Yet Another Devil Rays Dynasty :D

sfgiantsflgators

wow, did the the computer make that Hughes trade, or was it you??? either way the Yankees came out on the losing end. btw, is Alex hurt or something?

nope, wasn't me - i only deal with the Rays. and i agree totally - koskie? that now gives them three third basemen (in case you haven't seen the post awhile back, they traded for ensberg too)

as for alex, no he's not. which made me wonder why they got ensberg in the first place - and now definitely with the trade for koskie. i actually don't believe any yankees are injured at the moment - not serious anyway...cant be 100% though.

alex is actually in the top five mvp i believe - might be third behind crawford and matsui. not 100% on that either though.

EDIT: and also if you're wondering, they're up nine games on myself and boston. we are basically fighting for wild card it appears.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you posted your standings lately sf? I haven't seen one updated on your dynasty lately(unless I missed it), just curious how everything is coming together.

i did one at the all-star break (a couple pages back) but there's been A LOT of posts flying through the thread since then - basically since you made the post about people checking out dynasties :D

i usually do the standings at the first of the month with league leaders and such - and after the next series (against the yanks) it'll be august so i'll have one then. with only two months to go though, i'll probably do the standings update twice a month now.

off the top of my head i don't know all the divisons, of course, but i know that in the AL East, the yanks are 9 games up on myself and the sox, with toronto 11 back, and baltimore at least 15 back. as for wild card, it's a tie between me, the sox, and another team (maybe texas?), with the twins fourth at 2 back. :D

i'm going out of town tomorrow but when i get back i'll pick up with the wrap from the yankees series - then with the end of july updates. :D

EDIT: it's on page 10 - about halfway down :D

(think i just set the record for most smileys in a post - that aren't in a row)

i did one at the all-star break (a couple pages back) but there's been A LOT of posts flying through the thread since then - basically since you made the post about people checking out dynasties :D

i usually do the standings at the first of the month with league leaders and such - and after the next series (against the yanks) it'll be august so i'll have one then. with only two months to go though, i'll probably do the standings update twice a month now.

off the top of my head i don't know all the divisons, of course, but i know that in the AL East, the yanks are 9 games up on myself and the sox, with toronto 11 back, and baltimore at least 15 back. as for wild card, it's a tie between me, the sox, and another team (maybe texas?), with the twins fourth at 2 back. :D

i'm going out of town tomorrow but when i get back i'll pick up with the wrap from the yankees series - then with the end of july updates. :D

EDIT: it's on page 10 - about halfway down :D

(think i just set the record for most smileys in a post - that aren't in a row)

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. :) <----1 is all I can afford.

Devils Rays Get Thome - Locked and Loaded for Postseason Run

Mickey Brown

In the end, it came down to two teams - and a trade made just days ago made the opening the Devil Rays needed.

When it came down to it, Arizona had three major suitors for Thome - the Indians, the Dodgers, and the Rays. According to Arizona GM Josh Byrnes, Grady Sizemore was a very inticing piece to the Indians proposals. However, when the Indians traded him in a deal to get David Eckstein, it came down to two teams - one of which was a division rival.

According to inside reports, the Dodgers were trying to phase Sizemore out of the Diamondbacks mind, but couldn't find a player to plug in his place. Arizona GM said in a press conference earlier today that without Sizemore, it wasn't worth handing Thome over to someone in the division. So that left the Devil Rays...

Now for the deal that brought Thome to Tampa:

ARI

Wily Mo Pena

Travis Lee

Scott Dunn

TB

Jim Thome

Luis Vizcaino

When asked about the deal, Byrnes said that he is "very happy about the acquisition of both Pena and Lee." He believes that Pena will be a great asset to their outfielding core for years to come and added that "Travis [Lee] will really help to shore up our defense over there at first. He can really pick it."

The real story though Rays' fans, is the acquisition of Thome. First, we have to hand it to our owner. Tampa GM sfgiantsflgators had a lot to say about the deal; but he started with the move by the owner first:

"I approached Vince [Naimoli] about the possibility of adding Jim [Thome]. He realized that it would push the budget we set before the season, but he approved the increase. The first thing Rays fans should do today is give that man a hand - he realizes that the team has worked hard to keep itself in the fight in this powerful division - and he rewarded them today with an early Christmas present. Hopefully we can pay him back with a little bit of gold."

