I will only say this once.

llcmac

hah. so predictable.

however, as expected, the point of my earlier post was missed. the roster makers are PO'd about someone making a derivative work but not giving credit. the roster makers themselves are making derivative works.

I'll let you connect the dots.

1. The whole EA thing is a non-issue, they made the game, do they need more credit?

2. It's a rule on the SITE to not steal other peoples work.

3. It's an unwritten rule in the Modders community.

connect the dots.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hah. so predictable.

however, as expected, the point of my earlier post was missed. the roster makers are PO'd about someone making a derivative work but not giving credit. the roster makers themselves are making derivative works.

I'll let you connect the dots.

What a lot of you guys don't get is that modding TAKES TIME AND EFFORT and WE, the modders, DESERVE at least A LITTLE BIT OF RESPECT from you guys... so, I ask once again... is it so difficult to just give credit whenever the work of a modder is used as the base of another mod?

And please, save your 'well, are you crediting EA in your mods?' boloney for somebody else... EA wouldn't be here if ANY OF US decided not to buy their games... so the $25-50 I pay for their games is my way to credit them.

Did you get permission from EA to mod the game? Doubt you did...

I think if EA were smart (which I'm sure they are, you dont get to be that big by being dumb) they would encourage modders. They might not publicly encourage it, but privately I'm sure that they do. Just look at the success of other games that are modded to death. They know what we are doing out here. They know that modding adds to the 'lore' of their game.

Quite simply, as H just put it, how hard is it to credit someone when you use their work? Common courtesy.

Now if I could just crack that .big audio code... :x

Lets just sum this all up... I really appreciate the work of the guys who mod because it makes it easier and less time consuming for me to manipulate a roster when someone has done most of the work. So coodoos to those that have provided these rosters... all credit due. I understand that you were upset llmac but once you place any statement that even remotely sounds like a threat, you'll get such a rush of responses it makes your head spin and eventually you end up argueing about things completely off-point. So here are the morals of this post.

1. DON'T resubmit roster mods without giving proper credit to those that started the process.

2. DON't offer any threats in response to your frustration over such thievery.

3. STOP wasting time argueing because you could be using it to make an ever cooler mod for someone like me who appreciates it, a happy man

4. LAST but not least "PLAY BALL"

PirateFan13

imo - id say..

it dosent take alot of effort to just pop a line of text into your readme file - just to say thanks to / or based on etc

other than that - a few posters are blowing the whole topic out of proportion :wink:

This from a site Admin? Man, I wish I could get away with candor this bold at work! :oops: .......Trues???

That is the same thought I had - not the way I would think a site admin would approach the matter - but since I don't know the "history" of the matter it may have been necessary - just came across a little "harsh"

1) simple. if you use someone else's stuff or modify. first: ask the original author for their permission second: give them a little credit somewhere in the read me. if it wasn't for bigbully's and kc's cleats and batting gloves, none of my minor league uni updates would be worth a damn IMO. but i have asked, they are gracious enough to let me use them and i give them the credit. i also give credit to umachines for teaching us about the whole 2xlite thing.

2) not so simple. no matter what or where, some people will always steal. it's unfortunate, and ugly but it's the reality of the world. when you offer to a community (?) it is a sure bet that something at some time will plagiarized. that doesn't mean you have to eat it or accept it, it just means that it will happen eventually.

3) observation. there seems to be WAY too much bickering on this site since i came back after the winter. this goes towards MEMBERS and MODERATORS- there is a total lack of respect for everyone here now. i RARELY saw this last season. sometimes it feels like i've logged into a site for a bunch of old ladies.

there's too many trolls here that are concerned w/ nothing more than their post talley. and start up topics for the hell of it. and too many moderators that fly off the handle too quickly. this used to be a great community where we all came together to learn and share. me and trues had shared thoughts on this last year, and both agreed that it would be a shame to see this site go the way of other sites with all the infighting etc. unfortunately, the site has gotten amazingly huge, and obviously he is very busy and it IS becoming exactly what we NEVER wanted it to be. i wouldn't be surprised or shocked if this whole site is becoming one big thorn in trues' side, and frankly wouldn't blame him if he just threw in the towel. i wouldn't like it, but i think if things contiunue, it will eventually happen.

off the soapbox...

I am an avid dl of mods on this site. I came across it just before MVP Baseball 2005 came out, and I love it here. If it was not for the hard work of the modders, then MVP Baseball would get boring really quick. It amazes me to see a bunch of members here complaining about IICMac's complaint. Upon closer inspection you can see that most of the members are well under 100 posts, which leads me to believe that they are just around here to leech off other peoples work! If you are not going to contribute decent posts, and good conversation, don't touch the downloads! I am sure the people complaing have leeched the H@ll out of the mods, and have the b@lls to complain about something that really does not concern them.

If your downloading them, respect the modders, they put the excitement in the game for me, and I back them 100%! Keep the good work up IICMac...don't let the ignorance of a few deter you! You have the support of the majority on this site, I'm sure!

i would disagree with you djeageles on that. there are alot of ppl under/around 100 posts that contribute greatly to this site.and some people dont come here for the forums they come for the mods. i dont believe that anyone who is here but doesnt talk on the forums is just here to leech off other ppl's work.

