Yet Another Devil Rays Dynasty :D

sfgiantsflgators

I can't. Lol, nice job with just another devil rays dynasty.

heh...thanks guys. glad you're enjoying it. i think there's two reasons why i got so many followers on this dynasty: JoeRudi pimped it along with some others in a thread about following dynasties (and i'm disappointed his is over - he did such a great job); and I've had a lot of fun with it.

i've been checking in on both of your guys' and i hope you keep em going :D basically just enjoy them yourselves and more often than not, the followers will show up after awhile.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oakland Wins Game Two On Tenth Inning Single

Coming into the playoffs, many wondered how Oakland would fair without Frank Thomas and Barry Zito. And following game one, in which Tampa Bay won 8-4, those same people thought that Oakland was done for. But the Athletics showed some fire today, taking game two 5-4 in ten innings.

The starters for the contest, Ben Sheets and Rich Harden, were canidates for the Cy Young award won by Noah Lowry. However, neither were a factor in this game as both starters allowed four runs, leaving the game in the hands of the bullpen. Oakland's relievers, Chad Gaudin and Juan Dominquez, allowed just one hit in 4.1 shutout innings of work. This left the door open for Oakland's offense who, in the tenth, scored the winning run off Cliff Politte, who's final line was 3.1 innings, allowing the one run on three hits, all coming with one out in the tenth.

So, with the series tied 1-1, the teams head to Tampa Bay for two games. Starters for game three will be Casey Fossum and Joe Kennedy. See you in Tampa.

For boxscore, click here

2006 MLB Divisional Playoffs

Other Games:

Cleveland 7, New York Yankees 3 (Cleveland leads 2-0)

Houston 2, San Diego 3 (series tied 1-1)

Cincinnati 2, New York Mets 5 (New York leads 2-0)

Injury Report:

SD LF Shannon Stewart will miss the rest of the division series with an inflamed left elbow. No word on if he will be available if the Padres move on.

Seven Run Fifth Puts Tampa Bay A Win Away From ALCS

After the disappointing extra inning loss in game two, some analysts wondered if the Devil Rays could bounce back. Thanks to big games from Toby Hall and AL MVP Carl Crawford, the Rays are now a win away from getting a shot to become American League champions.

Oakland starter Joe Kennedy survived the first four innings without much noise and found himself entering the fifth inning with a 3-0 lead. Kennedy's night would end there however as the Devil Rays scored seven runs off Kennedy before he was pulled in favor of Tim Guthrie with two outs. Oakland responded with two runs in the top of the sixth to pull within two, but Tampa Bay two in the bottom of the sixth and two more in the seventh to walk away with an 11-5 victory. Toby Hall and Carl Crawford combined for seven RBI on a grand slam and three run homerun respectively. Both shots came in the seven run fifth.

Going for the series win tomorrow for Tampa Bay will be 22 year old Scott Kazmir. Trying to force a game five in Oakland will be Brad Halsey. Bring your green shirts tomorrow fans and cheer your Rays to victory!

For boxscore, click here

Cantu Sends Tampa Bay To ALCS With Eleventh Inning Walkoff Single

Time to celebrate Tampa - your Devil Rays have won their first playoff series and are headed to the ALCS!

Today's game featured Scott Kazmir and Brad Halsey. Both pitchers allowed four runs, Kazmir in 5.0 innings and Halsey in 6.2. So, for the second time in this division series, the game came down to bullpens and, eventually, extra innings. This time around it was Tampa's bullpen who pitched the shutout innings, Jose Mesa and Danys Baez being the two parties involved. Mesa went 3.2 innings allowing three hits and Baez went 2.1, allowing just one hit.

