Building the "perfect" baseball game, a thread

Kccitystar

3 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

I've been taking some courses on Unity's learning site, which have been super helpful. It's all entirely free if you want to pick it up and learn the engine :)

I have played it all. Front Page Sports I think is the spiritual successor to TLR in terms of how well it can sim

Are you sure about that? The first Front Page Sports came out in 1994 and of course I bought it because it was baseball but it was a disappointing game. A game company called Dynamix came out with it but there were some more editions of it and the one from '98 was an improvement.

Front Page Sports 1994

FrontPageSportsBaseball94.jpg.2d61338c64f28780df248f70681b6657.jpg

Tony Larussa Baseball II. This came out before Front Page but has a lot of good things going for it. I still play it to this day.

Tony2.jpg.9dc867076e7f261063446f332bcdf9b7.jpg

Hardball 5 is another one I play a lot. A very good one.

Hardball5.jpg.ae1d4dd85d2a353d1fedfbefdcc82f25.jpg

23 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

I've been taking some courses on Unity's learning site, which have been super helpful. It's all entirely free if you want to pick it up and learn the engine :)

Probably a bit over my capabilities, but I'm willing to give it a read.

• 6 months later...

I read through this thread a bit, saw some mention in of moddability being of utmost importance or not.  In my opinion, if anything is opening up options to the player in regard to the rules of the game.  Think internationally too.  We’ve seen rule changes here in the MLB recently.  And a big selling point for this game could be rule customization that allows the player to somewhat emulate the game over different time periods and in different countries.  Rules affect how a game is played.  Allow a more physical game with breaking up double plays and hard nosed plays at the plate.  

You could even dive into unwritten rules like the option for retaliation for pimping a homer.  Things like that tell the story of the game from different time periods and set the game up how you want it to be played.  It isn’t flashy stuff for a video game but as an element it could set the game apart.  

On 11/10/2022 at 2:16 PM, Kccitystar said:

Gameplay design - Traits

Another gameplay idea that I think would be solid to any potential baseball game is the implementation of a fully loaded trait system/player personality model. 

Something really cool and add a little more strategic depth from a GM/managerial perspective, trait sets for players that have affects both on and off the field.  

An on the field trait you could call Nails, where a player plays through minor injuries without negative effects.  

Or an off the field one called Hollywood, where they may be somewhat of a toxic clubhouse personality.  

When making trades, draft decisions or putting someone in a clutch situation you make the player look beyond the numbers and find what best fits the needs of that situation, trade or draft pick.