Total Classics Madness :D

sfgiantsflgators

Who's going to win Total Classics Madness?  

17 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1909 Pirates
    • 1979 Pirates
    • 1965 Twins
    • 1965 Bums

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tcmchamps7ni.jpg

09pir65twin5uf.png

1min5ay.png

A muff by Minnesota first baseman Don Mincher in the first inning led to an early 1-0 lead for the Pir-

ates. With two outs and runners on the corners, Dots Miller grounded weakly to third base, seemingly

ending the inning. But Mincher dropped a perfect throw from Harmon Killebrew, allowing Tommy Leach

to score.

2kill6dq.png

In the bottom of the second, Harmon Killebrew tied the game 1-1 with a solo home run to left. Kill-

ebrew, the MVP of Pool 2, had a solid game today, going 2-4 with a home run and a RBI.

3oli4ox.png

Tony Oliva put Minnesota up for good in the fourth inning, driving in the final run of the game with a

blast into the right-center field fountains.

4dp3tq.png

The Pirates had a few opportunities to score today, but poor execution led to disappointment after

disappointment. Here, Chief Wilson slides into second as George Gibson hits into a 3-6-3 double play

to end the sixth. Dots Miller started off the inning with a double, but was stranded at third by Gibson.

5wor2ma.png

Minnesota closer Al Worthington got Minnesota fans worried as he surrendered a double to Chief Wil-

son to start the ninth...

6stor5qn.png

...but after Bill Abstein sacrificed Chief Wilson to second, Worthington got pinch-hitter Ham Hyatt to

ground out before striking out pinch-hitter Alan Storke with a filthy curveball to end the game.

7kill3vt.png

Harmon Killebrew celebrates with teammates after finally winning a championship. During the post-

game press conference, Killebrew had this to say:

"Obviously, a World Series title is still the thing I want the most. But to win a tournament of this caliber,

against 119 of the best teams of all time...that's a great honor. My teammates and I are very proud of

what we accomplished here today."

Scoring

T1: Miller reaches on an error by the first baseman, Leach scores

B2: Killebrew solo HR

B4: Oliva solo HR

W - Kaat L - Camnitz S - Worthington

Total Classics Madness Championship Game Co-MVPs:

Harmon Killebrew 2-4, HR, RBI

Tony Oliva 2-3, HR, RBI, BB

For Boxscore, click here

Who would have figured when this started that the '65 Twins would win it all. Teams like the '27 Yanks, '75 Reds, '70 Orioles off the top of my head would have been easy picks to win. The Pirates lacked a home run hitter that would have helped them in this. Now you can rest.

Who would have figured when this started that the '65 Twins would win it all. Teams like the '27 Yanks, '75 Reds, '70 Orioles off the top of my head would have been easy picks to win. The Pirates lacked a home run hitter that would have helped them in this. Now you can rest.

I didn't become a believer until Round 3 of Pool 2 - and even then, I thought the '27 Yanks would pimp slap Kaat.

Been a lot of fun - glad everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Let me know what you guys liked, what you didn't like, etc. so that when I start my new dynasty I can make improvements.

Thanks again to everyone for following! :D

Great job man, this was a real fun tournament.

Any idea what you might be doing next?

The plan right now is to do a Giants dynasty centered around the moves that I would have made this offseason. Basically, a youth movement.

kgbaseball came up with a great title for it and I'm currently smoothing out some ideas. Once I figure out how the 25-man is going to shake out, I'll check in on MVP 07 and the URP to see what kind of release dates, if any, are being discussed and get ready to fire it up.

Sfgiants/gator dude, this is the best dynasty I had the pleasure to follow. The only thing I didn't like was the end result, but that's not important. :)

Thanks a lot for that high compliment :D

Guess the glass half-full way to look at it is that the '98 and '27 Yanks both lost to the eventual champs.

And I still think Jim was on to something about Fairly and the Bums cheating their way into the Final Four...

Wow, that was one helluva ride! Congratulations on finishing this gigantic tournament, sfgiantsflgators!

btw, how many games did you play in total?

gracias and such. :D

if i can add correctly: there were 29 games per pool, 4 pools. so that equals 116.

3 games in the Final Four. 116 + 3 = 119

around the second round of pool 2, i began wondering what i had gotten myself into. but it was fun - as i think i mentioned a month or so ago, it's not often you get to play as christy mathewson or go up against willie mays. :D

man what a great dynasty, maybe one of the best dynasties ever in Mvpmods, thanks sfgiantsflgators

well thanks a lot man - i'm very glad you enjoyed it. hopefully i haven't set the bar too high for myself with regards to future dynasties :D

speaking of which, i have started piecing together the parts for my Giants dynasty. since i learned earlier that you can start a dynasty in mvp 06 and continue it upon the release of mvp 07, i should be ready to go once the new URP comes out - give or take a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived