Finally found the right datafile/slider mix

rustedrobot

Well, I'm a guy who last year played each and every game for two whole seasons and all I look for is realistic play. I tweak sliders, cameras, whatever. I tweak constantly until I either find it on my own or utilize some of the great work done here by people like Trues, KSM, etc. Last season it took me nearly 50 games into a season to find the right datafile and gameplay sliders, and now, roughly 50 games into my season again, I've finally hit paydirt.

First off, download Jim825's latest datafile. Great work, Jim. It would be great to have some of those amazing KSM cameras, but screw it - I'll take realistic baseball any day over cameras.

Next, I grabbed some slider settings from somebody calling themself The Big Unit. I can't seem to find the original post, but I'm sure if you do some searching, you can dig it up. Even though the Unit's sliders are for the Pro setting (I always played All-Star, but just wasn't getting realistic baseball with this version on All-Star), they work and they work near perfectly.

A big thanks to everyone, not just Trues, KSM, etc, but everyone, who works on mods, recommends sliders, etc. This game would probably suck if it weren't for them. Luckily, I'll never know.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you're enjoying the datafile. It was Trues, Pared, Spitoon and abhall who did all the real work to find the datafile tweaks. I simply packaged them together so that they are all in a single datafile.

Next, I grabbed some slider settings from somebody calling themself The Big Unit. I can't seem to find the original post, but I'm sure if you do some searching, you can dig it up. Even though the Unit's sliders are for the Pro setting (I always played All-Star, but just wasn't getting realistic baseball with this version on All-Star), they work and they work near perfectly.

The "someone who calls himself The Big Unit" would be me. :)

Hey thanks for the kind words. I'm really happy that you like my sliders. I spent alot of hours testing them. Hadn't heard anyone mention them before this so I was wondering if anyone liked them. Glad you do! I too was looking for realism when creating these sliders and they do seem the perfect for my style of play as it says in the readme.

They aren't in the slider thread. I uploaded them to the Miscellaneous section of the Downloads for '05.

http://www.mvpmods.com/modules.php?name=Do...amp;lid=1621#dl

That would be up to you. I don't play with fielding set to automatic. I use manual. Try it the way you suggested and see if you're liking the results. If not, switch them back or go to Manual fielding because these sliders were tested using the manual fielding setting. Sorry I can't help more but I can't honestly say I've ever played one game on "automatic" so I don't know what effect my slider ratings regarding fielding would have for someone playing your way. Sorry. Good luck with the sliders though. Hope you enjoy them.

I'm sure I will enjoy them and thanks for your help. I must admit, I'm 52 years old and my relexes are a little to slow to actually field on my own. The ravages of time I guess. I just think that it makes sense to set them both the same as a starting point.

I guess I should have posted some of my gameplay settings:

- hot/cold zones on

- no pitch cursor

- manual fielding (always!)

- fielding cursor (little yellow circle) on

i think that's all.....Jim - you might not have made the actual changes, but 99% of us have no idea how to screw around with datafiles......so your work is truly appreciated.

jeff

Since the CPU controls the fielders for Automatic and Assisted Fielding (which is what I use), I believe that only the CPU fielder speed sliders (infielder and outfielder) are relevant and they will be applied to both your fielders and the CPU's fielders. The User and MVP fielder settings only apply if you ar using MVP or Manual settings.

This means that those of us who use automatic or assisted fielding have no way to make our fielders faster or slower than the CPU fielders. :cry:

Would i get the same realistic results using the datafile + BU sliders if i play on All-Star?

I can't honestly say for sure as I only play on Pro level. I could say yes or no, but to be honest, I'd be guessing and I don't want to lead you astray on this.

Like Fanofwho, my reflexes aren't what they used to be (and I'm only 39) so that's why I don't play All-Star. I can barely tell a ball from a strike the way it is so I swing at everything it seems like. :)

Through all my tweaking, I've found that playing on the All-Star level with MVP 2005 is absolutely excellent with one glaring, horrific exception - I couldn't hit for power to save my life, even if I set the power slider to 50.

I'm a patient hitter and have never had this problem with this game on the All-Star level. I played on All-Star all last season (using Trues sliders and datafile) and never had that problem. I also don't "over-power" my hitting sliders. I'm not in this game to bash home runs and score tons of runs. I want realism. If I'm using the Texas Rangers, I want Blalock to hit 25-30 HR's.

The only way I seem to get realistic power and realistic "everything" is by using the Big Unit's sliders provided on the pro level with Jim825's datafile.

Since finding this combination, nearly all of my games have been close (most of them 1-2 run games), realistic and a joy.

I play on Pro level with assisted fielding and this combination of the Big Unit's sliders and Jim825's modified data file is great. I have played 5 games with this setup and I have seen something different every game. The cpu tries to steal third base, throwing errors, infield hits, I hit my first triple. The cpu hit me and has thrown a wild pitch. The game plays so much better. Highly recommend these 2 downloads.

Im 3 and 2 using this setup and the scores have been close.

I am going to try these as well. I have been playing on AS and have made my own slider adjustments, but pitching has been too simple. I play as TEX and my team ERA for an entire season is 1.85 and Ryan Drese is on pace for 25 wins and a 1.25 ERA. I am apprehensive about playing on Pro, but maybe with Jim825's datafile combo it will be a good challenge. I switched to AS since I was winning every game on Pro by about 10 or 15 runs and I was hitting on average 5-6 HR's per game (team average) and my pitchers were striking out 7-10 per game (even Chan Ho!). I will give it a try.

fanofwho - i like Assisted fielding because the CPU fields the ball, but I still have control of where to throw it or which base to run to (e.g. if the 1st baseman fields the ball).

mrtuck73 - I think you'll find that Spitoon's pitch meter changes make pitching more challenging and definitely lead to more walks if you lower the pitch meter difficulty. You'll actually find that with the meter difficulty slider set to 0 there is only a sliver of green on the meter, making it harder to pitch. If you find it too difficult, you can always increase the pitch meter (make it more positive) to get make more of the green zone visible.

I have enjoyed these two settings thus far, the cam angles are beautiful, very realistic looking...

However, I still dominate as a pitcher and I am not using any ace like guys either, Terry Mulhullond should not be pitching into the 8th with a shutout...I am a good a pitcher on AS, so this doesn't seem to help...

I think it is limiting as a pitcher on PRO, and far too easy I am pitching with virtually no fear... Big Unit, what do you think? you think I should max out the cpu contact and hitting?

The hitting seems just right though, I was able to get some rallies goings and have not gone crazy with the bats either.

the other thing I am considering although a bit more drastic, is only pitching with my bullpen and allowing my starters to throw by manage only. Then just come in from the bullpen myself... Just don't want to dominate every game out from the gate from a pitching standpoint...

Archived