I will only say this once.

llcmac

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"So is that what you do around here, you just go around insulting people....O ok, I am the immature one"

I wasn't insulting anyone, in fact I didn't even make the threat, sometimes you can watch immaturity at it's best without having to say a word. As we say in the law business, "your honor, I have nothing more for this witness".

Dismissed! :D

I never said you made a threat, I never made a threat, I never said I was upset. You would make a good lawyer, you are good at spinning things around, making something out of nothing. You just like to follow me around an call me immature. I'm sorry exactly what about my first post was immature. Did I attack someone, did I say I wanted someone banned? no.

"So is that what you do around here, you just go around insulting people....O ok, I am the immature one"

I wasn't insulting anyone, in fact I didn't even make the threat, sometimes you can watch immaturity at it's best without having to say a word. As we say in the law business, "your honor, I have nothing more for this witness".

Dismissed! :D

Hey, the only person getting "dismissed" in here is going to be you if you keep this up. You have no right to insult llcmac or anyone else in here. When you start contributing to something in here except handing out insults, then you can talk. Llcmac worked hard and long on this roster with another person and all he was asking for was permission to use the rosters. Stay out of it.

I'm going to submit my opinion one time, and that's all I plan on posting on this issue....

llcmac and I have worked extremely hard on these rosters. Neither of us would be doing this if it weren't for the positive feedback we receive from others about what we're doing. But I actually enjoy wasting my life over the past 3 weeks trying to present to the MVPMods community a much more accurate roster than EA can give you.

We can scream at each other until we are blue in the face about stealing, sharing and giving proper credit--it won't do any good. My take on the matter is that you really should be considerate and give credit where credit is due. llcmac and I openly give thanks to all who have helped us, we should get the same respect. Also, if you're just going to take our rosters and make some tweaks, that's fine. But reuploading it and saying it's your work? Not cool. I'm not hoarding these rosters, and I could care less what people do with them after they download them, unless they want to try and say its theirs. Ultimately though, my life is not going to change or lose its meaning just because someone wants to be rude and plagerize.

Furthermore, to those saying "Hey, it's no big deal, get over it", that's cool. But I'd like to see what you'd say if you worked on a mod or a roster etc. for days and then saw it pop up somewhere with someone else's name on it and no mention of the work that you did.

I realize that what I am about to say will probably be unpopular. However, I am still going to say it.

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!

First of all, these are ROSTERS - not some national secret. What good does it do if you horde your roster and don't let others use them? I mean, you are getting the benefit out of using them. Why not let others use them as well. As far as getting credit for making them, don't you have other, more important things to be proud of in your life? Your post is unnecessarily threatening and comes off bitter and cantankerous.

Second, what would the "next step" be? I am just curious. The people claiming your rosters have not made any money off of them have they? If they are not selling your work then the best you could do would be to get a preliminary injunction against their use. That would cost you around $1,000 in attorney and court costs. Then you would have to locate and serve process on the culprits. Then, if you get through all of that, you would have to spend time in court (i.e., days of from work, school or time with your honey). Worst of all, even if you were able to recover a judgment against someone who stole your copyrighted work, you would never be able to collect due to insolvency. Over 90% of all defendants in America are totally judgment-proff.

In the end, aren't you getting credit off of all the work EA has done to code and release the game? If anyone has a claim here it would be EA. If you were to code, publish and distribute your own game, then you would have a leg to stand on. Those costs are legally recoverable because they can be documented. The lesiure time you spend modding a video game developed and released by someone else would never give you standing to sue someone who is doing the same thing as you.

My purpose in writing this is not to slam anyone or throw anyone under the bus. Also, I understand that you might be ticked by someone who is sad enough to pass off your work as their own. But, I just want to point out that this is just not that serious. I lurk in here and watch you all get so upset and riled up over this video game. I play games to relax. We should all take a step back and realize what we are doing and saying. Most of what goes on in here is laughable. The anonymity that comes with posting on the Internet brings this out in people. You would never go up to your boss or a hot chick and say "hey, I just finished my latest roster mod but someone is using some of my created players and claiming credit." We would all look like dorks.

Take a step back and breathe.

I will now sit back and witness the onslaught.

HP

Was thinking the same thing HP.

The only thing I said was that getting upset over a video game rosters, one in fact that is currently being shared by many users, was immature because it was. To make a threat like this "This is a warning, if in your next release these players are still the same, we will take the next step" to the rest of the board was in fact absurd. Like I said in a previous post, if you don't want people (to which you have no control because of the enormous amount of users) to download your file, simply say so, or don't post them, but don't threaten people or make warnings that are supposed to scare people, because like I said that IS immature and not an insult. And as for the "dismissed", ban me if you want, it only proves my point.

AceMan

I agree with Horsepower.

While it sucks having your worked ripped off, c'mon what can you honestly do? It's the internet. Once it's uploaded it's out there for everyone.

"Yes your honor, I'm suing him because he claimed the rosters I made were his." Sounds like a Judge Joe Brown case.

What I never understood is with all these people online that mod the rosters, you should all be working together to create the best set. Then you'd all get credit, and it would all be done by now. Divide it up. So and so takes the AL/AAA, NL/AAA and the others get the AL AA/A and NL AA/A.

Piracy runs rampant online. Message board threats are like throwing ice cubes at the sun, whats the point?

Yeah it sucks that your work is ripped off, but without a copyright you can't do much. You can atleast say your work was good enough to rip off, where the person only wanted to make a few minor changes.

I'll probably get flamed for this but I dont care. To me games are a hobby, not a lifestyle.

I wouldn't consider myself clueless.

As having produced two complete sets of Classic Rosters, including Minors, was an extremely timesaking task. Let's just say it took several months of many many hours per week. Unlike updating/enhancing the default roster that EA provides, building Classic Rosters requires a complete redo for each and every single player and every single attribute of each. So clueless would not be appropriate in my opinion. Thus, I would challenge you if you feel you spent more time, energy or wisdom on your rosters than I did on mine. And once again I will state that I placed my Rosters on this Public Forum and heavily encourage any and all to improve on them for my benefit and the benefit of others that might have interest.

You certainly have the right to your own opinion but to say that others that don't support that opinion are clueless doesn't show well.

If you feel your Roster leaves no room for improvement I would challenge you on that as well.

If you believe you have sole rights to your work after having posted them on a Public Forum then you should possibly have not posted them here and instead attempted to profit from your work. If you would decide to do that then I think you would have discovered a real foundation to discuss legal matters regarding such activity.

Again your hardwork deserves every once of credit it merits and I am sure it is greatly appreciated by many. For someone not to acknowledge your hardwork is not an appropriate thing to do by most of ours standards. I wholeheartedly support you in your frustration but also would like for you to hear that others hold other opinions on this subject and that does not make them clueless.

First, interesting reply from someone with an IQ of 10. I was just curious about this. I usually come here to find the new info about the game and then read posts regarding "taking action" and all of a sudden people are getting into pissing matches over protecting each other. No need to be insecure over this, for it is just a simple question. Second, I don't think you are in a position to answer the question b/c of the two who were named in the original post.

If they give credit to you, why do you care? I'm part of a few NBA Live patching sites, and this is never really a problem there. As long as no one is passing off your unchanged work off as theri own, just accept it that maybe they found a way to make your very good rosters even better.

If you're confiednt in the quality of your work, you wouldn't need the ego boost of trying to protect your work like it was your first born son. It's not like you're making money off roster making, so really the only thing you would lose is your pride.

I wouldn't consider myself clueless.

As having produced two complete sets of Classic Rosters, including Minors, was an extremely timesaking task. Let's just say it took several months of many many hours per week. Unlike updating/enhancing the default roster that EA provides, building Classic Rosters requires a complete redo for each and every single player and every single attribute of each. So clueless would not be appropriate in my opinion. Thus, I would challenge you if you feel you spent more time, energy or wisdom on your rosters than I did on mine. And once again I will state that I placed my Rosters on this Public Forum and heavily encourage any and all to improve on them for my benefit and the benefit of others that might have interest.

You certainly have the right to your own opinion but to say that others that don't support that opinion are clueless doesn't show well.

If you feel your Roster leaves no room for improvement I would challenge you on that as well.

If you believe you have sole rights to your work after having posted them on a Public Forum then you should possibly have not posted them here and instead attempted to profit from your work. If you would decide to do that then I think you would have discovered a real foundation to discuss legal matters regarding such activity.

Again your hardwork deserves every once of credit it merits and I am sure it is greatly appreciated by many. For someone not to acknowledge your hardwork is not an appropriate thing to do by most of ours standards. I wholeheartedly support you in your frustration but also would like for you to hear that others hold other opinions on this subject and that does not make them clueless.

Thank you stecropper! I appreciate your hardwork, and would never steal ANY rosters as I said, but what you said above is exactly the point.

You make no sense.

Where did I say I didn't want people DLing my rosters?

Where did i say I was upset about it?

I have done nothing immature, I simply would like it if people would not take something that I have worked hard on and pass it off as their own. I'm sorry is it morally right to do that or something?

As long as they give credit to you, why do you care? I'm part of a few NBA Live patching sites, and this is never really a problem there. As long as no one is passing off your unchanged work off as theri own, just accept it that maybe they found a way to make your very good rosters even better.

If you're confiednt in the quality of your work, you wouldn't need the ego boost of trying to protect your work like it was your first born son. It's not like you're making money off roster making, so really the only thing you would lose is your pride.

They never gave us credit.

"This is a warning, if in your next release these players are still the same, we will take the next step"

I can explain that. So maybe you will get off llcmac's back and take it out on me. What he meant by taking it to the next step is to inform the admins of the site that something like this was happening. I would have gone to the people in question and asked them about it and if it were true or not. I would have had to have their word that they didn't do it or if they did, I would ask them in a nice way to apologize with llcmac and straighten things out. That was the next step. You happy now?

"This is a warning, if in your next release these players are still the same, we will take the next step"

And your point is?

And oxbay, there really is no next step besides going to the admins. I was going to say "we will lay the smack down" but I thought it was too corny. Basically we just don't want people trying to pass our work off as their own without giving credit or asking us.

I can explain that. So maybe you will get off llcmac's back and take it out on me. What he meant by taking it to the next step is to inform the admins of the site that something like this was happening. I would have gone to the people in question and asked them about it and if it were true or not. I would have had to have their word that they didn't do it or if they did, I would ask them in a nice way to apologize with llcmac and straighten things out. That was the next step. You happy now?

so then you went out and banned snash? he tells me he didnt do it, that it probably was basballfanatik. so maybe you went a wee bit harsh on him.

edit: snash wants a chance to prove his innocents, he was banned within 10 mins of this all happening. i really think he should get a chance too, and if he is guilty well, he should be banned forever.

Before this thread gets too out of hand and gets locked, I just want to put in my opinion and something I have noticed in the thread...With the exception of stecropper, the posters who disagree with the post by llmac appear to be relative newbs to the site (I'm not saying that I'm not one so don't think I'm trying to portray myself as some mvpmods vet), and what that leads me to believe is that these are guys who don't have any intentions of contributing anything useful to this site but to talk sh*t and be smartasses...Maybe if they are contributing in the form of money or if they are giving positive feedback that would be one thing, but to float around in the ether, download mods, and then talk head just isn't right....Some will probably ask, "well, dipsh*t how do you contribute"?...Not that I need to justify myself, but I would contribute to the site, but I had to boycott PayPal because some dude stole almost $3,000 from my checking account through PayPal, but would be be willing to arrange other payment arrangements to donate, and I have never once posted a post to be a smartass, and I always give positive feedback....

I just wish others could do the same, and I know Trues, Y4L, and MarkB will filter out those who do pollute this great site...

Archived