let me know what you think!!

Additional information here.  If you go by ERA, the top 10 pitchers this season so far are:

Clayton Kershaw
Max Scherzer
Gio Gonzalez
Corey Kluber
Chris Sale
Stephen Strasburg
Luis Severino
Zack Greinke
Lance Lynn
Marcus Stroman

But if you go by WHIP:

Max Scherzer
Clayton Kershaw
Corey Kluber
Chris Sale
Zack Greinke
Stephen Strasburg
Luis Severino
Gio Gonzalez
Carlos Carrasco
Ervin Santana

So you can see by this small upper sample there would be some difference, sometimes marginal between certain pitchers.  This would also be easier to adjust pitchers up and down based on their overall career WHIP vs. the present season WHIP, which I would also consider a range of years within their given careers.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, going to continue in here for the next part.  I'm going to show a screen shot from MVPedit of the final squads along with the pitching rotation screen (example below).   I'll post each division as I finish them.  I always run into who to include when it comes to service to the team because you can get a late season trade and, even though the player maybe didn't give a lot of service to the team, it's hard to exclude him because of who he is.  Also, if you see any jersey numbers errors, let me know that too.

So if you have any opinions for changes along the way, let me know.  Keep in mind, that even if a player is done for the season as of recent, he still could have had enough "service" to the team to be included in these rosters (as seen in the NYY example).

Capture.thumb.JPG.c9d10b24c9d000e9ab5d59666ac6765f.JPG

I've been checking ERA+, WAR and FIP to determine pitcher ratings for the rosters I've been doing, usually in that order. I base most of the ratings off of ERA+, then I take a look to verify pitcher value with WAR, then I look at FIP as kind of "proof" of a pitcher's performance.

3 hours ago, kyleb said:

I've been checking ERA+, WAR and FIP to determine pitcher ratings for the rosters I've been doing, usually in that order. I base most of the ratings off of ERA+, then I take a look to verify pitcher value with WAR, then I look at FIP as kind of "proof" of a pitcher's performance.

If I were paid to make rosters, I'd say that your formula/guideline would be great.  But, since I'm going to essentially re-do all the pitchers that make it to the MLB level, I'm going to need 1 indicator.  So far between what guys are saying here and at OS, WHIP is about the best single indicator to determine the "control" factor for pitches.  What do you think?

3 hours ago, A-Rod696 said:

@Gordo

Corrected numbers

Jaime Garcia #34
Sonny Gray #55
Ben Heller #61
Bryan Mitchell #66
Erik Kratz #36
Austin Romine #27
Gary Sanchez #24
Greg Bird #33
Clint Frazier #77
Aaron Hicks #31

Bonus:

Ben Heller, Must be in yankees.

Thank you sir...... I'll make sure that especially the MLB players are correct.  Are you saying Ben Heller should be on the MLB squad for the end of season above someone else?  He's only pitched 4 inns. to date.  He can easily be moved to the NYY organization though.

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

Thank you sir...... I'll make sure that especially the MLB players are correct.  Are you saying Ben Heller should be on the MLB squad for the end of season above someone else?  He's only pitched 4 inns. to date.  He can easily be moved to the NYY organization though.

I understand. No gordo, I meant he must be in the Yankees, because he's in the Mets. I already did, It was just a suggestion.

40 minutes ago, Gordo said:

Yes, already moved...thanks.   What I'm looking for here is when I post my submissions, if anyone would challenge someone on the team over a player I have there.   Minor leaguers can always be moved.  But I'm focusing on the MLB.

Okay gordo, I get it. Thank you for your continued contribution.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a few adjustments to some teams posted above but nothing drastic.

Presently incorporating WHIP into the new control number and I'm really liking the initial tests!  Only have 2 divisions to go, plus still have to look at good batting pitchers and adjusting their power/contact number.

Should be ready today, 9/29

20 minutes ago, Luigui10 said:

disculpa no hablo inglés, si puedes entenderme me gustaría que subieras a la pagina el archivo  .mbe   que contiene ésta configuración de los roster de los 30 equipos gracias!!

I don't speak Spanish.

Open MVPedit.   Import the rosters into MVPedit and save to an .mbe file.

Archived