1967 season

Padres67

Well said-all simulated games from Strat-O-matic to APBA had their flaws. It is impossible to completely emulate a given season. And , in reality, we wouldn't want it to be exactly like the real thing. That's why we play them-Like the previous post-the Tigers and Pirates made it to the World Series instead of the Yanks and Reds. The results are very close to the real thing. Actually I love messing with all the variables to see if the results change dramatically. Thanks again for this enjoyment. And in most every season I put myself in the game just for the heck of it. Sometimes I pick a mediocre team and see if I can change the outcome with my all-star performance.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the bottom of the 9th, down one run with runners at 2nd and 3rd and 2 outs, the Chicago Cubs let the relief pitcher hit for himself. I would say that this is some kind of computer error until I remind myself that it IS the Cubs.

Cepeda had complained about his poor production over a horrendous stretch. The game after that, he went on a 4 game stretch that has seen 6 for 18, 5 RBI, 5 HR. In fact, the entire team came to life at Wrigley Field offensively. Ernie Banks had led the league in HRs and RBIs and I was puzzled to see him batting so low in their lineup. When I finally got to Wrigley, I could see why he had such huge offensive production. If Ceppy played there 81 games, he'd hit 60+.

Frank Howard leads all of baseball with 10 HRs, currently on pace to hit 67 on the season. Cepeda is on pace for 45.

ceppywrig2.jpg

ceppywrig1.jpg

Maris finally got off the schnide and hit a 9th inning HR against the Cubs to give the Cardinals a 4-3 lead that stuck.

mariswrighr.jpg

As you'll notice, I 'classic-fied' Wrigley up a bit, taking out the extra seating, adding back in the red doors, etc. I used graphics from Trues' Wrigley as he did some really great work.

One thing I did notice was that playing the Reds in a 2 game set at Busch, Frank Robinson wasn't in the starting lineup either day.

Stecropper, Hughes is just fine with his stamina (I think it's around 91), Briles is the problem but I adjusted this becasue I am playing with injuries and technically when Gibson went down in real life, Briles stepped in and started. I did not give him great stamina (he's at 70) but enough to get through 5 innings if he keeps his pitch count down.

Also, getting back to Cepeda, he's a beast when he's hitting. Against Chicago (at Wrigley) he blasted 3 HR's in the first game of a doubleheader with 8 RBI"s! Game two he drove in 5 with a sac fly, HR, Double, and Single. What a day! What's ironic is HardcoreLegend had him also crushing the ball at Wrigley. Of course the next 7 games Cepeda falls into a slump with an occasional single or sac fly. That's what's so cool about this game. I go games without a single HR from anybody. More true to life in 67...

Ah yes, you are correct --- it was Briles I was referring to but said Hughes by mistake ......... in the latest edition of '67 Briles's stamina was increased to 58.

That is a new adjustment we have implemented across the board when a primary position RP pitcher is placed in the Starting Rotation we increase his formulized Stamina rating by +16.

Thanks ---- that approach came from conversations just like this one.

I too have lockups (not crashes) every 15-20 games or so and I haven't pinpointed any particular cause for them as they happened with different teams in different stadiums etc... I just restart and never have any problems continuing. I view those as just Rainouts but unfortnately they most often happen in the later innings of a game.

That's how I handle it as well - it's somewhat disappointing when it happens; but in all reality, it's about the same feeling I get when a well-played game gets called due to weather. Stuff happens I guess.

I have even begun my retirement room that is centered around this game. I will even have an old baseball stadium working turnstile to enter the room with 3 authentic oldtime stadium seats in it. Many Danbury Mint Stadiums replicas; Danbury Mint Player figurines along with McFarlane figurines and many many more items all from the '60s. Baseball Playing Field carpeted floor and Baseball Stadium wallpaper with Blue Sky ceilings. Vast assortment of old Magazines; Posters; books; DVDs etc all around the room.

I am looking at what to get for the largest high quality screen to play this game on and even considering a large HDTV if I can maintain the quality of the picture during gameplay. There will be 2 other TVs in this room playing some of the massive collection of DVDs of baseball games from the '60s that I have collected over time.

My Wife has finally given in to all of this because she now knows how committed I am to it --- my kids bought into the idea long ago as now things to all to my Retirement Room are the only presents I get from them these days !!!

Life is GOOD !!!

THANKS TO ALL !

Don

Has to be one of the coolest ideas I've ever heard. I just told my friend about it and he's loving the idea. We can't stop talking about it :D

Ah yes, you are correct --- it was Briles I was referring to but said Hughes by mistake ......... in the latest edition of '67 Briles's stamina was increased to 58.

That is a new adjustment we have implemented across the board when a primary position RP pitcher is placed in the Starting Rotation we increase his formulized Stamina rating by +16.

