Total Classics Madness :D

sfgiantsflgators

Who's going to win Total Classics Madness?  

17 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1909 Pirates
    • 1979 Pirates
    • 1965 Twins
    • 1965 Bums

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pool 2, Round 1

Giants Fold In The Ninth, Fall 3-1

41rsox54giantsko2.png

dimjm4.png

Dom DiMaggio singles in the fifth inning, driving home Jim Tabor for the first run of the ballgame.

darkjb7.png

Alvin Dark trots around the diamond after tying the game with a solo shot in the seventh inning.

pytmc6.png

Frankie Pytlak slides home, scoring on a single by pinch hitter Lou Finney in the ninth inning. Bobby

Doerr also scored on the play.

bosay1.png

Red Sox closer Mike Ryba celebrates Boston's 3-1 upset of the Giants.

Scoring

T5: DiMaggio single scores Tabor

B7: Dark solo HR

T9: Finney single scores Doerr, Pytlak

W - Hughson L - Spencer S - Ryba

Players of the Game:

Lou Finney 1-1, 2 RBI

Charlier Wagner 6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 6 K

For Boxscore, click here

Pool 2, Round 1

Bum Rush: Dodgers Score Four In Final Two Innings In 4-2 Victory

42browns55bumsln2.png

judod7.png

Wally Judnich opens up the scoring with a two run homerun in the first inning.

gilllr1.pngsnicatchja6.png

The Dodgers defense came to play today, making plays all over the field. Two of the most spectacular

were made by Jim Gilliam (left) and Duke Snider (right).

nonoyo3.png

Browns hurler Johnny Niggeling was perfect through 5.2 innings before intentionally walking Don

Newcombe. He kept his no-hitter intact until a single by Carl Furillo shot by him in the eighth inning.

hodmb8.png

After Furillo's single in the eighth, the stage was set for Gil Hodges to tie the game - and he did so

with a two run homerun.

walkvn1.pngheronk2.png

Duke Snider finishes the Dodger comeback, ending the game with a two run homerun to right field in

the bottom of the ninth. Jim Gilliam meets Snider at home to start the celebration.

Scoring

T1: Judnich two run HR

B8: Hodges two run HR

B9: Snider two run HR

W - Bessent L - Sundra

Game Notes:

Johnny Niggeling was perfect through 5.2 innings before an intentional walk to opposing pitcher Don

Newcombe. Newcombe was walked intentionally twice in the game.

Players of the Game:

Duke Snider 1-4, GW HR, 2 RBI

Gil Hodges 1-3, HR, 2 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

Pool 2, Round 1

McLain Tosses Four-Hitter, Tigers Win 4-0

64colt68tigtj3.png

stanleycu4.png

Mickey Stanley singles to center in the fifth inning, scoring Bill Freehan for the first run of the game.

hortoneo5.png

Willie Horton connects for a solo homerun in the sixth inning.

northrupue9.png

The next batter, Jim Northrup, followed Horton's blast with one of his own, putting the Tigers up 3-0.

freehanqy5.png

Bill Freehan adds one more run to the Tigers assault with a solo homerun in the eighth inning.

mclainzc0.png

Detroit starter Denny McLain was stellar, allowing just four hits while striking out seven in a shutout

effort. Here is his seventh victim, Bob Aspromonte, watching a third strike in the ninth inning.

Scoring

B5: Stanley single scores Freehan

B6: Horton solo HR; Northrup solo HR

B8: Freehan solo HR

W - McLain L - Bruce

Players of the Game:

Bill Freehan 2-3, HR, RBI

Denny McLain 9 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 7 K

For Boxscore, click here

Pool 2, Round 1

Hershiser Holds Cubs To Two Hits, Punches Out Nine In 3-0 Victory

69cubs88bumswi2.png

becklo2.png

Glenn Beckert makes a great diving stop to rob Kirk Gibson of a hit but can't prevent Orel Hershiser

from scoring the first run of the game.

marshio9.png

Mike Marshall drives in two with a homerun in the third inning, putting the Dodgers up 3-0. It was the

last scoring play of the day.

youngnf4.png

Hershiser struck out nine batters today - one of which was Don Young in the fifth inning.

hershhx6.png

Orel Hershiser takes in his surroundings after getting Billy Williams to fly out for the last out of the

game.

