Music of the Year

Pirate

Another Pirate recap special asks and comments on the top Albums of the year, in our respective field of knowledge (of course.)

Alt Rock:

1. Death Cab for Cutie - Plans - One of the finest craftings of music created in the passt five years. Solid riffs and beautiful slow songs. I feel such a range of emotions when listening.

2. Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel - What an album. While U2 and R.E.M. suffer through mediocrity late in their careers, Dm creates amazing music 30 years after forming.

3. Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth - May have been a late 04 release but it doesn't matter. While I love Reznor's previous works this one is grown up and more mature, less about love and more about life. Wonderful corporate angst rock.

Alt.Rock

Dave Matthews Band - The Complete Weekend On The Rocks (8 CD's + 1 DVD)

The box gives you four full DMB-shows from the Red Rocks Amphitheater in Colorado. Recorded over a 4 day period in September 2005 (9-12), the energy that has come to be known as DMB is played out to 200 % as the band end their Summer Tour of '05. The fact that the 9/11 show itself was one of the best by the band ever makes the box even more worth buying.

my favorite songs of the year:

1). Kano - p's and q's - If you remotely enjoy hip hop, listen to this song and realize why the British grime style is number 1.

2). Death Cab for Cutie - Some Day You Will Be Loved - Tremendous and heartfelt, barely beating out the incredible Marching Bands Through Manhattan.

3). Coldplay - White Shadows - I'm still meh about the band, but an excellent song.

4). White Stripes - Denial Twist

5). Lemon Jelly - '64 (aka Go) - I never could have thought a song combining electronica, rock and William Shatner would be this good, but there you go. Best sonic moment of the year midway through.

As for songs I heard for the first time, #1. is Mountain Heart's With a Memory Like Mine, #2. Make Your Own Kind of Music by Mama Cass, #3. I Was Made to Love Her by Stevie Wonder.

Guest JWClubbie

Guero- Beck

Bigger Bang- Rolling Stones

Prairie Wind- Neil Young

The System Has Failed- Megadeth

This Godless Endeavor- Nevermore

Lamb of God- Killadelphia

Anthrology: No Hit Wonders (1985-1991)- Anthrax

Top 5:

1.) Coheed & Cambria - "Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV"

2.) Dredg - "Catch Without Arms"

3.) Reggie & The Full Effect - "Songs Not To Get Married To"

4.) Bullet For My Valentine - "The Poison" (UK Release, US Release 2/14/06)

5.) Alkaline Trio - "Crimson"

As for Cloutier who mentioned Hawthorne Heights for 06, all I've got to say in my opinion that their sophmore effort is no where near their first cd (I've got the CD already). However, I'm not too keen on them as much as I was, but I would definately recommend it if anyone is a fan of them.

Hip-Hop

1. Common - Be

2. Kanye West - Late Registration

3. Little Brother - The Minstrel Show

4. The Game - The Documentary

5. Mike Jones - Who Is Mike Jones?

by the way, whoever mentioned Fat Joe's album....you need to be smacked

Hip-Hop

1. Common - Be

2. Kanye West - Late Registration

3. Little Brother - The Minstrel Show

4. The Game - The Documentary

5. Mike Jones - Who Is Mike Jones?

by the way, whoever mentioned Fat Joe's album....you need to be smacked

Have you listened to All or Nothing? Seriously, I wasn't much of a Fat Joe fan either, but after I downloaded the album...Sh!t, that was some good sh!t!

But maybe my favorite song from that album: F*ck 50

G...G...G-uNOT!

Archived