Yet Another Devil Rays Dynasty :D

sfgiantsflgators

[align=center]sfgiantsflgators' TAMPA BAY DEVIL RAYS DYNASTY[/align]

I did a Royals dynasty last year on Dynasty Manager and got burnt out from writing up the articles and updating stats. But since I enjoyed the minor aspects of it, I'm going to try again this year - but without the flash and such.

I chose the D-Rays, even though about 1000 other people have to, because of the youth...and a man named Kazmir. Hopefully people will enjoy this.

This is the setup:

Mod: Livin' Large with UR 6.5

Level: Pro with custom sliders (posted below - all not mentioned are at 0)

User Pitch Meter Difficulty -50

CPU Pitcher Ball Rate 10

User Pitcher Fatigue -5

CPU Pitcher Fatigue 30

User Pitch Control -50

CPU Pitch Control -15

Bullpen Fatigue Grace 10

CPU Bat Contact 5

User Bat Power -5

CPU Bat Power 3

User/CPU Fout Frequency 50

CPU Swing Frequency -16

User/CPU OF Speed -5

User/CPU INF Speed -15

User/CPU Throw Speed -10

User Throw Accuracy -2

CPU Throw Accuracy -5

User/CPU Catch Error 4

CPU Catch Effort -20

User/CPU Runner Aggresion 8

User/CPU Runner Steal Speed -2

User/CPU Steal Delay -8

CPU Steal Rate 10

The roster sets up like this:

Pitchers

SP - Scott Kazmir

SP - Casey Fossum

SP - Mark Hendrickson

SP - Seth McClung

SP - Doug Waechter

LRP - Scott Dunn

MRP - Jason Childers

MRP - Travis Harper

MRP - Brian Meadows

SU - Shawn Camp

CL - Dan Miceli

Catchers

Toby Hall

Josh Paul

Infielders

1B - Travis Lee

2B - Jorge Cantu

2B - Nick Green

3B - Aubrey Huff

3B - Ty Wiggington

SS - Julio Lugo

Outfielders

LF - Carl Crawford

CF - Rocco Baldelli

CF - Joey Gathright

RF - Jonny Gomes

RF - Damon Hollins

Utility

Russell Branyon

The lineup is the same with a lefty or right on the mound - obviously when playing an NL team, the DH is out:

SS - Lugo

LF - Crawford

2B - Cantu

3B - Huff

CF - Baldelli

RF - Gomes

1B - Lee

C - Hall

DH - Gathright

To shore up some empty positions in the minors, I signed a few guys out of free agency (a few of which are "fake" because the real wanted MLB contracts). They are:

1B Mike Hughes (AAA), RF Jim Martinez (AA), 3B Marco Rivera (A), and CF Chief Duff (A).

Here are my "goals" for the dynasty:

mvp200520060613153223827eq.png

I'd like to move the rotation around a bit as starters 1-3 are lefty and I'd like a righty to switch it up more. If McClung or Waechter jump out to a big start, I'll probably move one of them up.

I usually play the first game of a series and attempt to win at least one game per. If I lose the first game I'll play the second and hopefully won't have to play the third. :D The games I play I'm going to attempt to use the Box Score Extractor that was released awhile back as well as throw in major happenings from the game. League wide signings of major importance will also be noted. Well, let's play ball! :D

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 3, 2006

Rays Win Opener Big After O's Bullpen Implodes

43end9yu.png

The Orioles and Devil Rays battled back and forth today through the first six innings of a hotly contested season opener. Each time the Rays scored in the top of an inning, the Orioles would answer with the tying runs in the bottom half.

Things would start to change in the seventh. Orioles reliever Chris Ray came in after a Carl Crawford double off Lopez scored Joey Gathright for the Rays' fifth run of the contest. Ray would allow two more runs that inning giving the Rays their biggest lead of the day, 7-3.

The Orioles would get one back in the bottom of the inning off Rays reliever Shawn Camp, on a fielder's choice RBI from Javy Lopez. Then it fell apart for the O's.

In the eighth, Ray allowed Travis Lee to lead off with a double. Ray then gave up another double to Toby Hall that scored Lee, followed by a two run homerun by Joey Gathright that put the nail in the Orioles coffin. The Rays would add one more in the frame and Camp would finish the game to preserve the win for Kazmir and pick up his first save of the year.