When asked about the process of making the deal, sfgiantsflgators chuckled, then wiped his brow:

"I'm going to bed. I have to thank Josh [byrnes] first for not hanging up on me about 20 times. We wanted Thome - really, who wouldn't? But we are very happy with our core players and wouldn't give them up for anyone. That being said, there just wasn't any room for Wily [Mo Pena] in the outfield with Rocco [baldelli], Carl [Crawford], and Delmon [Young] securely in place. He is a great person and fantastic player - the Diamondbacks got a winner. But for the DH position, there's just not many better than Jim. And Travis [Lee] is a great player and I'm sure we'll miss his defense. But Jim's offensive output is too much to pass up."

So how does your Devil Ray lineup look now? Initial reports have Pedro Feliz playing first with Thome at DH. Since interleague is done, there's no need to worry about what will happen with no DH yet - although manager Joe Maddon said that Thome will start at first more than likely with Feliz being available as a pinch hitter. But fans, the next time we have to worry about that, we'll be in the World Series! See you there?

Rays Notes:

3B Ty Wiggington was called up after the trade.

Mickey Brown has been a reporter for D-Rays News since the introduction of the franchise. Comments, questions should be directed to mbrown@rays-news.com

July 28, 2006

Thome Homers, Drives In Two In Rays Debut

628end2fu.png

Scoring

B1: Matsui double scores Rodriguez; Sheffield single scores Matsui

T2: Baldelli single scores Feliz, Young

T5: Huff solo HR; Thome solo HR

B5: Damon solo HR

T6: Cantu single scores Baldelli; Huff single scores Crawford; Thome sacrifice fly scores Cantu

W - Lowry (13-6) L - Mussina (7-7)

Players of the Game:

Rocco Baldelli 2-5, 2B, 2 RBI

Aubrey Huff 3-5, HR, 2 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

Posada's Walk-Off Sends Yanks Home With Series Win

Any chance the Devil Rays had to make a run for a division title could have been crushed this weekend as Tampa Bay dropped two of three to the bombers.

After Noah Lowry outpitched Yankee veteran Mike Mussina to a win in game one of the series, the Yankees answered by dropping a twelve spot to take game two 12-1. Tampa starter Matt Cain continued to struggle, giving up five earned in 1.2 innings. Yankee starter Chien-Ming Wang gave up just two hits in six innings and Alex Rodriguez drove in four.

The rubber match featured Scott Kazmir facing off against Shawn Chacon. Kazmir left the game trailing 3-0 but the Rays fought back in the eighth, pulling to within a run. After adding the tying run in the ninth, Tampa left reliever Jose Mesa in to face the Yankee's 7-8-9 hitters. It would only take one hitter though as the first guy he faced in the ninth, Jorge Posada, hit his second homerun of the game to win the game 4-3.

Game 2 Boxscore

Game 3 Boxscore

League Suspensions:

MIN RP Juan Rincon was suspended for six games.

League Injuries:

LAD SP Odalis Perez suffered a torn meniscus and is expected to miss two months.

Minor League Players of the Month - July:

AAA Pitcher - Jimmy Haynes 8-4, 107.1 IP, 2.52 ERA, 93 SO, 38 BB

AA Pitcher - Chris Seddon 5-8, 105.2 IP, 3.83 ERA, 82 SO, 35 BB

A Pitcher - Jeff Niemann 8-6, 118.1 IP, 2.21 ERA, 95 SO, 25 BB

AAA Hitter - Darnell McDonald .271, 7 HR, 52 RBI

AA Hitter - Kevin Witt .275, 9 HR, 33 RBI

A Hitter - Josh Hamilton .320, 12 HR, 35 RBI

League Leaders:

AVG

American League:

Jeter (NYY) - .352

Lowell (BOS) - .342

Ensberg (NYY) - .342

Varitek (BOS) - .336

Ramirez (BOS) - .328

National League:

Bonds (SF) - .347

Kearns (CIN) - .330

Pujols (STL) - .329

Randa (PIT) - .328

Marrero (COL) - .324

Helton (COL) - .324

Homeruns

Amerian League:

