MVP 06 Cover Player ROUND 2

SwinginSoriano

Who do you want to be on the Cover of MVP 06?  

114 members have voted

1. 1.

• Andruw Jones
    • Dontrelle Willis
    • Alex Rodriguez
    • Derek Lee
    • Chicago White Sox

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The White Sox didn't have MVP players, they had tons of talented players that had something to prove because everyone (including me) doubted them. (At least I picked them to win the ALCS and WS, otherwise I have doubted them.)

Right I agree, I didn't say I voted for them because they are a team of MVPers, but because they played like a team of MVPers, and they should be commended for that.

Can you bring up a comparision of the two after the All-Star Break?

Why would a comparison of the two after the All Star Break matter any more than the split from before the All Star Break? Rodriguez was better than Lee in the second half, and Lee was monstrously better than anyone else in the first. In the end, Lee had a bigger year, and as we all know, Rodriguez is one of the worst clutch performers in the entire sport.

Playing third won't make that big of a difference, they're both corner positions and while a third baseman is going to get more tries, a first baseman with range is ridiculously useful. Lee is a more useful defender because he can scoop anything out of the dirt, thus making the rest of his entire infield better. While Rodriguez has to cover for Jeter's lack of range, he doesn't make anyone else any better.

So Lee hits better, has a better SLG, hits nearly twice as many doubles, and is a better defender. Once again, why is this a competition?

C'mon Lee!

Let's compare him to Rodriguez:

BA	OPB  SLG  EQA  HR 2B  K   H	VORP

Lee:	   .335  .418  .662 .344  46  50 109 199 106

Rodriguez: .321  .421  .610 .337  48  29 139 194 99.7
Now in fielding:

Rate2  E  

Lee:		109	6

Rodriguez:  95	 12

So, why are people voting for Rodriguez over Lee?

Because A-Rod is a millions times more popular than Lee, who is a low-key guy.

Why would a comparison of the two after the All Star Break matter any more than the split from before the All Star Break? Rodriguez was better than Lee in the second half, and Lee was monstrously better than anyone else in the first. In the end, Lee had a bigger year, and as we all know, Rodriguez is one of the worst clutch performers in the entire sport.

Playing third won't make that big of a difference, they're both corner positions and while a third baseman is going to get more tries, a first baseman with range is ridiculously useful. Lee is a more useful defender because he can scoop anything out of the dirt, thus making the rest of his entire infield better. While Rodriguez has to cover for Jeter's lack of range, he doesn't make anyone else any better.

So Lee hits better, has a better SLG, hits nearly twice as many doubles, and is a better defender. Once again, why is this a competition?

So that's a 'No'?

So that's a 'No'?

Well, I was under the mistaken impression that people here weren't lazy enough to put up their own stats, so yeah i'll post it:

Pre:

BA	OPB  SLG  HR 2B  K   H   

Lee:	 .378  .452  .733  27 27 61  119 

Rodriguez: .317	.416  .582 23 17 103

BA	OPB  SLG  HR 2B  K   H   

Lee:	 .287	.380	.581  19 23 41  80 

Rodriguez: .325	.426 .643 25 12 76 91

So while Rodriguez beat Lee by .038 after the ASB, Lee annihilated .061 him before the break. Plain and simple, Lee had one of the best halves of any player of the past 20 years, and even if he had a less than stellar second half, he undoubtedly had the better season.

As for that other post, pfft, I hope no one actually thinks Rodriguez is an attractive person. Though, to be honest I have a hard time looking at him without thinking of a). skin folds rippling because of the glove, and B). him prancing down the line replete with heels and handbag slapping Arroyo's glove.

Bottom line, overpaid weenie shouldn't be the face of baseball, someone like the D-train should. Plus, it would be nice to have someone who hasn't been on a cover in the last 6 years.

Sorry, I'll go back to fellating Albert Pujols, the best player of any sport ever if that will make you feel better.

I get peeved when people are too lazy to do their own work and don't bother to pay attention to information. Just because you hate the Cubs, and believe me I'm in greater agreement with you than you'd imagine, doesn't mean that Lee isn't the best NL player in 2005.

Sorry, I'll go back to fellating Albert Pujols, the best player of any sport ever if that will make you feel better.

I get peeved when people are too lazy to do their own work and don't bother to pay attention to information. Just because you hate the Cubs, and believe me I'm in greater agreement with you than you'd imagine, doesn't mean that Lee isn't the best NL player in 2005.

That wasn't the arguement I was making, atleast not here. It's just that in about every post you've made about this custom cover, both Round 1 and 2, you come off as hostile. I don't know why. You jumped on me for suggesting putting the MVP and the Cy Young from the same team on a cover together, when I wasn't really suggesting it as the best choice.

The reason I brought up ARod and DLee in the second half was because while ARod choked BIG TIME come playoffs, offensively he and Jeter carried the Yankees after the All-Star Break. Sure, guys like Matsui, Giambi and Cano got hot, but ARod and Jeter stayed consistent and carried their team and patchwork bullpen to the playoffs. Derek Lee cooled off while his team was well out of the playoff hunt.

Derek Lee is a great player, I'm not disputing that. But the same reasons Pujols got the MVP over Lee are probably the same reasons ARod will move on in this situation.

Archived