Yet Another Devil Rays Dynasty :D

sfgiantsflgators

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, your AL Central is actually winning. Thats really a surprise for me. Usually for every 10 dynasties I start, in 7 of those the AL Central, at the All-Star break, have no teams above the .500 mark. They all have loosing records.

Ya, Kazmir and Sheets are up their in the AL Cy Young.

yeah, i hope they can stay - have no idea how vizcaino made an appearance though... :chin:

Man, your AL Central is actually winning. Thats really a surprise for me. Usually for every 10 dynasties I start, in 7 of those the AL Central, at the All-Star break, have no teams above the .500 mark. They all have loosing records.

yeah, i thought that same thing. and actually, they're doing well enough that the twins are fighting myself and the red sox for the wild card. looks like the race could get interesting.

another big surprise to me are the West races - the A's and Padres have had them pretty much sewed up since June.

July 31, 2006

Solo Shots Lead Tampa Over Detroit

731end9gm.png

Scoring

B2: Feliz solo HR

B6: Cantu solo HR

W - Fossum (12-7) L - Rogers (7-8) S - Street (14)

Game Notes:

Detroit loaded the bases with one out in the eighth inning. Danys Baez got out of the jam by striking out Ivan Rodriguez and forcing Chris Shelton to ground out.

Players of the Game:

Pedro Feliz 2-3, 2B, HR, RBI

For Boxscore, click here

Extra Inning Win Salvages Split For Devil Rays

Locked in a race for the wild card, the Devil Rays will probably need to win a good portion of their remaining games to come out on top. The first test would come against the Tigers.

For the second straight day, a pitcher's duel was born between the Rays and Tigers. Game two's version featured Ben Sheets and Jeremy Bonderman. Both pither's are in the running for this year's Cy Young award, and showed why in this matchup. Sheets lasted seven innings, giving up one run on six hits while striking out eight. Bonderman was almost untouchable though, getting the complete game shutout while giving up just three hits.

Game three saw yet another pitcher's duel between the starters when Noah Lowry faced off against Nate Robertson. Both starters allowed just one run but Tampa reliever Jose Mesa gave up three in the eighth to take the loss. Robertson went the distance allowing his one run on seven hits and struck out seven.

In game four, trying to salvage a split, the Rays turned to Matt Cain. Cain has struggled lately but was strong in this outing, going seven innings, allowing two runs (one earned) on five hits. The game would go into the tenth tied at two and, in the tenth, would end when Tampa Bay plated a run on an error by third baseman Frank Menechino. Luis Vizcaino picked up the win for the Rays while Juan Gutierrez got the loss without giving up an earned run.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

Game 4 Boxscore

League Injuries:

MIL SP Philip Hughes was placed on the 15 day DL with a groin pull.

WAS C John Buck was placed on the 15 day DL with wrist tendonitis.

August 4, 2006

Five Run First Leads Tampa Over Boston

84end5kw.png

Scoring

B1: Cantu single scores Baldelli; Huff sacrifice fly scores Crawford; Thome two run HR; Feliz solo HR

T2: Nixon solo HR

B2: Huff two run HR

W - Kazmir (13-4) L - Wells (8-4)

Game Notes:

David Wells only threw 15 pitches before being lifted in the first inning. He allowed five runs on six hits while getting just one out...Delmon Young left the game in the bottom of the eighth with a shoulder injury. No details were available.

Players of the Game:

Rocco Baldelli 4-5

Jim Thome 2-4, 2B, HR, 2 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

Young Out 6-8 Weeks With A Separated Shoulder

The Devil Rays announced today that right fielder Delmon Young will miss at least six weeks with a separated shoulder. Young injured the shoulder in the eighth inning of yesterday's game with Boston.

Young, in his rookie campaign, was batting .270 with seven homeruns. The biggest loss for Tampa will come in the outfield though where Young had yet to make an error after being moved to right field. Young had also shown a very strong and accurate arm, earning a number of assists this year.

To fill in, Darnell McDonald was called up from AAA Durham and will play left field. Carl Crawford will be playing in right until Young returns.

Manager Joe Maddon said that the lineup will remain the same with McDonald batting in Young's spot. When asked about the impact on the team, Maddon had this to say:

"Young is a great guy to have around. He has a reputation for certain things, but as far as we've seen this year, he's a great teammate. He keeps the clubhouse loose and is a hell of a player on the field. We'll miss him but we'll be fine until he returns."

Young is expected back mid-September which could be just in time to make an impact in the wild card race.

