Total Classics Madness :D

sfgiantsflgators

Who's going to win Total Classics Madness?  

17 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1909 Pirates
    • 1979 Pirates
    • 1965 Twins
    • 1965 Bums

Pool 4 MVP: Ron Fairly

Pool 4 Stats:

6-18 (.333), 2B, 4 HR, 7 RBI, 6 R

Fairly scored at least one run in every game.

Real Life Career Stats:

1913-7184 (.266), 307 2B, 33 3B, 215 HR, 1044 RBI

-Twice he finished fourth in the NL in sacrifice hits, in 1962 (with 11) and in 1965 (with 14).

-He finished second in the NL in sacrifice flies in 1967 with 8.

-He finished second in the NL in OBP in 1973 (.422).

-He finished third in the NL in intentional walks in 1977 with 11.

-He was the oldest player in the AL in 1978 at the age of 39.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams in the Total Classics Final Four: 1979 Pirates, 1965 Twins, 1909 Pirates, 1965 Dodgers

Well, the time has come. 120 teams entered the Total Classics Madness tournament - just four are left standing.

Seeding:

#1 1979 Pirates

#2 1965 Twins

#3 1965 Dodgers

#4 1909 Pirates

The first Final Four game features a matchup between two World Series Champions; and if that wasn't enough, they're from the same franchise! The 1979 Pirates went through the 1971 and 1991 versions of the Pittsburgh franchise in Round 1 - can they go through one more?

In the second Final Four game, we have a rematch of the 1965 World Series, which the Dodgers won 4-3. Can the Twins get revenge in this one game battle?

Stay tuned - the end is near.

Enjoy!

totalclassicsfinalfour8nn.jpg

How the heck did the Yankees not make it to the finals?!??! :(

I blame it on rampant steroid use by the teams that beat them. Did you see how high Ron Fairly jumped above the wall to pull back that homerun ball? He must have been juicing!

I plan to ask for a congressional investigation, or at least a thorough analysis of all game results by sfgiantsflgators once the tournament has been completed. :smile:

I blame it on rampant steroid use by the teams that beat them. Did you see how high Ron Fairly jumped above the wall to pull back that homerun ball? He must have been juicing!

I plan to ask for a congressional investigation, or at least a thorough analysis of all game results by sfgiantsflgators once the tournament has been completed. :smile:

lol

lol...thats pretty funny

After 3 months it is almost over-What a monumental task this was. I am going to miss these. What is your next project? The individuals that created the players on the Dodgers made the players with too many hot zones. Check it out sometime.

As a Yankees fan, steroids are the only logical explanation I can think of for none of the Yankee teams making it to the finals. :shrug:

As a Total Classics team member, and to preserve the integrity of Total Classics, I feel it is my duty to tweak the rosters of some of the Yankee teams so that if a similar tournament is run again, at least one Yankee team will make it to the Final Four. :wink:

Too many great lines to quote... :D

tebjr was right - the Pirates won the game. the recap will be up in a bit.

Jim, I think we all know the Dodgers are a bunch of cheating bums. Unfortunately, they haven't been caught yet. We here at Total Classics Madness assure everyone that all eyes are on Los Angeles - if they slip up, we'll catch it. :D

112155: I'm glad you, and everyone else, have enjoyed this. I'm surprised that it's almost over...it's been loads of fun. As for my next project, I'm doing a Giants dynasty that I'm still working over the particulars on. Basically, it'll be centered on a youth movement.

Total Classics Madness, Final Four

'09 Pirates Blank '79 Variety, Earn Birth In Championship Game

09pir79pir8qo.png

2wil2xu.png

The '09 Pirates got off to a quick start, loading the bases with one out in the top of the first inning.

After Dots Miller hit an infield fly for the second out, Chief Wilson (pictured) knocked in Bobby Byrne

and Fred Clarke with a double for a 2-0 lead.

3par0oo.png

In a sight that was seen 10 times today, a 1979 Pirates hitter goes down swinging. On this occasion,

Pool 1 MVP Dave Parker goes down in the first inning, the second of three first inning strikeouts for

Howie Camnitz.

4cam7pb.png

Howie Camnitz pitched brilliantly for the '09 Pirates today, allowing just two hits over seven shutout

innings while punching out nine.

5hy7rf.png

For good measure, the '09 Pirates plated two runs in the top of the ninth to take a 4-0 lead. The sec-

ond run of the frame would be scored on a single by pinch-hitter Ham Hyatt, knocking in Chief Wilson.

Scoring

T1: Wilson double scores Byrne, Clarke

T9: Gibson single scores Miller;Hyatt single scores Wilson

W - Camnitz L - Candelaria

Player of the Game:

Howie Camnitz 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 9 K

Chief Wilson 3-4, 2B, 2 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

looks like there's a lot of love for the '65 squads - 3 votes for each.

if you guys want the championship game to be played in a stadium other than that of the home team (which will be whoever wins the '65 game), throw out your suggestions now. more than a couple people are going to have to get involved in this decision for me to change it though - so even if you're just passing through, throw out a stadium name! :D

for the '65 game, u should use a stadium big then, maybe who hosted the WS if its been created already

as has always been in baseball (and hopefully will be), the home team hosts the game in the World Series. so, in 1965, Dodger Stadium and Metropolitan Stadium were the sites for the 1965 World Series games as the Dodgers and Twins faced off.

since the Twins are the higher ranked in this tournament (and, coincidentally, the Twins had home field advantage in 1965), Metropolitan Stadium will be used. :D

Archived