So I'm considering a pitching tutor for my kid....

Gordo

I take hitting lessons for 70/hour once a week, the price is high but he’s a former pro (Blue Jays) so it’s a little different, plus my average has gone up from .279 on JV last year to .362 this year on Varsity as a Junior so I’m not complaining.

So yeah the price is good for you but I would go a couple weeks and see if your son likes it, remember if he doesn’t enjoy the lesson he probably won’t take anything out of it.

Also at fifteen make sure he starts lifting and like Bonny said get him to start running if he isn’t already. Leg strength is extremely critical to pitching velocity.

Make sure he is doing the right kind of exercises. As a pitcher, I know the bench press and the military press are horrible for a pitcher. I increased my velocity from 63 my freshman year in high school to 88 my senior year. You may ask how I did that? Well, I increased my functional strength. I did alot of multi directional lunges, and did alot of pushups. Make sure he is stretching everyday. Thats how you develop your arm to be used like a whip.

Also, there is alot of misleading information out there. I would say most pitching instructors don't know where the pitcher develops his power from. Then again, there is some really good ones out there. Just be careful in your choice. You dont want some guy teaching your son some bulls**t.

As a pitcher then you should know W/L is a completely useless stat.

Steve Trachsel.

Yea W/L is pretty useless stat. If I was looking for a pitcher I would look at ERA and K/BB per inning. That will tell if a pitcher is good or not.

High school Varsity. Credit I did play for a smaller school, but the competition was still the same. Almost played junior college ball until my shoulder dislocated the middle of my senior year. oh well. I just posted my stats to show that sometimes you don't need a tutor. It depends on the kind of kid you are.

my pitching coach has me do the towel drill right before i pitch to him, and i was wondering if it is bad for your pitching? because he said it is good for my delivery, getting my arm long and making it act like a whip, and i read somewhere else that it kills your pitching. who is right?

It can hurt if you do wrong and if you over work it. Before you pitch you just want to get loose. If you over work it it can be harmful. I always did some arm stretches then through a 20-30 pitch easy bullpen session before I took the mound. Some people take longer than that to get loose, others take a lot less.

I have a 12 year old brother whose coach has this idea for the kids to warm up with heavy balls. Isn't this a stupid idea? I thought playing with waterlogged balls could ruin your arm, won't heavy balls do the same? Like when my brother warms up, the coach makes him throw the heavier ball.

For a twelve year old I think that is a little ridiculous. Maybe if he is 16 - 18 that might be alright. The idea behind the heavier ball is to make the pitcher throw a little harder. Based on experience I didn't like or enjoy it. I even think it hurt my performance since the real ball feels light and you feel you have to throw it harder to compensate. It is ridiculous that your brothers coach has him doing that. That guy must be out of his mind. Try to help your brother out in some way, if possible.

On my old travel team, we had this one really rich kid, and he paid for a High school varsity coach to coach our team for the Fall season. The kid was a basket-case and a half though. The coach he brought in got so fed up with the kid he quit, and there goes the team.

Off topic.....I'm a FA now and am looking for a team. 13U South Fla. Palm Beach, Broward county. Anyone have a team, or know somebody who has a team? I already have some teams that I'm looking at, but.............

I have a 12 year old brother whose coach has this idea for the kids to warm up with heavy balls. Isn't this a stupid idea? I thought playing with waterlogged balls could ruin your arm, won't heavy balls do the same? Like when my brother warms up, the coach makes him throw the heavier ball.

When I played in Little League, at 13 years old, there was a kid whose coach made him do that. About a month into the season, he needed surgery on his arm and his pitching career was done.

i read somewhere that throwing a lighter ball (like... an ounce) will increase your velocity, because your muscles will move faster when you throw a lighter ball, and that throwing a heavier ball will make you throw slower, because your muscles get used to moving slower.

anybody else ever seen that?

I heard the same thing. Basically what I tell kids that I help out with on High School teams and the 13 year old team I coach is to run, lift a little bit of weights, and throw with a normal ball. Not a tennis ball, not a medicine ball. I'm old school when I tell the kids what to do. I also make it aware that they only work hard if they want to. Not because their pyscho baseball dad wants them to, not because I want them to, only if they want to improve themselves. That normally gets them to work hard for me.

• 4 months later...

Well, the update is that my 9th grader not only made his JV baseball team, but may have stolen the 10th grader's 1st base position. He said the coaches were talking about him after they got to see him hit outside for the first time this week and when it came time to set some initial positions, last year's 1st baseman found himself in the outfield. Time will tell, but this will be a good win for him as the last few years have probably had him feeling coming up short for various reasons. The tutor was a definite payoff and that in combination with improving his workout regiment, diet and just some general growth spurt stuff, he will hopefully see some pitching time as well. This guy taught him well in the slider department and now he can work on honing that as well as possibly a slider/change or straight up change. It would be fun to see him start his very first year of HS ball, especially after the hard work he's done. Thanks to all here for the great feedback and insights as always.

• 2 months later...

Well, the epilogue is a rather successful season. Unofficially he had a .470 BA and led the teams in doubles and even cranked about a 375' line drive dinger (only HR hit this year between JV and V). He held the clean-up position once he gained it and also had 2 pitching saves in 2 attempts. Wished he would have had more tries, but others were considered ahead of him despite his success. Well, we may venture to South Carolina and he'll have a chance to work his way into the Lexington system hopefully. Again, much thanks to the advice and tips around here!

Archived