Thanks ---- that approach came from conversations just like this one.

Latest edition? Additional changes? Guess I better go have a look...

I am traveling so I can't write them all down now but if you take a look at www.raresportsfilms.com you might get a feel for some of the better ones I have.

Those are DVD highlights from the 57 WS through the 69 WS each independently produced as packaged DVD sets. I also have some of the Sports Illustrated WS DVDs but fine the rare sports ones to be better. Plus of course the 10 Volume Baseball by Ken Burns.

I have the complete 1969 game in color between the Phillies and Cubs from Wrigley plus several other partial games.

I probably have 25-30 DVDs (not counting that 10 Volume "Baseball" set in that number) of various '60s baseball stuff. One called Legends, one about the '64 Phillies collapse, one about Oldtime Ballparks; one called When it Was A Game etc etc etc ........

Thursday or so when I return home I will list them in this thread so you will know in case you care to go look for them.

My real pride of my collection are the 10-20 old baseball magazines I have from each year from 1960-1969 which totals almost 200 or so. Plus I have almost every Baseball Digest from that time period and it was a monthly publication (probably missing like only 15 or so of the 110 issues -- they actually issued 11 per year).

I really use that stuff before undertaking a Full Season Mod. Such as I am doing now by reading the 17 baseball magazines I have from 1964. It really helps with player ratings, appearances, uniforms and such - not to mention I enjoy the heck out of it.

Bobolini,

The latest enhancements to TC*61 & TC67 are not released yet. They will be probably after TC64 is released.

Those enhancements include mostly better face matches; a few rating tweaks from discoveries we have made since releaseing those mods; along with a few Batting Stance/Pitcher Delivery improvements etc....... only roster enhancements not any loading screens; portraits; music etc type enhancements.

Most of those enhancements come from me reading through those magazines and digest I mentioned above.

As we release Full Season Mods from the '60s we will also retro fit changes to the previously released Mods so they all remain consistent. In other words Curt Flood will look pretty much the same throughout the '60s relative to Batting Stance etc but may use batting gloves in the later '60s releases.

My real pride of my collection are the 10-20 old baseball magazines I have from each year from 1960-1969 which totals almost 200 or so. Plus I have almost every Baseball Digest from that time period and it was a monthly publication (probably missing like only 15 or so of the 110 issues -- they actually issued 11 per year).

He He! I used to slide a baseball digest into the middle of my cathocism book and pretend I was following along with the class in reading but was actually reading BD! Did it for years...am I going to hell????

Don, this is the way I played out my '67 season. I started out with the gamepad but was having too much trouble hitting all the breaking balls and knuckleballs those guys throw, and my W-L record reflected that fact. At that point, I changed to a mix of simming and CPU vs CPU, plus started using the datafile and sliders you suggested. That resulted in the Tigers winning more games, but there was an extreme lack of run production, I mean extreme. I nudged up the hitting sliders into the plus zone, creating more of the 7-6 variety along with some nice comebacks by various teams. I then decreased those sliders slightly and that worked great. Of course, when I simmed the AI would level it out and I'd see low run games most of the time.

I've always had that problem with runners being thrown out at home, with all the different MVP applications. I have sped up the baserunners so that a guy can score from secondbase on a single most of the time, and a runner on first with two outs can score on a gapper. Now an out at the plate is a big deal in a game, as it should be. I wish I could speed up the hitters out of the box, so I wouldn't see a thirdbaseman make a diving stop, tumble into foul ground, drop the ball, pick it up, sign two autographs and still throw out the guy with plenty to spare. :)

I'm most impressed that I didn't have to change any player ratings. You really nailed that. Some guys played over their heads, and some below. As it should be.

I only had one lockup, and I believe that was caused by a camera mod I used, then dropped. The crashes always occurred at the game loading screen (as you know about), so no big deal to just re-start.

All in all, no real complaints, as witnessed by the fact that I finished the entire season.

The one thing I'd like most to see in season mods is more ballparks, with both night and day versions. Dream on, right? :)

Cash#25,

Thanks so much for that input.

But "Dream on, right?" is what this has all been about ---- so never stop dreaming and sharing those dreams !!!

When we first conceived Total Classics our Dream was "Truly" to have a hand full of old time Cyberfaces; a dozen or so Oldtime Audios for player names; 30-60 Oldtime Teams from various ERAs and that was about it. Trust me --- we laugh about those thoughts back then often today !!!

But our real "Dream" was that others would catch on to this love for recreating Oldtime Baseball and things would grow from there!

Man! Has it ever succeeded! Thanks to the So Many Great Modders and Oldtime enthusiast look where we have come.

