Waterfront Park BETA released

MarkB

OK guys, it's semi-done. I'm still working on it, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to fix the remaining issues and enhance the whole stadium further, so I've decided to release a BETA version in advance of the final version.

The existing main issues are;

Ads in right-center dissappear at certain camera angles.

Stark & Stark sign in center field is slightly messed up. - Fixed with release 0.6 BETA.

Things I have not finished yet, but hope to have done for the final version with the problem in brackets;

Change the hitter's eye background to a solid green and add the home run line. (Don't know what graphic is being used for the existing hitter's eye background, hence, don't know what to change.)

Move the 1st and 3rd base side logos to behind home plate to represent the actual logos in Waterfront Park. - Done with release 0.6 BETA.

The net behind home plate doesn't look as good as it could. (The default is a solid screen, so making it into a net using only graphics is hard.)

Move the Verizon ad from right-center to further right field. (No problem here, I just haven't gotten around to it.) - Done with release 0.7 BETA.

Most added walls do not have active collision detection. (Trouble with finding enough vertices for impacts.)

In the foul ground to the sides of left and right field, the graphical grass doesn't go all the way to the edge of the trees, and you can see some black areas where the ground is empty.

Comcast advertisement in dugout and Trenton Thunder website on dugout piping is reversed on the home dugout. (EA being sloppy, no known way to avoid or remove the reversing.) - Semi-fixed in release 0.7 BETA - Thanks to MarlinsMY.

The right field advertising board and screen doesn't look great when viewed from a distance. (EA's graphical choices, no known way to avoid slight bleeding of graphics.)

A few screenshots (Bear in mind they're compressed to JPEG format, so there is quality loss);

snap0114mq.th.jpgsnap0162kl.th.jpgsnap0089lh.th.jpgsnap0104db.th.jpgsnap0717kg.th.jpg

If you want to help contribute to the final version, please let me know of any problems you come across that I've not mentioned above. Also, if you have the knowledge, any insight to the above problems would be much appreciated.

Although this is only the BETA version, I can't thank the people who have helped up to this point enough.

Enjoy!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great! I'm gonna grab it right now.

Edit: Okay, I've just played a few innings, and so far the only glitch I have found is with the live video feed board. When any pitcher begins his delivery, it gives that "bumble-bee show" like your cable has gone out. Apart from this glitch, it's looking really good. My only criticism (please do not take any offense to this, as none is intended), is that the grass has a very plastic feel to it. I can't describe it. It looks like it's some sort of moulded plastic painted green. Anyway, I really love this stadium. 4/5 with glitch, 5/5 when fixed!

Didn't explain that very well, looking back on it. I know where the logos are, the actual images that are put onto the field, but I don't know what ord/orl files the data for those logos is, so that I can move them behind home.

Shall I send you the 0031-X.bmp files, the ones that contain the net graphics?

EDIT - Mike, no offence taken at all. Not noticed that one myself. I've only even seen that when I've been flipping between Windows and the game. I'll check it out, though. The grass for the stadium is provided by raindelay7 and comes from his minimised grass mod. If you want, I can release the original grass with the final version with a batch file to install it, so you (and everyone else) can choose if they want the default grass or raindelay7's grass. That sound OK?

Critisism is welcome, guys.

Double EDIT - Oh, and while I'm mentioning names, I should mention the others who contributed already, in no particular order.

olyrunner

Trues

Sean O

The Big O

Pirate

raindelay7

Y2K and hyman

The artist formerly know as TribeTime26

BaseBallHeadDan

sixto

Many thanks to all of the above. Full details will be in the final readme file.

Okay, I've now finished the game and I have found a problem with the dugout of the home team. The Verizon logo and the website URL for the Thunder is inversed. Don't know if this can be fixed becuase a lot of modded stadiums have this problem. I'd be glad to play a few games here tonight to find anything else that can help you out.

