Scoring

T2: Pena solo HR

T4: Baldelli solo HR

B4: Greene single scores Morneau

T7: Hall single scores Baldelli; Young double scores Lee

T8: Baldelli single scores Cantu

W - Lowry (12-5) L - Santana (7-7)

Game Notes:

MIN 2B Jason Bartlett was ejected in the bottom of the fifth after charging Noah Lowry following a hit by pitch...Johan Santana left the game after getting the last out in the seventh holding his wrist. No word on the extent of the injury.

Players of the Game:

Rocco Baldelli 3-4, HR, 2 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

Twins Win Final Three Games To Take Four Game Series From Tampa Bay

Having just seen Noah Lowry out pitch Johan Santana in the series opener, the Devil Rays had to feel good about their chance to win the series. Apparently the Twins didn't get that memo.

In game two, the Twins jumped all over Rays pitcher Matt Cain, scoring seven times in five innings. Twins pitcher Brad Radke allowed four in five innings, before Juan Rincon came on for the final four innings and allowed no runs on just two hits to get his fourth save.

Game three saw two young phenoms go head to head in Scott Kazmir and Francisco Liriano. Kazmir has pitched very well this year sporting a 11-3 record. Liriano has had some struggles but entered the game even at 5-5. Liriano would be better on this day though allowing just three hits over seven shutout innings. Kazmir went six allowing eight hits and three runs, keeping the Rays in the game. In the seventh inning though, Kazmir was relieved by Dan Smith, who allowed three runs before being pulled with two outs in the frame. The Twins went on to win 6-2. It wasn't all good news for the Twins though as Liriano left the game in the eighth with a broken hand. He is expected to be out 6-8 weeks.

In the final game, the Rays sent Casey Fossum (11-6) out to salvage a series tie. The Twins sent Kyle Loshe in opposition. It didn't take long for the Twins to pound their way to victory, taking an 8-2 lead after four innings. Both teams would add three more and the Twins took the series with an 11-5 win.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

Game 4 Boxscore

League Suspensions:

TEX RP Francisco Cordero was suspended for eight games.

League Injuries:

MIN SP Johan Santana will miss his next start as a precaution with minor wrist tendonitis.

MIN SP Francisco Liriano will miss at least 6-8 weeks with a broken hand.

MIL SP Edwin Jackson will miss his next start with an inflamed pitching shoulder.

League Transactions:

PIT trades SP John Van Benschoten to SF for RF Moises Alou.

FLA trades C Josh Willingham and 1B Mike Jacobs to NYY for RP Julian Tavarez and 2B Robinson Cano.

see, that's the flaw in the system though - i have yet to see a trade approved that the computer didn't make money. if the salaries aren't balanced in their favor, it won't go through. i've even had trade proposals, that were sent to me, denied because the players they picked were over the salary for the players they are trading away.

now, if you're trading with David Glass, that's realistic. if you're trading with the majority of teams, the balance of the talent is more important. like i said, i'm not trading a 10 mil guy for a 100K prospect. if i get the salaries within the 1-2 mil range (not always with the cheaper end on my side), and i believe the talent is balanced and/or matches the proposal i was given (if any), i pull the trigger.

i didnt have this problem. I remember making a deal w/ the CPU in Dynasty where i sent over a 5 mill dollar contract for someone who made like 2 mill

i didnt have this problem. I remember making a deal w/ the CPU in Dynasty where i sent over a 5 mill dollar contract for someone who made like 2 mill

lol...well i wish i knew your secret because since i bought the game last year, i have yet to see the computer accept a trade in which they didn't make money.

With Trade Deadline Looming, Arizona Shopping Thome

The Associated Press reported earlier today that the Arizona Diamondbacks are trying to unload Jim Thome before the July 31st trade deadline.

Arizona acquired Thome in a deal with the Chicago White Sox that sent starting pitcher Brandon Webb to the windy city earlier this year. With the Diamondbacks in last place in the NL West, 15 games behind the San Diego Padres, Arizona is looking to bring youth into the organization. They are reportedly looking for two position players and a starter, all major league ready.

They have already received calls from the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Devil Rays.

July 21, 2006

Sheets Falls Short Of Perfection In Rays Win

621end1wk.png

Scoring

B6: Huff three run HR

B7: Cash two run HR

W - Sheets (9-5) L - Chen (3-10)

Game Notes:

Ben Sheets was perfect through seven innings until Melvin Mora hit a bloop single to lead off the eighth. Benito Santiago added a pinch hit single in the ninth for the Orioles only two hits.

Players of the Game:

Ben Sheets 9.0 IP, 2 H, 7 SO

Aubrey Huff 2-4, HR, 3 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

most of the trade acceptance criteria is based on ratings.. they won't take on a large salary unless it improves their team significantly

i'll buy that - that's probably a very good explaination for the system.

i do remember that in my giants dynasty last year, i tried to trade schmidt to tampa for one of their outfielders - would have taken baldelli, crawford, or gathright. well they wouldn't do it because the salary was quite a bit over. instead i got baldelli for reuter and a couple other players because the salary ended up being 100K high on my side.

it's not like i never trade with budgets on here - i always start with them on and then, if a deal gets rejected that i honestly think benefits both sides, i turn it off and go for it. hopefully that doesn't make you guys stop following :D

Please get Thome!

