AI Logic, Overall Ratings and Franchise mode

WacoKid

I have begun trying to create a tiered rating system that will help the AI make more realistic decisions with roster management, lineups, and trades in franchise mode.  This has been an issue with all rosters I have come across that I don't think is intentional, but more of someone trying to objectively rate individual players without consideration of how this influences the AI.  Basically if we come up with scales for overalls, attributes and abilities for MLB->A ball, the AI can make better decisions that reflect a real world situation more accurately.

For example.  Many times I have gone into franchise, and see guys who are in AA or AAA with higher ratings than guys on the MLB roster.  If you have the AI manage anything at any point, these kinds of discrepancies can lead to guys who never played at the MLB a day in their lives in your starting lineup.  As human players we can just do it ourselves and avoid these issues, but who wants to spend time managing the rosters of 29 other teams?  I think a solution is to tier and cap the overall ratings of players below the MLB level. 

I am starting this project by adjusting the overalls, attributes and abilities of two teams, because I do think this still needs to be viable from a game play perspective first.  Have started with pitching staffs of the Angels and Astros to see how much this affects hitters and what adjustments need to be made from a balance perspective. 

My first draft for this tiered rating system are as follows, a tiered system where the range gets smaller as you move down in level.  Meaning the difference between the AI moving a player from A to AA is smaller than going from AA to AAA and so forth.   Progression needs to be greater to advance as the players move up in levels of play. 

MLB - Overall 75 and above.  Will also have to look at attributes and abilities as these will need to be higher at the MLB level as well.

AAA - Overall 65-74

AA -  Overall 58-64

A - Overall 63 and below.

There are going to be lots of factors that can influence this in a roster that I have yet to explore, like how the potential and peak age mechanics work.  But this is where I am now, and if anyone more experienced has suggestions I'd like to hear them.

• 2 weeks later...

Circling back on this, would it make sense to decrease the attributes of everyone on teams 30-59, 60-89, and 90-119 to say like 25% to meet that OVR threshold that the AI determines whether to promote/demote talent? Not sure if I'm explaining this properly.

5 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

Circling back on this, would it make sense to decrease the attributes of everyone on teams 30-59, 60-89, and 90-119 to say like 25% to meet that OVR threshold that the AI determines whether to promote/demote talent? Not sure if I'm explaining this properly.

I think I get the jist of what you are saying.  Is there more to the AI’s decision other than overall rating?  It seems fairly straightforward to me but is there any evidence other criteria is used?  You would definitely know more than I do here, could you flesh out what you are saying a bit more if I misunderstood?

I have toyed around with just increasing MLB level pitcher overalls by mainly increasing the individual pitch ratings, the velocity, control, and movement of their pitches.   Increasing their movement seems to impact a few things, and one that I had never seen before in game was a check swing on a ball by the AI called for a strike because they broke the plain. It also will increase the AI chasing pitches out of the zone. It was really encouraging to see this make the AI more aggressive at the plate, but at this point strikeout rates are too high and I need to compensate somewhere to correct.  Maybe by slightly increasing the hitters eye vs L/R ratings?

• 1 month later...

Archived