Gordo's rosters. A Step-by-Step visual tutorial

Yankee4Life

For years now I have noticed that some people have had some difficulty following the (from what I see it) very simple and self-explanatory directions from Gordo on how to correctly install the latest roster set that he has uploaded. And it has not just been newcomers to Mvpmods who are guilty of this. People who have been here many years have done it too and what I want to attempt to do here is try to help everyone with this with the help of a visual aid.

First let's look at Gordo's instructions which he includes in every version of his rosters:

INSTALLATION:  Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\EA SPORTS\MVP 2005 (or whatever you named it)\data\database subfolder.  DELETE the existing 19 .dat files.  Unzip this roster file to that location.  DO NOT SIMPLY OVERWRITE!

Simple instructions yet people have still not been able to follow it. What I am going to do is take apart all four sentences and explain each one of them and after I am done maybe it will help the ones out there who need it.

Sentence #1: Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\EA SPORTS\MVP 2005 (or whatever you named it)\data\database subfolder.

Here Gordo is telling you where the roster files are located in your Mvp 2005 game directory. No matter where you have your game installed the roster is ALWAYS going to be located in the data\database folder.

Location.jpg.914c5b223969331f59d0855081df54a2.jpg

Sentence #2. DELETE the existing 19 .dat files.

468244460_19datfiles.jpg.ecfccb2e1a5c50ada46a5b7d6ab458b6.jpg

Here are all the 19 .dat files in the data\database directory that you need to delete to install the newest roster. And this is what the directory is going to temporarily look like when you delete these nineteen files.

1172095393_Afterdeletion.jpg.8bb59a831bbab9526c35dafe15bdfd68.jpg

Sentence #3. Unzip this roster file to that location.

466829394_Updatedroster.jpg.6640eeb96a0a576a19e8e382c395e372.jpg

As you can see you are right back to where you started but what you did was delete the old .dat files and replaced them with the newer ones that go with the updated roster.

Sentence #4. DO NOT SIMPLY OVERWRITE!

Now if you have read this tutorial from the beginning you will see that the correct way and the only way to use Gordo's wonderful rosters is to DELETE those .dat files and not just overwrite them because if you think you just can do it that way then I am sorry to say you are just selling yourself short.

That's that. This should (or at least I hope) explain all that you need to do to use Gordo's rosters.

Thanks for doing that.  The only thing that I would add to make it even simpler is that in any Windows folder you can right click on a blank area and "Group" by "type".  That way, all the .dat files are grouped together and easily deleted all at once when you chose that group's category name (in this case, .dat files).

Also, make sure your cyberfaces minimally are up to date.  If you don't want to do that, your only other choice is to change ever custom cyberface assigned to the default ones (901-915), otherwise you'll probably get a crash.

Very nice set of instructions.  You can correct me if I am wrong, but there should also be a disclaimer that you cannot simply just install the rosters on top of a default installation of MVP2005.  You need to install the MVP12 or MVP15 mod first and then install the latest cyberfaces.  As you are well aware, if you are missing a cyberface used in the rosters, the game will crash.

I believe that information is discussed here:

Very true Jim..... you can get a mismatched cyberface because the latest one isn't installed.  In that case, you'll get the mismatched face because the no. is assigned correctly to the player, but the face is just not up to date (like in this example of Voit):

voit.JPG.678d3caf11035170bb05ed131813397c.JPG

On 6/4/2019 at 12:49 PM, Gordo said:

Very true Jim..... you can get a mismatched cyberface because the latest one isn't installed.  In that case, you'll get the mismatched face because the no. is assigned correctly to the player, but the face is just not up to date (like in this example of Voit):

voit.JPG.678d3caf11035170bb05ed131813397c.JPG

Is this the same for MLB 2K12? I am having this issue with Voit having Gleyber's face.

• 3 months later...

Question. And I have done a lot of looking around on the forums. It seems that there is no single download to get all of the cyberfaces in one package. I have a fresh install of MVP 2005. I have downloaded Gordo's end of 2019 roster. If I'd like to not mess with all of the faces, I can open the roster in MVPedit and change all faces to 901-915 and that might keep the game from crashing? And then if I wanted to I could perhaps start finding faces and adding them in? 

You can absolutely do that (and make sure you get the managers' faces too).  Of course, once you find faces, you'll need to change the corresponding face numbers back. Keep in mind that a few face makers along the way didn't pay attention to the official list and just assigned their own willy nilly (I'm not even British!)

PM me.

21 hours ago, Gordo said:

You can absolutely do that (and make sure you get the managers' faces too).  Of course, once you find faces, you'll need to change the corresponding face numbers back. Keep in mind that a few face makers along the way didn't pay attention to the official list and just assigned their own willy nilly (I'm not even British!)

PM me.

Ok thanks. I'm off to a good start. I made all the faces generic on the Cardinals (including the manager) and I can start a game with the Cardinals playing the Cardinals without the game crashing. Cardinals vs. other teams crashes the game on game load. So I need to get to work on the other teams.

10 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

Martonian, while you did ask a legitimate  question you posted it in the wrong thread. I made this thread for people who have had problems installing Gordo's rosters. It has nothing to do with cyberfaces. You should have made a new thread.

This thread is about getting Gordo's rosters to work. And just as Gordo said above, if all you do is install his roster to your game and do nothing else, the game will crash because of cyberfaces. So, it does have something... actually a lot to do with cyberfaces. 

On 10/10/2019 at 8:33 PM, Gordo said:

After you installed them, when you go into the manager's section is this where you're seeing the correct up to date rosters or are you talking about in a season / franchise you started earlier?

No, as soon as I start the game, and go into the Manager's section. I haven't started a franchise/ dynasty. After I replace the files, is there anything else that I need to do?

After deleting the 19 .dat files and replacing them, reboot your PC.  When you go into the manager's section, the game has to read those files since they are now the default.  It's nothing more than that..... unless you have more than one install and your accessing the wrong one.

Archived