Pete Rose: In or Out?

JoeRudi26

Pete Rose: Hall of Fame  

63 members have voted

1. 1.

• In?
    • Out?

This topic has been long debated. I'm not even sure (I doubt it) if there is even a chance he can get in.

But with all the elements (steriods, corked bats, gambling) that we have in baseball now, what are your opinions?

I'm a purist. I LOVED the way Pete played the game, but I can't stand what he did ON the field.

When Joe Dimaggio said if Pete got in, he would take HIS own plaque down, I guess that did it for me. I also believed from the beginning that he DID bet on the game.

Some people only care about numbers, some care COMPLETELY about the game.

I have mixed feelings. I'm going to go with in the Hall, but stay banished from the game. A case can be made for others that are in the Hall not to be, so simply because of his playing, he should be in the HOF. But aside from his acceptance speech at Cooperstown, I think he should stay out of the game. Anybody agree?

i have to go with in. he was my idol as a kid, plain and simple. i've never seen a guy play like him in my lifetime. yeah as i got older it dawned on me that he was a scumbag in a sense. yes, he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar, which is wrong. but that's the thing he was caught, there's probably countless others in the hall that did the same if not worse that weren't. just because pete's been branded a devil doesn't make the guys who are in there angels. i think jenkins was another guy who claimed he would leave the hall if pete went in, funny for a guy who admitedly used cocaine on and off the field.

I voted In. On the field, during his playing days he was awesome. He played the game the way it was meant to be played.

There is a reason his nickname is/was Charlie Hustle. 200% all the time.

I voted In. On the field, during his playing days he was awesome. He played the game the way it was meant to be played.

There is a reason his nickname is/was Charlie Hustle. 200% all the time.

I agree, this is the baseball hall of fame, he shouldn't be excluded because of his off the field antics. He is one of two players to get 4,000 hits in a season, and he has more hits than anyone else who has ever played the game. He has played 200 more games than anyone else also. So, I think that he should be in the Hall of Fame.

I voted no, heck no and no way at all. What he did on the baseball field was great. His stats speak for themselves. Unfortunately, so does his actions that lead to his banishment from baseball. He was suspended for life in 1989 by Commissioner Giamatti for betting on baseball. He spent fifteen years denying that he did it over and over again. Then he comes out with a book and admits that he did bet on the game, which should have proved to everyone that the decision that Giamatti made that day was the correct one.

Once again, Rose out and out admitted that the reason why he was banished from baseball was true. And he still wants to be let back in. Most fans are not able to grasp this fact. They keep going back and letting you know what Rose did on the field. Reds fans especially think Rose can do no wrong! I can understand their reasons for liking the guy. He played the game hard and he enjoyed playing baseball. But what he did he did to himself. I vote no.

i say no becuase he broke the number one rule in baseball...no betting. i belive that betting on baseball while playing it ruins the intergy of the sport more than roids or corking bats can ever do...why? well, it gives certian teams insentive to throw games (see black sox scandal) for their own greed and people will even question if they are even trying to win at all or just acting. i also belive that any sort of cheating is wrong, but they are trying to win, where in gambling, the players are just trying to get the most of their postion and throw certian games. even though rose apolized, he still broke the rules...if we let him in, we have to reinstate all the gamblers in the game....and i don't think baseball will do that.

IN and only for one reason, at the time he agreed to the ban from baseball the rules for the HOF were as so that he could still be voted in. MLB convinced the HOF committee to change the rules before Rose's name came up for vote

So at the time he agreed to the ban he thought that was all he was giving up, he thought he would still be a HOFer. If he knew the rules would be changed he would have never signed the paper

the reason rose came clean was because he was told if he did so baseball would let him back in.

He never bet as a player, just a manager. and he would be in the HOF as a player (well because he sucked as a manager)

I vote let him in the HOF, but never let him have a baseball job again

what he should be in the HOF, for what he did as a player

as a manager he sucked and bet on games

I in no way think he should be allowed back in BASEBALL just the HOF

He never bet on games as a PLAYER

the HOF has others that bet on the game in it wonderfull halls, even at least one yankee

what he should be in the HOF, for what he did as a player

as a manager he sucked and bet on games

I in no way think he should be allowed back in BASEBALL just the HOF

He never bet on games as a PLAYER

the HOF has others that bet on the game in it wonderfull halls, even at least one yankee

What Yankee is that??

i have to agree w/ kraw. like i said earlier, the hall is full of cheaters. to say anything otherwise would be insane. cepeda and jenkins were junkies, gaylord perry was an admitted cheater which everyone laughs at and thinks is cute. each and every one of the guys in the hall (almost) certainly has their little skeletons to hide, they're humans.

rose should be in, and while we're at it so should shoeless joe. banned from the field yes, banned from the hall no way. name 3 players in the modern era that play the game like rose did. and not dykstra :p which IMO would have been close.

i said in just because i dont think you can keep such a talented player such as Rose out of baseball its like a crime he was an amzing player and i think he should be given another chance PLUS he should have been in the HOF a long time ago

Like many others said, this is the BASEBALL Hall of Fame, not the LIFE Hall of Fame.

And hey... not only Rose should be IN, but like rambully mentioned, Shoeless Jackson also DESERVES to be IN.

Like many others said, this is the BASEBALL Hall of Fame, not the LIFE Hall of Fame.

And hey... not only Rose should be IN, but like rambully mentioned, Shoeless Jackson also DESERVES to be IN.

Then he shouldn't have brought his gambling ON THE FIELD.

This is why I say out.

you may be right BUT then what about cepeda, jenkins, perry and even molitor for that matter? habitual drug users do take their habits on the field. and perry was a cheater.

I have to say in the Hall. But still banned from the game. He betrayed the sport by betting on it. He has no place in active baseball ever again. However, his career speaks for itself. His plaque should say: Baseball's all-time hits leader. Banned for life from baseball due to betting on the game.

I support him for the Hall, never to see him as an active part of the game again.

Archived