As for Oakland, the loss fell to Dan Meyer. Meyer threw 3.0 strong innings, allowing no runs or hits. However, the eleventh became his downfall. After getting Toby Hall and B.J. Upton out to start the inning, Meyer gave up and innocent single to Rocco Baldelli. Carl Crawford followed with one of his own, and suddenly the Rays had runners at first and third with two outs. On a 2-2 count, second bagger Jorge Cantu drove a changeup down the line in left, plating Baldelli and sending the Rays charging onto the field - and into the ALCS.

In the ALCS, the Rays will face off against the Cleveland Indians, who the Rays took three of four from to end the season. Tampa's game one starter will be Noah Lowry. Cleveland hasn't yet announced who they will send out but rumors indicate either C.C. Sabathia or Jake Westbrook. The first two games will be here in Tampa Bay - let's go Rays!

For boxscore, click here

d**n!! i wish the padres would of went further, but oh well..good luck on Cleveland

as bad as they won the west, i thought they would. but they traded away klesko and khalil at the deadline to minnesota, so i don't know if that hurt their team at all.

as for cleveland, hopefully i can keep up the play i've had against them of late - took three of four from them to end the year. if i can start the series like that, i should be able to get that fourth game too. :D

Cleveland vs. Tampa Bay, Game 1

Huff, Thome Power Tampa To Game One Win

alcs1end7rt.png

Scoring

B1: Huff double scores Crawford, Cantu; Thome two run HR

B2: Cantu double scores Hall, Baldelli, Cantu; Huff two run HR

B6: Crawford sacrifice fly scores Upton

B7: Thome solo HR

W - Lowry (2-0) L - Byrd (0-1)

Players of the Game:

Jorge Cantu 1-3, 2B, 3 RBI

Aubrey Huff 2-4, 2B, HR, 4 RBI

Jim Thome 2-4, 2 HR, 4 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

so are you going to get rid of Huff? You should be happy you are getting Ben Zobrist, I played against him in college...he is smooooth.

well, after the playoffs are over, the dynasty is as well. i just did the rays as a prelude to my Giants dynasty - a way to tweak things around to how i wanted such as presentation, settings, etc.

if i were to continue though, i don't think i could part with Huff. he hit over 50 homeruns for me this year and, aside from Crawford and my pitching staff, was the most valuable part of the team. it would have to be a hell of a deal for me to let him go :D

Cleveland Answers In Game Two With 7-1 Win

Tampa Bay has had a good track record against Cleveland this year, including wins in four of their last five meetings after Tampa's game one victory. However, with a late inning surge today, Cleveland showed why they swept the Yankees in their divisional series.

With Ben Sheets facing off against Jake Westbrook, many believed a pitcher's duel was probable. Through five innings, that definitely was the case as the teams were tied at one a piece.

In the sixth, however, things would change. The Devil Rays would commit their first of two errors on the game in the sixth inning, opening the doors for a four-run Indian frame. Then, in the eighth, with Cleveland leading 5-1, Aubrey Huff commited an error, allowing two runs to score and giving the Indians a 7-1 lead. Indian pitcher Dennis Tankersley allowed just one hit over the final two frames as Cleveland evened the series at one.

The teams now go to Cleveland for the next three games. After a travel day, the probable starters are Casey Fossum and Cliff Lee.

For boxscore, click here

2006 National League Championship Series

(Game 1 of double-header) Houston 4, New York Mets 5 (12)

(Game 2 of double-header) Houston 6, New York Mets 3

The series is tied, 1-1

Injury Report:

NYM SP Pedro Martinez will miss the remainder of the NLCS, and possibly the rest of the playoffs, with a forearm injury. No more details were released by New York.

Feliz Lost For Playoffs In Devil Ray Loss

Pedro Feliz is out for the playoffs with a fractured hand.

Feliz left today's game in the bottom of the first inning after colliding with Travis Hafner at first base. Feliz immediately went down holding his hand and x-rays during the game confirmed a broken hand. Ty Wigginton replaced Feliz at first base.

