Ultimate roster corrections and updates.

basballfanatik9

Pirates:

Damon Minor, Cesar Crespo, Howie Clark and Kirt Bullinger are not listed anymore on any of the pirate minor league rosters. i have yet to find out if they have been released or not signed because they were minor league invites.

Alot of people dont realize this but spring training is still going on alot of guys are in extended spring training or unassigned. That just means they are still with the organization but have not been assigned to a team. I would assume all 4 will see some time with the pirates this year so they should probably keep them around.

Take a look at my work here or on the main thread for the rosters. All it takes to figure out what you and I obviously have found out is the knowledge to read (scouting reports) and watch games. Knowing how to type better than one finger at a time is a plus, too. I do "one at a time" in between games, beers, and poker games (oh yeah, work).

Again, I’m giving it the “throw it on the wall†method. We’ll see if TribeTime and other Iroquois fans can find a dent in it with their scouting reports.

MLB- Cleveland

R. Betancourt-

Again will need help w/ deliveries. If anyone has seen him throw, his delivery is weird in that it is STRAIGHT over the top. I don’t know if that’s generic3.

“Slider has more of a slurvy action than a pure-sliderâ€

T: Make the curve a SLURVE and knock the changeup way down, definitely his worst pitch.

J. Davis-

Where’s his splitter? “…he has an 83 mph split-finger, which he uses more like a forkball, as a change-of-speed pitch…â€

T: Get rid of that changeup and give him his splitter, a good one at that.

Elarton-

No mention of that garbage cutter. Get it out of here. But make the fastball have some sink.

“…uses a fastball that ranges from 87-91 mph and sinks. Also throws a curveball, slider and changeup.â€

Howry-

I see no mention of an 85 controlled changeup. In fact no mention of a changeup at all. He does throw the “occasional splitterâ€, but that should be low rated.

T: No changeup, splitter instead rated in high 60s. Three pitches: Fastball, slider, splitter.

C. Lee

Anyone who even reads my scouting reports, here’s something to chew on. I will watch this guy and my boy N. Lowry as they progress. Harold Reynolds thinks this guy is ready for a breakout season. He throws about as hard as Noah, but he has a wider array of stuff than Lowry at this point. Street & Smith’s “Breakthrough Year Candidates†List reads:

1. Takatsu 2. D. Cabrera 3. Wright 4. Sledge 5. F. Rodriguez 6. A. Miles 7. Lowry

We’ll see.

His stuff is fairly well represented in the game. However, his fastball should be 90 mph and should add a cutter to his arsenal, probably in the mid/high 70s rating.

M. Miller

I know this guy has already been mentioned in the thread. Here’s more scouting.

“…throws from a low arm angle that borders on submarine…he has TWO pitches: a fastball that ranges from 83-87 mph and a slider… deception is his key…fastball is not overpowering, though it does have sinking action…â€

T: get rid of the changeup and curveball, put some sink on the fastball and swap the trajectory on the slider (2-8 to 10-4), give him a VERY sidearm delivery

Westbrook-

No mention of a two-seamer in scouting reports. Instead his 2nd fastball should be a cutter instead. I would leave the ratings about the same. A stud in the making.

Rhodes

NO WAY, NO WAY, NO WAY. These ratings are about 3-4 years old.

“…velocity on fastball has dropped in 90-93 range…also has a slider and a cut fastball…never has developed a good feel for pitching…sharp slider flattens out when overthrown…a one speed guy who is dominant to one side of plate…decent change and curve…â€

T: Any rating of a pitch over 85 (overall) is a crime.

Fastball mid/low 80s 2. Slider 80-ish 3. Cut high 70s 4. Curve 70-ish 5. Changeup- 70-ish

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GAME.

D. Riske-

Slider: overall rating of 59? :lol: He’s ranked just below S. Kline in relievers yet has the stuff of a journeyman? OK, here we go.

“…fastball ranges from 89-92 mph and his slider from 81-84 mph. Also has a split-fingered change (?)… some ride on his 4-seamer…has been inconsistent w/ a big breaking slider…uses his change as an out pitch…â€

T: 1. Splitter (80 mph) mid 80s rating 2. Fastball low 80s w/ some tail mov’t 3. Slider about high 70s rating (lots of mov’t/ little control)

Sabathia:

Looks good except Curve needs more movement than 5. More like 8 or 9.

