Finally found the right datafile/slider mix

rustedrobot

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's correct if you haven't changed any of Windows default settings. It automatically hides the extensions of known file types, so by naming it datafile.txt, you are really naming it datafile.txt.txt which won't work.

You can check this by clicking on Tools, Folder Options, View, and uncheck the box that says "Hide Extensions for Known File Types". That way you will know the full filename, rather than just the part before the extension.

Thanks Spitoon. I was scratching my head wondering why it worked for Shooter73 if he named the file just "datafile" without the .txt extension. I still use the DOS window (Command Prompt for those of you too young to remember DOS) when I rename files, run install scripts (like Moser's uniforms), etc. so I always see the full file name.

Sure you can do that if you want. I don't mind (even though you're a fan of the 'Evil Empire').

Go for it!

HEY! Just noticed you live in Massachusetts and like the Yanks. Isn't that sacreligious where you live? There has to be some sort of contract out on you I would think. :wink:

I'll package it up when I get a chance.

As for my Yankees allegience, I grew up in Southington, Connecticut, which produced former major leaguer Rob Dibble (who graduated high school a year after me) and current major leaguer Carl Pavano. Southington seems to be the dividing line between Yankees and Red Sox country. I grew up watching the Yankees in the mid to late 70's (Graig Nettles was my favorite player).

After college, I moved to Massachusetts, and I eventually married a diehard Red Sox fan. I've brought two of my daughters over to the "Dark Side", and my youngest daughter roots for the Sox like my wife. Red Sox / Yankees series are a lot of fun in our house.... :D

It's funny listening to all you young guys in your 30's thinking how old you are. :) I'll turn 44 this summer. I never got into the console gaming scene and really only started gaming once we got a PC 6 or 7 years ago.

THAT'S the name! Couldn't think of it. What ever happened to that place. One day I tried going there and couldn't get in and never heard a word afterwards.

Na, TBBC was what YOUR nickname was... (True Blue Brew Crew) :p

I can't remeber what the 'other' site was....

Anyway. Just got done with the Cubs at beautiful PNC Park (the best ballpark in the country BTW)...

R - H - E

Chicago (N): 0 - 3 - 0

Pittsburgh: 3 - 8 - 2

This puppy was a real pitcher's dual through 7 innings. The only run in the first 7 was a 446' bomb off the bat of ROY Jason Bay to deep, deep left field. Dempster and Fogg were both pitching lights out ball.

Bay came through with 2 more RBI's in the bottom of the 8th when he connected on a 2-out bases-loaded chop just over the 2nd Baseman's head against Chicago reliever Fox.

Line of the Game:

Josh Fogg (P): 7IP - 2H - 0R - 0BB - 7K

3 Games with this setup:

3W - 0L

Pgh: .349 BA - .623 SLG

Opp: .223 BA - .320 SLG

Even though the stats are a little skewed, I love the way the game is playing and have high hopes for using this as a base for getting the 'perfect' gameplay.

Next Game: I head up the turnpike for a game at The Jake against the Indians (the first 'retro' park that I saw a game at.... if you don't count Fenway... but is that really 'retro'.... more 'original'.)

After taking a Survivor break, I completed a see-saw game against the Indians:

R - H - E

Pittsburgh: 9 - 18 - 2

Cleveland: 8 - 16 - 0

Starter Sean Burnett had a rough outing, as the Bucs found themselves surrounded by the Tribe 0 - 5 after 3 frames. The Pirates ordered some chicken to 'wake up bats' and ripped off 8 unanswered run through the next 3 innings. Not to be outdone, the Tribe scored 3 in the bottom of the 7th to knot the game at 8.

The relievers came in and held the scoring at bay until 40-year-old catcher Benito Santiago launched one just over the Centerfield fence to put the good guys up by 1 precarious run. Jose Mesa came into the game and pitched a perfect bottom of the 10th to go 3 for 3 in save opportunities.

Line of the Game: Solomon Torres (P): Gets the Win by holding the Tribe scoreless through 2 2/3rds - 2 2/3IP - 1H - 0R - 2K

Next Game: San Diego Padres visit Pittsburgh

Finally had a chance to change the name of the file. After deleting the .txt extension I fired up the game and everything is working fine. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Glad to hear you got it working. As Spitoon mentioned, your file DOES have a .txt extension. You just can't see it in Windows Explorer. When you add the .txt extension, the file actually has the name datafile.txt.txt.

If you open up a DOS command window and go to the MVP Baseball 2005 / data folder, and look at the file, you'll see the .txt extension there.

