Tournament or League?  

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• League
    • Tournament

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before you consider signing up for a tournament or league consider these four things:

1) Have you ever played online before? If not it may be a good idea to get a few practice games in as soon as possible. You may need to iron out some things with regards to connection and gameplay.

2) Is your internet connection fast enough to play a game like this online? No one likes playing with lots of lag.

3) Do you play for fun or must you always win? Sure, everyone likes to win, but no one likes a poor sport. If you think that you may have a "power failure" after you give up the lead in a game or if your computer accidentally shuts off after your opponent hits a homer, please do not sign up.

4) Get used to playing baseball the way baseball is meant to be played. The pitching indicator, strike zone and hot/cold zones will most likely be turned off. Get used to pitching with these settings now. No one likes a "baller". For those of you that don't know, a baller is one that consistently throws balls to hitters. Sure you can sit there and take walks all day, but there is no fun in that. Furthermore, if you take the lead in the 7th, do not begin this routine either. It's bushleague!

If you can see if you can hook up with Fuzz for a game or two. He's one of the strongest, yet fairest players out there. He'll teach you the ropes quickly. Oh, and don't get discouraged if he beats you. I think he has lost 5 games lifetime.

camera angle question for those in power...what are you thinking we'd use? everyone seems to use hitter's eye...but even with hitters eye off...i hate hitters eye...but could deal with it. i just wish you could have the split angles like playing agaisnt the computer...how come that doesnt work?

also, would vibration be off?

stuckinasquare3, please post your challenges in the Multiplayer forum.

Let's try to keep this thread for tourney/league issues.

As for the camera angle, brtalley, that is TBD. I think for the sake of consistency and to avoid problems between players there should be a standard view. I think right now, the standard, out of the box view will be used for the sake of simplicity. That however, is only my opinion.

We could allow the 2 players to decide before the game, but what if they can't come to a conclusion? A standard view set out in the rules could fix this problem. I don't want to see complaints later on from one player saying he/she lost because they were not used to the view.

While the rules, settings and sliders have not yet been determined, it is safe to say now that if you agree to play in the tourney/league, you also agree to the rules, settings and sliders. So, if when these details are released you don't like them (not specifically you, brtalley, but everyone), please do not join.

4) Get used to playing baseball the way baseball is meant to be played. The pitching indicator, strike zone and hot/cold zones will most likely be turned off.

never could understand that, but never had a problem with it either.

But in today's baseball pitchers watch videos and get computer print outs of where to throw the ball on certain hitters. They are throwing to the cold zones, and if the pitchers does not know the hitter, then the manager gives the pitch to the catcher who relays it to the pitcher.

No one likes a "baller". For those of you that don't know, a baller is one that consistently throws balls to hitters. Sure you can sit there and take walks all day, but there is no fun in that. Furthermore, if you take the lead in the 7th, do not begin this routine either. It's bushleague!

You see real teams doing this too, if the batter will swing at anything they never get anything good to hit. Ballers did not bother me, fuzz use to do it to me all the time, I never walk and swing at everything. But I could hold my own with Fuzz

If you can see if you can hook up with Fuzz for a game or two. He's one of the strongest, yet fairest players out there. He'll teach you the ropes quickly. Oh, and don't get discouraged if he beats you. I think he has lost 5 games lifetime.

that boy use to run me to death, if a runner got a single he would be on 3rd before the play was over. Plus he would throw more balls than strikes. Maybe he has changed allot. It was still fun playing him and he only won like 65% of the time

never could understand that, but never had a problem with it either.

But in today's baseball pitchers watch videos and get computer print outs of where to throw the ball on certain hitters. They are throwing to the cold zones, and if the pitchers does not know the hitter, then the manager gives the pitch to the catcher who relays it to the pitcher.

I agree completely. Maybe we should then have the hot/cold zones set to fade, or maybe we should just leave it up to the players to scout their opponents before the game.

You see real teams doing this too, if the batter will swing at anything they never get anything good to hit. Ballers did not bother me, fuzz use to do it to me all the time, I never walk and swing at everything. But I could hold my own with Fuzz

You're right, pitcher's do like to pick the corners and I don't have a problem with that. I guess the problem is that you can have a guy throw 80% of his pitches low and away. Some may hit as strikes some may not. Which ones do you swing at? In the game we are talking about milimetres of difference between a ball and strike. It's a tough gamble if you swing. Even if you do and make contact chances are you won't be able to do much with it. You'll probably hit the ball off the end of the bat and foul out more often than not. Is it a good strategy, sure, but does it make the game enjoyable to play? I would say no.

Ok, we'll start with a few tourneys to get our feet wet and help weed out the flakes.

Carter and I are going to iron out the details this weekend. I have a nice tourney script in place. This should be a lot of fun.

Stay tuned.

Thanks for your input everyone.

The question is...when will it start?

As far as the tournaments go, we can probably start as soon as next week if we can get everything worked out this weekend.

The league will take a little more time to set up properly.

I suppose you don't, but I am sure it will help you and us if you are.

Plus, if and when the league starts I am sure that if there are a fixed number of spots available that they would be offered to the best of the players from the tournaments first. So if you don't play in a tourney you may lose out on the league... but this is all speculation at this point.

Archived