Movies of the Year

Pirate

In a Pirate recap special I ask and comment on the top movies of the year.

1. Munich - Amazing vivid and raw movie tha made me think more than anything this year.

2. Harry Potter IV - Just as entertaining as the book (and that says a lot.)

3. ROTS Star Wars III - Nothing better than the end of the movie... "You were the chosen one Anikan. You were suposed to bring us together not tear us apart!" ....and tears.

1. The Great Raid- not exactly a masterpeice, but a refreshing, not anti-American Hollywood movie about the most daring raids conducted by WWII soldiers.

2. Cinderella Man- powerful and moving film about a forgotten boxer.

thats about it, 2005 was a bad year for movies, but these two were worth the price of admission. Too many movies out there with "political agendas" and two many crappy sequels and lame blockbusters like King Kong.

My favorite movie that I watched for the first time this year was a low-key release from 2003 called The Station Agent. I got it from a video store that was going out of business purely on spec, and it's quickly grown into one of my favorite movies.

It's about a lone-wolf dwarf who inherits an abandoned train depot in New Jersey from his boss / best friend when he dies, a divorcee who's too concerned with projecting a sense of invulnerability to confront the issues in her life, and a happy-go-lucky New York hispanic who runs a cafe on wheels near the depot and who brings the three together in friendship against all odds.

I recommend it to anyone. It's relatively short, but very awesome.

--Eric

Archived