Finally found the right datafile/slider mix

rustedrobot

My first game line stats with this combo... just for kicks:

R - H - E

WASH: 1 - 8 - 0

PIT : 9 -18 -1

As you can see, I lit it up pretty good, but it was mostly in the first 4 innings against Levon Hernandez who I tend to hit pretty well.

I had 2 doubles, 1 triple, and 2 HR's. Neither home run was from my 'big guns' though which was nice for a change.

I saw some great plays that I hadn't seen before though as far as diving catches and even Levon Hernandez taking a bad hop off the face. I had a screen shot of it, but lost it while I was putting my stats into the spreadsheet. Oddly enough, after getting drilled in the face (the ball ended up in short CF for a double), he didn't come out of the game! Tough guy I guess.... Washington would have been better off if he would have come out!

Anyway, I'll play a few more games and track my stats. Will let you all know how it turns out after a few more games.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, I still dominate as a pitcher and I am not using any ace like guys either, Terry Mulhullond should not be pitching into the 8th with a shutout...I am a good a pitcher on AS, so this doesn't seem to help...

I think it is limiting as a pitcher on PRO, and far too easy I am pitching with virtually no fear... Big Unit, what do you think? you think I should max out the cpu contact and hitting?

You could try maxing the CPU contact, but I don't care for that much. It's too easy and means almost anything they make contact with will either be out of the park or off the walls hard. What I'd rather see you do is turn DOWN (towards the -50 side), the User Pitch Meter difficulty and user pitch control (try about 5 spots down to -32 or so). If it's still too easy to pitch, THEN leave User Pitch meter difficulty and user pitch control where you now changed it to and then bump up CPU contact and power about 5 spots or so and try some games again. I always like to make the pitch settings harder rather than making the CPU hitting settings easier just because then you'll be complaining that the computer always hits home runs every time it makes contact, and it can actually cause a chain reaction of slider changes to correct it if you don't like it where you changed it to and with the changes I suggest, they won't. They'll get alot more singles, doubles, etc...Just leave cranking up CPU contact and power as a last resort because it sounds like your problem is human pitching is too easy rather than CPU hitting is too bad so make the changes to the human pitching first.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out for you. If you want to send me a PM or an e-mail, that's fine too.

I only still hate the walk-up music and endless swing replays, when I used Trues data-file it wasn't there, but now when using the combo it's back

Are you sure you installed the file correctly (renaming the one you want to use to "datafile.txt' and then installing it in the MVP Baseball 2005 / data folder)?

I've been using this file for over a month now with no problems. Has anyone else been having any problems with walkup music or foul ball replays?

I have enjoyed these two settings thus far, the cam angles are beautiful, very realistic looking...

However, I still dominate as a pitcher and I am not using any ace like guys either, Terry Mulhullond should not be pitching into the 8th with a shutout...I am a good a pitcher on AS, so this doesn't seem to help...

I think it is limiting as a pitcher on PRO, and far too easy I am pitching with virtually no fear... Big Unit, what do you think? you think I should max out the cpu contact and hitting?

The hitting seems just right though, I was able to get some rallies goings and have not gone crazy with the bats either.

If you're still finding pitching too easy, reduce your User Pitch Meter Difficulty and User Pitch Control settings (i.e. make them more negative).

I have played my first game with this as Texas hosting StL:

StL: 2-7-0

Tex: 6-14-0

They had 1 2B and 1HR

I had 2 2B, 3 Hr's (Teixeira's was a Grand Slam), and 2 SB.

Drese went 6.1 gave up 1 on 4 and SO 5.

Carpenter went 4.1 gave up 6 on 9 and SO 0.

Still seemed easy to me as I am used to AS so I may try this data file on AS and see what I get with my sliders. Overall it was good, I am just concerned what it would translate to over a season. I also had a ball that jumped up and bit the opposing pitcher in the head!

Jim what slider settings are you using?

These are the settings I've been using:

Game Settings:

Difficulty: Pro

Fielding: Assisted

Batting View: Pitch 6 / Bat 4

Fielding View: Broadcast

Strike Zone: Off

Hot/Cold Zones: Off

Hitters Eye: Off

Pitch Cursor: Fade

Variable Strike Zone: On

Base Umpire Blown Calls: On

Variable Stuff: On

Sliders:

Any slider not listed is set to 0

User Pitch Meter Difficulty: 25

Pitch Speed: -20

CPU Pitch Ball Rate: 15

User Pitch Fatigue: -12

User Pitch Control: -35

CPU Pitch Control: -50

Bullpen Fatigue Rate -10

Bullpen Fatigue Grace -10

User Batting Contact: 10

User Batting Power: 15

User Bunt Ability: 15

User Foul Ball Frequency: 40

CPU Foul Ball Frequency: 40

CPU Swing Frequency: -10

CPU OF Speed: -5

CPU INF Speed: -6

User Throw Accuracy: -6

CPU Throw Accuracy: -6

User Catch Errors: 5

CPU Catch Errors: 8

CPU Catch Effort: -15

User Run Aggression: 5

User Runner Steal Speed:5

User Runner Steal Delay: -5

CPU Steal Rate: 15

I've had a variety of different games (some blowouts, some nailbiters). I'm tempted to try Big Units sliders to see how they perform.

