Obie Trice Shot

Guest JWClubbie

What team does this guy play for? I never heard of him.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I won't shead a tear over this one and I'll tell you why. If you are going to use profanity, racially charged words and violent imagery in your songs, I have no respect for you. I would love to post some of his lyrics here to back up my point, but the censors wouldn't allow it.

"Artists" (I use that term loosely) like this are nothing but trouble for today's society. They promote everything that is wrong today, but the problem is that some youth look up to these people -- they're rich and famous. Why??? Gun violence should not be glorified in music and racial slurs should be banned from speech (and that includes modifications of defamatory words -- if you add a "z" to a word doesn't make it cool).

I am sick of people like this.

"Get Rich or Die Tryin'"

I am hoping for the latter.

Save the world -- mute the bad roll models.

[/rant]

First of all, Obie Trice's lyrics extend far beyond the use of profanity. His lyrics create an image of violence, drug use, racism and infidelity. Is he a role model? Hell no! Would the world be better if his songs weren't played? Maybe. The problem is that there are others like him.

If you haven't already, feel free to google "Obie Trice lyrics" and take a read. Then come back and apologize for calling me ignorant.

Here's the thing, today we are surrounded with violence on tv (either from CSI type shows or the nightly news), violence in video games and because of rappers like Obie Trice there is violence in music. Today's youth are growing up in this environment and it is ignorant to think that they are not being desensitized to violence as a result. If in the 1950s someone was shot in your neighbourhood it would be huge news. Today, if someone gets shot in broad daylight on a busy street we respond by asking if that's number 51 or 52 for the year and then go on our way.

We need to start putting some value on human life. We need to eradicate those that glorify the use of violence either through music or movies. I don't think we can push the envelope anymore. Freedom of speech has already allowed for enough.

Sure there will be those that will argue that you have the right to listen to whatever type of music that you want, which is true. However, if this type of imagery is everywhere can you really avoid it? If your friends at school listen to a particular artist or genre of music you probably will as well. Conformity is a reality in today's schools. To be accepted you must so x, y and z.

I close with this, should people like 50 Cent or Obie Trice be idolized or profit from their objectionable lyrics and image? I strongly oppose this. That is my opinion and that alone. Should people wear bullet proof vests to award shows in place of a tuxedo? I strongly recommend it.

Please note that in the process of writing this message I did not harm the English language by adding a " z " or a " ' " to words to create the illusion that I am illiterate. I apologize if I am not "down" as a result.

Best of luck to you all in the new world.

May you please pack a lunch rather than a weapon.

I cannot agree more with Carter. Maybe Tribe, you can shed some light on what is "cool" bout the gangster/hip hop lifestyle. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why that genre promotes such things. How is it that a former drug runner like 50 Cent can be idolized millions of youths when he is a criminal? I hope some one can enlighten me on why people think the lyrical stylings of Eminem, Obie Trice, Snoop, 50 Cent, and just about every other hip hop rapper folk are worth a damn in this society.

so you're blaming violence in our society on hip-hop....why don't you blame music like Bob Marley or Pink Floyd on drug use? or EMO bands on teen suicides? If you don't like the music, don't listen to it. You're singling out hip-hop as the cause of our society's downfall when there are so many other factors that contribute to problems in our society. If you want to get rid of hip-hop, we might as well get rid of all forms of media because you see sex and violence in TV's, movies and video games all the time. Metal music promotes anarchy, lets get rid of that too while we're at it. Where exactly do you draw a line as to what constitutes things that should be censored and things that should not be censored? These negativities in our society is an unfortunate result of capitalism. If we want the government to control what we see and hear in the media, doesn't that constitute as fascism?

we live in a society that gives us the right to see what we want to see and listen to what we want to hear. Do you really want that right to be taken away just because you don't like a certain music genre? Rap is the most marketable music genre, and that is why it constantly dominates the Billboard charts. If you don't like it, why don't you complain to the people running the record companies? I'm sure they will listen to your complaints and have country music on top of the charts in no time.

Carter,

Violence isn't just in Hip-Hop. So according to you we should ban movies like Pulp Fiction, don't like artists like Elvis becuase he did drugs, don't like Bob Marley because he smoked pot, don't play GTA and so on. These things are a part of life, and you can't forget that, but you can chose not to do those things.

I listen to a lot of Hip-Hop: 2Pac, Biggie, Eminem, D-12, Game, Snoop and so on. But that doesn't mean I like guys who kills people. But I enjoy their music!

Buddy, you've got it all wrong.