Huff (TB) - 34

Matsui (NYY) - 29

Guerrero (ANA) - 26

Blalock (TEX) - 25

Ramirez (BOS) - 25

National League:

Dunn (CIN) - 37

Edmonds (STL) - 30

Griffey Jr. (CIN) - 29

A. Jones (ATL) - 29

Helton (COL) - 27

Ramirez (CHC) - 27

RBI

American League:

Cantu (TB) - 91

Rodriguez (NYY) - 87

Crawford (TB) - 83

Huff (TB) - 82

Sexson (SEA) - 82

National League:

Dunn (CIN) - 87

Edmonds (STL) - 87

A. Jones (ATL) - 79

Howard (PHI) - 77

Lee (MIL) - 76

Johnson (WAS) - 76

Griffey Jr. (CIN) - 76

Stolen Bases

American League

Ichiro (SEA) - 47

Crawford (TB) - 38

Roberts (BAL) - 26

Upton (TB) - 23

Figgins (ANA) - 21

National League:

Pierre (CHC) - 42

Freel (CIN) - 30

Gathright (SF) - 26

Abreu (PHI) - 26

Beltran (NYM) - 21

Sizemore (LAD) - 21

OBP

American League:

Ramirez (BOS) - .447

Willingham (NYY) - .437

Mauer (MIN) - .431

Lowell (BOS) - .426

Stairs (KC) - .424

Giambi (NYY) - .424

National League:

Bonds (SF) - .467

Pujols (STL) - .446

Edmonds (STL) - .444

Helton (COL) - .443

Dunn (CIN) - .435

SLG

American League:

Huff (TB) - .625

Koskie (NYY) - .616

Ensberg (NYY) - .598

Matsui (NYY) - .587

Ramirez (BOS) - .583

National League:

Dunn (CIN) - .689

Edmonds (STL) - .632

Bonds (SF) - .620

Helton (COL) - .612

Hawpe (COL) - .596

Wins

American League

Lowry (TB) - 13

Johnson (NYY) - 13

Kazmir (TB) - 12

Fossum (TB) - 11

Three more tied at 11

National League:

Carpenter (STL) - 12

Martinez (NYM) - 12

Smoltz (ATL) - 12

V. Zambrano (NYM) - 12

Peavy (SD) - 11

Oswalt (HOU) - 11

ERA

American League:

Halsey (OAK) - 2.26

Sheets (TB) - 2.40

Bonderman (DET) - 2.86

Washburn (SEA) - 3.18

Rogers (DET) - 3.29

National League:

Peavy (SD) - 2.07

Zambrano (NYM) - 2.71

Glavine (NYM) - 2.74

Marquis (STL) - 2.82

Perez (PIT) - 2.87

Saves

American League:

Nathan (MIN) - 26

Mota (CLE) - 26

Rivera (NYY) - 25

Rodriguez (ANA) - 22

Vizcaino (TB) - 21

National League:

Hoffman (SD) - 30

Lidge (HOU) - 26

Belisle (CIN) - 25

Dempster (CHC) - 25

Wagner (NYM) - 23

Strikeouts

American League:

Zito (OAK) - 131

Johnson (NYY) - 130

Clemens (CWS) - 126

Sheets (TB) - 121

Bonderman (DET) - 119

National League:

Perez (PIT) - 131

Peavy (SD) - 125

Prior (CHC) - 121

Oswalt (HOU) - 120

Willis (FLA) - 120

Innings Pitched

American League:

Westbrook (CLE) - 151.1

Sheets (TB) - 150.1

Kamir (TB) - 148.2

Bonderman (DET) - 148.0

Zito (OAK) - 145.2

National League:

Perez (PIT) - 156.2

Hernandez (WAS) - 151.2

Peavy (SD) - 148.0

Smoltz (ATL) - 147.0

Willis (FLA) - 145.2

When do you think you will be calling up Josh Hamilton? Not to the MLB, I mean like AA or AAA.

i was thinking about that actually - think i might do it next time i'm in my dynasty.

i haven't paid much attention to the minors this dynasty because i only plan on doing it for a year before moving on to a giants dynasty. so unless i get an email saying "move him up", i usually don't pay attention to how guys are doing unless someone on the 25 man gets hurt.

Archived