55end1ph.png

Scoring

B1: Chavez single scores Kotsay

B2: Scutaro three run HR

T3: Baldelli sacrifice fly scores Crawford

T5: Crawford single scores Upton; Baldelli single scores Crawford

B6: Kotsay single scores Scutaro

B7: Swisher fielder's choice scores Chavez

W - Loaiza (3-0) L - Hendrickson (0-3) S - Duchscherer (4)

Player of the Game:

Rocco Baldelli 2-3, 2 RBI

Marco Scutaro 2-4, HR, 3 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Street Gets First Save Of The Year Against Former Team But Oakland Takes Series

The newest Devil Ray was able to get his first save of the year in game two of the series - and it came against his former team. Oakland would get the last laugh though as they handed Scott Kazmir his first loss of the season and took the series two games to one.

Tampa used small ball to get it's only win of the series in a 3-2 win. The Rays had only two extra base hits in the contest. Rookie B.J. Upton doubled in what would be the deciding run in the fifth inning and Huston Street faced the minimum in the ninth to get his first save of the year - against the team that traded him just days ago.

In the final game of the series, Scott Kazmir went up against a former young prospect in Rich Harden. Harden has pitched well all year entering the game with a 5-1 record and a sub three ERA. Kazmir only gave up two runs in six innings, but Harden answered with one earned in seven to grab his sixth win of the year.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

Rays Notes:

Jorge Cantu was suspended 5 games following an altercation on May 6th. Cantu had words for pitcher Barry Zito after being hit in the 5th inning.

League Suspensions:

OAK P Rich Harden was suspended for 6 games after hitting two batters in yesterday's game. This came in apparent response to the previous day's game when two Devil Rays and one Athletic was hit. No word on if fines will be issued to those involved.

League Injuries:

NYY P Carl Pavano will be out at least a month with a hernia.

League Transactions:

DET signs RF Juan Gonzalez. Specifics of the deal were not released at the time of print.

Tampa GM Speaks Out About Bean War

In an interview given with ESPN last night, the GM of the Devil Rays made no qualms about pointing a finger at the A's following the beanings that took place in the last couple days.

When asked about retaliations (as the two teams play six more times this year), sfgiantsflgators responded with these comments:

"You know, I can handle hitting a guy if one of yours gets hit - and I know our skipper feels the same way. But after you hit mine, and I hit yours, it's over. But apparently they don't think so. [Rich] Harden deserves every day he got - that was bush league. But we'll see - we play them a few more times I understand. Not saying anything's going to happen - just looking foward to the matchup."

When asked how he felt about Jorge Cantu's suspension, sfgiantsflgators said that he agreed with it; and that Cantu was wrong for moving towards Zito.

Unfortunately fans have to wait until August 11th when the Rays go back to Oakland. Then the A's come to Tampa for a three game set in September. Something to keep an eye on.

May 8, 2006

Tampa Rides To A Win On Back Of Casey Fossum

58end6ew.png

Scoring

T1: Huff two run single scores Gathright, Crawford

B3: Everett double scores Ichiro

T4: Baldelli solo HR

T7: Gathright double scores Upton

B8: Huff solo HR

W - Fossum (4-2) L - Meche (2-4)

Player of the Game:

Casey Fossum 9.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 SO

Aubrey Huff 2-4, HR, 3 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

Night Of Firsts Give Tampa Series Win

Following game two of the series, many thought the Rays would be too down to get the much needed win. But two firsts - one season, and one career - gave them the lift they needed.

Game two saw a decent pitcher's duel as both starters allowed only two runs a piece. Unfortunately for the Rays, the Mariners pen was just a bit better on this night. The teams battled to a 2-2 tie until the 12th when an RBI double by Richie Sexon sent Ichiro scampering across the plate for the win.

Game three started like most of Mark Hendrickson's other starts this year - with him giving up an early run to put the opposing team up. His offense wouldn't let their teammate flounder today though as two four run innings, in the fourth and fifth, gave Hendrickson all he needed for his first win of the season. Devil Rays prospect Delmon Young, called up after a trade sent Jonny Gomes to the A's, got his first major league homerun as well in the contest.