Plus I know he’s a fatty and his range sucks, but he made no errors last year. His fielding should be about 12/15. He’s a good “fat†athlete.

Wickman-

His stuff is way too good. This guy is a 4.50 ERA closer.

T: Get rid of that 2-seam. A straight fastball and his sinker are plenty. Knock down his 4 seam fastball to 80-ish, so sinker and slider are his pitches of choice.

Read This: “Wickman has two main pitches: a sinking fastball at 91-92mph and a slider at 83-86.â€

"T;"= Translation of scouting repors

Where do I get them? See main roster thread . I'm not posting them again.

Unless I say mph, all numbers like "low 70s" means OVERALL IN-GAME RATING.

Betancourt's change is definatly his worst pitch but he has steadily improved it and is the main thing he is working as the staff begins to stretch him because they want him available in case a starter goes down, which in my opinion is completly ignorant because that is one place where he is not needed.

Davis actually does have a change and also has been doing steady work with it because the organization beleives a non breaking off speed pitch is a large piece of the puzzle for him to becoming a possibly dominant starter.

Cliff lee has easily the second best stuff on the team his only problem is his command, if he gets behind in the count he will struggle, but if he stays ahead in the count he is scary.

Westbrook a stud in the making? I find that laughable, last year was likely the best year he will ever have, he has good stuff but last year was a huge fluke. I like the guy but thinking he beocmes much more is truly optimistic. But hopefully he defies my expectations of him, and not prove to everyone why he lost out to jeff d'amico for a rotation spot last spring.

Sabathia is a great fat athlete but yea his range sucks but he is a good hitting pitcher.

But yea you are pretty good at this man keep up the excellent work.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Alot of people dont realize this but spring training is still going on alot of guys are in extended spring training or unassigned. That just means they are still with the organization but have not been assigned to a team. I would assume all 4 will see some time with the pirates this year so they should probably keep them around."

I didn't realize that these players stayed around in limbo for extended spring training until mid june. i assume that certain players will be assigned from now till then.

Also, here are all the opening day rosters ML to low A ball from Baseball America. http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/2005odr/index.html

For anyone who cares...all you have to do is go to Google, type a search in for "mlb scouting reports"...and you get links to espn and fox sports for all the scouting reports. They help marginally with ratings...but help incredibly with pitch types and effectiveness. If you dont like the way roster makers are doing their rosters....in most cases you can change the ratings yourself (as long as you use them only for yourself and dont publish them and act like they are your rosters) and then actually have fun and get off of the roster makers' cases :)

Mike

I think that is what the trajectories are for, so that k-rods slider looks more like a curve, like in real life. So I would say, keep his slider and change the trajectory to that of a slurve.

Take a look at my work here or on the main thread for the rosters. All it takes to figure out what you and I obviously have found out is the knowledge to read (scouting reports) and watch games. Knowing how to type better than one finger at a time is a plus, too. I do "one at a time" in between games, beers, and poker games (oh yeah, work).

Again, I’m giving it the “throw it on the wall†method. We’ll see if TribeTime and other Iroquois fans can find a dent in it with their scouting reports.

MLB- Cleveland

R. Betancourt-

Again will need help w/ deliveries. If anyone has seen him throw, his delivery is weird in that it is STRAIGHT over the top. I don’t know if that’s generic3.

T: Make the curve a SLURVE and knock the changeup way down, definitely his worst pitch.

J. Davis-

Where’s his splitter? “…he has an 83 mph split-finger, which he uses more like a forkball, as a change-of-speed pitch…â€

T: Get rid of that changeup and give him his splitter, a good one at that.

Elarton-

No mention of that garbage cutter. Get it out of here. But make the fastball have some sink.

“…uses a fastball that ranges from 87-91 mph and sinks. Also throws a curveball, slider and changeup.â€

Howry-

I see no mention of an 85 controlled changeup. In fact no mention of a changeup at all. He does throw the “occasional splitterâ€, but that should be low rated.

T: No changeup, splitter instead rated in high 60s. Three pitches: Fastball, slider, splitter.

C. Lee

Anyone who even reads my scouting reports, here’s something to chew on. I will watch this guy and my boy N. Lowry as they progress. Harold Reynolds thinks this guy is ready for a breakout season. He throws about as hard as Noah, but he has a wider array of stuff than Lowry at this point. Street & Smith’s “Breakthrough Year Candidates†List reads:

1. Takatsu 2. D. Cabrera 3. Wright 4. Sledge 5. F. Rodriguez 6. A. Miles 7. Lowry

We’ll see.

