Can't Access The Site? Please Read (Updated 27 January)

Kccitystar

Hey Everyone,

We've had an influx of old, inactive accounts with likely compromised credentials spamming several threads over the course of a couple of weeks and as such, we've had to upgrade our security a bit. As of today, all accounts are set up to have multi-layered security (two-factor) enabled, which should alleviate this issue altogether. A special thank you to @Yankee4Life for exercising moderator duties to clean this up.

This change means that you will need either an authenticator app to log in securely, or if you don't want to do that, you will need to set up some security questions to keep your account safe. The authenticator app I personally use is Authy to keep all of my accounts secure. This entire process is similar to what other communities use and what a lot of applications use to avoid having your account compromised. There is no such thing as a perfect system, but the team here will consistently try to keep your accounts protected by as many layers as possible as a deterrent.

With this change, unfortunately everyone's been logged out, and there's been a massive password reset for all members.

If you know someone who has not received an email, please reach out to accounts@mvpmods.com and we'll contact them personally to have their credentials reset.

This is all part of making sure our community is safe for yet another season of baseball.

-KC

Hi,

I am young so don't take what i am about to say wrong.

Yes other communities have these kind of security features, you are right about that. Most of those communities cater to the younger crowds playing newer or online games.

But in my opinion, this is only my opinion.

This is going to kill the traffic to this site, because this site is already lucky if 30-40 different people even visit on a daily basis, not the ones who do multiple times per day.; but different accounts.

Now factor in how old this MVP Baseball game is, means the average age of most of you is easily 40 to 45 and up.

Most won't even bother with the new security feature and just back clip right out, and eventually just stop coming.

Just saying because that is what my Father would probably do, say the hell with it, and ask why all these new questions and definitely wouldn't be messing around with a QR code to verify him.

Just my opinion,

Were you hacked?

Glad your back

13 hours ago, BillyBall305 said:

Hi,

I am young so don't take what i am about to say wrong.

Yes other communities have these kind of security features, you are right about that. Most of those communities cater to the younger crowds playing newer or online games.

But in my opinion, this is only my opinion.

This is going to kill the traffic to this site, because this site is already lucky if 30-40 different people even visit on a daily basis, not the ones who do multiple times per day.; but different accounts.

Now factor in how old this MVP Baseball game is, means the average age of most of you is easily 40 to 45 and up.

Most won't even bother with the new security feature and just back clip right out, and eventually just stop coming.

Just saying because that is what my Father would probably do, say the hell with it, and ask why all these new questions and definitely wouldn't be messing around with a QR code to verify him.

Just my opinion,

Were you hacked?

Glad your back

Hey,

No offense taken with your concerns. I'm listening.

We've gone through a string of account hijackings where people with aged accounts dating as far back as 2008 have posted links to crypto or other miscellaneous items recently.

When I recently set up two-factor authentication, the intent for me was to really just keep the site secure from bad actors like this above all else, but at the same time, maintain a compromise in safety with the older demographic who have been a part of this community and the younger demographic who have recently discovered MVP Baseball every single time we've been mentioned in some media outlet, which is why I set up the ability for members to answer three security questions, or the ability to set up your two-factor authentication through an app.

For perspective, the site itself is fairly old. We set up shop in 2005 and have had a ton of members who have been a part of the community for quite some time and have left the community for whatever their reasons were, so we've always had people cycle in and out, myself included.

Just my own take here but this is no different than the mechanisms you or anyone else go through with setting up an online account through a bank, or an online service, or any modern site, and I am fairly certain your father would understand the reasoning on why an additional step is necessary for a site that hosts content on this scale.

Additionally, this process isn't instantaneous. It'll take a couple of days for the system to send out reset emails.

Best,

KC

I have a helpful recommendation for all of you who want to set up some security questions to keep your account safe.

This is the way I did it and after I answered the four questions (and you must answer them all, and after that was cpmpleted what I did was take a screen shot of my four answers and put the file away on my flash drive. You also can print out the image if you care to. Writing down the answers works too but keep in mind this is a very picky system as I found out the hard way! One of the questions you are asked is who is your favorite baseball player so I typed out the answer and I got a notice that I provided an incorrect answer. Then I realized that I did put a period at the end of my answer like I gave when I was filling it out and when I put the period in I was told I was right. Kind of like this:

Isaiah Kiner-Kalefa   <-----wrong!

Isaiah Kiner-Kalefa.   <-----right!

This thing doesn’t mess around, so save your answers no matter what way you decide to do it.

14 hours ago, Jim825 said:

Who would have guessed that Kiner-Falefa is your favorite baseball player? 

You continue to be a funny guy Jim. 🙂

While I do like IKF and he was one of my favorite 2022 Yankees he is not my favorite. Dimaggio, Gehrig, Maris, Ford, Joe Jackson, Ty Cobb, Lefty Grove, Pete Reiser, oh the list goes on. I just used him as an example. 😀

An update:

As of Friday night, password retrieval emails are working properly along with account activation emails. You'll need to check your junk or spam folders to look out for potential emails you've missed but they should not be straight up blocked by your email provider like in the past.

If you recently registered, I can see your account and its status in the admin panel. The system we have will give you 7 days to verify your account via email, so a week from your initial registration. If you don't end up validating your account, the site will just purge it and you'll have to start over.

If you haven't received anything at all, email accounts@mvpmods.com (which is now working and I directly manage this mailbox) and we'll get you sorted by either manually activating or I'll setup your login myself with your own credentials that you can change.

Archived