Voilà

Pirate

One of my biggest pet peeves is the misuse of words... or the creation of words that people believe to be correct, i.e. irregardless. The word is regardless. Irregardless would be without without regard, a double negative, but I digress.

Voilà is a European term used to announce something. It is not spelled Wah Lah or Walla it is Voilà. So please can we get this right before I rip out my eyebrows?

So please can we get this right before I rip out my eyebrows?

That would be painful. Plus it could hinder your great stadium work. ;)

But I'm in the exact same boat with you; I can't stand it when people use "there" instead of "their" and such.

Anyways, I'm going to get back to my boring essay on social inequality. :x

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a thread I found that I've always wanted.

My word is Pet Peeve. Not so much a mis used word, just a word that is used that I absolutely can not stand.

Why would you name your pet Peeve? :o)

Why would you call it "You know what Peeves me off?"

I just would rather people say it all out, "You know what gets me?"

"You know what makes me mad?"

The word Pet Peeve is my Pet Peeve. How ironic.

Since I'm here - the phrase "tell me about it". If I'm discussing something with you and you say "tell me about it", well, I already am telling you about it!

Numerous other corny double-barrelled words get my goat as well.

(The phrase "get my goat" also pisses me off. Ironic. :D)

• 2 weeks later...

Bad uses of Homonyms:

One that I was reminded of today: "You need to learn some patients at the plate."

One I saw in a short story: "The textbooks were a hard sell to most principles. Teachers wanted them, but administration didn't."

One I saw on a message board: "That doesn't make since."

Should be: Patience, principals and sense.

--Eric

:lmao: :lol: Finally! People who may actually understand the proper usage of the English language!

Here ARE the ones that **** me off:

-Irregardless (or its various other letter combinations...).. Kind of sounds like finger nails on a chalk board to me

-It's... as a possessive... (if "IT is" something, "it's" = acceptible. If something belongs to "IT", "its" = correct!)

-Orientated.... eww! You cannot be "orientated" towards one thing or another, it is not a word! You can, however, be "ORIENTED" towards one thing or another.

-Heard this one on Sesame Street one day as a kid: Big Bird: "There IS five red blocks in this box". (Cringe) "IS" in this case is singular! You cannot use that word to describe multiple items! The appropriate phrase would be "There ARE five red...."

:morons:

And here is one for the Homonyms guy:

-Piers Anthony books (Isle of Xanth novel series) read by a kid before completing grade 10!

Archived