I got this working for me as well (previously I had renamed datafile.txt when I should have used just datafile) but I still find Pro to be too easy. Here is a break down of my first four games using Jim's data file combo and Big Unit's pro sliders: I played all games as Texas

vs Giants : I won 7-6 with 4 Hr's and gave up 2. It was the only close game I had and I chalk it up to getting used to the view (I had never used the view included previously).

vs. Cardinals: I wons 8-1 with 4 Hr's gave up a solo to Pujols.

vs. Philles: I clobbered them 15-3 on 7 Hr's (Grand Slam from Hidalgo) and 8 doubles.

vs. Pirates (thought I'd go slumming! No offense to Bucs fans, they are just not a good team this year :) ): I won 12-4 with 5 Hr's.

I like the data file, but Pro hitting is just too easy for me and pitching is not a problem even with the perfect green bar practically non-existent. I have also played a couple of games on AS with this data file and so far it looks promising, I am only hitting 2-3 Hr's per game.

If anyone has good AS sliders that work well with this data file combo, please post it here and if mine evolve to be good AS sliders I will post them.

ok, Big units sliders are excellent, but I made a slight mod for AS level... although it is really not much... This is not anything that BIG Unit approves, they are my mods based on his initial work for PRO sliders. I don't even know if he would endorse this, but for those of you who want a little more challenge hitting and pitching this may work well for you.

I happen to be a very good pitcher and want the cpu hitters to be better... I also wish to have a little more difficulty hitting... so basically I keep all the slider settings that Big Unit uses for PRO and put them on AS with the exception of the following...

-50 User Pitch Meter Difficulty

0 Pitch Speed

-50 User Pitch Control

+50 User Batting Contact

+15 User Batting Power

0 CPU Batting Contact

0 CPU Batting Power

Now I found AS to be tough to hit in normally so I have made these adjustments to help compensate at the moment, however it is also due to me playing a zillion games with the BIG UNIT PRO settings and I need to be able to see the ball a bit differently and adjust to AS again. I have found that by changing the above specific conditions I have made the game suit my playing needs better and making the experience more realistic for me. However, I see the +50 User Batting Contact, coming down soon. I have been striking out a little more, but I think this will eventually have to come down to allow for more strikeouts and less hits as I get better. So it is still a bit up to the individual on the particular settings above. However, I believe the rest of the settings are excellent, which we can call our stock BIG UNIT stock settings. I think those others will work in any level, with exception of the above changes for AS.

Good luck! and thanks again to the parties involved in making this all possible

Thanks for the advice! I played one full season on AS with no datafile and my own sliders as the Rangers I was 125-37. My team ERA was 1.50 (Way off on the realism) and team BA of .273. Kevin Mench led the league with 47 Hrs and Hidalgo was second with 45. Drese led the league in SO's with 195. I will try these sliders on AS with the datafile and see how it goes. I will not start another season unitl I get it right, as I am one of those guys that sets the sliders at the beginning of a season and does not change them until the off season (I know I'm weird that way).

Again thanks to Jim825 and The Big Unit for blazing this trail! Hopefully it leads me to the perfect datafile and sliders for my style of play.

I've always played All-Star and some MVP, but really like the 'feel' of the game on Pro with this datafile. Hopefully I can get the sliders adjusted (with Big Unit's help) to allow me to stay on pro. I think the speed of the game on Pro feels more realistic than on All-Star.

Well, give it a try with the Big Unit Sliders and Jim's Combo File...First of all, I found the -39 pitch difficulty meter too hard so I tried it to 0...Well I will have to play with the sliders because the results of the game was brutal ;-)

NYM : 2 - 5 - 2

WAS : 21 - 28 - 0

I don't know if I was in a zone, I don't know if it was one of a kind game, but man, everything I hit in this one was finding a hole. My timing on the pitches was so good, couldn't believe I was having this kind of night :-)

I'll give a try to the sliders another game, but it seems that getting the Pitch meter to -15 will make the CPU hit more already, and look like I'm gonna have to get the contact down a notch for the User. Getting 28 hits in a game is not particularly realistic...

The feeling at Pro Level is way better tough...

Well, give it a try with the Big Unit Sliders and Jim's Combo File...First of all, I found the -39 pitch difficulty meter too hard so I tried it to 0...Well I will have to play with the sliders because the results of the game was brutal ;-)

NYM : 2 - 5 - 2

WAS : 21 - 28 - 0

I don't know if I was in a zone, I don't know if it was one of a kind game, but man, everything I hit in this one was finding a hole. My timing on the pitches was so good, couldn't believe I was having this kind of night :-)

I'll give a try to the sliders another game, but it seems that getting the Pitch meter to -15 will make the CPU hit more already, and look like I'm gonna have to get the contact down a notch for the User. Getting 28 hits in a game is not particularly realistic...

