Dano's Faces

LetsGoFish2015

I will use my own thread here!  I am still very new to modeling and Blender and such, but I am working on some players, as well as all MLB managers.  This post will include Marlins 3B Brian Anderson & Yankees manager Aaron Boone.  I appreciate anyone who can help me get better at this.

Brian Anderson Rendered.png

Aaron Boone.png

Brian Anderson.png

2 hours ago, LetsGoFish2015 said:

Facebuilder keentools and photoshop

I took a look at the app, and it looks like the program generates its own 3D head model, which is cool, but won't really work with MLB2K12. 

Why, you ask?  It's because the models within MLB2K12 have several parts and vertices that the game defines for the 3D model and applies a texture to, like teeth, eyes, eyelids, etc.

The best way you can start on faces, if you want to seriously commit some time to it, I feel is by learning how to edit the textures the game uses. It's gonna be a lot, to be honest and I don't mean to assume your skill level, but I'm just going to throw this out there for anyone else who wants to make faces: 

At a surface level, you're going to want to figure out how the main texture/alpha channels work, how the lighting texture works (the green texture), and how the ambient occlusion works (the white shadowy face). Since you're working with Photoshop, you may want to take some time to figure out blending techniques, matching skin tones, how to resize and warp, etc. There are guys in the NBA2K community that work on head shapes all the time, and they've made some significant tutorials on how to manipulate player headshots to create the headshape textures. The PES community (soccer) also have tutorials on creating cyberfaces since the methods are identical. I know my way around texture editing so I can chime in if you're ever stuck.

I would try using a stock face as your base that you can play around with, then when you feel like you're ready to mold it, convert the face to a format compatible with Blender.  I haven't necessarily worked on faces myself but the texture work required is similar to jerseys/accessories. I would definitely look into asking those who do work on faces for some pointers.

I believe in you man, it just takes 10,000 hours and a mix of patience, coffee, beer, sleep, YouTube tutorials, alcohol, and a ton of weekends to learn a skill.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47b828d4527d038be7d7

17 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

I took a look at the app, and it looks like the program generates its own 3D head model, which is cool, but won't really work with MLB2K12. 

Why, you ask?  It's because the models within MLB2K12 have several parts and vertices that the game defines for the 3D model and applies a texture to, like teeth, eyes, eyelids, etc.

The best way you can start on faces, if you want to seriously commit some time to it, I feel is by learning how to edit the textures the game uses. It's gonna be a lot, to be honest and I don't mean to assume your skill level, but I'm just going to throw this out there for anyone else who wants to make faces: 

At a surface level, you're going to want to figure out how the main texture/alpha channels work, how the lighting texture works (the green texture), and how the ambient occlusion works (the white shadowy face). Since you're working with Photoshop, you may want to take some time to figure out blending techniques, matching skin tones, how to resize and warp, etc. There are guys in the NBA2K community that work on head shapes all the time, and they've made some significant tutorials on how to manipulate player headshots to create the headshape textures. The PES community (soccer) also have tutorials on creating cyberfaces since the methods are identical. I know my way around texture editing so I can chime in if you're ever stuck.

I would try using a stock face as your base that you can play around with, then when you feel like you're ready to mold it, convert the face to a format compatible with Blender.  I haven't necessarily worked on faces myself but the texture work required is similar to jerseys/accessories. I would definitely look into asking those who do work on faces for some pointers.

I believe in you man, it just takes 10,000 hours and a mix of patience, coffee, beer, sleep, YouTube tutorials, alcohol, and a ton of weekends to learn a skill.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47b828d4527d038be7d7

Thanks bro!  Can you maybe work with me a bit to help me out?

11 hours ago, LetsGoFish2015 said:

Thanks! Here is Dallas Keuchel!

Dallas Keuchel.png

Can these models be used in the MLB 2K12 game? Shall we see what the model looks like in the game? If  can't, then I don't see the point of your work.

Greetings friend, your work is in progress
We just need to know what format is that since currently for the mlb 2k we work in cff or nkm format?
if you work in a different format these faces would not have an effect in the game thanks

15 hours ago, wuilmer26f said:

Greetings friend, your work is in progress
We just need to know what format is that since currently for the mlb 2k we work in cff or nkm format?
if you work in a different format these faces would not have an effect in the game thanks

Not sure on all that. Still new to all this.  I'm just trying to contribute a lil bit.

Anthony Rizzo

Paul Goldschmidt

Anthony Rizzo.png

Paul Goldschmidt.png

Archived