His stuff is fairly well represented in the game. However, his fastball should be 90 mph and should add a cutter to his arsenal, probably in the mid/high 70s rating.

M. Miller

I know this guy has already been mentioned in the thread. Here’s more scouting.

“…throws from a low arm angle that borders on submarine…he has TWO pitches: a fastball that ranges from 83-87 mph and a slider… deception is his key…fastball is not overpowering, though it does have sinking action…â€

T: get rid of the changeup and curveball, put some sink on the fastball and swap the trajectory on the slider (2-8 to 10-4), give him a VERY sidearm delivery

Westbrook-

No mention of a two-seamer in scouting reports. Instead his 2nd fastball should be a cutter instead. I would leave the ratings about the same. A stud in the making.

Rhodes

NO WAY, NO WAY, NO WAY. These ratings are about 3-4 years old.

“…velocity on fastball has dropped in 90-93 range…also has a slider and a cut fastball…never has developed a good feel for pitching…sharp slider flattens out when overthrown…a one speed guy who is dominant to one side of plate…decent change and curve…â€

T: Any rating of a pitch over 85 (overall) is a crime.

Fastball mid/low 80s 2. Slider 80-ish 3. Cut high 70s 4. Curve 70-ish 5. Changeup- 70-ish

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GAME.

D. Riske-

Slider: overall rating of 59? :lol: He’s ranked just below S. Kline in relievers yet has the stuff of a journeyman? OK, here we go.

“…fastball ranges from 89-92 mph and his slider from 81-84 mph. Also has a split-fingered change (?)… some ride on his 4-seamer…has been inconsistent w/ a big breaking slider…uses his change as an out pitch…â€

T: 1. Splitter (80 mph) mid 80s rating 2. Fastball low 80s w/ some tail mov’t 3. Slider about high 70s rating (lots of mov’t/ little control)

Sabathia:

Looks good except Curve needs more movement than 5. More like 8 or 9.

Plus I know he’s a fatty and his range sucks, but he made no errors last year. His fielding should be about 12/15. He’s a good “fat†athlete.

Wickman-

His stuff is way too good. This guy is a 4.50 ERA closer.

T: Get rid of that 2-seam. A straight fastball and his sinker are plenty. Knock down his 4 seam fastball to 80-ish, so sinker and slider are his pitches of choice.

Read This: “Wickman has two main pitches: a sinking fastball at 91-92mph and a slider at 83-86.â€

"T;"= Translation of scouting repors

Where do I get them? See main roster thread . I'm not posting them again.

Unless I say mph, all numbers like "low 70s" means OVERALL IN-GAME RATING.

Good job I can look at some of this stuff during games, also I will get all of the Equipent and Stances right for you guys from the game

For anyone who cares...all you have to do is go to Google, type a search in for "mlb scouting reports"...and you get links to espn and fox sports for all the scouting reports. They help marginally with ratings...but help incredibly with pitch types and effectiveness. If you dont like the way roster makers are doing their rosters....in most cases you can change the ratings yourself (as long as you use them only for yourself and dont publish them and act like they are your rosters) and then actually have fun and get off of the roster makers' cases :)

Mike

I've yet to find a great one online. Hell, I haven't even found the end all in print. One scout interpretation is different from another. That's why I mix them altogether and come to a consensus. This magazine is my favorite:

http://www.sportingnews.com/books/baseball/05scguide.html

It has an index at the end so players are easy to find, each position is ranked, and full repertoires are given. This is not that STATS cr@p that is so often associated w/ Sporting News (and ESPN's web site). On the Cover:

"ALL PLAYERS evaluated, ranked and graded by big-league scouts"

One example: STATS scouting makes no mention of Rich Harden's splitter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=7180

Yet, if you're sitting behind homeplate at the Coliseum next to the guy with a miliion pins in his ballcap and try to tell him he doesn't throw a "wicked" splitter, he'll look at you like a moron.

From the magazine I mentioned.