The feeling at Pro Level is way better tough...

Keep in mind though that I said in the readme that these sliders are best for the way I play the game and is just meant to be a place to start for most people. They may be bad for alot of people that can't pitch as well as I can, or hit better than I do. I'm way better at pitching than hitting. I mean I hit good, but I don't go gang busters either. And they DEFINITELY are bad if you took a normal or good team and traded for a super team in dynasty mode. Then all bets are off with my sliders and I don't think anyone should use them.

Keep in mind though that I said in the readme that these sliders are best for the way I play the game and is just meant to be a place to start for most people. They may be bad for alot of people that can't pitch as well as I can, or hit better than I do. I'm way better at pitching than hitting. I mean I hit good, but I don't go gang busters either. And they DEFINITELY are bad if you took a normal or good team and traded for a super team in dynasty mode. Then all bets are off with my sliders and I don't think anyone should use them.

My first tough is that I was in a zone! Oh, by the way, that was not a negative message about your sliders. I'm sure I can work out on them and I will get good results. If I forgot the fact that I scored 21 runs and got 28 hits, the main thing was I saw ball dropped in alley, something I barely saw at All-Star level. Also, I saw some bad throws from fielders, couple of errors.

Well, I'm satisfied with your sliders Big Unit and thanks for the income. I don't have a Yankees type of team neither, just a well balance Nationals team :-)

I don't know if it's just me but i cannot hit HomeRuns even if my life depended on it. I have the datafile/sliders mentioned but i still can't hit any. Even when i was playing on All-Star level, i got all my runs in by singles. I tried jacking up "User Batting Power" to 25 but most of the balls are hit warning track. Is it because of my timing or does my lack of a controller have to do with anything? BTW, i like the datafile/slider mix.

I think it might have to do with your timing, or possibly your lack of a controller. I tend to hit approx. 5-6 Hr's per game when I use the datafile/sliders combo listed above (I use a Wingman Cordless controller). My best advice is try to see the release point and watch for a specific pitch like a 4 Seamer on the inside part of the plate. When you get your pitch, try to get slightly ahead of it and "Wham" it is gone. After awhile you will not have to just "sit" on a specific pitch and you will be able to hit almost anything if you catch it right. Hope this helps!

Second game with the Big Unit Sliders and Jim's Combo Datafile. The last one was 21-2 for the Nationals against the Mets. This time, I tweak a little bit again.

1- Get the pitching meter difficulty to -39 (Man, that's tough to pitch but no matter what, you ain't a man if you don't try the hard way) :-)

2- Lowered the User batting contact to -20 (I got 28 hit with the previous one, that was a little bit high to me).

Ok, so now on, this was the results against the Dodgers.

WAS - 6 - 9 - 1

LAD - 4 - 9 - 0

Well, I trailed until the 8 inning when Jose Guillen and Ryan Church produce a three run rally to get the lead. In the top of the 9th, Brad Wilkerson gave a 6-4 lead to the Nats.

Pitching was tough, but I manage to go around more, getting ahead in the count and pitching more on the corners. Cezar Isturis and J.D. Drew gave me a hard time. I think I'm getting closer to the confort zone with this sliders.

I tried to play a game on AS previous to that and the feeling of the game was not that good. Thanks to Big Unit and Jim's for their work, now a great game get even greater :-)

Second game with the Big Unit Sliders and Jim's Combo Datafile. The last one was 21-2 for the Nationals against the Mets. This time, I tweak a little bit again.

2- Lowered the User batting contact to -20 (I got 28 hit with the previous one, that was a little bit high to me).

Did you leave the batting power the same?

I made some tweaks to Jim's data file that seem to have cut down significantly on the # of hits per game. Moved the infielders closer to 2b; increased the UpMiddleYawWidth, which I'm hoping will spread hits up the middle out a little more; and moved the Outfielders in to allow for fewer base hits, yet more extra base hits.

You can download it here if you want to give it a shot.

yeah on pro mode with jims data file and big units sliders I'm getting 15-20 hits a game with many aids off. I have user contact set at -50 and I was still able to get too many hits. Maybe i'm too used to playing on all-star mode. However, my team ERA is hovering around 4, which is something that I really like. Even on all-star mode with the recommended settings provided by this forum my ERA was like 1.5

Archived