The win today put the Rays one game up on the Yankees in the AL East.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

Rays notes:

2B Luis Rivas was called up from AAA Durham after today's game. 3B Ty Wiggington was sent down.

League Injuries:

NYY P Jaret Wright was placed on the 15 day DL with a minor ACL sprain.

May 12, 2006

Everyone Hitting As Jays Bash Devil Rays, 15-2

512end7gw.png

Scoring

T4: Hill three run HR

B4: Huff sacrifice fly scores Crawford

B5: Gathright double scores Upton

T6: Hill three run HR

T8: Catalanotto two run HR

T9: Catalanotto sacrifice fly scores Molina; Wells triple scores Overbay, Hill; Glaus single scores Wells; Adams double scores Glaus, Hillenbrand, Hinske

W - Chacin (3-2) L - Waechter (3-2)

Players of the Game:

Aaron Hill 4-5, 2 HR, 6 RBI

Frank Catalanotto 4-5, 2B, HR, 3 RBI

Russ Adams 4-6, 2 2B, 3 RBI

Game Notes:

All Blue Jays got a hit...All but one scored a run (Overbay)...Rays reliever Shawn Camp gave up eight hits and seven earned runs in 1.0 innings (the ninth)

For Boxscore, click here

Devil Rays Active Again - Get Cain, Mench

Mickey Brown

Following the beating handed down by division rival Toronto, the Devil Rays answered with a flurry of roster movement - including two trades.

In a deal with San Francisco, the Rays moved one of their hottest hitters, Joey Gathright, along with pitcher Doug Waechter and second bagger Luis Rivas. In return, the Rays picked up two young fireballers in Matt Cain and Jeremy Accardo, and young second base prospect Kevin Frandsen.

SF

Joey Gathright

Doug Waechter

Luis Rivas

TB

Matt Cain

Jeremy Accardo

Luis Rivas

Hours later, the Devil Rays invited the Texas Rangers into the mix when they traded second baseman Nick Green and struggling starter Mark Hendrickson to Texas for outfielder Kevin Mench.

TEX

Nick Green

Mark Hendrickson

TB

Kevin Mench

Tampa GM released a statement earlier today regarding the recent movement:

"We felt that, as a team, we were still missing a few pieces. This wasn't a response to last night's loss - this was a full fledged attempt to get to where we want to be...a contender in this tough division.

Joey [Gathright] will be sorely missed - he provided such a spark to this lineup. But we wanted a little more from our DH position in the way of power and there just wasn't any room for him in the outfield - that's where we believe Kevin [Mench] will fit in. But we did need pitching - and Matt Cain has been first on our list since his debut last year. Doug [Waechter] and Mark [Hendrickson] have had struggles this year but I believe they will turn it around with a change in scenery.

I am really excited about adding Jeremy [Accardo] to the bullpen and we look to him to straighten our late inning relief situation out. We feel that, even though he's young, he will be a great setup man for Huston [street]."

Only time will tell if the trades will work out, but this reporter has mixed feelings on the issue. The acquisition of Cain and Mench are solid, but will Accardo pan out? Did the Rays give up too much in Gathright? Let's hope for the best Rays fans.

Mickey Brown has been a reporter for D-Rays News since the introduction of the franchise. Comments, questions should be directed to mbrown@rays-news.com

Not bad but some of it makes no sense? Hinske can't hit lefties. Hillenbrand at 1B instead of Overbay? Overbay is a much better fielder. Negron on the big league roster? He's in AA and is stinking up the joint batting around .200 last I checked. Oh well I guess Negron is over-rated in the roster you used. Really if Rios were injured probably John-Ford Griffin would be recalled. Maybe even Rob Cosby who is playing third and left-field in AAA. Griffin is on the DL so it probably wouldn't be him.

Rays Notes:

Edwin Jackson and Damon Hollins were called up from AAA Durham. Shawn Camp designated for assignment.

League Injuries:

SF LF Barry Bonds will miss a month with a fractured right kneecap.

STL P Sidney Ponson will miss at least two months with a torn PCL in his right knee.