As for the rest of the game, starters Casey Fossum and Cliff Lee battled for six innings, Fossum having the advantage entering the bottom of the seventh 2-1. Then, after getting Franklin Gutierrez to ground out to lead off the seventh, Fossum began to struggle. After a hit by Ramon Vazquez, Fossum hung a 2-2 curveball to Jhonny Peralta, who quickly deposited it in the left field seats, giving Cleveland a 3-2 lead. A mixture of Bob Wickman and Guillermo Mota shut down the Rays and gave the Indians a 2-1 series lead.

Tomorrow's game four features Scott Kazmir (0-0) against C.C. Sabathia (0-0).

For boxscore, click here

Wigginton To Play First For Remainder Of ALCS

Manager Joe Maddon announced earlier today that utility man Ty Wigginton will play first base for the remainder of the ALCS. The change came about with the injury to Pedro Feliz. Feliz fractured his hand during the first inning of yesterday's game after Travis Hafner collided with him in a play at first.

The World Series is still up in the air as Maddon wants to see how the new lineup works out. For now, it's the same batting order, with Wigginton in Pedro Feliz' spot.

Kazmir's Gem Brings Series To 2-2 Tie

With Cy Young award winner Noah Lowry and young fireballer Ben Sheets on the staff, 22 year old Scott Kazmir has been overlooked recently. Today should change all that.

Facing off against another great young pitcher, C.C. Sabathia, Kazmir showed why he was considered the ace of the Devil Ray staff for most of the season.

Kazmir held Cleveland hitless until the fifth inning when Casey Blake singled up the middle. That was all for Cleveland in the fifth but they would plate two runs in the sixth on a homerun by Jason Michaels. That was it for the Indians though as Kazmir made it into the ninth, only allowing two scattered hits. He would get two outs in the ninth before getting into a bit of a jam, allowing hits to Jason Michaels and Travis Hafner. Luis Vizcaino would come in and allow an infield single to Victor Martinez, loading the bases for Casey Blake. Vizcaino mowed down Blake on three pitches though to preserve a Rays victory, tying the series at two games a piece.

Tomorrow's game, the last before heading back to Tampa Bay, will feature game one starter Noah Lowry against Jason Johnson.

For boxscore, click here

Classic Pitcher's Duel Ends Sloppily In Indians' Favor

Both starters would go more than the distance, but only one could win. Unfortunately for the Rays, his name wasn't Lowry.

Today's starters put on a matchup for the ages, both going nine plus innings in an extra inning battle.

Noah Lowry, winner of the 2006 Cy Young award, faced off against Cleveland hurler Jason Johnson. Lowry is 2-0 in this years' playoffs while today's game marked Johnson's first start. Allowing no runs through regulation, both starters went out for the tenth. First it was Johnson's turn.

Johnson would get one out in the tenth before allowing a homerun to Rocco Baldelli, giving Tampa Bay a 1-0 lead. Former Cleveland closer Bob Wickman was brought in and allowed one hit before closing out the inning without allowing a second run.

Then it was Lowry's turn. Lowry got two straight outs and the Devil Rays appeared to be headed home with a 3-2 series lead. Then Cleveland finally found an answer to Lowry: Tampa Bay's defense. After Ben Broussard reached on a single to right, the next batter, Ron Belliard grounded back to Lowry. Lowry threw the ball straight into the lower box seats at first base, allowing Broussard to reach third and Belliard second. Then with the winning run on second, Lowry recovered and induced a fly out to left by Franklin Gutierrez. 2006 AL MVP Carl Crawford appeared to settle under it then, as soon as he settled, seemed to lose it as it bounced out of his glove, allowing both runners to score on the error, and the Indians to win the game.

Lowry's final line was 9.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 7 SO. The definition of a tough loss.

The teams head back to Tampa Bay for game 6 and, if necessary, game 7. Game six scheduled starters are Ben Sheets and Paul Byrd. Byrd was roughed up in game one and hopes to turn it around to send Cleveland to the World Series.

For boxscore, click here

Archived