We can now play with any team during a Dynasty; even play like 3 different games on any given day with 6 different teams; we have superb Stats; we can go straight to the Playoffs and even select which teams we want to participate; we can update Player attributes even during a dynasty .........

We have 120+ Teams in Total Classics; we have TC*61 & TC67 Full Season Mods with 1978; 1987; 1988 & 1994 on the horizon not to mention 1964 ....... likely will eventually have every '60s season plus who know how many more Full Season Mods will be coming like '55/'75 all this to come greatly due to Robert Glass's new .mbe Migration Utility for MVPEdit ...........

We have 100s of Oldtime Cyberfaces; 100s of Audios; all kind of Portraits ---- More Stadiums from different ERAs coming every day --- both Day & Night Versions ----------->

Dreaming is what has brought all this stuff to us !!!

So Let's ALL "DREAM ON" Together ....................

Not too mention we have Every Uniform ever worn by the Houston Colts/Astros and even have someone working on the entire history of uniforms worn by the Chicago White Sox ............ Now that is a daunting task !!!

I would have never even Dreamed of something like that coming about ............

I second the request fro more "era specific" parks. I think this one visual enhancement could possibly add the most as far as atmosphere goes when playing a full season mod like 1961 or 1967.

What I am suggesting is probably too massive an undertaking, but how cool would it be to have a 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, etc. version of each ballpark? I mean only parks that were valid for that era. No Astrodome in the 1950's!

We have a few already - classic Yankee stadium from early 60's, Ebbets Field, Forbes from the 1950's. But wouldn't it be great to play in a 1975 version of Riverfront? How about a 1969 version of Shea and also a 1986 version? Or a 1965 Comiskey and also a 1977 Comiskey? Things like that could really bring the era alive...just as year specific uniforms have, or flapless helmets, etc...

Just my $.02...

C

What I am suggesting is probably too massive an undertaking, but how cool would it be to have a 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, etc. version of each ballpark?

Yes. This is what we need. I wish I knew more about stadium modding to help with this endeavor.

I've been trying to do it. As you can see, I've done a bit of work to Wrigley to bring it back a bit. The problem is finding photos of the stadiums year specific.

Getty is ok, however most photos are taken of players when they came to New York or Washington.

I've got a ton of work done on Busch Stadium II but there is still a long way to go.

Riverfront is almost impossible because the version in the game now is missing half of the stadium (due to the construction of GABP).

I'd love to turn Veteran's, The Astrodome, Shea, and Dodger Stadium back, while creating a 60's-70's version of Fulton County Stadium.

I only really play in the NL (Cardinals), so the stadiums we need are:

St.Louis - Busch Stadium

SanFranc - Candlestick Park

ChicagoC - Wrigley Field

Cincnnti - Crosley Field

Phildlpa - Shibe Park

Pittsbgh - Forbes Field

Atlanta - Fulton County Stadium

LosAngls - Dodger Stadium

Houston - Astrodome

NewYorkM - Shea Stadium

Busch Stadium - Currently working on, stadium exists but needs overhaul

Candlestick Park - SeanO built stadium, needs graphical 'throwbacks'

Wrigley Field - Exists, need good photos to finish turning it back

Crosley Field - believe paulw or someone recently released a version

Shibe Park - Unknown how much work has been done

Forbes Field - paulw has done wonderful work here

Fulton County Stadium - needs completely built

Dodger Stadium - Basic structure still same, needs graphical changes all throughout.

Astrodome - Current version in game barely resembles the classic version.

Shea Stadium - Basically the same structurely, needs graphical modifications.

I'd love to see night and day versions, where possible, of any park from at least the 60s forward. I'm currently playing the 1967 World Series at night. Seems strange.

Hey Don, you know I just said yesterday that I'd only had one lockup? Had another, at a bad time. The Pirates have a two games to none lead, and they held a 5-1 lead in the third inning of game three when bam! lockup. Bad time for a "rainout" for Pittsburgh. I'll have to put that down as a three day rain.

My crashes usually happen just before I hit "play game". Every once in a while it will crash after a game but in 126 games that's happen maybe 4 times. I do save after every game because it's really frustrating if I play two good games and start a third only to have it crash and boom! I've lost those two games prior. All in all it hasn't been a big issue since I started saving after each game.

Bobolini,

You are doing really well then on these crashes / lockups situations.

I think the crash after you have already played 1 or 2 games without exiting and restarting the game happens even with the vanilla out of the box game.

I use to have those types of crashes almost every time when I tried to play multiple games without restarting the entire game when I was doing testing. If I played enough games (sometimes as many as 5 before it would happen) it would always happen without fail. So I started always Saving as you said after each game.

So if those are your main experiences then your setup is working fabulous.

What type of video card do you have and how much Memory on your system?

Archived