Really enjoying this dynasty..great job man :)

glad you enjoy it.

as for thome, it's not looking promising because i'm getting picky about who i'd give up. none of my top pitchers are going...and neither are crawford, baldelli, young, huff, or upton.

before the yankees series (if thome is still on the block) which is two days before the deadline, i might try something packaging Wily Mo Pena - if i could get thome, i'd be alright with letting him go since all Pena does is DH. if that doesn't work, i'll probably just stick with the team for the playoff run.

Rays Drop Second Straight Series

Too bad Ben Sheets can't pitch everyday for the Devil Rays...

Following Sheets phenomenal outing, the Rays hoped to take at least one more from the last place O's. Sending Noah Lowry and Matt Cain, fans felt pretty good about taking the series.

In game two, Lowry faced off against Hayden Penn, who was making his first start of the year. Penn pitched wonderfully, going five shutout innings, allowing only four hits. Lowry, on the other hand, was uncharacterically off. Surviving only 2.2 innings in which he allowed four runs on three hits, Lowry suffered his sixth loss of the season as the O's went on to win 6-1.

The rubber match saw Cain go up against the Orioles' ace, Kris Benson. Cain kept the Rays in the game, allowing only three earned, matching Benson's output. However, an error in the fourth by Aubrey Huff allowed the Orioles to score what would prove to be the winning run as they took the final game, and the series, 6-3.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

League Transactions:

LAD trade SP D.J. Houlton and SS David Eckstein to CLE for SP Abe Alvarez and CF Grady Sizemore.

PIT trades RF Raul Mondesi to SF for RP Tim Worrell.

NYY trade SP Carl Pavano to HOU for 3B Morgan Ensberg.

July 24, 2006

Kazmir Throws Fifth Complete Game In Rays Win

624end8lh.png

Scoring

B1: Huff single scores Crawford

T2: Molina double scores Alfonzo

B2: Baldelli single scores Young

B3: Huff solo HR; Frandsen double scores Hall

B4: Huff two run HR

W - Kazmir (12-4) L - Santana (4-7)

Game Notes:

Kevin Frandsen picked up his first career double, RBI, and stolen base in the game.

Players of the Game:

Aubrey Huff 3-4, HR, 4 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

Thome In Pinstripes?

According to ESPN.com, the Diamondbacks and Yankees are close to a deal that would send prospect Phillip Hughes and 3B Morgan Ensberg to Arizona in exchange for Jim Thome.

When asked about the deal, Arizona GM Josh Byrnes acknowledged that the Yankees have been in contact but added that other teams were also showing interest in Thome. Byrnes added that he is "90% sure" that Thome will be moved before the deadline.

With Trade Deadline Looming, Arizona Shopping Thome

Arizona acquired Thome in a deal with the Chicago White Sox that sent starting pitcher Brandon Webb to the windy city earlier this year. Arizona is looking to bring youth into the organization.

They are looking for youth by bringing in Jim Thome?!?!?!?!? That's like asking a homeless person for real estate advice.

Angels Prevent Sweep With Seven Run Ninth Inning

In position to secure a much needed sweep, the Devil Rays saw a tie game turn into a blowout in a matter of minutes.

In game two, Tampa jumped out to a 3-1 lead after the first inning. Then they witnessed the Angels score six unanswered, entering the bottom of the eighth down 7-3. The Devil Rays showed great resilence however, scoring four runs in the bottom of the inning, tying the game at seven. After a 1-2-3 inning by Dan Smith in the top of the ninth, they were able to get the game winning run off J.C. Romero in the bottom of the ninth to take the game 8-7.

Having won the first two games of the series, Tampa looked to Ben Sheets to provide the sweep. Sheets went 6.2 innings, allowing one run on seven hits. His opposition, John Lackey, survived 5.2 innings allowing one run on five hits. The night ended for Tampa Bay though when reliever Danys Baez entered the game. In just 1.2 innings, Baez allowed five runs on four hits, and was followed by Dan Smith who allowed three runs on two hits, without recording an out. Anaheim went on to win the game 9-2.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

League Injuries:

OAK SP Rich Harden was placed on the 15 day DL with a meniscus sprain.

STL SP Jason Marquis is expected to miss his next start with a strained lower back.

League Transactions:

FLA trades RP Mike Gonzalez and C Miguel Olivo to COL for 2B Luis A. Gonzalez and SP Mike Esposito.

CHC trade C Henry Blanco to SEA for SP Kevin Appier.

NYM trade C Paul Lo Duca to SF for SP Alfredo Simon.

I know but they traded one of their best young players for an older player. So it is sort of Ironic that they are looking for youth when they gave it away.

yeah, i thought the trade was ridiculous when it happened. i love thome but i wouldn't give up brandon webb for him, straight up, without getting something else in the deal. good quality pitching is always better to have.

Yeah but early in the season they made a trade but now their team is way out of the hunt and they want to clear some salary

that's the way i'm looking at it.

by the way, it was one of those newpaper ads you get in your email: "Arizona Active in Trade Talks". so i thought i'd use it to add some spice to the trade deadline. :D

Yankees Deal Hughes - Out Of Hunt For Thome?

ESPN.com reports that a deal between the Yankees and Brewers has been struck, sending Yankees' prospect Philip Huges to Milwaukee for 3B Corey Koskie. With Hughes being dealt, the Yankees chances of acquiring Jim Thome before the July 31st trade deadline has taken a hit.

Reports out of Arizona suggest that without Hughes, the Yankees (who also traded Andy Phillips earlier in the year) don't have the pieces needed to make a deal.

The reported front runners now are the Devil Rays, Mets, A's, and Indians. With only a few days left before the deadline, you can bet phones will be ringing nationwide this weekend.

Archived