"Spliiter has late bite"

Mike,

What you call “getting on the roster maker’s cases†others call making the rosters better. The reason I got involved with this project was the roster makers, particularly HypnoxXx, left their egos at the door and welcomed all substantive suggestions. I want to say so much more about your comment, but I’ll leave it at that. (It’s EA’s pitch selections we’re fixing, anyways)

Abacus & TribeTime,

Thank you for going through the Indians stuff and your comments. The only thing I saw that maybe should be changed back was Jason Davis should have a change but it should be his worst pitch (because it’s relatively new). Sorry about Westbrook, I just thought he was good the few times I’ve seen him pitch against the A’s. I'm still working on the Cleveland minors.

I think that is what the trajectories are for, so that k-rods slider looks more like a curve, like in real life. So I would say, keep his slider and change the trajectory to that of a slurve.

Smart88,

Thank you for your comment but I respectfully disagree on your assessment of a slurve. A slider can have many trajectories, a flat one like B.J. Ryan and A. Rhodes (see scouting report above) or a downward breaking one like your Franky or Lidge. A slurve has different “breaking†characteristics, a “rounder break†as opposed to a “sharp breakâ€. Trajectories are best described by adjectives like flat, downward, etc.

I went back to the source of that report on Betancourt and left out the last word. Here it is in full.

â€Slider has more of a slurvy action than a pure slider breakâ€(S.N. Ultimate Scouting Guide, p. 119)

Franky’s slider in the same magazine is described as “almost impossible to hit; it has a very big, sharp breakâ€. I hope you can see my point. The emphasis is on the “break†and not the trajectory.

On page 8 of this great magazine (I highly recommend it for “scout†geeks like myself), under Scout Speak it has this exact paragraph:

“Slurve: A pitch that is a cross between a curve and a slider. One difference: A slurve lacks the late bite of a pure slider. A slurve has a long break; a slider has a short, tight break. The rotation of the ball on a slurve is not as tight as the rotation on a good curveballâ€

“Tilt: The trajectory of a pitch, used mostly when talking about sliders. Tilt and depth essentially describe the same downward movement of a pitchâ€

I’m not going “Ha ha, I’m rightâ€. I’m not like that. Just trying to get on same “scout talkâ€, that’s all.

BaseballAmerica.com release Opening Day rosters for all levels. It shows you who on the majors, AAA,AA,A as of April 8, 2005. Looks like they will update it regularly.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/2005odr/index.html

for best daily transactions that happens in Baseball. Its update daily.

http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/conte...s.asp?sport=MLB

umm, bbythepier....I seriously hope you dont think I am directing my comments at you. I have noticed it is very rough to tell with your typing/thoughts...as both times you have posted in response to me, I have to re-read the message numerous times to figure out if you are agreeing with me or against me. Regardless, my post was not directed towards you because YOU are making good suggestions. My comment about getting on the roster makers cases was made because its a consistent problem where people feel that certain players should be this and certain players should be that. And suggestions aside...not everyone is going to be happy all the time. Which is why i said if you dont like whats going on....change the roster for yourself to suit yourself. If people would just do that, there wouldnt be the need for posts where people insist an entire lineup needs to be changed just because they are a fan of said lineup.

Mike

Bernie Castro is a switch - hitter

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/bernie_castro.shtml

Rene Reyes is a switch - hitter, and I think he's a free agent, not sure though.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player....layer_id=407813

and bbythepier,

I wouldn't have taken it that way anyway.

EDIT:Andy Van Hekken throws left:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...ilb&cid=431

Guys,

Apologies for the posts made by Derek_Jeter_2. I doubt it'll be happening again any time soon. :)

bbythepier, thanks a lot for your "kind" comments. There is a reason why I released the rosters as .met - you can make whatever changes you want to the roster, so it's hard to believe anyone could complain about them being too good and if you look at it logically, there is a reason for it.

Typical. Can't please everyone. :? :(

Good luck with your rosters, baseballfanatik.

alright here are the Opening day lineups for the Stingers and Sidewinders:

Stingers:

cf Chris Prieto

ss Dave Mantranga

3b Dallas McPherson

1b Casey Kotchman

c Jeff Mathis

rf Nick Gorneault

lf Curtis Pride

dh Luke Allen

2b Andy Fox

SP Chris Bootcheck

Sidewinders:

2b Andy Green

cf Josh Kroeger

rf Carlos Quentin

dh Alan Zinter

1b Conor Jackson

lf Doug Devoure

ss Sergio Santos

3b Brian Barden

c Juan Brito

SP Lance Cormier

I missed who will be starting tomorrow for the Sidewinders but Steve Green should be the #2 starter on Salt Lake.