Scoring

T1: Huff 2-run HR

B1: Patterson 2-run HR

T3: Cantu sacrifice fly to left, Lugo scores

B3: Tejada single scores Roberts

T5: Hall sacrifice fly to center, Crawford scores

B5: Hernandez single scores Tejada

T7: Crawford double scores Gathright; Cantu single scores Crawford; Baldelli sacrifice fly to center scores Cantu

B7: Lopez grounds into fielder's choice, scores Patterson

T8: Hall double scores Lee; Gathright 2-run HR; Cantu single scores Crawford

W - Kazmir (1-0) L - Lopez (0-1) S - Camp (1)

Players of the Game:

Carl Crawford 4-6, 3 2Bs, RBI, SB

Aubrey Huff 3-4, HR, 3 RBIs

Rays sweep Orioles to Open Season

After opening the season with an 11-5 win, the Rays continued their fortune with a 2-1 win in game two of the series. Casey Fossum went 8.1 innings allowing only one run. Closer Dan Miceli earned his first save of the young season.

In game three of the series, the Rays finished the sweep with a 4-2 win but lost RP Travis Harper in the process with a minor PCL sprain. He is expected to miss 8 days. Miceli got his second save.

League Transactions

CWS sign Roger Clemens to a one-year deal worth $10.8 million

Good luck, avngres. This is a good team to try one with. Lets see if yours is a little more realsitic that the 75-18 start of the other D-rays dynasty.

i usually get pretty good results with these sliders in my dynasties (went about .600 with the royals last year after adding Noah Lowry and Wily Mo Pena). pretty happy with the good start against the orioles - i was hoping to take at least 2 of 3 against the mediocre club.

the first game worried me because they kept coming back - but when Ray came in the flood gates opened. :D

April 8, 2006

Rays Continue Hot Hitting and Fight Off Late Inning Comeback

48e5uj.png

The Jays opened up the scoring in the bottom of the second but the Devil Rays answered with 13 straight runs and held on to win their fourth straight contest of the season.

Blue Jays' catcher Benji Molina drew first blood with a sacrifice fly to left that scored Shea Hillenbrand. After that Rays' starter Seth McClung slammed the door and made it to the ninth before being lifted for reliever Shawn Camp.

The Rays' offense was lead today by DH Joey Gathright and cather Toby Hall as each drove in three runs a piece. Also adding three RBIs of his own was third bagger Aubrey Huff who hit his second jack of the year in the seventh inning.

The Blue Jays fought back in the ninth with five runs on a solo shot by Lyle Overbay and doubles by Alex Rios and Reed Johnson. It was too little too late though as the Jays fell 13-6.

Scoring

B2 - Molina sacrifice fly to left scores Hillenbrand

T4 - Hall two-run single scores Huff and Baldelli; Gathright double scores Lee

T6 - Gomes double scores Baldelli; Hall sacrifice fly foul to left scores Gomes

T7 - Huff three-run HR

T8 - Lugo single scores Gathright; Crawford single scores Lugo; Cantu single scores Crawford

T9 - Gathright triple scores Lee and Hall

B9 - Overbay solo HR; Rios double scores Adams and Hill; Johnson double scores Catalanotto and Negron

W - McClung (1-0) L - Towers (0-1)

Players of the Game:

Toby Hall 3-4, 2B, 3 RBI

Joey Gathright 4-5, 2B, 3 RBI, 2 SB

Major Injury Report:

Blue Jays' RF Alex Rios left the game in the ninth after a two RBI double - it was reported after the game that he tore his MCL and will miss the rest of the season.

Tampa Bay Takes Series but Suffers First Loss of Season

The Devil Rays were able to take game two of the three game set against the Blue Jays 9-2 with a six run seventh inning. Featured in the inning was a homerun by Jorge Cantu off Jays' reliever Francisco Rosario, who allowed three earned runs in 1.1 innings. Starter Gustavo Chacin allowed six in six innings. Rays starter Doug Waechter pitched six innings for the win and Brian Meadows survived the last three to get his first save of the season.

In game three the Rays went up against Blue Jays ace Roy Halladay. Tampa Bay also had their ace, Scott Kazmir going but neither starter would get a win. The Blue Jays jumped out early on Vernon Wells first homerun of the season but Tampa Bay answered with an RBI single from Aubrey Huff. Toronto scored two in the bottom of the eighth to take a 4-2 lead but the bullpen wouldn't hold as the Devil Rays tied it in the ninth on a two RBI double by Josh Paul, who was in to give regular catcher Toby Hall a day off. Toronto wouldn't be swept though as Toronto's catcher Greg Zahn drove in his first RBI of the season off Shawn Camp, giving the Jays the 5-4 win.