Yep, that's one of the things I was debating in the preview thread last time I posted in it. I decided to leave it in, for now, unless anyone has any specific objections to it. Unfortunately, I don't think it can be fixed so that it isn't reversed.

Hmm.. I seem to have hit a homerun, though it hit the sign (can't remember the name) just above the New Jersey 101.5 FM sign. It said it went 427 ft. The replay showed it go right through the wall. Is there a way to give it properties of a wall, like the green monster? I also saw the computer hit a similar thing, this time in right field hitting between the Remax and Be a Nurse sign.

Yep, that's another thing I forgot about. From what I've seen already, there aren't enough vertices to give the "extra" walls the impact of a wall, so the balls will go straight through most of them. That's another thing I'm hoping to at least improve on for the final version.

Thanks, Jogar!

:lol:

No need, honestly. I've become a perfectionist while working on it, so I'm looking to fix even the most minor details as well. Anything at all, let me know. I should really update the list of known isues in the first post, actually.

Well, Mike, remember it's a Thunder stadium, AA affiliate of the Yankees. We'll convert you to the Yankees yet! :wtg:

Hmm.. I seem to have hit a homerun, though it hit the sign (can't remember the name) just above the New Jersey 101.5 FM sign. It said it went 427 ft. The replay showed it go right through the wall. Is there a way to give it properties of a wall, like the green monster? I also saw the computer hit a similar thing, this time in right field hitting between the Remax and Be a Nurse sign.

What happens is that Waterfront considers a homerun anything over 8' I think it is, so when I changed the wall collision that's all I made it recognize. It's too hard, if not impossible, to make it deflect off of the wall and still have it count as a homer, so I left it at that.

I think all that stuff may be in another file, but if not it would take some serious work and I don't know if it would be possible.

It's too hard, if not impossible, to make it deflect off of the wall and still have it count as a homer, so I left it at that.

I meant that if it hit the wall, the ball would still be in play. If it goes over the entire wall, then it would be a homerun, a la green monster.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. Are you saying that it would be too hard to make the ball hitting the wall stay in play and the ball going over the wall a homerun? Or are you saying that it would be too hard to have it bounce off the wall, but be considered a home run, like the blue bagging at the Metrodome?

Well, those walls in Waterfront are actually out of play, so the way it is now is realistic rules wise. It's only in play if the ball hits the first 8 feet of the wall from the ground upwards. Anything else, including any adboards or scoreboards, is out of play, the same way it is in Waterfront Park.

Looks good from the screenshots! I'm going to try it out soon.

The 1B and 3B logos are in the mfieldX.ord/orl files. I don't think you'll have a problem moving them behind home plate, as I was able to move them underneath the stands for the Hadlock I'm working on. (You'll have to move them in every file so all grass patterns will have them moved).

As for the hitting the wall and it still being a HR, one of the AAA stadiums (I think it's the third) has this feature, so maybe looking at the files in that will help. I'm going to have to eventually figure that out too (or just live without it :-) ). Seeing as how I can't even figure out how to change it regularly, I'm going to have to figure out a lot!

Again, the screenshots look good, and I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks, MarlinsMY, I found the files. I don't know how I missed them in the first place, but I see them now. Next is the task of moving them, which shouldn't be too hard.

While I'm here, you got a timetable for the release of your Hadlock Field? That is looking very good.

EDIT - Success. Made a quick and nasty edit to the mfield0.o file, imported it and fired up the game, and it's looking good! I think I'll create a couple of alpha files for the bitmaps rather than messing around with the grass textures, but it's a start.

Wow, this is...unexpected. One of, if not the, most popular baseball teams on the planet, and I can't find a logo of them that hasn't been anti-aliased.

Anyone have a clean interlocking NY logo?

Jim - It just doesn't look like a net to me. It's not even transparent, for a start. The actual net is black and (obviously) transparent, while the one in the stadium is just messed up. Compare it to a major league stadium in-game with a net and you'll probably see what I mean.

Archived