Pete Rose: In or Out?

JoeRudi26

Pete Rose: Hall of Fame  

63 members have voted

1. 1.

• In?
    • Out?

In. You don't keep the all-time hits leader out of the Hall. No chance. It's the National Baseball Hall of Fame, and it's not run by Dr. Phil.

I completely understand where people who say no are coming from, and they have some great points, but my personal opinion is that it should be based on stats and achievments on the field. I also believe that Shoeless Joe Jackson should be in - 158-519 K-BB rate? That's just rediculous.

In. You don't keep the all-time hits leader out of the Hall. No chance. It's the National Baseball Hall of Fame, and it's not run by Dr. Phil.

I completely understand where people who say no are coming from, and they have some great points, but my personal opinion is that it should be based on stats and achievments on the field. I also believe that Shoeless Joe Jackson should be in - 158-519 K-BB rate? That's just rediculous.

I agree. It is inexcusable what he did off the field, but the HALL is for numbers and stats and he's got them plenty!

• 2 months later...

I know that a lot of people say that Pete has been banished for life and that it should stand. Here's a question I would like to have answered though...

When you say banished for life, whose life are you talking about? Are you talking about the life of the player or the life of the game? If you are talking about the life of the player, then upon that players death he should be given consideration for reinstatement or induction into the Hall if his career numbers warrent it.

If you are talking about the lifetime of the game itself, then isn't that being somewhat vindictive? Isn't that attempting to punish a corpse for the sake of your own personal moral standards that someone else might not measure up to? Isn't it unfair on that players' family members who might want to see their ancestor forgiven in some way?

And can someone who bet on the game earn forgiveness? If not, why not? Are they to be treated as criminals for the rest of their life and for all of their death?

And what about Pete Rose Jr.? Since he was Pete's son, shouldn't he have been banned from the game as well and declared guilty by association? Why was he allowed to play the game when Pete was banned? Shouldn't the sins of the father have been visited upon the son?

Now I don't ask these questions to start a fight or anything, these are just some things that have crossed my mind from time to time when I have thought about the Pete/HOF question.

Now, if Pete can never gain forgiveness for what he has done, even if he comes clean, says he is sorry and admits he has a problem, then how does that make any one of us better than him? If we hold a grudge against Pete, then what's to keep someone else from holding a grudge against any one of us and judging us and the ones we love just as harshly?

But, I digress...

I say that Pete should be inducted for the way he played the game on the field. I also think that part of his plaque should read that he was banned from baseball for betting on the game.

I also think that Joe Jackson should be in the Hall of Fame. I mean come on, ESPN said it best in their 5 reasons you can't blame the White Sox for throwing the 1919 WS:

5. Rampant Corruption - There was already gambling involved in baseball. It's just that baseball didn't want to know about it because they were afraid of what might (and did) happen.

4. Charlie Comisky - If he had just treated his players fairly, if he had not abused them the way he did, if he had payed his players what they were worth, the whole thing might never have happened.

3. Lack of a whistleblower - no one was willing to come forward. Buck Weaver wanted no part of the fix in the first place and told no one which was why he was banned.

2. The game stats were inconclusive - Jackson hit .375 in the series, made no errors in the field and hit the series only home run.

1. THEY WERE AQUITTED!!! - they were found not guilty in the trial. End of story.

Now, if you still think that Pete should be banned for (his) life, then I leave you with the words of the late Ted Williams when he was campaigning to get Joe Jackson in the HOF:

"When Joe Jackson was banned, he and the other Black Sox were banned from the game for life. JOE JACKSON IS DEAD, HE'S SERVED HIS SENTANCE, LETT HIM IN THE HALL OF FAME!!! When Pete Rose is dead, THEN we can start talking about letting him in!"

I say in. As far as I know, from reading his book and such, he never bet against his team as a player or manager. So he would not throw the game. Infact if I remember his book correctly, he said that betting for his team gave him a more competitive edge, making random games in June seem like the World Series. I see nothing wrong with that.

hahah im kidding...i would say in..because..the facts are that the man is leading all of baseballs history with 4,256 hits, and the only one with less is ty cobb, and ty has 67 hits less.i mean cmon..this man started the head first slide onto first base! this guy had the determination, to get onto the base by ALL MEANS..and his stats reflect that...he bet on a couple of games..a couple of very important games..but u cant take away his honor for that.. i vote in

IN IN IN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IN!!!

He is baseball's ALL TIME hits leader.He is the greatest hitter than ever lived. So what if he was a douchebag.Babe Ruth was a douchebag, he was an alcoholic, he beat his wife and cheated on her with prostitutes.Ty Cobb was probably the biggest asshole in the history of the game.

Yeah he bet on baseball.Should he be banned from the game?Yes.From the Hall? NO!!!

And its not like he threw games in order to win bets. He bet for the Red to win. There isn't a dang thing wrong with that. A manager is PAID to help his team win. It's his JOB.

Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame. And someone else said it on here but his plaque should read:

Pete "Charlie Hustle" Rose

All-Time Hit King

Played the game harder than anybody ever.

Banned from baseball for betting on his team to win.

And like was said before, let Joe Jackson in as well.He served his life sentence.

• 1 year later...

Archived