New Rays Pitching Rotation:

Scott Kazmir

Casey Fossum

Seth McClung

Matt Cain

Edwin Jackson

New Rays Batting Order:

Upton SS

Crawford RF

Cantu 2B

Huff 3B

Baldelli CF

Mench DH

Lee 1B

Kendall C

Young LF

Lineup is the same for righty or lefty. When playing a national league team, it's the same order - minus Mench.

Not bad but some of it makes no sense? Hinske can't hit lefties. Hillenbrand at 1B instead of Overbay? Overbay is a much better fielder. Negron on the big league roster? He's in AA and is stinking up the joint batting around .200 last I checked. Oh well I guess Negron is over-rated in the roster you used. Really if Rios were injured probably John-Ford Griffin would be recalled. Maybe even Rob Cosby who is play third and left-field in AAA. Griffin is on the DL so it probably wouldn't be him.

gotta love those computer GMs man - that's why they should take the "CPU optimize roster" button off...god forbid someone accidentially hits it...take a week to sort it out.

gotta love those computer GMs man - that's why they should take the "CPU optimize roster" button off...god forbid someone accidentially hits it...take a week to sort it out.

The CPU will optimize your roster after spring training, be warned.

I like this one. Much more realistic than 8ball whooping everyone with the D-Rays.

thanks man - i follow 8ball's as well. in fact, i got a good chunk of my layout from him. i enjoy his and understand that he doesn't want to mess with the sliders much - to each his own. i spent a good chunk of last year moving mine around so i know how much of a pain it is - but i'm very happy with where they're at now.

Rays Swept As Bullpen Continues To Struggle

Game two of the series was a battle of aces - Toronto's Roy Halladay and Tampa's Scott Kazmir. Kazmir was effective going 6.2 innings, giving up three runs on eight hits, and striking out eight. Halladay was almost untouchable though as he went the complete route giving up five hits and two runs, also striking out eight.

Game three also started out as a battle of number two's with A.J. Burnett hurling for the Jays and Casey Fossum for the Rays. Fossum would leave the contest down 2-1, with Fossum striking out nine in 6.2 innings. The Devil Rays would only be in it for awhile though as, in the eighth, the bullpen imploded yet again. Relievers Travis Harper and Jason Childers combined for five runs in the frame and the Jays walked out of Tampa with the sweep, 7-1.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

May 16, 2006

McClung's First Loss Means Fourth Straight For Rays

516end2lk.png

Scoring

T3: Uribe solo HR; Iguchi solo HR; Fullmer sacrifice fly scores Konerko; Mackowiak three run HR

B3: Young double scores Kendall

T4: Iguchi solo HR

B4: Mench two run HR

T6: Iguchi single scores Widger

T9: Fullmer sacrifice fly scores Gload

W - Vazquez (2-2) L - McClung (3-1)

Players of the Game:

Tadahito Iguchi 4-5, 2 HR, 3 RBI

Game Notes:

Jermaine Dye left the game in the sixth with an apparent shoulder injury. No word yet on the status of the injury.

For Boxscore, click here

Cain, Jackson Rays Debuts Spoiled By Pen - Rays Swept Again

The Devil Rays have lost six straight games now following the series sweep handed down by the White Sox.

The lastest victims of the Devil Rays bullpen were Matt Cain and Edwin Jackson. Cain was recently acquired in a trade with San Francisco in an effort to bolster the starting staff for the Rays. Cain struggled in his first start with the Rays but left the game tied 5-5, giving the Rays a chance to break their four game skid. The bullpen faultered yet again as Travis Harper gave up three earned in the sixth, giving the Sox all they would need for the win.

Fighting to prevent the sweep was Edwin Jackson, newly called up from AAA Durham - and the task was great as he faced off against Sox ace, Mark Buehrle. Jackson was up to task though as he outdueled Buehrle, both going 5.2 innings with Jackson giving up three runs to Buehrle's five. Reliever Dan Miceli would put an end to Jackson's chance at a debut win though when he'd give up three runs in 2/3 of a inning, allowing the Sox to take game three and hand the Rays their sixth straight loss.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

League Injuries:

CWS Jermaine Dye out at least a month - maybe 2 - with a torn right shoulder muscle, suffered in the series opener on May 16th.

League Transactions:

OAK trades C Adam Melhuse to BOS for RP Mike Timlin

Archived