Yet Another Devil Rays Dynasty :D

sfgiantsflgators

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summer Blockbuster Of The Year - Sheets Headed For Tampa Bay

Mickey Brown

Hold on to your seats Tampa - the Rays just might be in this thing to win it! In a shocking turn of events following yesterday's all-star game (in which the American League won on a walk off shot by David Ortiz), the Tampa Bay Devil Rays dealt three players in return for National League all-star starter, Ben Sheets. Sheets has been phenomenal this year, sporting a 2.63 ERA with 105 strikeouts and 51 walks, in 126 innings.

In the deal, Milwaulkee got Edwin Jackson and Jason Kendall, as well as Ricky Bottalico from Durham. Kendall has played very well since coming over with Huston Street in an earlier trade with the Athletics and Jackson has done well for his rookie campaign.

TB

Ben Sheets

MIL

Edwin Jackson

Jason Kendall

Ricky Botallico

Tampa GM sfgiantsflgators released this statement earlier this evening:

"Ben Sheets is now a Devil Ray. Earlier in the year, we traded for young stars Matt Cain and Noah Lowry, as well as called up Edwin Jackson, Delmon Young, and B.J. Upton. We did this because we thought they were ready and they needed to get some experience so that they could help us contend - in the future.

You fans have heard that a lot - in the future. Well, due to the performance the team has given in the first half; be it from the young stars I mentioned, or players that have been with the team for a few years, we are in position to make that future now. It was this reasoning that pursuaded us to pursue a piece of the puzzle that would make us contenders, now...in the present.

Edwin Jackson will be a fabulous pitcher someday - and we wish him well. And Jason Kendall was a great player to have in the clubhouse - both on and off the field. But Doug [Melvin - Brewers GM] contacted me a couple hours before the game and wanted to test my interest in Ben [sheets]. Over the course of the game we worked out a deal - and that is where we are now.

Again, the Devil Rays organization wishes Jason and Edwin great success with the Brewers. But with Ben Sheets now in our rotation, we believe we have a chance to win any day, against anyone. Devil Ray fans - join us. Let's make this season a historic one!"

This reporter was shocked when he heard the news earlier - but this is finally what we wanted fans. Our owner, with the addition of sfgiantsflgators as GM, has stepped up and made this team a contender. I for one, can't wait to see what the second half brings! Let's go Rays!

Mickey Brown has been a reporter for D-Rays News since the introduction of the franchise. Comments, questions should be directed to mbrown@rays-news.com

Its July 30th

correct. as for the deal, i have budgets off. fair trades are still on, but the budget thing gets pretty ridiculous. i'm still under the original devil rays cap (60 mil) but for trades, i do mess with the budgets.

now i'm not going around trading 15 mil salaries for 100K guys. but if the salaries are within 1-2 mil, i'm pulling the trigger.

basically, what i do is have budgets on when i'm playing around with trades. then, when i get the salary difference within the 1-2 mil range, i go turn off budgets and see if i can get the deal done.

for instance, on the sheets deal, they actually sent me the proposal. the original was sheets for matt cain, toby hall, and an AAA guy. cain and lowry aren't going anywhere, for anyone, so i decided to try it for jackson, kendall, and botallico. the salaries were off by 2.5 mil (give or take a hundred thou), so i threw in a guy they had in AA with a mil salary. went back to trades with budgets off, and they took it. then i released the guy i added to the deal because he wasn't worth a damn and i didn't need him.

some might say it's cheating, but i call it a more realistic system. would the brewers ever trade sheets - prolly not. would a non-contender trade a pitcher to a contender for a veteran relief pitcher, major league caliber catcher, and very good pitching prospect - sure would. and that's what the brewers and rays just did :D

SF quick tip for you. You know that turning off budget also changes the trading system? Since money isn't an issue they won't care about the amount u give them or take back. I would've suggested trying it with budgets on and then once deal is done then turning it back off, that'd make it more fair

SF quick tip for you. You know that turning off budget also changes the trading system? Since money isn't an issue they won't care about the amount u give them or take back. I would've suggested trying it with budgets on and then once deal is done then turning it back off, that'd make it more fair

see, that's the flaw in the system though - i have yet to see a trade approved that the computer didn't make money. if the salaries aren't balanced in their favor, it won't go through. i've even had trade proposals, that were sent to me, denied because the players they picked were over the salary for the players they are trading away.

now, if you're trading with David Glass, that's realistic. if you're trading with the majority of teams, the balance of the talent is more important. like i said, i'm not trading a 10 mil guy for a 100K prospect. if i get the salaries within the 1-2 mil range (not always with the cheaper end on my side), and i believe the talent is balanced and/or matches the proposal i was given (if any), i pull the trigger.

July 14, 2006

Devil Rays Start Second Half With Angelic Beatdown

614end3jg.png

Scoring

T2: Baldelli solo HR

T3: Huff double scores Crawford

T6: Hall single scores Baldelli, Feliz scores on an error by the center fielder; Crawford single scores Lee; Cantu double scores Hall, Upton, Crawford

T7: Young single scores Hall; Upton scores on throwing error by the catcher

B7: Molina double scores Kotchman

T8: Huff solo HR

B8: Erstad grounds out to short, Figgins scores

T9: Crawford double scores Young

W - Kazmir (11-3) L - Santana (4-6)

Game Notes:

This was Scott Kazmir's third straight complete game.

Players of the Game:

Aubrey Huff 3-5, 2B, HR, 2 RBI

Jorge Cantu 3-6, 2 2B, 3 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

Ninth Inning Rallys Almost Take Series From D-Rays

With game one under their belt, Tampa Bay looked to open the second half with a sweep of Anaheim. On two consectutive nights though, the ninth inning spelled trouble for Tampa Bay.

In game two, Casey Fossum took the mound for the Rays against Angel hurler Bartolo Colon. This was a pitcher's duel at it's finest, with Colon going seven strong innings, giving up just four hits and one run - a solo shot by Aubrey Huff. Fossum was better on this day though, taking a no-hitter into the eighth inning. Devil Ray coach Joe Maddon decided to stick with Fossum in the ninth though and, with two outs, the Rays looked like they were headed for victory. Garret Anderson had different plans though - on a 2-2 pitch, Anderson hit a two-run homerun, just Fossum's third hit allowed in the game, and sent the Halos home with a victory.

The rubber match of the series featured Ben Sheets making his first start as a Devil Ray, coming to Tampa in a blockbuster trade with the Brewers during the All-Star break. He faced off against John Lackey (7-8). Again, both pitchers matched each other almost step for step, but Sheets had the lead going into the ninth. In the ninth, Sheets got into trouble, allowing one run before he could get an out. Joe Maddon called on Huston Street to close out the game and, after allowing one more run of his own, Street stopped the rally and picked up his thirteenth save of the season as the Devil Rays went on to win 4-3.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

League Injuries:

TOR SP Roy Halladay suffered a meniscus sprain in yesterday's game. Toronto has said it is not series however, but Halladay will be held out of his next start.

Archived