League News

CHC pitcher Kerry Wood was suspended for 5 games after hitting Braves' right fielder Jeff Francour with a pitch in the seventh inning of Saturday's game. Warnings had been issued earlier in the game.

April 10, 2006

Rays Win Home Opener on Back of Fossum

410end4xd.png

Casey Fossum entered the game with an ERA of 1.08 - and it dropped half a run when this game was over.

Fossum's first outing of the season came against the Orioles in Baltimore and he lasted 8.1 innings, unable to finish the complete game after getting into trouble in bottom of the ninth. Today, he finished what he started.

The Ray's gave Fossum his first run of support in the bottom of the second on a sacrifice fly to right by Travis Lee. They would add the only other run he would need in the bottom of the next inning when right fielder Jonny Gomes doubled in Jorge Cantu.

The Orioles got their only run of the game in the seventh when Melvin Mora hit a sacrifice fly to center, scoring Corey Patterson who reached on an error and making the only O's run of the game unearned.

Scoring

B2 - Lee sacrifice fly to right scores Baldelli

B3 - Gomes double scores Cantu

B5 - Huff solo HR

T7 - Mora sacrifice fly to center scores Patterson

W - Fossum (2-0) L - Lopez (0-2)

Players of the Game:

Jonny Gomes 2-4, 2B, RBI

Casey Fossum 9.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 3 SO

Rays, Orioles Split Home Opening Series at Tampa Bay

The Rays' early season fortunes ended during games two and three of the four game opening series at Tampa this week as they were outscored 29-7 during the two games.

Game two saw the Orioles get their first win of the year in a 20-4 drubbing of the Devil Rays. The game remained within reach for the Rays until the sixth inning when Baltimore scored 6 to take a 12-4 lead. They added two more in the seventh and dropped another six in the ninth to send Tampa to their second loss of the season.

The Orioles continued their hot hitting in the third game with a 9-3 win putting them in position to hand Tampa Bay their first series loss of the young season.

In game four however, the Rays shut the door with a 7-0 win with their 1-5 hitters driving in four of the seven. Starter Doug Waechter drove his record to 2-0 with a 6.1 inning performance in which he allowed five hits and struck out three.

April 14, 2006

Gomes Drives Everyone Home to End Unlikely Pitcher's Duel

414end6fp.png

Before watching the game, most wouldn't have guessed that the game would end 1-0. Mark Redman was on the hill for Kansas City and rookie phenom Scott Kazmir went for the Rays.

Both pitchers established themselves early and after the third inning it was becoming apparent that runs would be at a premium today. Kazmir was the first to get in trouble when, in the fifth inning, the Royals got their first runner past second but were stifled by two straight stikeouts by the 22-year old.

The Rays would threaten themselves in the bottom of the inning with back to back singles by Gomes and Lee, but Redman did a little stifling of his own.

Finally, in the ninth inning, Jonny Gomes decided that this was not the night for extra innings. With one out, he drove a Redman slider into the left field seats to make the score 1-0 and give the Rays their second straight win.

For boxscore, click here

Scoring

B9: Gomes solo HR

W - Kazmir (2-0) L - Redman (1-1)

Players of the Game:

Jonny Gomes 2-4, HR, RBI

Scott Kazmir 9.0 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 5 SO

Rays Settle For Two of Three as Royals Avoid Sweep

The second game of this series began to look like the first as both pitchers threw shutouts until the fourth inning. The Royals got their first run of the series on an RBI double by Reggie Sanders off starter Casey Fossum - his first earned run since his first start of the season.

The Rays didn't waste time taking control back though when, in the bottom half of the inning, they dropped a seven spot featuring two-run homeruns by Jorge Cantu (his third of the year) and Carl Crawford (his first). That was all they would need on their way to a 7-2 win.

Going for the sweep, the Rays sent out Mark Hendrickson (0-1) and the Royals countered with Runelvys Hernandez (0-0). The Royals struck first in the second inning but the Rays answered in the third. The game remained 1-1 until the seventh when the Royals scored two, one of which on a solo shot by Matt Stairs. The Royals added two more in the eighth to fight off the Rays and a sweep, 5-1.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

League Transactions

ARI signs 1B Rafael Palmeiro to a one year deal worth $2.8 million.

yeah, i felt pretty bad for the Jays - i didn't even notice him do anything to cause it. he hit a double in the ninth then it said he was injured.

as for Negron, i don't know - i'm using the most recent UR (6.5, i believe). but those crazy CPU GMs...never know who they're going to sign or call up.

