Total Classics Madness :D

sfgiantsflgators

Who's going to win Total Classics Madness?  

17 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1909 Pirates
    • 1979 Pirates
    • 1965 Twins
    • 1965 Bums

Pool 2, Round 1

M&M Power Yanks Into Round 2

61sens61yanksmd3.png

marmn9.png

Roger Maris drives in the first runs of the ballgame with a two run home run in the third inning.

manqk1.png

Two innnings later, Mickey Mantle adds a homerun of his own, a three run shot to right field.

richua8.pngboyfv7.png

Poor Bob Johnson. Johnson couldn't catch a break today, twice getting robbed of a hit by a Yankee

infielder. The first occurance happened in the first inning when second bagger Bobby Richardson (left)

made a diving stop, throwing Johnson out from his knees. The second came in the seventh inning when

Johnson lined a sure hit between the shortstop and third, only to see Clete Boyer (right) come up with

the ball in time to get Johnson at first.

whitti2.png

Whitey Ford went the distance today, shutting out the Senators while allowing just five hits.

Scoring

B1: Maris two run HR

B2: Mantle three run HR

W - Ford L - Donovan

Players of the Game:

Roger Maris 2-4, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R

Whitey Ford 9 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 K

For Boxscore, click here

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pool 2, Round 1

A's Out-Hit, But Not Out-Scored Thanks To A Stellar Catfish

86rsox74asdf7.png

rudilr2.png

Joe Rudi double off the left field wall in the second inning. Rudi would later score on a two out single

by Ray Fosse.

evansgl8.png

With the bases loaded and one out in the third inning, Boston would send up Jim Rice and Dwight

Evans (pictured). Catfish Hunter would strike out both, Rice looking and Evans swinging, to get out of

the jam.

jackth3.png

Reggie Jackson heads back to the dugout following his solo homerun in the sixth inning.

cathn9.png

Catfish Hunter pitched well for the A's today, going seven shutout innings, allowing seven hits while

striking out nine.

Scoring

B2: Fosse single scores Rudi

B6: Jackson solo HR

W - Hunter L - Clemens S - Fingers

Game Notes:

Jim Rice went 0-4 on the day with four strikeouts, leaving a total of six on base. Rice came up in the

third with the bases loaded and struck out looking. He came up again in the eighth inning, representing

the go ahead run, with runners on first and second and two outs. Rice would go down swinging at the

hands of Rollie Fingers.

Players of the Game:

Reggie Jackson 1-3, HR, RBI

Catfish Hunter 7 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 9 K

For Boxscore, click here

Pool 2, Round 1

Pirates Hitting On All Cylinders As They Enter Round 2

19wsox60pirro9.png

stumu2.png

D1ck Stuart lines a single up the middle, scoring Bill Virdon for the first run of the game.

virbq7.png

Bill Virdon reached base every time he came to the plate today (once on an error) as he went 3-4.

Here, he drives in his second run of the game with a solo homerun in the seventh inning.

burgv3.png

Later in the seventh inning, Smoky Burgess drove in the last two runs of the game, plating D1ck

Groat and Bob Skinner with a single to left.

frigm7.png

Bob Friend went the distance, allowing just six hits while striking out seven in a shutout effort.

Scoring

B1: Stuart single scores Virdon

B3: Stuart sacrifice fly scores Virdon

B4: Virdon single scores Hoak

B5: Clemente sacrifice fly scores Skinner

B7: Virdon solo HR; Burgess single scores Groat, Skinner

W - Friend L - Cicotte

Game Notes:

Eddie Cicotte left the game in the bottom of the sixth inning with an arm injury. Cicotte had thrown

104 pitches at the time of his exit. No word on the extent of the injury.

Players of the Game:

Bill Virdon 3-4, HR, 2 RBI

Bob Friend 9 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 7 K

For Boxscore, click here

Pool 2, Round 1

Yankees Get To Ryan In Fifth, Win 2-0

73angs41yankshg1.png

henwn3.png

Tommy Henrich gets the first run for the Yankees in the fifth inning, singling home Marius Russo.

rizfh9.png

The next batter, Joe DiMaggio, singles as well, plating Phil Rizzuto.

rolio2.png

Vada Pinson came to the plate as the tying run in the ninth inning, but a great play by Yankee third

baseman Red Rolfe sent New York home with a 2-0 victory.

Scoring

B5: Henrich single scores Russo; DiMaggio single scores Rizzuto

W - Russo L - Ryan

Players of the Game:

Tommy Henrich 2-4, RBI

Joe DiMaggio 2-4, RBI

Marius Russo 9 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 4 K

For Boxscore, click here

That was a great game. A true classic. Good luck with the next few games!

Yeah, that was one of my favorite games so far. Probably because Nolan Ryan was the first pitcher I idolized, so basically anytime he's involved in something, I'm interested.

Would have been nice to see him vs DiMaggio in real life :D

Should be a good pitcher's duel. If you have a job or a life you will have to quit so we can get these games played and the updates faster ;-) As I said before-I'm hooked.

:lol: Glad you're enjoying it!

Well, with the offseason in full force, I'm not too busy at work - hence the amount of games played the last couple weeks. Figure I'll have spurts through the rest of the holiday season where I don't have much to do...so you should have a decent amount of updates :D

And you were right about it being a pitcher's duel - thought it might go on forever...Iowa Baseball Confederacy type stuff.

New York versus New York. Who will win? Lol, looking forward to more.

I'm going with the the team from the 70's.

Pool 2, Round 1

Guidry Does It All As Yankees Win Classic Duel 1-0

73mets78yankslh7.png

guidnc9.pngseaif6.png

The story of the game was the performance of the starters. Neither starter allowed a run in the

contest, with Guidry (left - striking out Willie Mays in the first inning) going the distance. Seaver (right)

was pulled in the eighth, having thrown 106 pitches, in favor of a lefty/lefty matchup.

millbc8.pngrandho8.png

In a game filled with spectacular defensive plays, the second basemen shined the brightest. Mets

second bagger Felix Millan (left) robs his counterpart, Willie Randolph, in the fifth inning. Randolph (right)

shows his abilities, snagging a line drive by Tom Seaver in the sixth.

guihitor9.pngrandgweb1.png

guidslidear0.pngmundenthz1.png

In a controversial move, Yankee manager Bob Lemon left Ron Guidry (top left) in to hit with the bases

empty and one out in the ninth inning. Guidry delivered with a double into left center, setting up Willie

Randolph (top right) after an intentional walk to Mickey Rivers. With the count 1-2, Randolph lined a

single up the middle, plating Guidry (bottom left) for the winning run. In the dugout, Thurman Munson

and Bucky Dent (bottom right, left to right) celebrate the hard fought victory.

Scoring

B9: Randolph single scores Guidry

W - Guidry L - Capra

Players of the Game:

Willie Randolph 2-5, GW RBI

Ron Guidry 1-3, 2B, GW R; 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 5 K

Tom Seaver 7.2 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 7 K

For Boxscore, click here

Great game-that is why this is so much fun. That result could actually have happened.

I really thought that game was going to last all day - both teams had chances but there were some great defensive plays. Seaver got out of a jam in the third when the Yanks had runners on 2nd and 3rd and no outs. He got Nettles and Jackson swinging - then Pinella lined out.

A side note: I'd never seen this animation before, but the picture with Munson and Dent...Munson kept going for the high five but Dent looked at everyone but him. Finally, Munson gave up. It was pretty funny - got "left hanging". :D

Archived