How active is 2005 modding these days

GamingCeo27

I am trying to decide if I should get mvp 2005 for the PlayStation 2 or the pc . Only difference would be modding on the pc so can one explain what mods are still out there that are easy to get so I can understand what I can still gain in 2021 going with the pc version ? 

Exactly what Jim said. I'm working on a 1998 classic mod, and you wouldn't be able to get that on ps2. The ps2 version is pretty much as you see it. Defaulting to 2005 rosters, you'd have to change anything you wanted manually, and you'll have generic advertising and stadium features. The mods done here on the PC version have customized things to a great extent.

So if you're just looking for the boilerplate throwback game that won't have the expanded wild card or the future playoff expansion and still includes the All-Star Game winner as the home league in the World Series, the ps2 version is for you. The PC version won't change any of the issues that come with the natural evolution of the game, but it'll make things look a little better.

16 hours ago, GamingCeo27 said:

I am trying to decide if I should get mvp 2005 for the PlayStation 2 or the pc . Only difference would be modding on the pc so can one explain what mods are still out there that are easy to get so I can understand what I can still gain in 2021 going with the pc version ? 

This little stat should answer your question if you are still having any doubt. In the download section there are only ten submissions for the PS2 for Mvp baseball. The last one is almost ten years old as the user uploaded a roster update for 2011 on February 15, 2012. After that, nothing.

One possible option if you're willing to spend a little extra money is to purchase an older computer with Windows 7 specifically for this game. That's what I did back in the winter of 2020 when I found this website. I owned MVP 2005 on the PS2 for years and did a bunch of modding, or what you might call modding, such as switching up batting stances, changing names, heights/weights, etc. I created some of my favorite all-time teams like the 1986 Mets and 1969 Cubs, and just played against the teams on the original PS2 game, with a few of the unlocked HOF players added on certain teams.

There's also folks who mod for the PS2 version and sell drives on Ebay with updated current MLB teams and players with attributes, some of which I still have. But like the posters above said, modding on the PS2 version doesn't come near the historical accuracy or preciseness of the PC version. You're not gonna have the newest (or accurate to a certain year) stadiums or uniforms, not to mention the correct faces. 

Old "tower" computers already configured with Windows 7 can be purchased on Ebay for $150 bucks or less. I know that's a bit of an expense but it's been worth every nickel as much as I enjoy this particular game. Plus it will give you all the backup space in the world for all the TC versions, as well as saving games, stadiums, uniforms, tools, etc. That's what I did and I'd recommend it to anyone out there :) It's still way cheaper than the newest gaming systems and I get more personal enjoyment out of MVP 2005 and all the amazing TC classic versions than any modern games on the market today. 

1 hour ago, Savoy Special said:

One possible option if you're willing to spend a little extra money is to purchase an older computer with Windows 7 specifically for this game. That's what I did back in the winter of 2020 when I found this website. I owned MVP 2005 on the PS2 for years and did a bunch of modding, or what you might call modding, such as switching up batting stances, changing names, heights/weights, etc. I created some of my favorite all-time teams like the 1986 Mets and 1969 Cubs, and just played against the teams on the original PS2 game, with a few of the unlocked HOF players added on certain teams.

There's also folks who mod for the PS2 version and sell drives on Ebay with updated current MLB teams and players with attributes, some of which I still have. But like the posters above said, modding on the PS2 version doesn't come near the historical accuracy or preciseness of the PC version. You're not gonna have the newest (or accurate to a certain year) stadiums or uniforms, not to mention the correct faces. 

Old "tower" computers already configured with Windows 7 can be purchased on Ebay for $150 bucks or less. I know that's a bit of an expense but it's been worth every nickel as much as I enjoy this particular game. Plus it will give you all the backup space in the world for all the TC versions, as well as saving games, stadiums, uniforms, tools, etc. That's what I did and I'd recommend it to anyone out there :) It's still way cheaper than the newest gaming systems and I get more personal enjoyment out of MVP 2005 and all the amazing TC classic versions than any modern games on the market today. 

Agreed. I just happened to be lucky enough to have a desktop that came with Windows 7 with the option to upgrade to Windows 8. I've kept it for video game purposes only. So I'm able to run MVP Baseball 2005, NBA Live 06, and NHL 2004 just from that machine.

Archived