(just looked and it is UR 6.5 - Negron is on the AA New Hampshire team...guess no one caught it on the UR updates yet)

April 18, 2006

Rays Hold Off Late Charge by the Sox to Take Series Opener

418end7mv.png

A five run ninth gave the Rays a little insurance against the powerful Red Sox tonight - and they would need a good portion of it to hold on for the win.

Early in the game, it appeared that the Red Sox would walk away with this one. They jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the fourth on a two run homerun by Big Papi; the first in a game that would see five total homeruns.

The D-Rays would finally get on the board in the fifth, first on a triple by Julio Lugo, scoring Toby Hall. The next batter, Carl Crawford, drove Lugo and himself in with a two run homerun to right, tying the score at 3-3.

Tampa Bay added another in the top of the sixth to take a their first lead of the game - but the Red Sox took it back in the bottom of the inning on a two run Trot Nixon homerun. Then the Rays started to take control.

After adding a run a piece in the seventh and eighth innings, Tampa Bay went to work off Sox reliever Mike Timlin. Rocco Baldelli started the scoring with a single and Jonny Gomes added a three run homerun, chasing Timlin from the game. Two batters later, Toby Hall hit a blast of his own, a solo shot off Rudy Saenez.

Boston, of course, wouldn't go down without a fight. Manny decided to be Manny and drove in two runs with a single off the monster. Jason Veritek added another run with a single to right. The Sox would bring up the winning run in the form of pinch hitter J.T. Snow, hitting for Kevin Youkilis, with the bases loaded. Snow grounded out to first to end the threat.

For boxscore, click here

Scoring

B2: Youkilis double scores Lowell

B3: Ortiz two run HR

T5: Lugo triple scores Hall; Crawford two run HR

T6: Gomes double scores Baldelli

B6: Nixon two run HR

T7: Crawford scores on Mike Lowell throwing error

T8: Gathright double scores Hall

T9: Baldelli single scores Cantu; Gomes three run HR; Hall solo HR

B9: Ramirez single scores Gonzalez, Cora; Veritek single scores Ortiz

W - Camp (1-1) L - Beckett (1-1)

Players of the Game:

Jonny Gomes 3-5, 2B, HR, 4 RBI

Carl Crawford 3-6, 3B, HR, 2 RBI

Game Notes:

Carl Crawford was a double short of the cycle...Red Sox manager Terry Francona was ejected in the 5th after arguing a play at first

yeah, i felt pretty bad for the Jays - i didn't even notice him do anything to cause it. he hit a double in the ninth then it said he was injured.

as for Negron, i don't know - i'm using the most recent UR (6.5, i believe). but those crazy CPU GMs...never know who they're going to sign or call up.

(just looked and it is UR 6.5 - Negron is on the AA New Hampshire team...guess no one caught it on the UR updates yet)

Probably it happened after UR 6.5 came out. I did tell Totte about it.

Rays Take Advantage of Struggling Wells, Take Series

Game two of the series saw Doug Waechter face off against Matt Clement - and neither would get past the second inning.

Waechter was the first to go after lasting only one inning - in which he gave up four hits and seven earned runs. Clement then followed suit in the second after giving up four in the frame. Tampa Bay would tie the game at 8, in the eighth, on an RBI double by Carl Crawford. It would take extras to decide it and, in the tenth inning, Big Papi came up big yet again, off Travis Harper with an RBI single to center, scoring Coco Crisp

The Sox set struggling David Wells out in the rubber match of the series to face the Rays Scott Kazmir. Wells' ERA would take another pounding with a seven earned run performance, over the course of 4.1 innings, upping his ERA to 12.54. Kazmir himself was off, giving up four earned in 3.2 innings, but the Rays bullpen allowed only one run over the last 5.1 innings, giving the previous night's loser, Travis Harper, his first win of the season.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

Injury Report:

C Toby Hall will miss 9 days with a strained ribcage, suffered in the 9-8 extra inning loss to Boston

League Injuries:

OAK P Joe Blanton is out for 51 days with a concussion

my batting might be camera 4 - i'll have to check on that later. as for pitching, it's camera 6 (the one behind the pitcher)

feel free to give the sliders a shot - they are basically the same ones i used last year but i'm still happy with them. getting pretty well played games.

on a seperate note, i wish this stupid game wouldn't call errors on outfielders on basehits that they bobble but no one moves up a base - Baldelli is getting screwed as his fielding percentage right now is .900. friggin ridiculous...

Archived