Hip-hop is not soley to blame. However, violence, sexism and racism can be found in some hip-hop lyrics. I am not blaming the genre but just some artists. Do not turn this into a fight about music genres. Some hip-hop artists convey powerful, harmless or informative messages -- some don't. Hip-hop is actually one of my favorite genres.

My problem is that some lyrics are highly objectionable. We have focussed this discussion on some hip-hop artists because they have lyrics that are full of violent, sexual and racial content. I may be naive. If you know of a country artist that should be included please let me know. If Frank Sinatra has a tune in which he speaks of "popping" someone, please let me know.

Should these "artists" be allowed to say what they want? Sure, freedom of speech gives them that right. However, morally is it right? That is the question.

Parents today are losing ground in raising their children. In the past kids would mainly only watch or listen to media that their parents or friend's parents brought home. While this can be regarded as censorship it also created a society that experienced far fewer gun related fatalities. Today, tv and the internet make images of violence more accessible than ever. Some kids get raised by tv while their parents work. Therefore, as adults shouldn't we really monitor what is out there?

I am not saying that every person carrying a gun in society is listening to 50 Cent on their iPod, but that if we are constantly bombarded with images or imagery of violence that we will become desensitized to it -- if we haven't already.

Television shows, newscasts and movie makers are equally to blame. Over the past couple of years we have witnessed war from the comfort of our homes. As newscasters raced into battle with soldiers to report the lastest stories (and gain ratings) we sat and wached in awe.

When and where do we draw the line? Is anything morally wrong in today's world?

Should people be able to profit from violence, sexism, racism and profanity?

We have a choice to listen and watch what we please, I agree. However, we also hold a huge responsibility. We are responsible for raising the youth of today in a relatively safe world. We must ensure that they are taught right from wrong. At a young age, kids are impressionable. If they continuously hear songs about shootings or pimps do you not think that they are acceptable?

Take a look back 50 years to see what the world used to be like, then look at today's society and think of what could happen in the next 50 years. Is your vision a little scary? What can we do to change things? I do not hold "the answer" but I strongly believe that if violence and sexism were removed from today's media the world would change. Take a look back 50 years and you'll see.

I have taken my look back 50 years and here's what I see:

In the year 1956 we have just rebounded from WWII, racism is still a huge probelm afro-americans gets killed, the Berlin-wall stands tall and seperates the different parts of Germany. The world wasn't a better place to live 50 years ago. We have and will always have problems in our socitey.

So please don't give me that speech. Because there wasn't less violence back than.

PS: No hardt feelings, this is far from a fight, it's a disscution (sp)

BTW: I can't give you Frank Sinatra saying "popping" someone, but I can give you Nancy Sinatra (Born June 8, 1940)

"Bang bang, he shot me down

Bang bang, I hit the ground

Bang bang, that awful sound

Bang bang, my baby shot me down."

Wars and racism span our history. Sadly these two things continue today.

My problem is that the everyday world, the world in which we directly live is much different. I am speaking solely about North America and in particular the cities that we inhabit. Are they as safe as they were 50 years ago?

Could you send a child to school in the 1950s and be 99% sure that he/she will come home without a bullet wound, baby or a STD?

I don't know if we can be as sure today.

Why? What has changed?

Wars and racism span our history. Sadly these two things continue today.

My problem is that the everyday world, the world in which we directly live is much different. I am speaking solely about North America and in particular the cities that we inhabit. Are they as safe as they were 50 years ago?

Could you send a child to school in the 1950s and be 99% sure that he/she will come home without a bullet wound, baby or a STD?

I don't know if we can be as sure today.

Why? What has changed?

I'm more than 99% sure that when I send my brother to school he doesn't end up with a bullet wound.

I don't think more people have guns today (w/ rappers) than 50 years back (w/o rappers).

I don't listen to rap because I think it is 'cool' pirate, I just gerally like the style of music better. FYI, I generaly dislike very violent rappers such as 50 Cent. I'd much rather listen to someting like Nas, in fact one of the only rappers that I listen to that I would consider violent is Royce. I have to agree with NYYKing's post. One of my pet peeves is when everyone pins everything violent on Rap. Music today is violent in general. Fact is, if you want to get rid of rap, you have to get rid of a large perecnt of today's music. Don't pin the bad rep on rap because it is a different culture.

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/t/tupaclyric...babylyrics.html

http://www.lyricsdomain.com/18/royce_da_59/life.html

and

http://www.lyrics007.com/Three%20Days%20Gr...u%20Lyrics.html

Which is more constructive?

Archived