BTW sf, i'm starting a dynasty and plan on posting, i was wondering if you play every game or sim some, lemme know b/c i like how you get through games quickly

i play the first game of every series and simulate the others. when i get closer to the end of the season, i might play a bit more, depending on the shape of the wild card race and impact of the games.

i'll keep an eye out for your dynasty! :D

How is the wild card race?

after the tiger series, boston was up four games as they had won eight straight until their loss to me. the twins are in second right now, two back i believe. after the win, i'm three back. i think the jays are four.

Huff's Tenth Inning Double Wins Game, Gives Devil Rays Sweep Of Boston

Entering the series, Boston was four games up on Tampa Bay in the race for the wild card. Boston had won eight straight games before losing to Tampa in the first game of the series.

In game two, Tampa looked to continue the success from the first game. Both pitchers, Casey Fossum for the Rays and Curt Schilling for Boston, held their opposition scoreless through the first four innings. Boston struck first in the fifth with an RBI single by Mike Lowell. Tampa would answer with five in the bottom of the inning though, knocking Schilling from the game. Three of the runs would come on a three run blast from Jorge Cantu. Tampa added two more in the seventh to win 7-1. Darnell McDonald went 1-4 in his first game since being called up following the injury to Delmon Young.

Going for the sweep, Tampa Bay sent out Ben Sheets to face knuckleballer Tim Wakefield. Both pitchers gave up three runs a piece and the game entered extras. In the tenth, the Devil Rays capitalized on a walk to Rocco Baldelli when Aubrey Huff doubled to deep left center, allowing Baldelli to score from first. Jon Lester would take the loss while Cliff Politte grabbed the win.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

League Injuries:

SF SP Matt Morris will miss his next start with a strained left ribcage.

KC SP Denny Bautista might miss the remainder of the season with a fractured right ankle.

August 7, 2006

M's Rally Falls Short In Rays Win

77end6di.png

Scoring

T2: Huff solo HR

B5: Reed single scores Beltre

T6: Thome two run HR; Hall single scores Feliz

B9: Ichiro two run HR

W - Lowry (14-6) L - Moyer (7-7) S - Street (15)

Game Notes:

Darnell McDonald left the game in the top of the fourth with an apparent arm injury. No details were available.

Players of the Game:

Aubrey Huff 2-4, HR, RBI

Jim Thome 2-3, HR, 2 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

Injury Bug Bites Again - McDonald Might Miss Remainder Of Season

The Devil Rays announced today that left fielder Darnell McDonald suffered a broken arm in yesterday's game and will be out until late-September at the earliest. McDonald was called up earlier in the week to replace the injured Delmon Young, who is expected to miss 6-8 weeks.

Ty Wigginton will now play left field and Kevin Witt was called up from Double-A for depth.

Mariners Take Two Of Three From Rays

All but out of the race in the AL West, the Mariners are in spoiler mode - and this series was a job well done.

In game two, the Devil Rays sent out Matt Cain to face Joel Pineiro. Cain has pitched well lately but has gotten little run support. The trend continued today with Cain allowing three runs over 5.2 innings - but the Rays were only able to plate two in the game (none of them earned). Pineiro earned the win and Eddie Guardado got his 22nd save.

The rubber match featured Scott Kazmir squaring off against Jarrod Washburn. After allowing four runs, two earned, over 7.2 innings, Kazmir handed the game over to the bullpen up 5-4. Danys Baez finished off the eighth and handed the ninth to Huston Street to get the save. Street couldn't get the job done today though, allowing the Mariners to score two runs in the inning to go home with a game and series win.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

League Injuries:

ANA SP Kelvim Escobar was placed on the 15 day DL with an MCL sprain.

August 11, 2006

Who's Your MVP? Crawford, Cantu Power Rays Past Oakland

711end5mc.png

Scoring

T4: Crawford triple scores Baldelli

B5: Chavez solo HR

T6: Crawford two run HR; Thome solo HR

T8: Cantu solo HR

T9: Wigginton single scores Feliz

B9: Crosby sacrifice fly scores Bradley; Chavez double scores Perez, Kotsay; Thomas single scores Chavez

W - Fossum (14-7) L - Zito (8-8) S - Street (16)

Game Notes:

Oakland loaded the bases in the fourth inning but a diving catch on a Milton Bradley line drive by Rays' shortstop B.J. Upton and a Casey Fossum strikeout of Antonio Perez ended the threat...Jorge Cantu picked up his 100th RBI of the season. He is the first player to reach 100 RBI this season.

Players of the Game:

Carl Crawford 2-4, 3B, HR, 3 RBI

Jorge Cantu 2-4, 2 HR, 3 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

EDIT: Street wasn't credited with a save by the game, but he did meet the qualifications for it. Therefore I gave it to him. From now until the end of the season, you will have to add one to his save total when looking at the box scores. I will post the correct save number in the write-ups when he does earn one. Stupid game...

Archived