Steve Green is no longer with Anaheim. He was upset that he wasn't allowed to play for Canada in the Olympics last year, that after the season he asked for his release and got it. Cleveland picked him up, and they are converting him to a closer (ala Gagne). He's with the AA Akron Aeros.

The AAA rotation looks like this:

Chris Bootcheck

Scott Dunn

Corey Lee

Dustin Moseley

Clayton Andrews or Mike Brunet

O's Update:

Bruce Chen - Stamina should be around 80, not at 92. Control for his pitches should start with the fastball around 75, and go down from there. Also, Fastball Velocity should be 87-88, Change-up should be 73-75, Curve should be 78-79, slider should be 80-81.

Miguel Tejada - I re-changd his stance to Everett. Gets the hands and the semi-closed stance much better.

Geronimo Gil - should have a bigger build. He is a chub-chub. :wink:

Steve Green is no longer with Anaheim. He was upset that he wasn't allowed to play for Canada in the Olympics last year, that after the season he asked for his release and got it. Cleveland picked him up, and they are converting him to a closer (ala Gagne). He's with the AA Akron Aeros.

The AAA rotation looks like this:

Chris Bootcheck

Scott Dunn

Corey Lee

Dustin Moseley

Clayton Andrews or Mike Brunet

Yeah, I realized that it was Dunn when I looked at the roster.

I think Brian Specht should have a stronger arm, I remember seeing in a scouting report that he had a plus arm.

The Blue Jays have activated P Ted Lilly from the 15 day DL. LF Gabe Gross has been sent down to AAA as a result. Also, RP Brandon League is in the majors. I believe in the v1 rosters, he's in AAA.

dont worry about daily transactions.

i posted a web link above for the best daily transaction web site. that updates it daily.

the roster makers will look there. because not everything is getting posted for transactions. so its best and easier for them to just go there to get all the updates.

thanks

dont worry about daily transactions.

i posted a web link above for the best daily transaction web site. that updates it daily.

the roster makers will look there. because not everything is getting posted for transactions. so its best and easier for them to just go there to get all the updates.

thanks

Every site misses transactions, is rotoworld my favorite? yes it is but it just like all other sites misses transaction. So I say if you see something that hasnt already been posted then go ahead and post it on one of the 2 threads, I prefer the original thread but thats just me, a link to a site that updates transactions daily works but it is so much better to have the transaction posted here for hypp and guys to see so that a) they dont have search throughout multiple sites to see if a transaction is missed. and B) the posters on the forums have the transaction to dissect and discuss. So just post it.

Every site misses transactions, is rotoworld my favorite? yes it is but it just like all other sites misses transaction. So I say if you see something that hasnt already been posted then go ahead and post it on one of the 2 threads, I prefer the original thread but thats just me, a link to a site that updates transactions daily works but it is so much better to have the transaction posted here for hypp and guys to see so that a) they dont have search throughout multiple sites to see if a transaction is missed. and B) the posters on the forums have the transaction to dissect and discuss. So just post it.

that the problem, not all transactions are being repoted in the forum. so i just dont want the roster maker missing it. so its best for the roster maker to check that web page for transactions, so they get it all.

it so much more work for them if only partial transactiosn are getting posted here only.

do all the transactions here or dont do it at all. and have the roster maker check that web site. it just easier for them to check one place on that web page.

doing only partial transactions and post it here, is just double work because they have to check here and at that web site.

Abacus & TribeTime,

Thank you for going through the Indians stuff and your comments. The only thing I saw that maybe should be changed back was Jason Davis should have a change but it should be his worst pitch (because it’s relatively new). Sorry about Westbrook, I just thought he was good the few times I’ve seen him pitch against the A’s. I'm still working on the Cleveland minors.

bbythepier, A few notes from this weekends tigers tribe series. Wickman was hitting 95 with his fastball friday night and also today he was throwing what looked to be a sinking chanup around 82. I always thought he just had a sinking fastball but it now appears they are indeed 2 different pitches. Today Davis was throwing his fastball, splitter, new change up and another new pitch a cutter, the cutter wasnt looking to bad and he matched his career high in strikeouts with it.

Archived