If I am wrong, then I apologize. I mean no disrespect to anyone on this site. I am just throwing my support behind the modders who make the game much more enjoyable for me, then just using the "original" version. I am sure there are many people who don't post on this site, that are just here to enjoy the downloads! My point that I was trying to make, that it appears to be newer members, who have not posted much, are the ones who are trying to egg on IICMac. Fact is someone stole his work, and that should not happen. I meant no disrespect to anyone on this site, and hope that things just blow over and everyone moves on and has a good time. By leeching, I meant that they are here to dl mods, and not contribute to the forum at all, unless they have a gripe. I didn't mean that they were here to steal people's work, incase you misunderstood me. Either way, I probably should keep my mouth shut and not get involved. Keep up the good work guys, hope the mods keep on coming!

You sit here an talk **** about people posting w/ under 100 posts and you have 105. Sorry GOD, didn't mean to step on the toes of someone with your importance. I better hurry up and get to 100 posts so I can have respect.

You sit here an talk [naughty word] about people posting w/ under 100 posts and you have 105. Sorry GOD, didn't mean to step on the toes of someone with your importance. I better hurry up and get to 100 posts so I can have respect.

Like I said I meant no disrespect to you or anyone one else. I am NEW here, and my point was it seemed like newer members were the ones complaining, not the guys who seem to have been around here for ages. I did not mean to offend you or anyone else. If you take it the wrong way, I apologize, but I am not gonna sit here and have a pi$$ing contest with you. I was just pointing out the fact that people are complaining over something that really has nothing to do with them.

post counts are a touchy topic. some people rarely post, but when they do they offer good advice and make good comments. others just come and dload the mods. others still just upload mods and rarely post at all. some of us go out of our way to help out other folks, which is what i've done all day today. what i was referring to is i notice some people are just here to post anything, start triple threads or, jump on a bandwagon and jump down other peoples throats, to perpetuate an argument. these people have almost as many posts in 2 months that i have had in almost 12. these are the people which if you will notice are almost always in the middle of the argument threads, these are the people who jump on someone, when they should just let it roll off their backs and let it to mods to handle DIPLOMATICALLY. i guess their trying to score brown nose points or soemthing? this is what i was referring to, unfortunately i guess it happens at every forum, but it also eventually runs the forum into the ground.

Why is this such an issue? Just imagine that you worked 3 weeks on something and then someone stole it and clamied it for thier own. I mean sure, if someone tweaked it and gave proper credit it wouldn't be a problem but plagerism, in real life, or in a baseball gaming community is no good.

Every year this sort of thing seems to happen in one game or another. It just seems to me that some people just dont have any respect for the community as a whole and feel the need to rip it off. I guess the best thing to do is to let the community know that someone doesnt really care about anyone and is ripping off others work. Letting everyone know that that persons work needs to be avoided. Since it isnt their's anyways.

Wow... just wow...

I can understand the feelings presented here on both sides. There IS a moral obligation to give credit where it is due. It won't always happen, but it's true. You have to accept that possibly can happen, though. If not, don't publicly release anything.

To make a post that's a basic "warning" to the community isn't needed. I read more than I post, but damn, this doesn't make the community look too welcoming, does it? It also doesn't help that a SITE ADMIN is telling others to "shut the hell up and move on." As a site admin, I'm shocked they'd even have the nerve to do something like that. Shame on you. YOU represent this site. Treating community members in such a manner is simply not in good taste.

Either way, you make a big stink about it, have it removed from whatever area it's at, and move on. The community usually knows what exactly the situation is, and will call a spade a spade. If you see others are taking credit for your work, do the previous steps and be done with it. That's all you can really do....

Sad but true.

llmac, how old are you...? I really don't think you can be over the age of 18.... :?

Wow... just wow...

I can understand the feelings presented here on both sides. There IS a moral obligation to give credit where it is due. It won't always happen, but it's true. You have to accept that possibly can happen, though. If not, don't publicly release anything.

To make a post that's a basic "warning" to the community isn't needed. I read more than I post, but damn, this doesn't make the community look too welcoming, does it? It also doesn't help that a SITE ADMIN is telling others to "shut the hell up and move on." As a site admin, I'm shocked they'd even have the nerve to do something like that. Shame on you. YOU represent this site. Treating community members in such a manner is simply not in good taste.

Either way, you make a big stink about it, have it removed from whatever area it's at, and move on. The community usually knows what exactly the situation is, and will call a spade a spade. If you see others are taking credit for your work, do the previous steps and be done with it. That's all you can really do....

Sad but true.

llmac, how old are you...? I really don't think you can be over the age of 18.... :?

Why is everyone asking like I had an all out flame war with someone? I simply asked for people not to use my roster without giving credit where it is due or atleast asking me first. If that is so wrong and immature then so be it. I didn't know I was supposed to sit here and let people do this.

Plus, this issue is over, what the hell is the reason for bringing it up again?

You posted this two days ago, and now it's over? YOU made the post. Well, you got what you wanted: a discussion.

And everyone is acting like you did in your initial post, when you posted a threat. Please don't make it seem like you're the victim all of a sudden, when you made the initial "threat" here.

You don't have to sit there and let people rip your work, but I gave you examples of what you can do, and if you knew this already, why even make a post, other than to "WARN THE COMMUNITY?"

Makes no sense.

Yes, it's over now, you are the only one still discussing this. The rosters have been fixed, and now people understand that I would rather not have people using my work and passing it off as their own without asking me first or giving my team credit.

Please don't make it seem like you're the victim all of a sudden

I'm not.

You don't have to sit there and let people rip your work, but I gave you examples of what you can do, and if you knew this already, why even make a post, other than to "WARN THE COMMUNITY?"

I didn't want their work deleted.

Makes no sense.

Maybe not to you, but it made sense to others, especially modders (not all modders).

Archived