I'm tempted to try Big Units sliders to see how they perform.

Give them a shot Jim. I'm going to be trying your datafile tonight. Can't wait from all the good things I'm hearing. One question though......

Can you just use the default EA cameras with this datafile? (Behind catcher or batters eye or whatever they call it in game?)

My last response to this post.

Those of you that find this data file / slider combo to easy must not be using the data file that includes Spitton's pitching meter. I play at Pro with fielding assist and I still make throwing error's. I have auto return set to on and I still get picked off. This combo setup is something, I have played 7 games and I am 4 and 3. Jamie Moyer just got lit up by the Blue Jays, I had to pull him in the 3rd inning. I got kicked 8 to 2, Vernon Wells hit 2 homers. This combination rocks!

Game #2 with this combo:

Faced a tougher pitcher in Freddy Garcia, but got to him after a few innings. The Chicago lineup was able to do more offensively against me than Washington, but I was still able to hold them at bay while having an offensive outburst:

R - H - E

Pittsburgh: 8 - 11 - 0

Chicago (A): 5 - 12 - 1

The balls were flying out of Cellular One field with Chicago launching 3 in 5 1/3 against Pgh starter Kip Wells, and Pittsburgh adding 5 HR's to the tally. The game also saw 2 double plays turned behind reliever Ryan Vogelsong in 2 2/3 innings as the defense got him out of some jams. Jose Mesa pitched a perfect 9th to preserve the game for the good guys!

Line of the Game: Matt Lawton 2 for 4, 3 runs, 2 RBI's, 2 HR's, 1 BB, 1 K

Game #2 with this combo:

Faced a tougher pitcher in Freddy Garcia, but got to him after a few innings. The Chicago lineup was able to do more offensively against me than Washington, but I was still able to hold them at bay while having an offensive outburst:

R - H - E

Pittsburgh: 8 - 11 - 0

Chicago (A): 5 - 12 - 1

The balls were flying out of Cellular One field with Chicago launching 3 in 5 1/3 against Pgh starter Kip Wells, and Pittsburgh adding 5 HR's to the tally. The game also saw 2 double plays turned behind reliever Ryan Vogelsong in 2 2/3 innings as the defense got him out of some jams. Jose Mesa pitched a perfect 9th to preserve the game for the good guys!

Line of the Game: Matt Lawton 2 for 4, 3 runs, 2 RBI's, 2 HR's, 1 BB, 1 K

Nut,

Are you manually playing your games so far? Or are you simming?

I have to give a big hand (clap clap clap) to the Big Unit on these sliders as well. Played five games with them and got a good variety of hits and fielding felt "spot-on", too. I have essentially the Jim825 datafile (one I made myself with all of the different elements plus the KSM cams) and I also do manual fielding. This game really feels good now. :D:D:D Good job Trues, Spitoon, Abhall, KSM and all the other good people who devote their time to fine-tuning and tweaking. All of these small parts put together are making this one sweet game!

ez

I am so glad everyone else is finding this combination good to use. Isn't it incredibly satisfying to finally find the right combo for realistic games? It makes me want to stay up until like 3am every night now (instead of just getting frustrated).......Either way, I'm glad I found this and it's even better to share it and hear that most everyone else is diggin' it, too.

I'm also quite surprised at the age of people on these boards. I thought for sure I'd be the geezer of the crew at 33, but it's clear I'm not. How funny is it that we all still play video games? I come from the Atari 2600 generation.......been playing games my whole life, it seems. Anyway, I always thought most of us here were younger.

All I know is that I get way less sleep when this games comes out each March......

Maybe it's because i've been playing teams like Orioles and the Devil Rays but now i'm 3-0 with blowouts like 6-1 or 8-2. The weird thing is, all the runs were off singles and such, not HR. Is this because i was used to All-Star difficulty and Pro is too easy for me?

Are you sure you installed the file correctly (renaming the one you want to use to "datafile.txt' and then installing it in the MVP Baseball 2005 / data folder)?

I've been using this file for over a month now with no problems. Has anyone else been having any problems with walkup music or foul ball replays?

Dude, I know what I did wrong. I named the file datafile.txt instead of just datafile.

I played my first game. Chicago Cubs visiting St. Louis. Got Zito on my team and he threw a perfect game.

Cubs 2 - 7 - 0

Cards 0 - 0 - 0

Give them a shot Jim. I'm going to be trying your datafile tonight. Can't wait from all the good things I'm hearing. One question though......

Can you just use the default EA cameras with this datafile? (Behind catcher or batters eye or whatever they call it in game?)

The only modified cameras are camera 4 (Trues' batting view 4 changes), camera 5 (abhall's low batting view changes) and camera 6 (pared's behind the pitcher changes). None of the other cameras have been modified.

I've tried to use the combo datafile again. Spelled it correct, but now while starting mvp 2005 it crashes on the loading screen...

Just so I'm clear on what you said in your other message. You extracted the file you wanted to use, gave it the name "datafile.txt" and copied it to your MVP Baseball / data folder?

Have you installed any other mods?

I don't crash when loading, but it doesn't appear that the datafile is doing anything for me. Still have walkup music, foulball replays, etc. I'm sure I am doing something wrong. I'm playing with Ultimate Rosters and I've installed 3 or 4 ballpark mods. Nothing else.

Archived