Scoring

B3: Gibson grounds out to second, Hershiser scores; Marshall two run HR

W - Hershiser L - Jenkins

Game Notes:

What was originally ruled a single by Jim Hickman in the fifth inning was later ruled an error on Dodger

first baseman Franklin Stubbs. That makes Hickman 0-3 on the day and puts the total Cubs hits at two.

Players of the Game:

Mike Marshall 1-4, HR, 2 RBI

Orel Hershiser 9 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 9 K

For Boxscore, click here

Pool 2, Round 1

Tudor K's 12, Ford Slams Cards Into Round 2

87cards90redszs8.png

mcgeedl3.png

Willie McGee slides across home, scoring on a single by Jose Oquendo in the second inning.

fordhv4.png

Curt Ford gave the Cardinals all the runs they would need with one swing of the bat in the fourth

inning, clearing the bases with a grand slam to right field.

larkinqx6.png

The lone Cincinnati run came in the sixth inning when Paul O'Neil singled home Barry Larkin.

sabowf4.png

Chris Sabo looks on in disbelief as the Reds head home from the tournament with an early first round

exit.

Scoring

T2: Oquendo single scores McGee

T4: Ford GS

B6: O'Neil single scores Larkin

T7: Smith triple scores Tudor

W - Tudor L - Rijo

Game Notes:

Cincinnati first baseman Hal Morris left the game in the top of the first inning with a knee injury. Morris

came up limping after stretching to catch an errant pickoff attempt by Jose Rijo...Curt Ford left the

game in the top of the sixth inning after injuring himself sliding into second base in an attempt to break

up a double play. No word yet on the extent of the injury.

Players of the Game:

Curt Ford 1-3, GS, 4 RBI

John Tudor 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 12 K

For Boxscore, click here

Damn, that was only the first pool!

Nice thing here, keep it up?

heh...yep, three more to go :D

I think it's about 120 games long - which in the "dynasty" aspect of it comes out to be less than someone who plays every game of a regular dynasty. It'll be the longest I've done though as I usually just play the first game of each series in a dynasty.

With the teams being different most games though, it stays pretty fresh and fun. Thanks for checking in! :popcorn:

Pool 2, Round 1

Mets Look Solid In 5-2 Win Over Pilots

69pil86metsvx8.png

cargr6.png

Gary Carter drives in the first Mets run of the game with a single in the first inning, scoring Lenny

Dykstra.

santrq6.png

Rafael Santana executes the hit and run perfectly here, lining a double into the right field corner,

scoring Wally Backman.

dykmn7.png

Lenny Dykstra had a monster day, going 3-4 with a double and two RBI. Here he connects for said

double, scoring Dwight Gooden in the second inning.

davmu4.png

Tommy Davis pulls the Pilots within striking distance with a two run home run in the seventh inning.

He was the last batter Dwight Gooden would face.

bagmm8.pngkniyh1.png

With runners on first and second and two outs, Steve Hovley came to the plate representing the tying

run in the ninth inning. Hovley shot one down the third base line, hitting the bag and jumping up on

Mets third bagger Ray Knight. Staying with it, Knight knocked the ball down and rifled a throw across

the diamond, getting Hovely by a half step and securing the victory for the Mets.

Scoring

B1: Carter single scores Dykstra

B2: Santana double scores Backman; Gooden sacrifice hit, safe at first and advances to third on error

by Brabender, Santana scores; Dykstra double scores Gooden

B4: Dykstra single scores Wilson

T7: Davis two run HR

W - Gooden L - Brabender S - Orosco

Game Notes:

Originally ruled a single, Lenny Dykstra's hit in the second inning was changed to a double. The official

scorer originally thought that Dykstra went to second on the throw but later determined that he would

have made it to second safely in any instance.

Players of the Game:

Lenny Dykstra 3-4, 2B, 2 SB, 2 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

heh...yep, three more to go :D

I think it's about 120 games long - which in the "dynasty" aspect of it comes out to be less than someone who plays every game of a regular dynasty. It'll be the longest I've done though as I usually just play the first game of each series in a dynasty.

With the teams being different most games though, it stays pretty fresh and fun. Thanks for checking in! :popcorn:

If you wanted to delegate out one of the pools, Id be more than happy to play it. But I could never get the box score extractor to work.

If you wanted to delegate out one of the pools, Id be more than happy to play it. But I could never get the box score extractor to work.

nah, i'm having a blast playing with all the classic teams - plus it gives me something to do for a month or so while i wait for baseball to return

as for the extractor, you should PM tywiggins and see if he can help. i couldn't get it to work at first either but he helped out quite a bit.

Archived